Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Empire of the Sun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/3/2021 10:30:00 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

You are naming your turns 1942 still , made me panic for a second i was like how does he have fully repaired Ki-84 factory in Jan 42

Ha yes, old habits die hard. Will edit the dates, thanks!

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 991
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/3/2021 10:31:29 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

I just launched the Editor. I see #707 IJA Infantry Squad, with Anti-Armor/Anti-Soft/Load Cost 5/20/17, without any upgrades, but also #709 IJA Infantry Squad with 5/22/19, which upgrades to #710 Infantry Squad, with values 25/20/17.
I started the game and loaded a first-turn save in Tracker, and it tells me there are 18684 #707 squads, and 8130 #709 squads.

However, when checking with the Editor the Scen 007 (Quiet China), which I know I haven’t updated, I indeed see that #710 has an unmodified Anti-Armor value of 5.

Therefore, the difference comes from AndyMac’s update to Scen 1 & 2. I guess you play an unmodified Scen 1.

Good to know, I wish I had that modification in our game.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 992
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/3/2021 10:32:14 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: 29000Kevin

quote:

ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101

January 3, 1942

My submarine screen has picked up some ship movements near Socotra. Combined with the hefty SIGINT I have been receiving I think it's time for the KB to dash in at flank and see if I can get something good. I am annoyed that the weather looks to be atrocious again, as well as the fact that the KB seems to have picked up a good deal of system/engineering damage points in the last few days since it sailed out of Colombo at mission speed.

Bad weather dam not again! Andy might have purposely timed his ships to leave port at that time to achieve maximum protection from KB or maybe its a coincidence through luck.

Even So, you might get a lucky break with the ships passing into a zone that has light Rain or better.

The Allies have yet to still learn that Loose Lips do indeed sink ships.
But then again how can you keep your lips sealed when the Allied pixelmen can't keep quiet when the convoy is going to be a really big big one if your Intelligence guys are correct on their assessment.

Lets just hope that KB's initial onslaught damages most of the ships in the Convoy evenly instead of outright sinking a small handful to allow the Surface Combat Task Forces to sink the wounded ships and get 100% confirmed kills.

Oh speaking of reports can you show us a list of the most valuable Merchant ships you have so far sunk in the war since we get a picture of your exploits for the entire year of 1942, and maybe the Warships list too if you want to.

Japan has also so far accomplished the feat of sinking the biggest ship in the world that I certainly know.

Sure thing mate, I will update with the Allied losses later today.

(in reply to 29000Kevin)
Post #: 993
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/3/2021 10:38:36 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 4, 1943

It was a bit of a rollercoaster ride with the Kido Butai today. As the KB dashed in, it encountered an Allied AM on picket which I thought might cause it to turn back but the KB continued on nonetheless and sure enough its naval search began picking up Allied ships. Unfortunately, the weather was just too bad so no air strikes were flown... Judging by the SIGINT it would also seem that Andy may have turned around the big convoy/s before they arrived on map? Maybe his own SIGINT picked up my KB!

Meanwhile, Andy responded to my battleship bombardments of Valdivostok (where 7 out of 9 defending subs have been sunk thus far) by bringing back the Soviet DB-T torpedo bombers from India. Recon tells me there are a lot of them at Voroshilov but only a dozen came at my Yamato task force today to no effect. Probably the Soviet squadrons were quite fatigued from their long trip back to the motherland.

(in reply to DesertWolf101)
Post #: 994
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/4/2021 1:44:49 AM   
DesertWolf101

A quick overview of Allied ship losses thus far. This is the list of aircraft carriers and battleships lost. CV Wasp is missing from this list. I am 99% sure it is destroyed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 3/4/2021 1:56:38 AM >

Post #: 995
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/4/2021 1:47:00 AM   
DesertWolf101

The Allies have lost a confirmed 10 heavy cruisers and 19 light cruisers. I have also counted 45 Allied destroyers and about 65 submarines destroyed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 3/4/2021 1:53:55 AM >

Post #: 996
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/4/2021 1:49:18 AM   
DesertWolf101

I've lost count of how many TK and AOs I have sunk. These are the biggest ones.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 3/4/2021 1:57:07 AM >

Post #: 997
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/4/2021 1:50:31 AM   
DesertWolf101

And the biggest AP/AK types.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 998
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/4/2021 1:57:24 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

And the biggest AP/AK and other auxiliary types.

Post #: 999
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/4/2021 6:57:40 AM   
Ambassador

Nice losses.

Did your first opponent tell you what he was doing with his fleet near Tahiti in March, before he quit ?

Post #: 1000
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/4/2021 7:06:47 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

Nice losses.

Did your first opponent tell you what he was doing with his fleet near Tahiti in March, before he quit ?

He didn't, but I think I have a good idea what he was up to. My supposition is that he was planning to attack my battleship force that was bombarding Pago Pago on a regular basis in support of the invasion. I had not shown the KB for months by then and I think he may have wrongly concluded that it would have done some airstrikes of the island if it had been around. At least that's my theory of what was going on.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 1001
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/4/2021 8:09:10 AM   
Ambassador

quote:

quote:

Nice losses.

He didn't, but I think I have a good idea what he was up to. My supposition is that he was planning to attack my battleship force that was bombarding Pago Pago on a regular basis in support of the invasion. I had not shown the KB for months by then and I think he may have wrongly concluded that it would have done some airstrikes of the island if it had been around. At least that's my theory of what was going on.

Thx. Then, he broke the first rule of the Allied player : in ‘42, if you don’t know where KB is, assume it is nearby.

Well, if he hadn’t, you wouldn’t invade USSR.

Post #: 1002
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/4/2021 8:35:39 PM   
Bif1961

I must hand it to you current Allied opponent for soldiering on and trying to reverse what has been a Tsunami of Japanese victories. I am sure the peasants at the Home Islands are like oh not another victory announcement.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 1003
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/4/2021 11:24:07 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

I must hand it to you current Allied opponent for soldiering on and trying to reverse what has been a Tsunami of Japanese victories. I am sure the peasants at the Home Islands are like oh not another victory announcement.

I assure you the peasants would constantly hear about "2 carriers, a battleship and numerous cruisers and destroyers" in any case

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 1004
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/5/2021 11:39:39 AM   
DesertWolf101

Andy informed me today that the KB ended up only a few hexes away from a 100 ship convoy in it's most recent charge.... curse ye weather gods!

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 1005
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/5/2021 3:33:00 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 5-9, 1943

Another huge convoy, the one the KB narrowly missed, arrived at Karachi. Looks like Andy is building up quite the force in India.

The main action in the Soviet Union has been centered around the effort to reduce supply in the Vladivostok pocket. Nikolaevsk was also taken which will allow me to ship supplies and oil directly to the Komsomolsk refineries.

This is what a typical bombardment of Vladivostok looks like. I wonder how much supply is eaten by a battleship shell.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1006
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/5/2021 3:34:39 PM   
DesertWolf101

An interesting encounter near Midway. My sub unfortunately missed its target, but it looks like Andy is pulling Soviet subs back from the motherland.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1007
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/6/2021 10:24:42 AM   
castor troy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

PS.
I am almost completely unaware of the mechanisms regarding soviets, but can't it be that he plans to conquer a base with soviets and bring the air assets there from India?

Allied air groups which are not Soviet may not be used from Soviet-nationality bases (i.e. the starting Soviet bases). If Soviet troops conquer another base, other Allied nations may base their air groups from there.

However, the Manchu or Korean bases closest to Vladivostok’s pocket are 72 hexes distant from Delhi or Rawalpindi. A transfer would depend on intervening Chinese bases.

What you mean? They can't use the bases because of a house rule or is the game prohibiting this?

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 1008
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/6/2021 10:31:34 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

quote:

PS.
I am almost completely unaware of the mechanisms regarding soviets, but can't it be that he plans to conquer a base with soviets and bring the air assets there from India?

Allied air groups which are not Soviet may not be used from Soviet-nationality bases (i.e. the starting Soviet bases). If Soviet troops conquer another base, other Allied nations may base their air groups from there.

However, the Manchu or Korean bases closest to Vladivostok’s pocket are 72 hexes distant from Delhi or Rawalpindi. A transfer would depend on intervening Chinese bases.

What you mean? They can't use the bases because of a house rule or is the game prohibiting this?

The game does not allow non-Soviet Allied squadrons to fly into Soviet starting bases. On the other hand, if the Soviets capture a base outside their territory then the other Allied squadrons can fly into those even if they are under the Soviet flag.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 1009
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/6/2021 10:38:09 AM   
castor troy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

PS.

The game does not allow non-Soviet Allied squadrons to fly into Soviet starting bases. On the other hand, if the Soviets capture a base outside their territory then the other Allied squadrons can fly into those even if they are under the Soviet flag.

Aah thanks for the clarification! Always thought the Allied could fly in heavy bombers from the Aleutains into Soviet bases to hit Japan from there. Good to hear that's not possible then.

Post #: 1010
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/6/2021 10:55:48 AM   
29000Kevin

quote:

quote:

quote:

PS.

It is hard coded in the game for non-Soviet planes to not be able to operate in Soviet Bases because usually the Soviets were only activated in 1945 when they have the assets and equipment to invade Manchuria but by 1945 the Cold War had already started with Harry S. Truman cancelling Land Lease for the Soviets after VE day and the Soviets purposely sabotaging the Polish Resistance.

The whole reason why Russia and Japan never signed a Peace Agreement in WW2 was thanks to America never mentioning what the Soviets were supposed to be annexing in the peace deal, despite Roosevelt promising Stalin that the Kuril islands were to be annexed by him after the declaration of war against Japan.

I will mention that their was a plan to base 1000 4E Bombers in Siberia in 1944, including a land lease of a few hundred B-24 Bombers in 1944 but those plans never went anywhere and effectively died when Roosevelt died.

So in short, the reason why W. Allied planes can't be based in the Soviet Union is because of Stalin and hard coding, and generally the untested state of Russia during the 1942 - 1943 period where their is practically nothing to reinforce the Soviets in the skies, thanks to the original Developers and the Luftwaffe.

By the time the Soviets do invade Manchuria however the Allies will be able to fly in planes, but that will take a long amount of time.

< Message edited by 29000Kevin -- 3/6/2021 10:58:18 AM >

Post #: 1011
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/6/2021 12:42:21 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 11, 1943

An interesting turn. The Yamato task force was heading in to bombard Vladivostok when it encountered a Soviet heavy cruiser. The enemy cruiser was quickly riddled with 36cm gunfire from the Ise and sank. The fun was not over though and later during the day the Japanese battleships were attacked by Soviet torpedo bombers. A fish hit the Yamato but failed to explode. Lucky!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 29000Kevin)
Post #: 1012
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/7/2021 12:26:40 AM   
DesertWolf101

January 12-13, 1942

Japanese battleships continue with their regular bombardments of Vladivostok. I am not getting as many supply hits as I would like (an average of only 1-2 per bombardment) but the battleships are destroying and damaging many Soviet guns which eventually should open the door for extensive air bombing.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1013
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/7/2021 12:34:45 AM   
DesertWolf101

I decided to go for one more deliberate attack in the north in the off chance I get some good odds. No dice. One small Japanese tank regiment was even isolated in the battle and destroyed. The good news is that if I am having this much trouble in x2 terrain then Andy will have an even worse time attacking me in x3 terrain now that I am going to switch over to the defensive in this sector.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1014
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/7/2021 12:37:08 AM   
DesertWolf101

Speaking of terrain types. What do you guys think of hexes 80,13/81,14/81,15. They appear as clear hexes in the map but they are given the designation of WR (x3 terrain) when I press the 1 button. This is in stock scenario/map. I assume it is probably WR and the map is wrong?

P.S. You can see in the image the very last Chinese Corps that is not encircled or destroyed making a run for the Soviet border.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1015
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/7/2021 8:44:38 AM   
castor troy

quote:

Speaking of terrain types. What do you guys think of hexes 80,13/81,14/81,15. They appear as clear hexes in the map but they are given the designation of WR (x3 terrain) when I press the 1 button. This is in stock scenario/map. I assume it is probably WR and the map is wrong?

P.S. You can see in the image the very last Chinese Corps that is not encircled or destroyed making a run for the Soviet border.

the graphics of the map is wrong, hence one should always check the terrain types using the shortcut

Post #: 1016
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/7/2021 10:08:46 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

quote:

the graphics of the map is wrong, hence one should always check the terrain types using the shortcut

Thanks. I remember I was flummoxed by the existence of a river between Diamond Harbor and Calcutta as well which is not quite visible on the map.

Post #: 1017
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/7/2021 5:51:16 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

January 12-13, 1942

Japanese battleships continue with their regular bombardments of Vladivostok. I am not getting as many supply hits as I would like (an average of only 1-2 per bombardment) but the battleships are destroying and damaging many Soviet guns which eventually should open the door for extensive air bombing.

Given the lack of coastal gun shots, I guess you bombard from very long range, if not max range for the 356mm ? It does have an influence on the number of hits. You might close the distance a bit.

From memory, there are a couple of heavy caliber guns (305-356mm, I think 9 total), and a few 203mm (not many), which all have a range over 30. The 180mm have much shorter range, but the 40 or so 130mm have a good range (around 20 IIRC) but will lack the penetration (however, beware the fires). Bombardments at range 25 should be still relatively safe.

Post #: 1018
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/7/2021 6:01:31 PM   
29000Kevin

quote:

January 11, 1943

An interesting turn. The Yamato task force was heading in to bombard Vladivostok when it encountered a Soviet heavy cruiser. The enemy cruiser was quickly riddled with 36cm gunfire from the Ise and sank. The fun was not over though and later during the day the Japanese battleships were attacked by Soviet torpedo bombers. A fish hit the Yamato but failed to explode. Lucky!

That heavy Cruiser right their is the newly Commissioned Kirov-Class Cruiser Kalinin and no its not the 1980s Missile Battlecruiser that happens to have the exact same name and class.

The ship was built in Komsomolsk-on-Amur and was commissioned in December 25th, 1942.

There is another ship of this class being built, but it will only be "ready" by 1944, I believe that the Soviets eventually get an Anti-Air Cruiser at some point, however I long forgotten which AAR I found that useful information in.

I should note the mouth of the river Amur has not been captured by the IJA despite being clearly cut off from the Vladivostok, I'm not sure if the Developers used the River as the spawn point for the Cruiser or Vladivostok as the spawning area, still best to make sure if you get a large VP haul by destroying any ships under construction there if the naval shipyard is modeled into the game.

< Message edited by 29000Kevin -- 3/7/2021 6:06:42 PM >

Post #: 1019
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/7/2021 6:46:31 PM   
Ambassador

As far as I remember, both cruisers are built, in AE, in Vladivostok, and not in Komsomolsk.

(in reply to 29000Kevin)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI