Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Empire of the Sun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/7/2021 11:03:36 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101

January 12-13, 1942

Japanese battleships continue with their regular bombardments of Vladivostok. I am not getting as many supply hits as I would like (an average of only 1-2 per bombardment) but the battleships are destroying and damaging many Soviet guns which eventually should open the door for extensive air bombing.

Given the lack of coastal gun shots, I guess you bombard from very long range, if not max range for the 356mm ? It does have an influence on the number of hits. You might close the distance a bit.

From memory, there are a couple of heavy caliber guns (305-356mm, I think 9 total), and a few 203mm (not many), which all have a range over 30. The 180mm have much shorter range, but the 40 or so 130mm have a good range (around 20 IIRC) but will lack the penetration (however, beware the fires). Bombardments at range 25 should be still relatively safe.

You guessed correctly. My battleships are firing at range 39 which greatly insulates them from any Soviet return fire. I have noticed that even when they are hit at that range the effect is minimal even with superstructure hits. During one bombardment for instance, Musashi received 3 superstructure hits and had 0 system damage to show for it. I am tempted to close the range some more since that should increase the battleships' accuracy but at the same time I am doing quite good damage at this range and I don't want to risk my ships too much. I think what I will do is wait a bit until more Soviet guns are destroyed (including hopefully more of their coastal guns) and then incrementally close the range. Here is the latest bombardment result btw. Even with their large artillery replacement rates I don't think the Soviets can afford this type of sustained gun losses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 1021
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/8/2021 5:12:51 AM   
Ambassador

Indeed, replacement rates should not sustain a regular destruction like this, if it is not FOW.
And at least, every gun they replace expends some supply too.

At range 39, only the 305mm of Vlad’s Fortress fire, not the 356mm. That’s probably the reason of the lack of effect.

(in reply to DesertWolf101)
Post #: 1022
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/8/2021 5:06:08 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 17, 1943

Not much to update on for the past week or so aside from Operation Furnace's intensification. I decided to send in my bombers now that Vladivostok has been quite well plastered. Sure enough, there is a marked decrease in the density of the enemy flak but the Japanese bombers overwhelmingly scored runaway hits and barely any supply hits. At least I am forcing Andy's AA gunners to expend supply.

I am also detecting a major effort on Andy's part to strike at my battleships. Andy has brought in a sizable number of bombers to Voroshilov. He has also sent in large packs of Allied submarines which have been detected en route to Vladivostok in what I assume to at least in part consist of a massive minelaying effort. I am trying to intervene and attack the subs but I don't think I can prevent the minefield from being formed. So thinking ahead, the question is what is the best way to remove a minefield under Vladivostok's daunting coastal defense guns? Does shelling at long long-range minimize the chances of hitting a mine relative to standard bombardment ranges?

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 1023
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/8/2021 7:09:39 PM   
GetAssista

You better look closer on how much supply those bombardments cost you. They are quite a hog.

For the reference, daily bombardments by 6 slower older IJN BBs use more supply than the whole of (mostly intact) India produces.

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 3/8/2021 7:10:01 PM >

Post #: 1024
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/8/2021 11:30:42 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

You better look closer on how much supply those bombardments cost you. They are quite a hog.

For the reference, daily bombardments by 6 slower older IJN BBs use more supply than the whole of (mostly intact) India produces.

Yes indeed, they do consume quite a lot of supply. I think I am using about 7,000 supply per bombardment run which is quite a lot. The pace of bombardments should decrease quite a bit however once I batter his artillery a bit more, if not indeed entirely by his minefield tactics. We shall see.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 1025
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/9/2021 1:19:04 AM   
DesertWolf101

January 18, 1943

With the Soviet flak seemingly battered, I decided to preempt Andy's Soviet bombers by striking their base at Voroshilov. In a series of raids, 16 Soviet aircraft were destroyed on the ground and the clearly weakened flak knocked out only 4 of my bombers this time.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1026
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/9/2021 11:20:44 AM   
Ambassador

quote:

quote:

Yes indeed, they do consume quite a lot of supply. I think I am using about 7,000 supply per bombardment run which is quite a lot. The pace of bombardments should decrease quite a bit however once I batter his artillery a bit more, if not indeed entirely by his minefield tactics. We shall see.

There is no easy way to take Vladivostok. I think it’s supply well invested, as it consumes supply from the defenders and inflicts damage. I believe 1 supply hit may destroy up to 1% of the supply stockpiled in the base, depending on the weapon’s values and fort levels.

By the way, your 7000 figure looks high. Supply cost for rearming a ship is Ream Cost x number of guns x number of ammo / 2000. Yamato has 9 46cm guns (rearm cost 6440) with 9 ammo per gun, leading to 260 supply for a full main armament rearm. Ise-class BB (and Fuso too) have 12 36cm guns (rearm cost 2970) with 12 ammo, leading to 213 supply for a full main guns rearm. Kongo’s only have 8 36cm guns with 12 ammo, so 142 supplies, while Nagato’s 8 40cm (rearm 4500) with 10 ammo need 180.
You look like you use 4 Ise’s (4x213), 2 Yamato’s (2x260), 2 Nagato’s (2x180) and 2 Kongo’s (2x142), for a total of 2016 supplies.

If Andy has more than 200k supply in Vladivostock, you might actually directly destroy more supply than your bombardment run consumes, but the other benefits are still neat (destroyed devices require supply to be replaced)

EDIT : if you do reduce the frequency of your bombardments, I recommend reducing the range of your bombardments. You’ll incur some damage, but if you use your BBs less frequently, you have time to let them repair what should be mostly minor damage.

< Message edited by Ambassador -- 3/9/2021 11:22:28 AM >

Post #: 1027
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/9/2021 11:40:00 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

quote:

quote:

There is no easy way to take Vladivostok. I think it’s supply well invested, as it consumes supply from the defenders and inflicts damage. I believe 1 supply hit may destroy up to 1% of the supply stockpiled in the base, depending on the weapon’s values and fort levels.

By the way, your 7000 figure looks high. Supply cost for rearming a ship is Ream Cost x number of guns x number of ammo / 2000. Yamato has 9 46cm guns (rearm cost 6440) with 9 ammo per gun, leading to 260 supply for a full main armament rearm. Ise-class BB (and Fuso too) have 12 36cm guns (rearm cost 2970) with 12 ammo, leading to 213 supply for a full main guns rearm. Kongo’s only have 8 36cm guns with 12 ammo, so 142 supplies, while Nagato’s 8 40cm (rearm 4500) with 10 ammo need 180.
You look like you use 4 Ise’s (4x213), 2 Yamato’s (2x260), 2 Nagato’s (2x180) and 2 Kongo’s (2x142), for a total of 2016 supplies.

If Andy has more than 200k supply in Vladivostock, you might actually directly destroy more supply than your bombardment run consumes, but the other benefits are still neat (destroyed devices require supply to be replaced)

EDIT : if you do reduce the frequency of your bombardments, I recommend reducing the range of your bombardments. You’ll incur some damage, but if you use your BBs less frequently, you have time to let them repair what should be mostly minor damage.

It is entirely possible that my calculations there were off so thank you for the more accurate estimate. In any case I agree it is worth the supply. This last turn I am pretty sure the battleships wiped out two enemy units at Vladivostok. There were 11 Soviet LCUs there and now it's 9 and I haven't seen the number at Voroshilov (86) go up or any indication of movement between the two bases.

In terms of Soviet supply, I would be shocked if Andy had only 200k in the Vladivostok pocket given the date I attacked and the fact that he knew I was coming and had time to stockpile. I am operating under the assumption that he has more like a million to a million and half supply in the pocket, maybe even more. To be sure this is going to be a marathon, not a sprint.

I am pulling back my BBs for some quick refit and repair and to give me some time to assess the situation with the enemy sub activity and likely minefield. When they come back I will likely attempt some closer range bombardments. In the meantime the IJAAF has picked up the pace with some good results. I find I score way more supply hits in my raids on Voroshilov in comparison to the bomber raids on Vladivostok. Maybe something to do with Vlad's higher fortification levels? Here is my latest raid on Voroshilov for instance:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 1028
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/9/2021 12:20:20 PM   
Ambassador

I think Voroshilov would have level 6 forts, maybe 7, but most probably not higher. I may be wrong.

Post #: 1029
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/9/2021 5:43:12 PM   
castor troy

quote:

quote:

Usually you are better off not taking out all those (flak) guns because they do use an insane amount of supplies. It seems like there is no difference if one aircraft attacks or 1000, flak fires always the same amount of supplies into the air. At least that was my impression during being sieged. I had bases that used more than 1000 supply per day and when I moved the flak out it dropped to 2-300 with the same air attacks each day. So if you have bombers that can fly high enough that enables them not being shot down in droves you will reduce the enemy's supply faster with air attacks against lots of flak because the flak eats so much supplies. At least that's my experience.

Post #: 1030
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/9/2021 5:48:41 PM   
castor troy

quote:

I think Voroshilov would have level 6 forts, maybe 7, but most probably not higher. I may be wrong.

Vladivostok is even worse, already starting at level 9, at least in Babes. Heavy urban, impossible to take at acceptable costs if at all as long as the enemy has any supplies. 12,000 Allied av couldn't take Calcutta from me (against 2,000 av) as I had level 9 forts and it's also heavy urban.

The good thing about heavy urban is that you can easily make it an Allied POW camp forever. All you need is a POW garrison and the enemy will never be able to dislodge you. As soon as the enemy is completely out of supply it takes halve a year to starve several hundred thousand enemy troops to death. Been there, done that.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 1031
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/9/2021 6:34:57 PM   
Evoken

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

Vladivostok is even worse, already starting at level 9, at least in Babes. Heavy urban, impossible to take at acceptable costs if at all as long as the enemy has any supplies. 12,000 Allied av couldn't take Calcutta from me (against 2,000 av) as I had level 9 forts and it's also heavy urban.

The good thing about heavy urban is that you can easily make it an Allied POW camp forever. All you need is a POW garrison and the enemy will never be able to dislodge you. As soon as the enemy is completely out of supply it takes halve a year to starve several hundred thousand enemy troops to death. Been there, done that.

Your situation was different , your opponent managed to lose to air and naval superiority , also had no land connection to supply etc. Wolf here has both air and naval superiority plus he has the potential to bombard everyday with his battleships which should skyrocket disruption on troops at Vladivostok

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 1032
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/9/2021 7:07:30 PM   
29000Kevin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

quote:

quote:

Your situation was different , your opponent managed to lose to air and naval superiority , also had no land connection to supply etc. Wolf here has both air and naval superiority plus he has the potential to bombard everyday with his battleships which should skyrocket disruption on troops at Vladivostok

Your right, in CT's game the Allies attempted to escape by marching and driving through the Ganges Delta to avoid CT's army and escape to India but CT defeated his already battered armored forces with his own and trapped roughly 700,000 US, British and Indian Soldiers in a small pocket in a Mangrove Forest filled with Tigers...

Half a year later with constant aerial bombing the Allies were finally starved of supplies and defeated.

But in Wolfs game he still has the ability to starve supplies by bombarding Andy's city via Battleships, however BB bombardment burns a lot of supplies, still taking 1 supply point from a Airport or Port will always hurt.

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 1033
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/9/2021 7:21:00 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

quote:

Vlad starts at level 9 forts in stock, indeed. But it’s still possible to win such a siege, albeit it’s costly and long.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 1034
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/9/2021 11:20:03 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

quote:

quote:

Vlad starts at level 9 forts in stock, indeed. But it’s still possible to win such a siege, albeit it’s costly and long.

From what I can see Vlad is also not a heavy urban hex but rather a woods hex (x2) which makes a huge difference.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 1035
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/9/2021 11:32:36 PM   
29000Kevin

If its a Woods hex then this changes everything we thought couldn've happened if the city was considered a heavy urban hex, this means it is significantly much more easier and plausible to defeat the entire army their in a reflectively "short" period of 6 months or more with constant air attacks on the port and Airport + bombardments.

However it means the that turning the city into a POW camp is much more harder without the insane defence bonuses that heavy Urban hexes provide.

Post #: 1036
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/10/2021 7:09:23 AM   
DesertWolf101

January 21, 1943

Looks like the game is afoot. All of a sudden, large-scale Allied troop movements are detected all over India. I think Andy's offensive in the subcontinent is about to happen. I was seriously considering a strong defense but I won't be ready for that until the arrival of half a dozen more divisions from the Soviet front so it may very well be too late for that. Andy's airpower has continued to grow over the past weeks/months and it's looking daunting too. I don't relish a fight with his divisions in the open with that kind of air support. Now I am thinking of a gradual retreat into Burma and delaying action elsewhere. I'm lucky I have naval superiority as that should allow me some flexibility for sea withdrawals when necessary. I will leave a residual garrison in Calcutta and maybe Bombay to hold out for as long as possible.

Meanwhile, Andy has also pulled back his motorized and mechanized Soviet units from the front in the north and I strongly suspect he will send them through Alma-Ata into China. I can't get enough supply up there for a strong stand so I will likely pull back there as well to more defensible lines. With 1943 here the high-water mark of the Japanese Empire's advance in this game is clearly over. It's been a fun ride, now for the grind.

(in reply to 29000Kevin)
Post #: 1037
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/10/2021 5:03:52 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: 29000Kevin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

quote:

quote:

Your right, in CT's game the Allies attempted to escape by marching and driving through the Ganges Delta to avoid CT's army and escape to India but CT defeated his already battered armored forces with his own and trapped roughly 700,000 US, British and Indian Soldiers in a small pocket in a Mangrove Forest filled with Tigers...

Half a year later with constant aerial bombing the Allies were finally starved of supplies and defeated.

But in Wolfs game he still has the ability to starve supplies by bombarding Andy's city via Battleships, however BB bombardment burns a lot of supplies, still taking 1 supply point from a Airport or Port will always hurt.

You don't get my point guys. You're true judging the overal outcome in my game but the main and first reason why it turned out like it has was the fact that the equivalent of 40! Allied divisions plus 110 other units as support weren't able to take a heavy urban hex with level 9 forts defended by something like 5 IJA divs. That was the main reason why all failed. And that was the reason why he had to march out of Calcutta/Diamond Harbour at some point which ended in the complete encirclement.

(in reply to 29000Kevin)
Post #: 1038
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/10/2021 5:04:54 PM   
castor troy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

From what I can see Vlad is also not a heavy urban hex but rather a woods hex (x2) which makes a huge difference.

Ohhh! Vladivostok is a wooden hex? Hmmm, always had it in mind as a heavy urban hex, have to check that too in my game. x2 def bonus of course is entirely different then.

Post #: 1039
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/10/2021 10:55:13 PM   
29000Kevin

quote:

January 21, 1943

Looks like the game is afoot. All of a sudden, large-scale Allied troop movements are detected all over India. I think Andy's offensive in the subcontinent is about to happen. I was seriously considering a strong defense but I won't be ready for that until the arrival of half a dozen more divisions from the Soviet front so it may very well be too late for that. Andy's airpower has continued to grow over the past weeks/months and it's looking daunting too. I don't relish a fight with his divisions in the open with that kind of air support. Now I am thinking of a gradual retreat into Burma and delaying action elsewhere. I'm lucky I have naval superiority as that should allow me some flexibility for sea withdrawals when necessary. I will leave a residual garrison in Calcutta and maybe Bombay to hold out for as long as possible.

Meanwhile, Andy has also pulled back his motorized and mechanized Soviet units from the front in the north and I strongly suspect he will send them through Alma-Ata into China. I can't get enough supply up there for a strong stand so I will likely pull back there as well to more defensible lines. With 1943 here the high-water mark of the Japanese Empire's advance in this game is clearly over. It's been a fun ride, now for the grind.

It has been obvious for the last few months that Andy was planning something big in India with the signs beginning signs of the Battle of the Arabian Sea, the Soviet Bomber squadrons incident, KB's first attack on a large Convoy, the destruction of the last USN fleet Carriers, the extremely limited amount of naval traffic in Australia, the huge mega Allied Convoys escaping via storms... by the way why did you not just attack the allied convoys with your Surface ships, did they all fail to intercept it or was it too dangerous or something and the 1000 planes spotted on a base incident...

The pieces were their right in front of us, Andy has gone and placed all his eggs into one region.

Unfortunately for you the Rainy season June - September is over.

The best you can do now is destroy the Industry of India with a fighting retreat (for regions that have industry), use layered CAP to catch the Bombers, deploy the Tojo's to exterminate the Allied pools, send in your own bombers to punish his air bases without any cap, stockpile your supplies to Calcutta ASAP, make at stand at Calcutta, if the city gets surrounded turn it into a Stalingrad, make a defensive line in Burma and try to evacuate supplies and fuel to Ceylon.

And get KB ready to CAP trap any unsuspecting Bombers.

The Soviet Air force does exist but its threat is mostly minimal with the exception with the Battleships.

However I will warn you that I'm no expert so its up to your discretion on what you plan to do for the future of this campaign.

Heck you could do a full Air attack on the West Coast of America alongside a Battleship bombardment to damage Andy's Air factories and delay the arrival of late war planes and also destroy his old American BB's, I have seen the P-51H factory being bombed by the IJN Ise once before in a PBEM game where the Japan player launched a full scale invasion of the WC and failed to achieve the desired results. still it was bloody epic to watch it.

Attacking their is not that wise unless we want to destroy the American Battleship fleet, catch some CVE and kill some precious Tankers and meanwhile waste a lot of Japanese fuel.

Better yet you could attack Perl Harbour finally if he has moved the majority of his Air force to India or attack Australia again although not much can be accomplished, also LBA get progressively more dangerous in the South Pacific as 1943 ticks by so the risk might not be worth it.

Attacking Perl Harbour could land us a nice list of ship kills with some Oilers but we will get more mission kills than actual kills if the Battleships distract the bombers.
Australia doesn't seem that worth it since their ismnot much activities going on.

The choices are limitness with KB, but focusing on the front where Andy has all his eggs is probably the right decision to call since the RN might climb out of its closet to conduct Bombardments.

Post #: 1040
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/10/2021 11:25:57 PM   
GetAssista

Since Andy has no CV cover yet to get pushy on other theatres, it would be good to get a lot of USSR front veterans to Burma and beyond to fight in India, and have greener divisions dig in Siberia instead, hopefully training their xp in regular mutual bombardments with Soviets :) RR links are great, sea lanes are secure, and Japan starts having excess PPs somewhere around that time methinks.

quote:

Heck you could do a full Air attack on the West Coast of America alongside a Battleship bombardment to damage Andy's Air factories and delay the arrival of late war planes and also destroy his old American BB's, I have seen the P-51H factory being bombed by the IJN Ise once before in a PBEM game where the Japan player launched a full scale invasion of the WC and failed to achieve the desired results. still it was bloody epic to watch it.

BB bombardments of remote places is a fantasy at this point. Very little damage will be done even if you get CV air there to have Judys recon the place. First bombardments always trade the vast majority of their shots with CD forts, and you won't have a second one. In exchange for a lot of fuel spent and considerable risk of running into some DD torp attack too far from home.

(in reply to 29000Kevin)
Post #: 1041
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/11/2021 12:32:22 AM   
29000Kevin

Yeah Bombardmenting Los Angeles is not going to do much with the CD unless you brought some AKE's along the ride, I already said that a operation like that would waste a lot of Japanese fuel for limited gains, Bombarding the airfield in Perl Harbour however is much more practical as it allows your Carriers to focus all their bombs against the ships in Perl Harbour rather than wasting it on the airfield, also results in less loses for your veteran Carrier pilots and allows you to recover pilots if the ships remain on station.

< Message edited by 29000Kevin -- 3/11/2021 12:33:22 AM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 1042
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/11/2021 12:44:08 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

Bombarding the airfield in Perl Harbour however is much more practical as it allows your Carriers to focus all their bombs against the ships in Perl Harbour rather than wasting it on the airfield, also results in less loses for your veteran Carrier pilots and allows you to recover pilots if the ships remain on station.

PH has CD fort so everything I wrote applies. My own initial BB bombardments of PH recently traded shots with Oahu Harbor Defense instead of hitting the base. With 10+ DL to boot.

(in reply to 29000Kevin)
Post #: 1043
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/11/2021 10:12:52 AM   
DesertWolf101

That's right Kevin, I think the signs were overwhelming over the past months that Andy was going all in with India. I am still watching for any indications he might be planning something elsewhere as well though, I just have not seen any signs of it. I do have a couple of surprises for him in India, but overall I think he has brought enough to push me back to the Burmese border.

GetAssista, now that the I am largely in a defensive posture in the Soviet front (with the exception of Operation Furnace which is in the starvation stage), I am indeed moving divisions from there to threatened sectors. In less than a months time I should have around 20 divisions in India but unfortunately I think the last half a dozen of those will not arrive in time before Andy launches his offensive.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 1044
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/12/2021 5:09:59 AM   
DesertWolf101

January 24, 1943

Andy's offensive in India began with a series of heavy bomber raids on my forward airfields. First time I see the B-24 being used against me. Anticipating his strikes, I had largely pulled back my fighter groups from the forward airfields until I got a better sense of where he was striking. I will now move them forward to contest them.

CL Adelaide was also sunk by Nell bombers near Perth.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 3/12/2021 6:20:09 AM >

Post #: 1045
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/12/2021 4:25:58 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 25, 1943

A bit of a mixed bag in the air over India today. The Japanese suffered quite the disaster when I sent IJNAF bombers on a deep raid to hit the Hyderabad (Sindh) airfield that my intel inaccurately told me had no CAP but plenty of bombers on the tarmac. The result was an astounding 59 bombers lost... ouch! Thankfully I had switched over the elite torpedo trained aviators beforehand but my offensive punch in India is pretty much spent now.

On the other hand, Andy leveraged his USN fighters now that he doesn't have any CVNs but the Wildcats were torn to shreds by my Tojos. One Tojo was lost for some 40 F4F-4 fighters in sweeps over my airfields.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 3/12/2021 4:26:47 PM >

Post #: 1046
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/12/2021 8:27:43 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

On the other hand, Andy leveraged his USN fighters now that he doesn't have any CVNs but the Wildcats were torn to shreds by my Tojos. One Tojo was lost for some 40 F4F-4 fighters in sweeps over my airfields.

Allies will not have deep naval fighter pools until 4/43 when Hellcats come in. In stock1 USN has +30 Corsairs and +45 F4F-4 a month until then. So he can't sustain those kind of losses for long. His mainstay is relatively short-legged USArmy P-40K. So you better concentrate on CAPping your stuff and waiting for him running out of escorts for his bombers. Unfortunalely Tojos are crap against 4Es

IMO you should not really try to deep bomb him during the day for now, he had a lot of time to prepare so surely he has CAP over his initial bomber positions. Maybe later when his attention is divided between transferring planes and having an active land war. Your long range naval bombers are too fragile and valuable as sea area denial anyway to risk them in this role. Night bombing is another matter

Post #: 1047
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/13/2021 12:52:33 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

quote:

Allies will not have deep naval fighter pools until 4/43 when Hellcats come in. In stock1 USN has +30 Corsairs and +45 F4F-4 a month until then. So he can't sustain those kind of losses for long. His mainstay is relatively short-legged USArmy P-40K. So you better concentrate on CAPping your stuff and waiting for him running out of escorts for his bombers. Unfortunalely Tojos are crap against 4Es

IMO you should not really try to deep bomb him during the day for now, he had a lot of time to prepare so surely he has CAP over his initial bomber positions. Maybe later when his attention is divided between transferring planes and having an active land war. Your long range naval bombers are too fragile and valuable as sea area denial anyway to risk them in this role. Night bombing is another matter

I'm with you on the deep bombing. I only really tried that given the circumstances where multiple days of recon showed no fighter presence covering a juicy target. I think what might have actually happened was that I encountered bleeding CAP from Karachi. Even night bombing is very risky. I tried going after his overstacked airfields at Rawalpindi only to encounter significant amounts of night CAP. Luckily I only lost a single bomber in that raid but I didn't score any hits either.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 1048
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/13/2021 1:12:21 AM   
DesertWolf101

January 26, 1943

Day 3 of Andy's air campaign over India saw a massive and concentrated Allied effort to close the Japanese airfields at Indore. Luckily I had anticipated this and I moved in about 200 fighters (primarily Zeros and Tojos) the turn before to face the storm. First the Indore defenses had to suffer through a series of night raids by some 75 medium and heavy bombers (which I had some Nick fighters on CAP to distract). Andy then hit me during the day phases with P-40K, Beaufighter, and Wildcat/Martlet sweeps as well as bombing raids utilizing 141 heavy bombers (B17E/B24D) and approximately 110 escorted medium bombers (B25/B26).

My fighter defenses were eventually grounded down by the weight of the assault and large numbers of fighters had to be written off due to taking damage from the heavy bomber's defensive guns. Still, some 30 four engine bombers were destroyed and the Indore airfields are battered but not yet closed. 12 Japanese pilots paid the ultimate price.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 3/13/2021 1:15:40 AM >

Post #: 1049
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/13/2021 7:18:12 AM   
Dili

I don't think he can sustain that kind of losses for the heavies : 34 of 141 a 24% loss rate.

Btw what was the AA in your base for the 4 kills?

Post #: 1050
Page:   <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  33 34 [35] 36 37   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI