Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE please!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE please! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/31/2020 6:33:29 PM   
gottagofish

I must be the Lurker of all lurkers! I've been playing since 2009. I started the Dec. 8th campaign several times, all against the AI. Finally, with AE updated to the last MichaelM beta I've progressed to June 1945. I am determined to finish this someday. As you can tell from my Post count, not an effusive contributor to the Forum, but I read a lot in the background. Haven't been on the Forum much lately as I took a break for about a year as I tired of making sure remote bases had enough supply, ships were getting fixed in ports, and pilots were getting to bed on time. Now I'm back for the push to the end!

Stay well!

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 91
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/31/2020 8:49:02 PM   
Lawless1

Greeting All

Playing modified version of Scn#26, with additional USCG patrol craft, USN AK, added supplies and fuel to most Japan Island, also added supplies to bases that Japan AI sees to go after at beginning of game.
Playing no withdrawals, Very Hard 1 to 3 days turns.
Heavy damage to BB at Pearl on Dec 7th, but none were sunk.

Only bragging right are for two attacks by the same British sub with the sinking of CVL Ryujo. Ryujo was spotted and as many subs as possible where sent to intercept.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jan 07, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Bandjermasin at 62,102

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo, Torpedo hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA Chikuma
DD Matsukaze
DD Minazuki
DD Yukaze
DD Minekaze

Allied Ships
SS KXI

Ammo storage explosion on CVL Ryujo
SS KXI launches 4 torpedoes at CVL Ryujo
KXI bottoming out ....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Bandjermasin at 62,102

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS KXI

CVL Ryujo is sighted by SS KXI
Ammo storage explosion on CVL Ryujo
SS KXI launches 4 torpedoes

Two types of ships, targets and submarines
Death from below

(in reply to gottagofish)
Post #: 92
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/31/2020 9:32:23 PM   
HansBolter

Isn't that a Dutch sub?

Hans

(in reply to Lawless1)
Post #: 93
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/31/2020 9:40:37 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Isn't that a Dutch sub?

That should be according to the nomenclature.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 94
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 3/31/2020 9:43:39 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Isn't that a Dutch sub?

That should be according to the nomenclature.

Yes, yes it is. I love my Dutch subs. They are great against softer targets....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 95
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/1/2020 2:50:46 AM   
Lawless1

Oops, you are all correct a Dutch sub

Two types of ships, targets and submarines
Death from below

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 96
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/1/2020 4:39:27 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

ORIGINAL: offenseman

Playing since the beginning- lurking much of the time.

Currently in Feb 1944 as Japan in a Between the Storms campaign (4.6) vs Joerg, on hiatus since December of 2019. Hope to resume at some point.

whats mid-late game like for Japan in BTS during 43-44? Asking for myself haha.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

(in reply to offenseman)
Post #: 97
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/5/2020 7:56:05 PM   
Spanno

Hi, I'm still stalling on starting a GC. I suppose I now have the time

The end.

(in reply to Cheesesteak)
Post #: 98
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/6/2020 12:45:01 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spanno

Well, maybe. For most of us a GC takes 2-3 years to play.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Spanno)
Post #: 99
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/6/2020 2:37:23 AM   
durnedwolf

I've been around this game for a few days...

I've got a game VS DOCUP - we are in May of 42 in a mod of his own making.

I've got a 2nd game VS Roger Neilson where I'm the 2nd owner of the Japanese side. I took over the Japanese side in May of 1945 and things are pretty grim for Japan. I'm hoping Roger will drop an A-Bomb. I'd like to see what that looks like from Japan's side. This is the furthest I've ever been in a game as Japan.

I'd like to find a partner for the Focus in the Pacific Mod but I'll wait until after my game with Roger. ParadigmBlue and BillBrown kind of got me hooked on this mod so once my dance card has an opening I'll advertise. The only other mod I might be interested in is the BTS one John, Michael, and their team are working on...

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 100
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/6/2020 10:54:17 AM   
Spanno

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Aha yes but it's the setup which is the biggest chunk of continuous time you need to put in :(

The end.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 101
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/6/2020 11:03:21 AM   
ITAKLinus

Update:

I) One match going to end at 01/01/1943 due to autovictory.
II) A paused match for almost a year, resurrected. Mid-43 and exchanging blows continuously. We're doing like 3 turns per day after the pause

Francesco

(in reply to Spanno)
Post #: 102
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/6/2020 2:13:18 PM   
wernerpruckner

Still playing AE vs the AI (scen40 dababes Ironman nasty port) and still reading the Forums a few times per week.

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 103
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/7/2020 3:34:33 AM   
Flying Tiger

My only ongoing game is stock GC vs StepHen. I'm Allies. Late 43 and result is basically decided. Allies counterattacking in both DEI and Burma. Pacific area still a wrestle. His AK/TK losses are horrendous so a total collapse is not far away but he did ambush a couple of my CVs. China largely inactive.
Hard to call it an 'active' game though. last turn was before the world had heard of 'Coronavirus'.

I still lurk on the forum occasionally though - hoping for a future remake of WitP with an easier user interface, less micro micro management, and nicer (ie. less microscopic) graphic presentation. i'll keep waiting.....

(in reply to wernerpruckner)
Post #: 104
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/8/2020 8:52:58 AM   
asurob

I'm still alive. After my health issues last year I went on the down low with no games active....but I still lurk now and again.

Carrierbane. I lose more flattops in a week then most players do in a year.

(in reply to Flying Tiger)
Post #: 105
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/8/2020 12:26:46 PM   
stretch

I consider myself a lurker though I've been here in one way or another for years. I play solo as I have never felt I'd be reliable enough to play a human.

I've had at least one game of AE going since release. I archive old saves, so I can tell the when serious life events were going on from where the gaps are in the timestamps. I imagine most of us could do that. It's a little sobering to look back and remember all the things in life that have transpired, good and bad, but the files always start up again as I find my way out of the chaos and back to AE.

(in reply to asurob)
Post #: 106
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/8/2020 2:02:18 PM   
Mundy

I'm around. Got two PBEMs going with their AARs.

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 107
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/8/2020 3:46:32 PM   
Coach Zuck

Been a lurker ....been AWOL for a while.
Getting back into the swing of WitP.

Finally playing a game as the Allies. Different perspective.... nice to be in the Summer of 1942 and it seems everywhere I look on the West Coast has a million or more supply and fuel!

Seth
aka Coach Zuck
SPARTANS; Prepare for Glory!

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 108
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/8/2020 5:58:11 PM   
mikemike

I still look here occasionally, but I play the original WitP - AE is too much micromanagement for my taste. I play almost daily - a private mod as Japanese against the Allied computer. I've found that the supreme shipkiller is the Ju88 as dive bomber with 4x500 kg AP bombs, btw. I can tell you that there is nothing as infuriating than to be at turn 300 and see that the next necessary upgrade will make half your carriers ineffective because you've made a small error editing the data. I have restarted the scenario because of such bloopers about twenty times already - aaarrgh!

DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!

(in reply to Coach Zuck)
Post #: 109
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/8/2020 6:38:07 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

And then there are some here that managed to do a year in 3-4 months! *cough* CR

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 110
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/8/2020 7:53:46 PM   
Canoerebel

Yeah, I think Fabertong and I played our entire match (to April 1945) in exactly 12 months!

*cough*

P.S. It left me simultaneously exhausted and exhilarated. For one year, my sleep was interrupted every night - sometimes three or four times - to check for turns. If one was there I usually ran it. Of course, that mean I had a drink of water or ice tea too, so that I had to pea at weird intervals too. I probably took four years off my life.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 111
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/8/2020 9:42:59 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Yeah, I think Fabertong and I played our entire match (to April 1945) in exactly 12 months!

*cough*

P.S. It left me simultaneously exhausted and exhilarated. For one year, my sleep was interrupted every night - sometimes three or four times - to check for turns. If one was there I usually ran it. Of course, that mean I had a drink of water or ice tea too, so that I had to pea at weird intervals too. I probably took four years off my life.

Well, having a pea come out your urethra would certainly feel like it was shortening your life!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 112
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/8/2020 9:44:35 PM   
Canoerebel

Dang it. Shut up, you hormifrodyte!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 113
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/9/2020 1:22:51 AM   
ChezDaJez

I disappeared for awhile after nearly finishing my game with BradfordKay. Unfortunately, we got hit with the pilot bug in Jun/Jul 1945 IIRC. Played WITE and WITW for awhile. Then went on to Naval Command. Now its almost exclusively DCS in VR. Nothing like shoving an AIM-120 up the tailpipe of an SU-33 from my F-18! Unfortunately it happens the other way around far more.

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 114
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/9/2020 3:02:18 AM   
durnedwolf

quote:

Hey Canoe - Did you just invent a new word?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by durnedwolf -- 4/9/2020 3:03:58 AM >

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 115
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/10/2020 3:47:01 PM   
ANav_slith

Long time lurker here. I've been playing AE almost since it was released. I've read many posts and picked up a lot of "how too" information from this forum over that time. I'm old and tired. I burned out on forums long ago, so I don't participate. Though I must say this one appears to be run well, by whoever runs it. Thank you very much.

I consider AE the best war game ever made period. The two major issues I have with it are that either the designers didn't know much about ships. By that I mean the nuts and bolts of what keeps a ship underway and the massive effort needed to keep fixing them, or they chose to ignore most of this aspect for playability reasons.

The other problem is with us, the players. We know to much about this war. We have knowledge we shouldn't have, and mostly can't restrain ourselves from acting on it. So we take advantage and do things the real combatants would not do.

The Pacific war was a long, brutal, and fasinating battle of attrition. However the game can't replicat that unless the Japanese, at least in geneal, attempt to do what they historically needed to do. While the Allied side tries to forget what he knows about this war, pin his ears back and fight hard with what he's got right from the beginning.

However because of these issues in my experience the war usually ends with a couple of Jutland sized events sometime late 42, early 43. Hense the desire of many of you for fantasy scenarios. Whats needed of course are house rules to restrain ourselves, but how can you make, and live by, house rules for so vast a game? In my view you can't.

The thing is to find a compatible opponent who sees the game more or less as you do. Then try to get all the way to 1945. Then switch sides and try again. If you can do that there is no need for fantasy.

I'm currently playing a scenario 29 big babes. The date is July 1942. I am the Japanese. So far I've taken the Philippines, The Dutch Indies, Malaya, and am trying to move down the Solomons. I'm also slogging through Burma on whats proven to be a hard campaign so far. The Allies have taken a stand South of Mandalay, and my supply situation is so critical I can't build up strength to break through. The Allies have strongly re-enforced Port Blair So supplies will only get worse. I have to take Port Blair and shed a lot of blood, or accept the situation as it is. The Allies have also kept me out of Buna. So that is problematic for my hold on New Guinea, and New Britian. The air war here is just starting to tilt in his favor which bodes ill for the sons of Nippon. A few fork tail devils have made their appearance, UGH!!

We had been doing a turn a day until our response to this virus put my friend on shift work. So the battle has slowed considerably

OK I've unlurked myself.

Thanks again

Jess

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 116
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/10/2020 5:21:44 PM   
Andy Mac

No games at present haven't really had times I used to play only PBEM's had games against enforcer, string , pauk, sprior (sorry for abandoning the last one simon), nemo, PZB and lots of others but none on the go at present as I ran out of time due to work

I get a few days every few month and it gets dedicated to AI scenarios currently working on updated downfall but its going sooo slow....

But thought I would pop in an say hi.

@HansBolter - long live Albion 5 years on Percival Server !!!

< Message edited by Andy Mac -- 4/10/2020 5:23:00 PM >

(in reply to ANav_slith)
Post #: 117
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/10/2020 6:24:38 PM   
dr.hal

Wow Jess, your FIRST post, thanks for uncloaking. I agree with your two basic "problems" but can only see house rules or a totally revised political point system to compensate. We are simply too knowledgeable.

< Message edited by dr.hal -- 4/10/2020 6:32:38 PM >

(in reply to ANav_slith)
Post #: 118
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/10/2020 8:44:15 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: asurob

I'm still alive. After my health issues last year I went on the down low with no games active....but I still lurk now and again.

You know there is a thread somewhere in here that says you passed away. I'll try and find it.

Here it is https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4738754&mpage=1&key=ron�

< Message edited by Nomad -- 4/10/2020 8:45:16 PM >

(in reply to asurob)
Post #: 119
RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE... - 4/10/2020 8:53:20 PM   
Canoerebel

Yeah, I was toying with BBfanboy's affections, so came up with a new word. :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

quote:

Hey Canoe - Did you just invent a new word?

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Calling all lurkers (and forumites) - STATUS UPDATE please! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI