Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Turns 2-5 Center

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Turns 2-5 Center Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Turns 2-5 Center - 6/1/2020 5:56:17 AM   
eskuche

Turn 2 Center Planning
Considerations:
• Supply is going along accelerated Baltic line, which means the southern Minsk axis will be starved and is a trap for panzers.
• The Dnepr and Mogilev will barely receive any supply, so it is decided for panzers to pursue a northeastern course parallel with their current fuel source.
• Berezina river is only lightly guarded and so not really worth spending lots of armor MP to pocket it.
• Yellow lines indicate close call with middle pocket!
• Infantry will progress as expected.
• Pocket reduction unshown.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mmoaorrke)
Post #: 31
RE: Turns 2-5 Center - 6/1/2020 5:58:54 AM   
eskuche

Turn 5 Center
Little actions in the past few turns. The landbridge retreated and so infantry trudges forward with a small armored spearhead to make hexes easier to travel.

Strategic considerations: the Dnepr is pretty heavily fortified, and I spent too long clearing pockets, so infantry are quite slow at getting to the front. Thus, because I do not have a critical pass, the Dnepr will not be breachable. The decision is made to advance towards Vyazma on the landbridge and force a Dnepr retreat by threatening an armor sweep behind.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 32
Turns 2-5 North - 6/1/2020 6:11:13 AM   
eskuche

Turn 2 North

Planning: Here we execute an analysis of feasibility. Three armor over the Daugava is suboptimal. For a strong turn 2 across the Velikaya to Pskov, likely 4-6 units are needed.
Numbers indicate the MP left for the boxed armor units once reaching a certain hex, and asterisks indicate after attack. Because the swamp between the lakes is blocked, and the southern traverses are bad terrain, the only ways are to force the hex west of Pskov then cross the river (13 MP), we have no possibility of crossing. Therefore, we relegate ourselves to claiming hexes for infantry to cross in the coming turns.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 33
RE: Turns 2-5 North - 6/1/2020 6:14:45 AM   
eskuche

As expected, MPs were not enough to penetrate the Velikaya, so armor grabs as much territory as possible and bags a small pocket along the Dvina.
Nine infantry divisions cross the Daugava and can reach the Velikaya turn 3.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by eskuche -- 6/1/2020 6:16:48 AM >

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 34
RE: Turns 2-5 North - 6/18/2020 4:32:18 AM   
eskuche

Apologies, but due to large volume of games this AAR will be slightly abbreviated in detail :)
Questions are still welcome.

Turns 4-7: Checkboard defense and inexperience on my part lead to very inconsequential pockets and slow advancement of units. Novgorod is almost punctured, and the grind begins in earnest soon.
May have forgotten to move Finns turn 4.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 35
Turns 8-12 South - 6/18/2020 5:07:12 AM   
eskuche

Turn 5-8: troops advance and poke towards Kiev. High Soviet presence still in swamps which amplifies, leading to retreat of Axis minor allies. However, meantime a Dnepr crossing is forced and sizable pocket made. This unhinges the entire Kiev region, leading to panicked retreat colliding with forward SS elements. HQBU of rear elements prepares to exploit disorder.

Crimea swamps are penetrated turn 8, with ensuing checkboard Soviet retreat towards the peninsula proper. Breakthrough panzers rest and fuel up for a month and crush Crimean entrance defenses.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by eskuche -- 6/18/2020 5:08:55 AM >

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Turns 2-5 Center Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI