Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Couple Combat Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> A Couple Combat Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Couple Combat Questions - 6/13/2020 7:52:40 PM   
mainebears

I haven't seen this first question explained - for the Supreme Headquarters - you can separately add Replacement troops (note made sure you realize this is in groups of 100 Troops or 10s of Tanks or other vehicles. Do you have to have the Troops in Your Supreme Headquarters or Operating Group Headquarters for the logistic system to add replacement troops to the associated units ?

I noticed in my latest game that you can run through a lot of oil if you have a lot of Tanks or Motorized Transports or presumably Recon Buggy or Motorcycle troops. Is it normal for you to deplete your oil wells in 20 or 30 years if you have several hundred tanks. It also seems the Tier 4 Truck and Rail Stations burn through a lot of fuel as well. Makes it hard to rely on Oil fueled Power Plants. Those discovered nuclear powered Tanks are a GOD send to eliminate your oil dependence for Mobile Warfare.

Electric Maglift Stations needs to be priority in my latest game.

Do most People use 25 mm Armor for light and medium tanks to save on weight and therefore engine power and fuel consumption ? Do you use 5 mm Armor on APCs and Mechanized Artillery and Machine Guns for Mechanized Forces (Significant less weight than 25 mm Armor) ?

I notice the AI seems to normally use Howitzers Guns for Light and Medium Tanks for attacking Infantry. I have Bazookas and Anti-Tank Guns (uses High Velocity Guns) for Armor Attack - Tanks and APC or Armored Vehicles. I assume Heavy Tanks would use High Velocity Guns till you get Lasers and Above Gun types ? Heavy Tanks look to have high fuel use (Due to High Armor Strength - 50 mm Steel Armor till you get better armor than Steel ? ) ?
Post #: 1
RE: A Couple Combat Questions - 6/13/2020 8:31:10 PM   
Naselus

You can separately add troops to individual units, if they have logi points. It's a different button at the bottom of right-hand panel 1 when you click on the unit in question.

Yes, units piss oil. Shepherd your usage til you have infinite sources available.

I use very heavy armour for all the units I have that can use it. It's made them very effective for killing enemy armour, even units of heavy tanks can be beaten by massed lights. I have 2 models - 1 with howitzers and 1 with HV guns. Units are made of an even split of these and are lethal against both armour and infantry; I mass them and so only have 5-6 large units of armour which are deployed wherever needed. Strategic movement means they barely need to run those horrendous engines.

(in reply to mainebears)
Post #: 2
RE: A Couple Combat Questions - 6/13/2020 8:39:37 PM   
OldSarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: mainebears

I haven't seen this first question explained - for the Supreme Headquarters - you can separately add Replacement troops (note made sure you realize this is in groups of 100 Troops or 10s of Tanks or other vehicles. Do you have to have the Troops in Your Supreme Headquarters or Operating Group Headquarters for the logistic system to add replacement troops to the associated units ?

I've always place my replacements with SHQ. If a unit is requesting a replacement of X type, then SHQ will supply any of those types it has in its pool.

quote:

I noticed in my latest game that you can run through a lot of oil if you have a lot of Tanks or Motorized Transports or presumably Recon Buggy or Motorcycle troops. Is it normal for you to deplete your oil wells in 20 or 30 years if you have several hundred tanks. It also seems the Tier 4 Truck and Rail Stations burn through a lot of fuel as well. Makes it hard to rely on Oil fueled Power Plants. Those discovered nuclear powered Tanks are a GOD send to eliminate your oil dependence for Mobile Warfare.

Yes, the larger the engine the more oil you see sucked out of your reserves. You'll also see the hit on your logistical traffic as well. If you're operating at the end of a long supply tail on a dirt road, you'll need to plan very carefully.

If you set up the Applied Science office you can research toward Fuel Efficiency and Fuel Mix Optimization. It can help quite a bit.

quote:

Do most People use 25 mm Armor for light and medium tanks to save on weight and therefore engine power and fuel consumption ? Do you use 5 mm Armor on APCs and Mechanized Artillery and Machine Guns for Mechanized Forces (Significant less weight than 25 mm Armor) ?

Yes, 25mm seems to work well in general. It is better in the early to middle game, but I still find them hanging out at the end game. I don't pit APC and artillery against armor so 5mm has been acceptable. Now, this is against the AI. I expect a human opponent would catch on and design an effective counter.

quote:

I notice the AI seems to normally use Howitzers Guns for Light and Medium Tanks for attacking Infantry. I have Bazookas and Anti-Tank Guns (uses High Velocity Guns) for Armor Attack - Tanks and APC or Armored Vehicles. I assume Heavy Tanks would use High Velocity Guns till you get Lasers and Above Gun types ? Heavy Tanks look to have high fuel use (Due to High Armor Strength - 50 mm Steel Armor till you get better armor than Steel ? ) ?

The choice of gun type will come down to whether you want a tank that is good at killing hardened targets or one that is better at dealing with soft targets. In a previous game I setup an Assault gun that was similar to my MED tank except that it had an 88mm howitzer it was very effective at swatting infantry. My LT tank had a 40mm howitzer and it's soft attack value was higher than the soft attack than on my MED tank with a HV 88mm.

One of the things I love about SE, is playing around with this stuff to get just the right model for the job required.

< Message edited by OldSarge -- 6/13/2020 8:41:47 PM >

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to mainebears)
Post #: 3
RE: A Couple Combat Questions - 6/13/2020 8:58:54 PM   
Vhalor

One thing to remember is that a more powerful engine uses less fuel. So if you have a lot of overweight units with underpowered engines that can cost a lot of extra fuel.

Also, Mechanized Artillery is rather horrible. Easy way to save some oil by never building any.

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 4
RE: A Couple Combat Questions - 6/13/2020 9:09:09 PM   
Naselus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vhalor
Also, Mechanized Artillery is rather horrible. Easy way to save some oil by never building any.

Mech art is fine in it's place. I have a very long front and being able to shift a load of 180mm howitzers all along the line and remote fire where I want them has reaped a huge toll of enemy infantry. It's not as devastating as my huge 240mm art corps, but the mobility is a decent trade-off.

It probably depends where you are in the tree tho, mech arti in a trench warfare scenario is a huge waste. In the swirly war of manuever on my western flank they've been great tho.

(in reply to Vhalor)
Post #: 5
RE: A Couple Combat Questions - 6/13/2020 9:21:26 PM   
Vhalor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Naselus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vhalor

Mech art is fine in it's place. I have a very long front and being able to shift a load of 180mm howitzers all along the line and remote fire where I want them has reaped a huge toll of enemy infantry. It's not as devastating as my huge 240mm art corps, but the mobility is a decent trade-off.

It probably depends where you are in the tree tho, mech arti in a trench warfare scenario is a huge waste. In the swirly war of manuever on my western flank they've been great tho.

So far, they just have always felt incredible underwhelming and overpriced for what they offer for me. 180mm vs 300mm is also such a massive difference. I do agree that some mobility can be indeed great in some cases, but for now motorized artillery has done alright for me in that regard.

(in reply to Naselus)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> A Couple Combat Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI