Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 1:38:23 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

It suffers from two serious flaws: (1) using total cases instead of per capita (so that larger countries are inherently overrepresented), and

Huh? The one you posted has only five countries. The FT graph has 25 countries. and it's using total cases in relation to percentage growth and number of days since 100 cases. So yes, it is limited, but has quite a clear and precise rendering of what it is intended to show from the data.

quote:

(2) it fails to give the context that some countries (USA) have accelerated testing tremendously, leading to a big rise in cases (meaning the big rise was in test results, not in cases). So the graph is highly distorted.

That is true, but the actual text additions do give some extra context to the points, and I would guess that in future, if that showed up clearly as a massive continuing spike, they might post a note about that. The big rise in(positive) test results IS a big rise in cases, and to say it's not a rise in cases is very misleading. That's exactly what it is!

You can't show everything, but from this it's clear that Korea, Singapore, and Hong Kong have (so far) really limited both total number of cases and percentage growth.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1651
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 1:53:26 PM   
Canoerebel

I found the presentation yesterday interesting. When it came under criticism for a variety of things, it caught me by surprise. My immediate thought was, "Oh, no, I posted something that was flawed. Darn it."

But as I've looked at the criticisms carefully, and read back through my original post, I've discovered that the criticisms are flawed and that those who make them have various levels of bias or misunderstanding.

That helps me to better understand perspectives going forward and knowing how to present data.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1652
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 2:52:32 PM   
RangerJoe

Each graph shows the information in a certain way, in a certain context. If you want to find fault with it and state that it is no good, then I suggest that you make your own graph and post it. In the meantime, use the information presented with the caveat that it is not perfect.

No, I don't mean to insult anybody, either. If I did, I would do it directly.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1653
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 3:18:54 PM   
Canoerebel

Number of recoveries in Korea has jumped.

About 7-10 days ago, Korea reported 51 deaths total, 118 recoveries total. Since then, 53 deaths and about 2800 recoveries.

Some countries are reporting strikingly low numbers of cases, including India and Russia. If true, why?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1654
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 3:25:09 PM   
USSAmerica

I'm also very curious about the relatively low numbers from India. I'd love to believe they were accurate.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1655
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 3:30:41 PM   
witpqs

A study regarding travel bans, social distancing, etc in China.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.03.20029843v3

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 1656
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 3:34:20 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Question: where is the daily info graph Kull and others have posted that shows daily testing trends? Thx

For some reason they didn't publish a report yesterday (for 3/20), but we are back in business today. Since only one day was skipped, I obtained the totals from 3/20 and the per-province percentages from 3/19 and used that to "fill-in the blanks". As a result, the day-over-day numbers at the province level (and even north-vs-south) are a bit suspect, but still we can see that two trends seem to be taking hold:

1) The rate of overall case load increase is holding steady (between 14.6% and 14.9% over 3 days)

2) The rate of increase appears to be diminishing in the north, but rising rapidly elsewhere

Pertinent links:

- Daily Italian Stats by province here

- Original post with regional map of Italy here

- The last post on this topic here

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kull -- 3/23/2020 12:30:15 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1657
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 3:46:18 PM   
Kull

quote:

Question: where is the daily info graph Kull and others have posted that shows daily testing trends? Thx

Actually you were probably looking for this chart. As noted in an earlier post, I find the Spanish totals to be highly suspect:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 1658
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 3:49:44 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

Actually you were probably looking for this chart. As noted in an earlier post, I find the Spanish totals to be highly suspect:

Chart, yes, sorry! That's it. Thanks

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 1659
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 3:50:39 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

I saw the article at the link a few days ago - an analysis of the passengers on the Diamond Princess that was quarantined in Japan (?) back in January (?). I don't know anything about the author or his qualifications (probably not medical), but this raises a lot of questions about the response to COVID-19.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/16/diamond-princess-mysteries/

Some highlights - "some 83% (82.7% – 83.9%) of the passengers never got the disease at all"

"slightly less than half the passengers (48.6% ± 2.0%) who got the disease showed NO symptoms"

"There were a total of 7 deaths among those on board. All of them were in people over seventy"

7/~3635 = .0019257 or 1.9% death rate (3635 is my estimate from the first graph of the total number of pax. IIRC ALL of them were tested before they were allowed to leave the ship.

A question - the 83% who didn't get the disease; are they still carriers? Or did they test negative? The article doesn't say. I would assume that those who showed no symptoms WERE infected AND were carriers, and could infect others when they got home.

< Message edited by Uncivil Engineer -- 3/22/2020 3:53:25 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1660
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 3:51:49 PM   
pbiggar

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

A study regarding travel bans, social distancing, etc in China.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.03.20029843v3

Very interesting analysis regarding the importance of reducing contact early in the pandemic. (NPI = non-pharmaceutical interventions)

If NPIs could have been conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks earlier in China, cases could have been reduced by 66%, 86%, and 95%, respectively, together with significantly reducing the number of affected areas. However, if NPIs were conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks later, the number of cases could have shown a 3-fold, 7-fold, and 18-fold increase across China, respectively.

Results also suggest that the social distancing intervention should be continued for the next few months in China to prevent case numbers increasing again after travel restrictions were lifted on February 17, 2020.

Conclusion: The NPIs deployed in China appear to be effectively containing the COVID-19 outbreak, but the efficacy of the different interventions varied, with the early case detection and contact reduction being the most effective. Moreover, deploying the NPIs early is also important to prevent further spread. Early and integrated NPI strategies should be prepared, adopted and adjusted to minimize health, social and economic impacts in affected regions around the World.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1661
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 3:57:25 PM   
obvert

quote:

I found the presentation yesterday interesting. When it came under criticism for a variety of things, it caught me by surprise. My immediate thought was, "Oh, no, I posted something that was flawed. Darn it."

But as I've looked at the criticisms carefully, and read back through my original post, I've discovered that the criticisms are flawed and that those who make them have various levels of bias or misunderstanding.

That helps me to better understand perspectives going forward and knowing how to present data.

You ciritcized me for being "rude" earlier when I questioned one of your posts, threatened the green button, and now have accused me of being both Orwellian and biased.

You're amazing. That's all I can say Dan. I think you're a great guy, but man, questioning anything you do sure gets your fur up.

This was a chance for me to actually think about something I'm doing with students right now. I am open to any comments about my posts precisely because I'm not interpreting data, I'm interpreting the presentation of data, and not doing that to make a point, but to see the data more clearly. What you posted has first of all nothing to do with you, and it is not flawed, just could show information better by adding other data points.

Offer criticisms so I can learn, so we can learn, so we can be more informed. But please don't attempt to marginalise people by calling them biased.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1662
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 4:02:25 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

I saw the article at the link a few days ago - an analysis of the passengers on the Diamond Princess that was quarantined in Japan (?) back in January (?). I don't know anything about the author or his qualifications (probably not medical), but this raises a lot of questions about the response to COVID-19.

Some highlights - "some 83% (82.7% – 83.9%) of the passengers never got the disease at all"

"slightly less than half the passengers (48.6% ± 2.0%) who got the disease showed NO symptoms"

"There were a total of 7 deaths among those on board. All of them were in people over seventy"

7/~3635 = .0019257 or 1.9% death rate (3635 is my estimate from the first graph of the total number of pax. IIRC ALL of them were tested before they were allowed to leave the ship.

A question - the 83% who didn't get the disease; are they still carriers? Or did they test negative? The article doesn't say. I would assume that those who showed no symptoms WERE infected AND were carriers, and could infect others when they got home.

Back on March 2nd (feels like years ago) I posted an analysis of this, and I still think it's relevant:

quote:

I am not a medical professional, but to me the Diamond Princess is the closest thing we have to a coronavirus infection laboratory. Or at least a contained environment, where you might be able to look at the numbers and draw some conclusions. As far as we can tell, the virus began with a single passenger who boarded on 1/20 in Japan and departed in Hong Kong on 1/25. He was diagnosed in Hong Kong 6 days later, which is when the cruise line was notified and the saga began.

There's an article (mostly anecdote and innuendo) on what happened aboard during this period. Although readers are advised to have a large grain of salt close to hand, it does suggest that there was a fair amount of chaos involving the process of testing and treatment, and the entire environment was hardly "hospital sterile". Which, for our purposes, is actually kind of ideal since in that sense it's pretty close to what we're going to see as and when this thing rises up elsewhere.

Some numbers:

- 2/1: There were 3700 passengers and crew when the cruise was routed back to Yokohama
- 2/4: The ship arrived and was placed in quarantine.
- 2/6: Announced that 41 passengers/crew tested positive (41)
- 2/9: 66 more positives (107)
- 2/11: 39 positives (146)
- 2/16: 67 positives (213). "High risk" individuals identified, 67 of which tested negative, 12 of these to be disembarked.
- 2/18: 169 positives (382)
- 2/19: Quarantine period ends. 600 "guests" who tested negative allowed to depart (will undergo additional 14 day quarantine in their home countries)

At that point I can't find additional sources to give us the daily counts, but as of today, this website says the numbers are:

- 3/1: 705 cases, 7 deaths, 100 recovered, 36 "serious/critical"

So let's do some math:

- If we assume the contagion started on 1/20, it took 43 days to infect 705 of 3700 (19%)
- 7 of 705 have died, so the mortality rate (among those exposed) is 1%
- At least some of the 36 "serious/critical" cases could still succumb, so the worst case fatality rate would be 6% (although that's clearly unlikely)

The takeaways:

- "Local" fatality rates could get pretty high when/if this thing gets into vulnerable populations. Nursing homes or old age communities could be scary places.

- It's hard to imagine any environment "more communal" than a cruise ship, yet with unrecognized and uncontained spread underway for 16 days, we still have a pretty low contagion rate which appears to have maxed out at 19%.

- That's not nothing, but it certainly implies that if people take reasonable precautions, they should be pretty safe. And for those who are not in the "high risk" categories, it's more likely to hit you as an extremely nasty case of the flu. Unpleasant yes, but not the end of the world.

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 1663
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 4:07:11 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

Back on March 2nd (feels like years ago) I posted an analysis of this, and I still think it's relevant:

quote:

I am not a medical professional, but to me the Diamond Princess is the closest thing we have to a coronavirus infection laboratory. Or at least a contained environment, where you might be able to look at the numbers and draw some conclusions. As far as we can tell, the virus began with a single passenger who boarded on 1/20 in Japan and departed in Hong Kong on 1/25. He was diagnosed in Hong Kong 6 days later, which is when the cruise line was notified and the saga began.

There's an article (mostly anecdote and innuendo) on what happened aboard during this period. Although readers are advised to have a large grain of salt close to hand, it does suggest that there was a fair amount of chaos involving the process of testing and treatment, and the entire environment was hardly "hospital sterile". Which, for our purposes, is actually kind of ideal since in that sense it's pretty close to what we're going to see as and when this thing rises up elsewhere.

Some numbers:

- 2/1: There were 3700 passengers and crew when the cruise was routed back to Yokohama
- 2/4: The ship arrived and was placed in quarantine.
- 2/6: Announced that 41 passengers/crew tested positive (41)
- 2/9: 66 more positives (107)
- 2/11: 39 positives (146)
- 2/16: 67 positives (213). "High risk" individuals identified, 67 of which tested negative, 12 of these to be disembarked.
- 2/18: 169 positives (382)
- 2/19: Quarantine period ends. 600 "guests" who tested negative allowed to depart (will undergo additional 14 day quarantine in their home countries)

At that point I can't find additional sources to give us the daily counts, but as of today, this website says the numbers are:

- 3/1: 705 cases, 7 deaths, 100 recovered, 36 "serious/critical"

So let's do some math:

- If we assume the contagion started on 1/20, it took 43 days to infect 705 of 3700 (19%)
- 7 of 705 have died, so the mortality rate (among those exposed) is 1%
- At least some of the 36 "serious/critical" cases could still succumb, so the worst case fatality rate would be 6% (although that's clearly unlikely)

The takeaways:

- "Local" fatality rates could get pretty high when/if this thing gets into vulnerable populations. Nursing homes or old age communities could be scary places.

- It's hard to imagine any environment "more communal" than a cruise ship, yet with unrecognized and uncontained spread underway for 16 days, we still have a pretty low contagion rate which appears to have maxed out at 19%.

- That's not nothing, but it certainly implies that if people take reasonable precautions, they should be pretty safe. And for those who are not in the "high risk" categories, it's more likely to hit you as an extremely nasty case of the flu. Unpleasant yes, but not the end of the world.

I agree. I also just saw something (will try to find link) that said a "contact" with someone who has it would have a 1-5% chance of passing the virus. The range was caused by duration of contact.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 1664
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 4:10:37 PM   
Canoerebel

Erik, most of my comments were directed generally, at a group response. Except Orwellian, which was in response to what you said. I apologize for that.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/22/2020 4:20:52 PM >

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 1665
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 4:23:26 PM   
Kull

quote:

Specific to that question, 100% of passengers and crew were tested. Going one step further, 100% of those who tested negative were put into a mandatory, enforced (as in they were put in camps/hotels) quarantine. Do you remember the video from a few weeks ago, showing the drunks in Ukraine attacking a convoy of buses? The people on board those buses were Diamond Princess passengers enroute to an old TB ward in the Ukraine where they would be quarantined and undergo observation. Most of them weren't even Ukrainians.

So it's highly unlikely that any of the Diamond Princess passengers and crew were able to infect their home populations. I doubt that any left quarantine without taking and passing a test AFTER the quarantine period ended.

Post #: 1666
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 4:32:46 PM   
durnedwolf

Report from Bishop CA

I took my grandkids out bicycling Friday and Saturday. There's not a lot of traffic on highway 395, which cuts through Bishop. Saturday afternoon I also put new line on my fishing poles and took the grandkids out to the river. My granddaughter caught about a dozen small bluegill. Fortunately, they were all hooked near the lip and not inhaled by the greedy little buggers. My grandson hooked into a nice-sized trout - maybe two pounds. I'll be cooking that for him for his lunch today.

So in Inyo County, we still don't have a confirmed case. We picked up our first confirmed case in Mammoth Lakes, part of Mono County, yesterday.

Mono County does, what I think, is a pretty good daily report.

https://coronavirus.monocounty.ca.gov/pages/briefing

For those that are sharing data - please don't stop. I'm not tripping over who thinks they are right or wrong about this or that - I can figure things out fairly well and if I have questions I'm not afraid to ask.

I just really like getting the different perspectives and views of this epidemic from all over the states and other parts of the world.

Thanks everyone - keep the hands clean and maintain your proper distance

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1667
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 4:52:04 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

quote:

Specific to that question, 100% of passengers and crew were tested. Going one step further, 100% of those who tested negative were put into a mandatory, enforced (as in they were put in camps/hotels) quarantine. Do you remember the video from a few weeks ago, showing the drunks in Ukraine attacking a convoy of buses? The people on board those buses were Diamond Princess passengers enroute to an old TB ward in the Ukraine where they would be quarantined and undergo observation. Most of them weren't even Ukrainians.

So it's highly unlikely that any of the Diamond Princess passengers and crew were able to infect their home populations. I doubt that any left quarantine without taking and passing a test AFTER the quarantine period ended.

Kull, thanks for that. With 1665 messages, and counting, and a 70+ year old memory, I don't recall seeing your earlier message.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 1668
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 5:11:22 PM   
Kull

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kull, thanks for that. With 1665 messages, and counting, and a 70+ year old memory, I don't recall seeing your earlier message.

It was literally 50 pages ago, so, not surprising!

Post #: 1669
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 6:53:47 PM   
Canoerebel

Italy reported 651 deaths today; down from 793 yesterday.

USA is already reporting it's highest daily mortality number, with a lot of the day to go.

Headlines and news reports continue at about 100% negative, with a continued trend of alarmist reporting (always choosing the most extreme number when a think-tank or governmental entity gives a range, etc.) There are exceptions but the overall reporting is highly negative.

We're in the middle of this (I hope it's not early still!) now, with no exact end in sight. We don't know which if any country is leveling off. We don't know how long this will last. But news reports of 29 months, or 18 months of isolation, etc. give most people - those who don't dig or have experience handling thigs kind of data and info - a dismal or panicky feeling.

When the curves flatten or drop, then we'll know. Then we'll know when trends began and ended. And everything will take on a sense of inevitability. "I knew it was overblown" or "I figured it wouldn't be that bad" etc.

But right now we're in the midst of this - with the open-ended possibilities meaning even worst-case scenarios may be optimistic.

So, from a historian's perspective, what individuals perceive and experience during the days of uncertainty will be particularly interesting. Not summaries later, when all was settled and took on a seeming inevitableness.

Your daily reports of what you're doing and thinking, and what you're seeing in your neighborhood, and even your thoughts about reports your seeing and your fears and hopes, will be of intense interest to your family and historians in years to come.

For some years and perhaps decades, people will focus on what the leaders and experts thought. Later, it's the everyday man and women whose experiences will be of most interest. After WWII, it was the generals and statesman whose thoughts dominated the books. Gradually, and as they died away, it was the firsthand accounts of the privates and Rosie the Riveters and folks at home.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/22/2020 6:56:56 PM >

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 1670
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 6:57:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

It can't be that. That number almost certainly applies to just hospitalized cases. It was very weirdly low and stable for a week or so. Then a sudden jump today. Rational trends can't explain it. It's human error or neglect almost certainly, either in how the USA compiled or reported or by the table creator in updating.

It takes around 3 weeks after contracting the disease for serious illness to manifest itself. There would be a few days of milder symptoms before the respiratory distress starts and the person has to go to hospital. The mayor and governor of New York are saying the surge is hitting their hospitals and they are screaming for more capacity to be built (in existing structures) and supplied. They think only the Army Corps of Engineers can do it fast enough. The general in charge of the Corps of Engineers has met with them but he "hasn't been given a task order yet". Sounds like he is ready but FEMA isn't.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1671
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 7:08:55 PM   
RangerJoe

They would not build new building but use others converted into hospitals.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1672
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 7:12:26 PM   
RangerJoe

How to rile the panickers 101:

Ask them to compare the number of people infected and dead from influenza to the number of infected and dead from this Corona virus. They tend to get frothy at the mouth.

― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1673
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 7:12:58 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/childrens-covid-19-risks-unique-chinese-studies-find

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/us-studies-offer-clues-covid-19-swift-spread-severity

I'm curious about death-by-pneumonia for this. In the case of the flu, pneumonia is frequently caused by secondary infections, but nobody seems to have good numbers on how often that's the case. I'm wondering if Covid 19 is more likely to cause pneumonia directly and thus be the direct cause of death. Sure would like to know average length of time between infection and death, I'm suspecting it's shorter with this.

Copper is proving (as with other pathogens) to be a lethal surface to the virus. Wish all hospitals could switch from plastic, aluminum and stainless steel surfaces to copper, brass and bronze. In terms of doorknobs and push plates this would be a good thing everywhere and I hope building codes start reflecting that.

An MD who treats respiratory diseases explained this. The Flu does not directly damage the lungs (the coughing is from irritation of the brachia), it weakens the immune system so that pneumonia can get in and do the damage. COVID-19 directly attacks the lungs, making spongy tissue hard and less flexible. Pneumonia can then get in and finish the job by filling the rest of the lung with fluid.
That is why the ventilators are so crucial to keep the patient alive until the body can overcome the virus and treatment can get rid of the pneumonia.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 1674
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 7:13:29 PM   
Olorin

Orwellian atmosphere in Greece.
You can't go out except for work, food or medicine.
No more than 2 people in a car.
Choppers and drones to watch movements in the cities.

p.s. Except for marxist demonstrations in the central square of Athens. They are OK.

< Message edited by Olorin -- 3/22/2020 7:20:01 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1675
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 8:33:48 PM   
geofflambert

Last I knew, India wasn't testing, and that's why their numbers are so low. I believe a lot of people are dying without the actual cause being known. In some ways she's really not in this century yet. I don't want to start anything and I don't know enough to do that but Muslims and lower caste people are not always treated like real people who matter.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 1676
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 8:49:37 PM   
warspite1

The situation in Germany (certainly in comparison to Italy) is really strange. Here is an interesting article on this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/22/germany-low-coronavirus-mortality-rate-puzzles-experts

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 1677
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 9:10:54 PM   
obvert

The Spanish number here looks off considering they had about 30,000 tests done the day (or two?) before. I looked a bit farther and found a Reuters article that mentioned they have just gotten a shipment of 600k tests!

Looks like they're using them, but this mentioned it was supposed to be 80k a day. They say that 6 million more are on the way. This could be very interesting. The most proven way to slow a breakout is extensive testing, isolation and contact tracking like South Korea. Can they turn this tide?I hope so.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-spain/spain-to-boost-coronavirus-testing-as-deaths-surpass-1300-idUSKBN2180ZV

It's very reassuring that US testing is skyrocketing. Also an increase in the UK, but some countries still lagging. Surprised at the French number. Germany not here again but I think nearing 200k tests now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/22/2020 9:34:05 PM >

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 1678
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 9:34:38 PM   
Kull

quote:

The Spanish number here looks off considering they had about 30,000 tests done the day (or two?) before. I looked a bit farther and found a Reuters article that mentioned they have just gotten a shipment of 600k tests!

Looks like they're using them, but this mentioned it was supposed to be 80k a day. They say that 6 million more are on the way. This could be very interesting. The most proven way to slow a breakout is extensive testing, isolation and contact tracking like South Korea. Can they turn this tide?I hope so.

It's simply not believable. As in, "out and out lies". How does a country that has on-going out of control growth across 2/3 of it's provinces suddenly complete more tests than South Korea? A country which started testing before Spain and is the paragon of fast testing?

It wouldn't surprise me if 90% of their "tests" consisted of a thermometer.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1679
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/22/2020 9:39:02 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

It's simply not believable. As in, "out and out lies". How does a country that has on-going out of control growth across 2/3 of it's provinces suddenly complete more tests than South Korea? A country which started testing before Spain and is the paragon of fast testing?

It wouldn't surprise me if 90% of their "tests" consisted of a thermometer.

The same article mentioned robotic testing, but said that was a ways off. I agree, it is shocking, and I can't see how it goes up that much in such a short period. Unless they're going door to door.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 1680
Page:   <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI