Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I'm gonna say it...you won't like it

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> RE: I'm gonna say it...you won't like it Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I'm gonna say it...you won't like it - 10/29/2019 2:33:55 PM   
Ostwindflak

I like not being able to stack in this game. Generally I don't care one way or another as long as it fits the game the stacking/non-stacking is designed for. Example: I like and play the board game Beyond the Rhine which can have significant stacking per hex on the frontline. Makes for a bit of a math fest at times, but still fun system. Then I equally like and play Unconditional Surrender: WWII in Europe that is modelled like this game, no stacking of ground units, only one air with a ground unit or both of those stacked with a naval unit at a port hex. Great for the way the game was designed.

I feel that the non stacking suits this game due to the scale of it and planning when the right time to break down a unit for an encirclement adds flavor to it.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 31
RE: I'm gonna say it...you won't like it - 10/29/2019 3:04:21 PM   
mavraamides

Personally I find stacking sort of tedious. It's too hard to see what is going on when I have to dig through 3-4 units in every hex just to see where all my units are. And it's hard to get a feel for where the strong and weak points are because you have to cycle through and add everything up.

Plus I know from experience that writing an AI with stacking is an order of magnitude harder because of the combinatorial explosion you get when multiple units can occupy the same hex. Which means either the AI would be much worse or much slower.

What I do like is that I can move my units through my own units which I don't believe most of these no stacking grand strategy games allow. I personally feel that this gets around a lot of the limitations of stacking.

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 32
RE: I'm gonna say it...you won't like it - 10/29/2019 5:26:24 PM   
basilstaghare

quote:

WarPlan is a corp level game. The abstract stacking comes from corps and armies being able to detach/split. That is the compromise I made. Functionally it is MUCH easier than manipulating stacks of counters.

I agree. I am not in favor of stacking land units.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 33
RE: I'm gonna say it...you won't like it - 10/29/2019 7:16:48 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Glad what I am doing works for everyone. It takes a while to realize how fast the game moves with this arrangement of units. It isn't obvious on the surface till you play it. It took me months to work out all the details.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to basilstaghare)
Post #: 34
RE: I'm gonna say it...you won't like it - 10/29/2019 9:58:09 PM   
Worg64

I have managed several Breakthrougs in the lowlands as well as in Russia. The tactic is hit the flanks on two side with inf corp and then let the tank rumble in on the cleared hex and contiue attacking or move further and pocket the enemies center. Then mop up the defenders First, prep the attacks by bombing the targets and use supply truck to bolster the attacks. Keep the good combat-mobility HQ close by.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> RE: I'm gonna say it...you won't like it Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI