Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE please!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE please! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/19/2020 4:15:31 PM   
Antares367

BTS(Heavy) Scen55 Vs Guctony. I'm the allies. Only Dec 9 but he is moving quickly.

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 61
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/19/2020 4:29:15 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_USN

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Hanging out … haven't gotten a turn in my AI game since Jan? maybe longer. Probably have to restart as I will have forgotten where I was and will likely want to try a different approach.

Life is busy, as with most everyone now …

Was Andy's Dababes insanity playable past 42?

I don't recall a DaBabes insanity, but maybe there was. I was testing his new AI as allies, but that was the first time I'd played allies in a decade. I normally play a modded Nasty, Nasty Dorniers (allied AI). I've gotten into '44 several times through the years …

Pax

(in reply to Scott_USN)
Post #: 62
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/19/2020 5:54:53 PM   
obvert

Nice thread. Like seeing all of these names I don't see every day, some not seen in a long while.

After three games going at once for a while I'm down to one vs Hartwig Modrow. I picked up for Bullwinkle in his match against Lokasenna, starting in Nov 44. Loka decided he didn't have time or interest and turned his side over to Hartwig in Feb 45. Now we're in April and one day I'll catch up the AAR, I hope.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 63
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/20/2020 2:14:52 AM   
Scott_USN

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_USN

quote:

Hanging out … haven't gotten a turn in my AI game since Jan? maybe longer. Probably have to restart as I will have forgotten where I was and will likely want to try a different approach.

Life is busy, as with most everyone now …

Was Andy's Dababes insanity playable past 42?

I don't recall a DaBabes insanity, but maybe there was. I was testing his new AI as allies, but that was the first time I'd played allies in a decade. I normally play a modded Nasty, Nasty Dorniers (allied AI). I've gotten into '44 several times through the years …

Thanks for answering it was 8 years ago so yeah. I might check out that one since it least goes 44.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 64
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/20/2020 6:59:41 PM   
Miller

Still here after 15 years of UV/WITP/AE but no games active atm.

(in reply to Scott_USN)
Post #: 65
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/21/2020 2:52:04 PM   
offenseman

Playing since the beginning- lurking much of the time.

Currently in Feb 1944 as Japan in a Between the Storms campaign (4.6) vs Joerg, on hiatus since December of 2019. Hope to resume at some point.

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 66
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/22/2020 8:24:04 AM   
1275psi

Obviousy still polluting the forums with my poor spelling/ typing skills

Lets see
2 games or more against apretzo
The little ship game against cantona
A fling with John 3rd

lost against the Penguin in 43, losing again!
and going again with when the giants died

Intergral part of my life this game, would be lost with out it

big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt

(in reply to offenseman)
Post #: 67
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/22/2020 1:17:18 PM   
littleike

still lurking every day from when i wrote my last message.
My approach to the game has always been a mix of anxiety of performance
mixed with an uncontrollable instinct to collecting as much informations as possible from
the forum threads.

Result: A game installed with all bells and whistles, patches, graphics enhancement, updated
ai files, lot of printed documentation on the way to start but until now never approaching something
substantially deeper than the initial ai tutorial scnarios, still thinking how do things to the best.

As i cannot dedicate all my time to playing and age goes on when i reopen the game after a few days
often i found myself to have forgotten what i was trying to investigate and i start again to go deeper
on something that is not necessary the same thing i was looking the last time i had interrupted.

Now acquired Kull’s spreadsheet i started a full campaign and went to Pearl going to send to
pierside repair a lot of damaged ships. Still there without no hurry to reach the end of the turn
but now remembering where i was and having a track to follow.

Always asked me why i love this game so much due the fact that i play more with it than play it
and i have still not yet found an answer. Maybe i will be as these car collectors that love to have their precious
car in the garage polishing and manteining it in full top order instead of driving it!! Who knows.

What only matters is that i always enjoy myself everytime i open this game or the forum and this is the most important thing for me.

PS: A strange thing that happens to me from when i bought the game till now is that i have never been able to play as a japanese!!
I need to play as allies whenever i start a new game. Something inconscious take me to allies side and i can’t explain it!!!

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 68
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/22/2020 1:31:04 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: littleike

PS: A strange thing that happens to me from when i bought the game till now is that i have never been able to play as a japanese!!
I need to play as allies whenever i start a new game. Something inconscious take me to allies side and i can’t explain it!!!

On the main screen with the big dial, select Allied Computer. Then you can play as Japan....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to littleike)
Post #: 69
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/22/2020 1:39:42 PM   
littleike

I perfectly know how to play as japan. Simply my mind refuse to play from the japanese side!!!

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 70
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/22/2020 3:45:08 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

It's not that unusual, really. I have a hard time playing the Germans or Iraqis in other wargames. Or terrorists in others. For some reason, I've been able to distance myself from the horrific behavior of the Japanese IRL WWII and focus on the gameplay aspect, enjoying every minute of it. All you have to do is convince yourself that the Emperor's Sons of Heaven will hold off the running yellow dog barbarians with the help of divine intervention. The rest is easy.

(in reply to littleike)
Post #: 71
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/22/2020 3:54:25 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

It's not that unusual, really. I have a hard time playing the Germans or Iraqis in other wargames. Or terrorists in others. For some reason, I've been able to distance myself from the horrific behavior of the Japanese IRL WWII and focus on the gameplay aspect, enjoying every minute of it. All you have to do is convince yourself that the Emperor's Sons of Heaven will hold off the running yellow dog barbarians with the help of divine intervention. The rest is easy.

Another episode of Samurai AE Player!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 72
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/22/2020 5:01:29 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Still soldering on as Japanese player in a slow-motion PBEM against IdahoNYer that started in 2014. We have reached October 1944 so it is more and more painful for me, although the last few turns saw morale soaring with the sinking of several Allied carriers, battleships and numerous destroyers.

Also still working on my Bottlenecks mod version 1.3 - just made what I hope is the last restart for testing the "final" changes.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 73
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/22/2020 7:13:49 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Still soldering on as Japanese player in a slow-motion PBEM against IdahoNYer that started in 2014. We have reached October 1944 so it is more and more painful for me, although the last few turns saw morale soaring with the sinking of several Allied carriers, battleships and numerous destroyers.

Also still working on my Bottlenecks mod version 1.3 - just made what I hope is the last restart for testing the "final" changes.

You you did better than what Tokyo Rose puts out.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 74
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/30/2020 12:14:06 PM   
madflava13

I've been a member of this forum since the beginning I believe. I was super active back when I was still in school, and played all the time. That faded as I got busy with work. I've been playing a lot of Eve Online lately, but I've had the itch to return here. I'm way out of touch with what the latest and greatest version is, what DaBabes is all about, etc. I'm going to lurk around a bit and get some answers, then fire up a game against the AI. Sadly tracker won't work on my new computer, so taking on a campaign as the Japanese is probably out of reach...

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 75
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/30/2020 12:21:04 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: madflava13

I've been a member of this forum since the beginning I believe. I was super active back when I was still in school, and played all the time. That faded as I got busy with work. I've been playing a lot of Eve Online lately, but I've had the itch to return here. I'm way out of touch with what the latest and greatest version is, what DaBabes is all about, etc. I'm going to lurk around a bit and get some answers, then fire up a game against the AI. Sadly tracker won't work on my new computer, so taking on a campaign as the Japanese is probably out of reach...

Welcome back.
There are a bunch of IJ players how don't use Tracker. Instead they use there own spread sheet. Also, tracker does work on the newer computers. Just post your issue in the tracker tread....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 76
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/30/2020 12:28:25 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget
the last few turns saw morale soaring with the sinking of several Allied carriers, battleships and numerous destroyers.

Thank you for this, LST. It made me smile today.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 77
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/30/2020 12:30:58 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: madflava13
Sadly tracker won't work on my new computer, so taking on a campaign as the Japanese is probably out of reach...

Welcome back! I'm old enough in these here parts to remember you (and your avatar).

Check out Q-ball's thread here about how to play the Japanese without tracker:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4783311

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 78
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/30/2020 12:44:38 PM   
HansBolter

After getting bored with my last game in April of '46, I restarted with a slightly home modified version of Ironman Japan ported to Babes. It was originally scenario 40, and my version is now 41.

Started on Hard, with historical first turn, unit withdrawals and for the first time ever, no variability on reinforcements.

Ran the opening turn and am now faced with the daunting prospect of the Allied first turn.

Ona personal note, after sheltering at home for nine days, I want back to work Friday. Unfortunately, this morning I awoke with mild cold symptoms, a stuffy head, cough and dihrrea. I'm praying it's only a spring cold and not the virus, but it means I'm sequestered at home again until it runs its course.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 3/30/2020 12:45:43 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 79
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/30/2020 12:50:27 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

After getting bored with my last game in April of '46, I restarted with a slightly home modified version of Ironman Japan ported to Babes. It was originally scenario 40, and my version is now 41.

Started on Hard, with historical first turn, unit withdrawals and for the first time ever, no variability on reinforcements.

Ran the opening turn and am now faced with the daunting prospect of the Allied first turn.

Ona personal note, after sheltering at home for nine days, I want back to work Friday. Unfortunately, this morning I awoke with mild cold symptoms, a stuffy head, cough and dihrrea. I'm praying it's only a spring cold and not the virus, but it means I'm sequestered at home again until it runs its course.

Good luck on both fronts Hans....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 80
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/30/2020 2:01:36 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

quote:

Good luck on both fronts Hans....GP

Good luck Hans. Be safe and be well soon. Please contact your primary care provider about this.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 81
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/30/2020 2:11:38 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Hans, FWIW I was surprised to see that upper respiratory cold-like symptoms are a rarity in COVID-19 cases. Stuffy nose, post nasal drip, sneezing and diarrhea are seen in only something like 5% of the cases. Fingers crossed for you.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 82
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/30/2020 2:13:19 PM   
Olorin

I peak from time to time, no games running atm and probably in the near future as well.
I got back to read what the forum had to say about coronavirus.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 83
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/30/2020 2:31:03 PM   
ITAKLinus

- Game against George Patton [Matrix forum member]: 01/JULY/1942. Only one running on currently. Scen1 extended map. Japanese side. I'm besieging Sydney and rushing to the 4:1 in score. One turn per-day on average, more during cov-19...

- Game against Lele88 [Italian forum member] : 25/12/1941. Scen1 normal map. Allied side. Still waiting for his turn since 04/DEC/2019. After I sunk few tankers and a couple of CVLs in front of Java, he's "busy".

- Game against StePeterPan [Matrix and Italian forum member] : June/1943. Scen1 normal map. Japanese side. Besieging Karachi. Interrupted 6 months ago for very relevant personal reasons of my opponent. One day we'll might catch up. Still in touch via whatsapp but no turns.

Then MANY aborted games [all in Scen1 normal map]:
- 2 aborted as Allied player in Dec-1941 due to enemy's surrender.
- 1 aborted as Allied player in Dec-1941 against George Patton due to enemy's surrender (and decision to restart inverting the sides)
- 1 aborted as Japanese player in Aug-1942 due to enemy's surrender and after a nasty situation [he violated HRs etcetc]
- 1 aborted as Japanese player in 1945 [I took it in 44] due to opponent's personal problems. We decided not to resume in the future.
- 1 aborted as Allied player in March-1942 due to opponent's lack of time to continue [I took the game in Feb/42] against a trickier enemy.

< Message edited by ITAKLinus -- 3/30/2020 2:32:56 PM >

Francesco

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 84
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/30/2020 4:15:22 PM   
Dixie

Game against the AI Japan. After several months away from it, I have no idea what I was doing or why.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 85
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/30/2020 5:27:12 PM   
madflava13

Incredibly helpful thread, thanks! The first couple turns for Japan are just incredibly hard to face! :)

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 86
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/30/2020 11:09:42 PM   
pontiouspilot

relax....there is medication for performance anxiety!!

(in reply to littleike)
Post #: 87
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/31/2020 7:59:07 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

Hans, FWIW I was surprised to see that upper respiratory cold-like symptoms are a rarity in COVID-19 cases. Stuffy nose, post nasal drip, sneezing and diarrhea are seen in only something like 5% of the cases. Fingers crossed for you.

Slept most of the day and took some Petpo pills for the runs. Head is less congested and cough is almost non-extistant. Was/is nothing serious.

Both employer and brother were all over me to 'get tested'. Didn't think it was necessary and would have wasted a limited resource.

Did some checking online regarding local testing and criteria. A local HC provider is setting up drive through testing locations, but test kits are limited in number and all facilities may not have sufficient stock. Recommendations are IF one has a fever and shortness of breath, one should call to get directions on how to proceed and plan on getting tested.

I have neither of the criteria symptoms, but will play hell now convincing my employer I'm OK to go back to work without a clean bill of health from some one official.

Hans

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 88
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/31/2020 10:38:40 AM   
btd64

quote:

quote:

quote:

Slept most of the day and took some Petpo pills for the runs. Head is less congested and cough is almost non-extistant. Was/is nothing serious.

Both employer and brother were all over me to 'get tested'. Didn't think it was necessary and would have wasted a limited resource.

Did some checking online regarding local testing and criteria. A local HC provider is setting up drive through testing locations, but test kits are limited in number and all facilities may not have sufficient stock. Recommendations are IF one has a fever and shortness of breath, one should call to get directions on how to proceed and plan on getting tested.

I have neither of the criteria symptoms, but will play hell now convincing my employer I'm OK to go back to work without a clean bill of health from some one official.

Glad you're feeling better Hans....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 89
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/31/2020 12:09:23 PM   
Sardaukar

Now, with remote studies, have been continuing this: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4542674

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE please! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI