Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HP firmware update forcing printers to use HP Ink.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> HP firmware update forcing printers to use HP Ink. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HP firmware update forcing printers to use HP Ink. - 3/25/2020 9:09:46 PM   
jack54

I recently purchased a HP printer 'office Jet 6579'. Prints nice but a firmware update no longer allows you to use 3rd party or re-fillable ink cartridges. I'm furious.

If they think that forcing me to buy their ink is good business they are mistaken. They're up for now but in the long run they will lose. I've bought several HP products in the past including my wife's desk top and laptop but I'm done. I will never buy another HP product again.

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Post #: 1
RE: HP firmware update forcing printers to use HP Ink. - 3/25/2020 9:49:03 PM   
OldSarge

There was a class action on that last year.

HP printer class action

HTH

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 2
RE: HP firmware update forcing printers to use HP Ink. - 3/25/2020 10:53:17 PM   
jack54

Thanks OldSarge, I wasn't aware of this. So this was going on before I purchased my Printer. I notice my model number is not in the class action. So it's Buyer Beware I guess but I never dreamed that what was IMHO a solid a company could be so penny-wise and dollar foolish.

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 3
RE: HP firmware update forcing printers to use HP Ink. - 3/26/2020 3:33:02 PM   
jimi3

Wouldn't you know it. Have a great Epson that required their ink only after firmware update. At over $100 a pop.
I just got an HP to replace it. No firmware updates for me. There was a class action against Epson that was recently
dismissed. You can't win.

Cheers, Jim

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 4
RE: HP firmware update forcing printers to use HP Ink. - 3/26/2020 5:38:36 PM   
RangerJoe

I guess that you just should not join a class action if you can help it. I documentation/complaint simply point out something that, if true, makes you different. Like being disabled or living with a disabled person could make a difference.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to jimi3)
Post #: 5
RE: HP firmware update forcing printers to use HP Ink. - 3/26/2020 8:08:18 PM   
sPzAbt653

I haven't had this problem but I use HP cartridges at $56 each. I have an M15w and was real happy with it because it is Black & White only so I don't have to buy seven color cartridges every time one runs out, and it is real small, like the size of a shoebox.

Then I used it. It has no anti-curl feature that every other printer/copier/fax since 1942 has, so all of my pages come out rolled up And check this out, HP's Help department says it is because my paper has a high water content. I need to use drier paper.

If you buy one of these rolling machines, read the fine print because it says it is a copier/scanner but it isn't. You have to take a picture of something then wifi it to the printer and print it out. That's a complete stretch [actually a lie].

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 6
RE: HP firmware update forcing printers to use HP Ink. - 3/26/2020 11:56:13 PM   
demyansk

I have bought laser printers but only black white.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 7
RE: HP firmware update forcing printers to use HP Ink. - 3/27/2020 3:47:54 AM   
Lobster

Have an HP Deskjet 2635 all in one. No problems using non HP cartridges.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> HP firmware update forcing printers to use HP Ink. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI