Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Dec 15th, 1941

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Dec 15th, 1941 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dec 15th, 1941 - 1/4/2020 4:51:35 PM   
Anachro

@the1henson We need all the troops we can get on the main one; indeed, an additional division is on its way to Pearl north of Midway currently. That said, 2 SNLF Assault divisions (~200 AV) will take Midway and Wake Island and then proceed to occupy the islands around Pearl. All this activity is coming at a cost in the DEI, where Qball actually probably has a slight advantage in the number of combat vessels.

Interesting for me, Qball's carriers appeared down by Luganville the turn previous, sinking a small transport force. So for me, I know they are far away and I have a free hand in the area.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 1/4/2020 4:52:21 PM >

(in reply to the1henson)
Post #: 31
RE: Dec 15th, 1941 - 1/6/2020 4:07:52 PM   
Bif1961

Good luck on your very bold stroke.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 32
RE: Dec 15th, 1941 - 1/6/2020 5:20:08 PM   
Canoerebel

With two very big caveats, there is only one reason to invade Hawaii.

First the caveats: (1) you may know 10x more than I do; (2) any attack anywhere can become decisive if the enemy chooses to give battle there and takes significant losses.

The one reason to invade Hawaii is to facilitate ops against the West Coast. There are a number of possibilities, chiefly: (1) taking Canadian airfields in order to strategic bomb West Coast industry (lots of strat bombing points); (2) to actually invade the USA, primarily targeting ship- and aircraft construction bases; and (3) to actually conquer the USA, which I don't think is possible, but who knows.

Back in the day, Q-Ball was one of the IJ players who had the ability to engage in such a complex op. He'll be a tough customer.

After I played Q-Ball, my next opponent (Panzerjagger Hortlund) engaged in an invasion of Canada and air/and KB ops vs. USA industry. He didn't go all-out, and it fizzled, but there was a lot of discussion in the AAR about possibilities, including good comments from Alfred, Bullwinkle and others. Lots of cool stuff. If you wish to read, look up the old "War and Peas" AAR.

Great to see you taking on something so bold and fun. Good luck!

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 33
RE: Dec 15th, 1941 - 1/6/2020 10:36:57 PM   
Bearcat2

If you take Pearl, and I don't see how it is possible for the US to hold it in this mod if Japan wants it; it does impact the 48 ground units and 18 air units reinforcements due to arrive at Pearl

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 34
RE: Dec 15th, 1941 - 1/6/2020 11:32:06 PM   
aaffins

This certainly looks interesting. I assume you have been able to close the fields at PH and Lahaina? How bad is the flak hurting your air groups?

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 35
RE: Dec 15th, 1941 - 1/13/2020 3:26:45 PM   
Anachro

Three whole divisions are now at hand on the beaches of Oahu. The assault begins. Forts are down to 1.

@affins the flak hurts, the airfield was closed but now is not; hopefully we can take it soon.

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 36
RE: Dec 15th, 1941 - 1/13/2020 4:01:35 PM   
BillBrown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bearcat2

If you take Pearl, and I don't see how it is possible for the US to hold it in this mod if Japan wants it; it does impact the 48 ground units and 18 air units reinforcements due to arrive at Pearl

It only delays them and they show up in San Francisco. Only ships destined to arrive at that port are destroyed.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 37
RE: Dec 15th, 1941 - 1/31/2020 8:37:42 PM   
Cheesesteak

how's the game going?

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 38
RE: Dec 15th, 1941 - 2/19/2020 5:56:12 PM   
Anachro

I will be updating this soon. Suffice to say, PH has proven tougher than we though, but recent turns show 5-6 very damaged BBs still in port there and reinforcements on the way to hopefully take the base. We'll see.

(in reply to Cheesesteak)
Post #: 39
RE: Dec 15th, 1941 - 2/19/2020 6:26:34 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

I will be updating this soon. Suffice to say, PH has proven tougher than we though, but recent turns show 5-6 very damaged BBs still in port there and reinforcements on the way to hopefully take the base. We'll see.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cheesesteak -- 2/19/2020 6:27:14 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 40
RE: Dec 15th, 1941 - 2/20/2020 4:21:27 PM   
Bif1961

What's your vector Victor?

Post #: 41
RE: Dec 15th, 1941 - 2/21/2020 3:07:05 PM   
Anachro

Q-ball is on a 10-day trip right now and just sent me an email from Vienna. He gets back Sunday, so I'll probably spend tomorrow working on the turn with a potential update Sunday.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 42
January 15th, 1942 - 2/24/2020 4:54:56 PM   
Anachro

January 15th, 1942

PH has been very frustrating; we had ~1500 AV on the island but could not reduce the defenders at ~700 av with 0 forts, when doing so we suffered bad casualties and are currently sitting at ~1200 AV; no doubt in the mean time while I had to replenish my carriers and BBs, the airfields were repaired and forts at PH might be back up to 1 or 2. So, we take a different method: SNLF assault divisions have taken Lahaina and will secure other bases before moving on Pearl Harbor. We plan to use Lahaina's port and airfield as a replenishment base for daily bombardment of Pearl by air and sea, though we have to ever be mindful or Allied carriers appearing on the scene. We will setup nav search as soon as feasible at Lahaina. Meanwhile, two additional divisions are on their way to Pearl.

I'd like to wrap this up soon, so I can still have some of my landing advantage going into March with which to take the DEI and more of the SoPac. Obviously, we with Pearl hopefully taken, we plan raids on Seattle and Portland to wipe out allied CVEs. One thing I noticed in my modded version of BTS: I forgot to reduce the month availability of the engines needed for the A7M2 Sam, so I've had to invest more there than anticipated to try to get it up to speed with the availability of the actual airframe.

Elsewhere, Allied forces are concentrated in Manila, but it'll be awhile before we can take that city; we have reached the outskirts of Singapore. I need to take Pearl soon to get naval support back for invading Java soon.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 43
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 2/24/2020 5:32:31 PM   
Cheesesteak

I've got about a dozen questions, but will hold off from asking all of them since you have multiple games and AARs going.

- could you share your aircraft/engine R&D? Screenshots would be fine. I'm playing a BTS game and struggling with planning (at Jan 15th game time as well), so selfishly would value the conversation

- What does the area around Singers look like?

- is your KB united at this point?

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 44
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 2/24/2020 7:10:26 PM   
Anachro

1. I have not finished my R&D/engines yet, more later probably.
2. I don't have much of a navy supporting the DEI at the moment, John has kept surface forces in the area, but I have large numbers of troops making their way down towards Singapore, which has a garrison of ~30k.
3. Yes, one minor caveat being that a CVL took a sub hit and CV Shokaku a mine hit at Midway, both are in port for repairs.

Post #: 45
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 2/24/2020 7:47:36 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheesesteak

I've got about a dozen questions, but will hold off from asking all of them since you have multiple games and AARs going.

- could you share your aircraft/engine R&D? Screenshots would be fine. I'm playing a BTS game and struggling with planning (at Jan 15th game time as well), so selfishly would value the conversation

If you don't mind a suggestion for your R & D, put all of your aircraft and engines in a spreadsheet. Go by aircraft model number and what they upgrade to with the same engine. If it upgrades to a different engine, then it is a different line. Then sort the spreadsheet by engines. See which planes that you need, which ones that you want, and the corresponding engines. Note that each scenario may be different for engines with the aircraft.

If an aircraft has a unique engine, do you really want to build it? If you can concentrate on the main engines that you need for the aircraft that you want, it may become easier. For me, that means no early Judys nor Tonys.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 46
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 2/24/2020 8:19:58 PM   
specie1

interesting

< Message edited by specie1 -- 2/24/2020 8:20:27 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 47
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 2/25/2020 1:37:51 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

If you don't mind a suggestion for your R & D, put all of your aircraft and engines in a spreadsheet. Go by aircraft model number and what they upgrade to with the same engine. If it upgrades to a different engine, then it is a different line. Then sort the spreadsheet by engines. See which planes that you need, which ones that you want, and the corresponding engines. Note that each scenario may be different for engines with the aircraft.

If an aircraft has a unique engine, do you really want to build it? If you can concentrate on the main engines that you need for the aircraft that you want, it may become easier. For me, that means no early Judys nor Tonys.

I spend enough time in Excel during the 9-5, so I try to avoid it whenever possible. Thank the Emperor for Tracker!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 48
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 2/25/2020 2:17:45 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

I spend enough time in Excel during the 9-5, so I try to avoid it whenever possible. Thank the Emperor for Tracker!

You can also use the sort by engine part of the aircraft replacements to see the aircraft use by engines, if that is easier.

― Julia Child

Post #: 49
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 2/25/2020 2:40:22 PM   
Anachro

All the information is available in-game, but tracker can certainly help simplify the visualization of it all. I always have a rough time getting tracker working correctly, however. In-game, you can go to your industry screen: in the R&D section when you click on the plane type it will also shown on the right what engine that plane type uses, be it either one currently available or unavailable. From there, it's a matter of figuring out which of these engines are most important and which you want to prioritize right away for developing and getting to the engine pool bonus to help in the R&D of the airframe. For actual production, it's a matter of counting up how many engines you use monthly for production efforts (i.e. counting up the engine type per a/c times the amt produced) to determine how much you need daily and how much of a pool you want to build-up for the future.

At least that's how I do it for the most part. I don't claim to be the most efficient or best at it.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 50
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 2/25/2020 4:00:35 PM   
RangerJoe

Don't forget to add in the engines used in the bonus R & D when the engine pool is over 500. A size 30 R & D factory will use one engine per day but doubles the research so you get the aircraft faster.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 51
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 2/29/2020 1:42:19 PM   
821Bobo

quote:

Obviously, we with Pearl hopefully taken, we plan raids on Seattle and Portland to wipe out allied CVEs.

What are the odds that this will work against thinking and experienced player?

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 52
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 2/29/2020 2:24:52 PM   
Canoerebel

It'll be hard. At the moment it seems like Anachro is counting on KB to do the bombing. If so, he'll lose a lot of his aircraft.

The more sure way to bomb American industry is to invade Canada, build an airfield or two quickly, and then use LBA. To really succeed, this takes planning from Day 1 of the war. Taking Pearl can be a help, but the Japanese need to be doing other planning, implementing at the same time, not beginning after Pearl falls.

Anacrho might figure out a way but there's a good chance he'll have to scrub most of his major strategic bombing ideas. He can target secondary things, like Fresno oil, but the major industry is likely to be too hard to get at.

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 53
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 3/1/2020 6:26:12 PM   
RangerJoe

The KB can raid along the West Coast keeping fighter units tied down while LBA works from Canada. This is where the long legged Nell would come in handy for raids.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 54
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 3/3/2020 4:24:51 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Anachro: "We plan raids on Seattle and Portland to wipe out allied CVEs."

The only way to wipe them out is to take those bases (although I think you'd need to take Tacoma rather than Seattle). I'm guessing Q-Ball would have those bases covered. What do you intend to do, Anachro?

Anyway, thanks for the interesting opening. This will be one AAR to watch.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 55
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 3/3/2020 2:33:38 PM   
Anachro

It would have to be done in lightning raids in March, so that'd I still have the landing bonus, but given I'm so far behind schedule, I'm evaluating this all of course. Taking light Canada from which to do LBA bombing has its merits. I am building up Japanese 4E capabilities given that they are available in this mod.

And then there's the fact that given my naval concentration at Pearl, I havent yet launched ops against Java or Palembang, etc. I need to do that; things are running against the wire.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 56
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 3/3/2020 2:54:57 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: 821Bobo
quote:

Obviously, we with Pearl hopefully taken, we plan raids on Seattle and Portland to wipe out allied CVEs.

What are the odds that this will work against thinking and experienced player?

Slim. I think it can work only as a surprise, or with commitment of everything Japan has, which will stall the early-war expansion towards vital resources.
West Coast has several potent land locked units, and this mod seems to not alter the roster. Experienced Allied player should have all those on the rails near (or in) the critical bases. There was a lot of discussion on the forum recently about US ship-producing bases, and even one AAR where a novice Allied player was taken by surprise, losing Portland.

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 57
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 3/3/2020 3:01:17 PM   
Anachro

Q-ball is a very experienced player; and yes, what I did when I worried about John invading North America was have my troops on rails and in key locations ready to go anywhere on a moment's notice.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 58
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 3/10/2020 7:35:07 PM   
Anachro

Updates soon. Pearl Harbor should hopefully fall soon. Back to 0 forts and 500 AV. Then we need to rush back and complete conquests of the DEI.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 59
RE: January 15th, 1942 - 3/10/2020 8:43:55 PM   
HansBolter

I sure hope for your sake that Pearl is worth the forts you are going to have to reduce at Palembang.......

Hans

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Dec 15th, 1941 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI