Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Logged] Game speed and pause/unpause keys often lose focus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Logged] Game speed and pause/unpause keys often lose focus Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Logged] Game speed and pause/unpause keys often lose f... - 11/26/2019 1:42:14 AM   
sekullbe

I've noticed that very often popup menus or the right-side status/orders bar are stealing the space, enter, and +/- keys. This usually results in me making some change, waiting a bit, and flailing away on the space bar while something I wanted to pause and deal with goes whizzing by. I see how the game is using the default Windows key commands in some places which steals focus from the map, but is it possible to set up a pause or real-time button that's guaranteed to work in all circumstances?

< Message edited by apache85 -- 11/28/2019 10:24:39 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Game speed and pause/unpause keys often lose focus - 11/26/2019 2:26:12 AM   
marksdoran

I've developed the habit of always left clicking on the main map window after doing more or less anything with another window -- for precisely the reason stated above. I agree it's a bit of a nuisance to have to worry about actively managing focus though.

(in reply to sekullbe)
Post #: 2
RE: Game speed and pause/unpause keys often lose focus - 11/26/2019 12:15:57 PM   
sekullbe

That's what I do as well now. I've also seen some kind of focus issue with popup event messages- I have to click close several times to get it to register. I suppose the OS is treating the window as a totally separate element so I have to click once to focus it, with the click not making it through to the button, then again to make the button register the click.

UI is a tricky beast- it feels almost whiny to say "I had to click twice" but something that takes away flow can be really annoying in practice :)

(in reply to marksdoran)
Post #: 3
RE: Game speed and pause/unpause keys often lose focus - 11/26/2019 4:21:06 PM   
marksdoran

Focus should be totally controllable from the code, at least as long as it is not moved to a window that's part of a different application. But this is one of the reasons why writing UI code is one of my least favorite things: it's a lot of work to get it just to look right and do what you want it to do. Then on top of that you have all the user experience concerns (like how to manage focus so it's not annoying ;)). UI code to me always feels like a giant bug generator

(in reply to sekullbe)
Post #: 4
RE: Game speed and pause/unpause keys often lose focus - 11/28/2019 3:38:01 AM   
Rory Noonan

Updated existing ticket

(in reply to marksdoran)
Post #: 5
RE: Game speed and pause/unpause keys often lose focus - 11/29/2019 9:40:20 AM   
JamesHunt

It would be great to have the pause/time hotkeys work globally. Together with the seperate message log stealing the focus issue, the hotkeys at times can become basically unusable.

Would also be great to be able to use them when the TacView (fullscreen) window is active.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 6
RE: Game speed and pause/unpause keys often lose focus - 1/16/2020 10:21:44 AM   
michaelm75au

Are the hotkeys working better now under beta 1121.5?

Michael

(in reply to JamesHunt)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Logged] Game speed and pause/unpause keys often lose focus Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI