Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 8:18:45 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Evidently, the French advocate for Hydroxyuracil feels it is an ethical problem to NOT give Hydroxyuracil so his study of 80 patients has NO control group.

That WOULD be correct if you already knew it worked...which we don't.

Fauci from NIH is right. You can't make a rational recommendation affecting millions without a control group.

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 2341
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 8:56:47 PM   
Chickenboy

Didn't Gov. Cuomo state earlier this week or late last week that they were going to be trying a drug cocktail trial on an exigency basis on critical patients in NYC? I wonder if they have and, if so, what their preliminary results are.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2342
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 9:03:37 PM   
DD696

They were authorized to start Tuesday. Today he said it has started but I cannot remember how many have been given to patients. Probably way too soon to know how much effect it will have.

President now saying he may quarantine the New York metro area. Guess we know now why the Ready Reserves are being activated.

Edit: I suppose a 73 year old asthmatic/COPD/cancer surviving Marine could be useful for a very limited time.

< Message edited by DD696 -- 3/28/2020 9:07:52 PM >

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2343
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 9:45:50 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

They were authorized to start Tuesday. Today he said it has started but I cannot remember how many have been given to patients. Probably way too soon to know how much effect it will have.

President now saying he may quarantine the New York metro area. Guess we know now why the Ready Reserves are being activated.

Edit: I suppose a 73 year old asthmatic/COPD/cancer surviving Marine could be useful for a very limited time.

Escape from New York should become a popular movie again.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 2344
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 10:16:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

Unfortunately, they still have enough critical patients that they should have a decent sample size for their study design.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 2345
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 10:21:32 PM   
RangerJoe

Would the people who have did not get the drug combination work as a control group if everyone now seriously ill were to receive the drug combination? This is in regards to a double blind study. Or would you use information for the same patient as to before and after the drug combination? Or analyze both scenarios?

― Julia Child

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2346
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 10:37:56 PM   
DD696

Yes, but how long does that take before relevant and believable results are accepted?

In other news, a cat in Belgium tested positive for covid-19. Very sick little kitty got it from human companion.

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2347
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 11:06:24 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

You know, I am pretty sure that is a pangolin fetus in the soup.

Angry yet? Turns out the Chinese ATE all their pangolins so they smuggle them in from Myanmar

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2351989415300342

Study in Nature suggests pangolin may be an intermediate or additional mammalian host. There may be another vector or "amplification" species involved. What is known that the greatest sequence homology between SARS-2 and other known Betacoronaviruses is with horseshoe bat and pangolin strains.

For SARS-1 it was civet and bat.

I would wager not one in this forum could sneak in a half-eaten candy bar into China but somehow live pangolin are backpacked in from Myanmar over mountains and jungles with no roads.

This is an interesting article that brings a bit more of the industrialised food industry under scrutiny as related to this outbreak. We now it's not just the wild, but the domesticated, that can bring about these kinds of outbreaks.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/is-factory-farming-to-blame-for-coronavirus

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 2348
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 11:16:06 PM   
witpqs

An NYC doctor discusses COVID-19, especially what they've learned about transmission. 47 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxyH1rkuLaw

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2349
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 11:21:53 PM   
alanschu

I missed this if it was posted here, but mayor of Nembro (in N. Italy) wrote an editorial for a paper.

https://www.corriere.it/politica/20_marzo_26/the-real-death-toll-for-covid-19-is-at-least-4-times-the-official-numbers-b5af0edc-6eeb-11ea-925b-a0c3cdbe1130.shtml

Crux of it is he suggests that coronavirus impacts on fatalities is probably about 4x higher than the numbers directly associated with Covid-19. Normal deaths in the city from January to March are about 35 per year, but this year there has been 158 so far, with 31 of them being officially logged as a result of Covid-19.

Not all cities are the same, but I know one point of curiosity for myself has definitely been how much impact an overburdened health care system has had on the whole population beyond those suffering from Covid-19.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2350
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 11:22:49 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Angry yet? Turns out the Chinese ATE all their pangolins so they smuggle them in from Myanmar

Study in Nature suggests pangolin may be an intermediate or additional mammalian host. There may be another vector or "amplification" species involved. What is known that the greatest sequence homology between SARS-2 and other known Betacoronaviruses is with horseshoe bat and pangolin strains.

I would wager not one in this forum could sneak in a half-eaten candy bar into China but somehow live pangolin are backpacked in from Myanmar over mountains and jungles with no roads.

This is an interesting article that brings a bit more of the industrialised food industry under scrutiny as related to this outbreak. We now it's not just the wild, but the domesticated, that can bring about these kinds of outbreaks.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/is-factory-farming-to-blame-for-coronavirus

I will say this much, free range chicken from small farms tastes so much better!

― Julia Child

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2351
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 11:34:18 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Sorry, obvert. That article is rubbish six ways from Sunday.

The main factors with the rampant spread of human H5/H7 avian influenza in China are not CAFOs (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation-I won't use the same inflammatory language as they repeatedly choose to descibe these operations), but small 'backyard' type operations, their abominable biosecurity and anachronistic use of wet markets. Same story with African Swine Fever (ASF) that has decimated their swine herd there for the last year and a half and caused the price of pork there to skyrocket. And don't even get me started on bats/wildlife/coronaviruses. I'm just curious how many epidemics this sort of behavior has to start in China for the leadership to modernize? I guess five is not enough?

If people have an ongoing demand for consumption of animal protein, the best thing for the world is efficient production of well-regulated, clean and professionally tended flocks/herds. How else to feed 9 billion (2050 estimates) people? Resumption of anachronistic bronze-age animal husbandry and farming practices would be disastrous.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2352
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 11:36:53 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

I will say this much, free range chicken from small farms tastes so much better!

That's the grass, bugs, animal feces (including their own) and Salmonella flavoring. Mmm-mmm good.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 2353
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/28/2020 11:42:13 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

I missed this if it was posted here, but mayor of Nembro (in N. Italy) wrote an editorial for a paper.

https://www.corriere.it/politica/20_marzo_26/the-real-death-toll-for-covid-19-is-at-least-4-times-the-official-numbers-b5af0edc-6eeb-11ea-925b-a0c3cdbe1130.shtml

Crux of it is he suggests that coronavirus impacts on fatalities is probably about 4x higher than the numbers directly associated with Covid-19. Normal deaths in the city from January to March are about 35 per year, but this year there has been 158 so far, with 31 of them being officially logged as a result of Covid-19.

Not all cities are the same, but I know one point of curiosity for myself has definitely been how much impact an overburdened health care system has had on the whole population beyond those suffering from Covid-19.

A good article in the Wall Street Journal today that elaborated on some of this. Since 'elective' surgeries have been cancelled en masse, many patients that were due to get cardiac bypass or stents or other needed (and already scheduled) surgeries have been postponed indefinitely.

Amongst others, the Journal article talked with a family whose father was scheduled to get already delayed cardiac bypass surgery. His scheduled surgery date (March 19) was the day after the hospital terminated elective surgeries. The surgery would have saved his life. He died from complications of cardiovascular disease two days later.

(in reply to alanschu)
Post #: 2354
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 12:32:15 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

Yes, interesting piece but the author is conflating influenza with coronavirus. They are BOTH risks but there are very different.

Avian influenza was nasty to humans being but you had to almost roll around with chickens under your house to get it.

Nor do I accept his anti-capitalist theme which was barely concealed. Of course, it almost goes without saying that Chinese poultry farms are nasty.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2355
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 12:40:06 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: alanschu

A good article in the Wall Street Journal today that elaborated on some of this. Since 'elective' surgeries have been cancelled en masse, many patients that were due to get cardiac bypass or stents or other needed (and already scheduled) surgeries have been postponed indefinitely.

Amongst others, the Journal article talked with a family whose father was scheduled to get already delayed cardiac bypass surgery. His scheduled surgery date (March 19) was the day after the hospital terminated elective surgeries. The surgery would have saved his life. He died from complications of cardiovascular disease two days later.

Yes, this is what epidemilogists label "excess deaths". You look at the deaths around an event (like Hurricane Maria) and then you count mortality compared to the same population and time of year before the event. This is how they got a figure like 50,000 deaths in PR from Maria when only 12 people had trees fall on them or drowned (figures made up).

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2356
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 1:45:23 AM   
Chickenboy

On a positive note, COVID-19 survivors Tom Hanks and his wife have returned to the United States. They expressed gratitude for their excellent treatment during quarantine down under. Tom even learned that he shouldn't put the vegemite on too thick on his toast. I dunno. A molecule thickness of that stuff seems too thick for me.

Post #: 2357
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 7:51:44 AM   
obvert

Cases today in the FT.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/29/2020 7:57:12 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 2358
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 7:58:16 AM   
obvert

An interesting way to look at testing is the number positive per 1000. The areas with a higher rate here are some big concentrations of this disease. Michigan looking bad now. If 35% of people tested are positive there is a lot of it out there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/29/2020 7:59:29 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2359
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 8:09:19 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Sorry, obvert. That article is rubbish six ways from Sunday.

The main factors with the rampant spread of human H5/H7 avian influenza in China are not CAFOs (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation-I won't use the same inflammatory language as they repeatedly choose to descibe these operations), but small 'backyard' type operations, their abominable biosecurity and anachronistic use of wet markets. Same story with African Swine Fever (ASF) that has decimated their swine herd there for the last year and a half and caused the price of pork there to skyrocket. And don't even get me started on bats/wildlife/coronaviruses. I'm just curious how many epidemics this sort of behavior has to start in China for the leadership to modernize? I guess five is not enough?

If people have an ongoing demand for consumption of animal protein, the best thing for the world is efficient production of well-regulated, clean and professionally tended flocks/herds. How else to feed 9 billion (2050 estimates) people? Resumption of anachronistic bronze-age animal husbandry and farming practices would be disastrous.

You don't bring up the point that in fact a lot of the backyard producers of wild animals were forced into that practice to make a living because they could no longer make it in an industrialised farming world with a small family farm. So there are knock-on effects, and we know western industrialised farms are not pristine, beautiful oases either. (NC hog farming?)

The point this article brings up is that human activity is bringing us more into contact on a large scale with previously isolated "wild" animals and their diseases. The needs of the 7+ billion people on this planet are increasing. The way to feed those predicted 9 billion people by 2050 is to transition to more vegetables and not so much meat. It's less resource intensive and the yield per area is much higher.

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/29/2020 8:10:07 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2360
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 10:24:33 AM   
Ian R

Obvert, some good news today - the Oz curve has flattened.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

quote:

"the person"

I presume that does not mean Mr Chou who sold the bat-**** covered pangolin burgers at the Wuhan wet market? Or Mr. Liu who scraped the thing off the road with a shovel?

How is the CIA supposed to spot a couple of guys with fever and cough in the middle of the influenza season?

I realize you may be angry and I grieve for New York but let's get real.

Soup du jou

Maybe a link with no posted pictures next time?

Very visual here. I'm still trying to get the image of bat soup out of my mind.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2361
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 10:30:52 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Offensive image deleted.

Mate, I have tried to take your posts in jest for a while.

But really? You don't need to post that stuff.

Be contrarian by all means.

Express your reasoned view for discussion.

But do not discount the prospect that there are people who can track you down through the internet.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2362
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 10:55:01 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

Are the banks running out of cash? Are they just protecting their employees? Are electronic banking systems failing? That doesn't sound good.

My understanding is: all of three. My daughter’s bank in Milan now requires an appointment for any kind of operation - including money withdrawing. I called on Thursday morning and I got my appointment for Monday at 12PM.

What I guess is happening is that money in the ATMs is running out, so you can't withdraw money with a credit or debit card - and there is a cap anyway (about 250 Euro, even if it depends from the bank and the kind of card you have). Since the bank is closed for the best part of the week, no one refills the ATM, and that's it.

Of course you can pay with your card, but some services (home delivery, for example) need cash. Portable devices are still not common enough in the South.

And then maybe you are going broke because your income is frozen (as I said, savings in the South are smaller) and need even a small loan (4-5000 Euro) giving as collateral the promise to repay once the economy is running again (or, more probably, your home - if you own it). If so, you meet two problems: first, the bank can just say "no"; second, the bank is closed anyway. As a result the liquidity available to you and your family is basically zero (this is what is happening to the people screaming at the bank in the video I posted). I shudder just thinking about it.

Then there is the ENORMOUS segment of the Italian population who works illegally - an endemic problem in Italy. These people are paid in cash, so they are not registered as workers and have no social security net. Once they finish the money they, almost literally, keep in their pockets, they are out of luck. They cannot even ask for loans, because, formally, they have no income. And there are A LOT of people in this situation, right now.

Here is where the criminality rides to the rescue. Going to an usurer is the classic way (I guess however that even he will ask for some collateral), but there is a simpler one: selling your gold. When the shockwave of the 2008 crack hit Italy, shops called "Compro Oro" ("We Buy Gold") appeared everywhere - and never really disappeared. Selling gold "the official way" in Italy is a long and tedious process. With the "Compro Oro" shops you bring to them maybe your wedding ring, or a small gold chain your parents gave you when you turned eighteen, or your grandma jewellery. The gold is valued, weighted and the shop pays you about half of its current value, in cash, at once, no question asked.

Most of these shops, of course, are run by some sort of criminal gang. However, what the "Compro Oro" shops do was never declared illegal (the only regulation is that cannot buy stolen gold - even unknowingly), and they are a source of cash in desperate times.

The examples I made are only a sample of the economic problems our South is facing right now - and why the government should act quickly: force the banks to stay open, allow low-interest loans and inject liquidity into the southern regions. While the rest of Italy could see these moves as "a privilege we didn't had", well, amen to that. The situation is already devolving. I wouldn't be surprised if guns come out during these assaults to the supermarkets (there are already rumbles that the trucks bringing groceries could be assaulted). The next move, if this happens, would be deploying the Army. And then?

Yes, I'm worried.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 2363
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 10:56:00 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Would the people who have did not get the drug combination work as a control group if everyone now seriously ill were to receive the drug combination? This is in regards to a double blind study. Or would you use information for the same patient as to before and after the drug combination? Or analyze both scenarios?

No, that is not randomized. You have to approach the control group the same way except for the one variable you are investigating

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/29/2020 10:57:06 AM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 2364
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 11:10:28 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

quote:

Are the banks running out of cash? Are they just protecting their employees? Are electronic banking systems failing? That doesn't sound good.

My understanding is: all of three. My daughter’s bank in Milan now requires an appointment for any kind of operation - including money withdrawing. I called on Thursday morning and I got my appointment for Monday at 12PM.

What I guess is happening is that money in the ATMs is running out, so you can't withdraw money with a credit or debit card - and there is a cap anyway (about 250 Euro, even if it depends from the bank and the kind of card you have). Since the bank is closed for the best part of the week, no one refills the ATM, and that's it.

Of course you can pay with your card, but some services (home delivery, for example) need cash. Portable devices are still not common enough in the South.

And then maybe you are going broke because your income is frozen (as I said, savings in the South are smaller) and need even a small loan (4-5000 Euro) giving as collateral the promise to repay once the economy is running again (or, more probably, your home - if you own it). If so, you meet two problems: first, the bank can just say "no"; second, the bank is closed anyway. As a result the liquidity available to you and your family is basically zero (this is what is happening to the people screaming at the bank in the video I posted). I shudder just thinking about it.

Then there is the ENORMOUS segment of the Italian population who works illegally - an endemic problem in Italy. These people are paid in cash, so they are not registered as workers and have no social security net. Once they finish the money they, almost literally, keep in their pockets, they are out of luck. They cannot even ask for loans, because, formally, they have no income. And there are A LOT of people in this situation, right now.

Here is where the criminality rides to the rescue. Going to an usurer is the classic way (I guess however that even he will ask for some collateral), but there is a simpler one: selling your gold. When the shockwave of the 2008 crack hit Italy, shops called "Compro Oro" ("We Buy Gold") appeared everywhere - and never really disappeared. Selling gold "the official way" in Italy is a long and tedious process. With the "Compro Oro" shops you bring to them maybe your wedding ring, or a small gold chain your parents gave you when you turned eighteen, or your grandma jewellery. The gold is valued, weighted and the shop pays you about half of its current value, in cash, at once, no question asked.

Most of these shops, of course, are run by some sort of criminal gang. However, what the "Compro Oro" shops do was never declared illegal (the only regulation is that cannot buy stolen gold - even unknowingly), and they are a source of cash in desperate times.

The examples I made are only a sample of the economic problems our South is facing right now - and why the government should act quickly: force the banks to stay open, allow low-interest loans and inject liquidity into the southern regions. While the rest of Italy could see these moves as "a privilege we didn't had", well, amen to that. The situation is already devolving. I wouldn't be surprised if guns come out during these assaults to the supermarkets (there are already rumbles that the trucks bringing groceries could be assaulted). The next move, if this happens, would be deploying the Army. And then?

Yes, I'm worried.

Yes, you need the Army but they need to BRING something with them to eat. That is skirting close to a breakdown in social order. If the infrastructure still works the UN brings in bakeries (like they did in Sarjevo). Or better yet you hire a bakery or two in every town and you pay the guy for the product on a pre-negotiated rate. Then you use the mail service (or drivers) to distribute it.

Time to tell the EU to stuff their borrowing limits up their Covid 19 pipe. We are very nearly printing money over here.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/29/2020 11:12:06 AM >

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2365
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 11:31:01 AM   
warspite1

So recently, prior to Coronavirus, it was suggested by someone in the Government (or their advisors) that we don't need farms in the UK...

... there is now a headline stating there will be a veg and fruit shortage because there is no one to pick the stuff.

So the UK no longer manufactures much, how important our financial services will be post Brexit who knows, and now, apparently, we don't need to produce any of our food either.....

You couldn't make this up.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 2366
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 12:14:11 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

Time to tell the EU to stuff their borrowing limits up their Covid 19 pipe. We are very nearly printing money over here.

The way the EU is behaving during this crisis is abysmal. This is exactly the kind of situation for which the EU was created. Now this happens, and everyone is running around panicked while guarding his own garden. Antieuropeist populist movements were always considered "ignorant, stupid and dangerous". Now they are being boosted by the EU itself.

Mario Draghi, former president of the European Central Bank, wrote a chilling editorial for the Financial Times. Basically he says that a deep recession is unavoidable, but if governments don't take "strong and speedy measures" the recession will morph into a prolonged depression that will leave irreversible damage.

The day after this editorial appeared, the EU decided to "take two more weeks to think about strong measures, like the emission of 'Coronabonds'". You do your math.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Post #: 2367
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 12:17:22 PM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

quote:

Yes, I'm worried.

The problems seems to be that they're not refilling ATMs.

Also, that's the main element, Italy is one of the countries with the highes private wealth in the world. Therefore, it looks quite bizarre that people have no money and, in some cases, sharkloans are going to "offer their services" to them.

However, most of the wealth owned by italians is in assets, especially houses, which are by definition not liquid/cash. To this problem, we have to add few, relevant factors:
A) those who own houses are generally over-35 (if not 40) with stable jobs. It implies that they are part of the security net given by the State. They have basically to pay for the food and that's it.
B) those who don't own houses are younger, horribly under-paid people. They have basically no savings and they have to pay rents. Also, many of them are out of the safety net provided by the State because they have precarious jobs.
C) Southern-Italy is a whole different topic. Over there, the amount of people working illegaly is huge and Cov-19 emergency topped over a chronic economical fragility. Many survive through "small jobs" out of regular/stable contracts and they have little to none savings. Basically: if the cannot do some kind of little work and earn few hundred euro per-month, they have no way to survive. And the State cannot (doesn't want to...) help them.

I think the social stability of the country is in a very narrow road. Even in my relatively wealthy region, Tuscany, you can see that people are struggling. More importantly, the future is the big topic: I do believe that most of the people can make some efforts to go through this period, but, after that, we will be f@cked, economically speaking. And it doesn't help to keep the population calm. Everybody knows that now we are in the middle of the sanitary emergency but later we'll be in a huge economical tragedy.

Even if we imagine that we go back to normal at the end of April (and that's quite a wild assumption), there is still one month to that date. It's not gonna work. We cannot afford one more month, simply and plain as that.

Francesco

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2368
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 12:19:28 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

So recently, prior to Coronavirus, it was suggested by someone in the Government (or their advisors) that we don't need farms in the UK...

... there is now a headline stating there will be a veg and fruit shortage because there is no one to pick the stuff.

So the UK no longer manufactures much, how important our financial services will be post Brexit who knows, and now, apparently, we don't need to produce any of our food either.....

You couldn't make this up.

One lasting result I see coming is a move away from interdependency and toward self sufficiency.

That is only possible to the degree that the distribution of natural resources allows.

Sure, the US can move away from dependency on China for pharmaceuticals, but not away from SE Asia for rubber gloves.

Hans

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2369
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/29/2020 12:20:05 PM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

quote:

The way the EU is behaving during this crisis is abysmal. This is exactly the kind of situation for which the EU was created. Now this happens, and everyone is running around panicked while guarding his own garden. Antieuropeist populist movements were always considered "ignorant, stupid and dangerous". Now they are being boosted by the EU itself.

Mario Draghi, former president of the European Central Bank, wrote a chilling editorial for the Financial Times. Basically he says that a deep recession is unavoidable, but if governments don't take "strong and speedy measures" the recession will morph into a prolonged depression that will leave irreversible damage.

The day after this editorial appeared, the EU decided to "take two more weeks to think about strong measures, like the emission of 'Coronabonds'". You do your math.

Look, I have always been a strong proponent of EU. Far from being an euro-skeptic. Still, I'm quite pissed off by this situation.

The stupidity, and miserable behavious, of some countries is just disgusting.

I'm quite open to a deep thinking on whether EU should go on as a project or we should just let it die.

Btw, my salary is paid by mama-EU, so I'm saying that even if I know that my job would disappear overnight.

< Message edited by ITAKLinus -- 3/29/2020 12:34:02 PM >

Francesco

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2370
Page:   <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  77 78 [79] 80 81   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI