Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/14/2021 6:29:11 AM   
Cfant

quote:

ORIGINAL: thomasharvey

Carriers in the actual war were quite fragile with wooden decks. Some were destroyed with a single bomb or Kamikaze hit. Three Japanese carriers at Midway were set on fire to sink in only five minutes of attack. Ships in general were very vulnerable to torpedoes from any source and dive bombers could sink or heavily damage ships during only minutes of an attack.

You speak for the Americans. The Brits hat armored decks, as far as I know. Didn't even the Americans ask for british carriers in the late war, because they were better protected against Kamikaze-fighters?

However, capital ships are too easy to destroy by air in TOAW. It may be possible to find a workaround with the naval attrition divider, but while this may improve one situation, it may also be worse in an other fight...

@Larry: How do amphibious invasions work in the scenario? They are a pest in TOAW. When failing, the wait a week to be sunk :D transports should at least be able to retreat after an attack. Like every other unit can.

(in reply to thomasharvey)
Post #: 91
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/14/2021 8:21:48 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

@Larry: How do amphibious invasions work in the scenario? They are a pest in TOAW. When failing, the wait a week to be sunk :D transports should at least be able to retreat after an attack. Like every other unit can.

Yeah, those attacking units that fail to get ashore have to sit in their hex until next turn which may be an entire week ( or more ) and are very vulnerable to enemy attacks which a lot of the time results in them getting destroyed. That is terribly unrealistic. There must be changes to TOAW to fix this but I fear that the priority for a change to this situation might be incredably low right now.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/16/2021 11:40:29 AM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 92
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/14/2021 9:20:37 AM   
Cfant

Yeah, I suggested that during the development process of TOAW IV. Also on my wishlist then: more then 2 sides, so you can set different shock boni/mali. In WW1-scenarios Austrians also profit form German shock, which is... strange :)

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 93
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/21/2021 12:13:04 AM   
larryfulkerson

T130, Taihoku
I finally cleared the island of Formosa....now to tackle Okinawa.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 94
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 1/25/2021 1:59:06 PM   
larryfulkerson

T133, Expected Reinforcements
I'm scheduled to receive a lot of units and equipment in T134 which includes a lot of aircraft. I was hoping for another CV in the mix but it looks like I'm going to have to wait a little while longer for that kind of thing. During Karl's last turn he sank another of my CV's with his LBA because I didn't have enough fighters flying CAP at the time. D'oh.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 95
RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies - 2/4/2021 7:16:32 AM   
Sarsfield_slith

This game has now ended in a Stalemate

Playing as the Japs I had decided from early on to not to try and grab too much and defend the early gains better by not overextending my conquests.

The Victory conditions are set in stone in this scenario - the US must take Tokyo or Okinawa to win

I decided to fortify Okinawa to the maximum and put the Emperor's finest troops to hold it.

Eventually Larry was in a position to assault by TBH and IMO it was virtually impregnable at that stage.

Also due to the game mechanics of TOAW anti ship attacks can be devastating and this hit the US Carriers hard so I think that Larry was a few cans short of them by the time he reached Okinawa.

It was a good game and I enjoyed it but the Japanese get so many reinforcements as the game develops that it becomes very very hard for the US to win with conventional weapons.

Post #: 96
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pacific At War Karl Japs Larry Allies Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI