Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The biggest difference between the WW1 game vs WIE and WAW.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> The biggest difference between the WW1 game vs WIE and WAW. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The biggest difference between the WW1 game vs WIE and ... - 12/10/2020 2:48:11 AM   
Tanaka

Ending the turn next to a unit. In the WW1 game it makes no difference in combat. In WIE and WAW you get a combat bonus if you are next to a unit as opposed to moving up to one. In WW1 the combat is the same whether you start next to the enemy unit or move up to the enemy unit. This makes it very frustrating when switching between the games to remember this. Why the difference?

Post #: 1
RE: The biggest difference between the WW1 game vs WIE ... - 12/10/2020 3:33:27 AM   
ThisEndUp

Fairly certain you do get a 35%(?) bonus in this one too. I use it pretty often.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 2
RE: The biggest difference between the WW1 game vs WIE ... - 12/10/2020 4:13:33 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThisEndUp

Fairly certain you do get a 35%(?) bonus in this one too. I use it pretty often.

I use it as well but it seems like I get the same odds a lot more in this game if I move or not and I cannot figure out why?

(in reply to ThisEndUp)
Post #: 3
RE: The biggest difference between the WW1 game vs WIE ... - 12/10/2020 4:26:57 AM   
ThisEndUp

Units in the rear tend to have better morale and readiness. Perhaps that is why?

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 4
RE: The biggest difference between the WW1 game vs WIE ... - 12/10/2020 6:48:37 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

I use it as well but it seems like I get the same odds a lot more in this game if I move or not and I cannot figure out why?

Prepared attacks (starting right next to target unit) work the same here, but supply, readiness, morale are also a factor, as is terrain and weather. As a test also, if you have multiple HQ's with different strengths within range, toggle and attach the attacking unit with each HQ and see how the combat prediction may change. Even yet, just toggle one Hq on and off with that unit and see what difference may show.

The supply value of the commanding Hq is also important...a pretty complex thing. A simple hill in the way between the Hq and this same unit whether its attached or not can affect its supply. Units on roads also seem to be in better shape as the supply runs along it unimpeded by terrain or bad weather (unless its dirt roads during mud)

Take a close look at western Russian Poland at the roads as an example. They are unimproved dirt roads that lead right to the border with Germany. The Russians did this on purpose, not improving the transportation network there. The Germans can get bogged down there during mud, supply sucks, and its hard to move during those times as well. Attacks, even those that are 'prepared attacks', in this area with inclement weather, suffer unless an Hq is very close to the attacking unit(and attached to said HQ preferably)

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 12/10/2020 6:56:35 AM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 5
RE: The biggest difference between the WW1 game vs WIE ... - 12/11/2020 3:12:46 AM   
Tanaka

Yeah you guys are right and make good points this game frustrates me a lot more than the others in the series for sure. I think it is the rear units having so much more morale is a big difference among the other factors. It is quite an adjustment going back and forth from the WW2 games to this one. Have a lot to learn in this game!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 12/11/2020 3:14:01 AM >

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 6
RE: The biggest difference between the WW1 game vs WIE ... - 12/12/2020 9:36:23 AM   
Ktonos

Biggest difference for me is that in this one the National Decisions have more weight. Whereas in the WW2 counterparts most of the ND have one very good choice, here each one is a dilemma.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 7
RE: The biggest difference between the WW1 game vs WIE ... - 12/13/2020 7:27:39 PM   
MVP7

Other than the trench, infantry and artillery based gameplay, the biggest difference to me is how the end result of SC:WW1 tends to remain open for much longer than it does in WW2 setting. Both wars share the odds shifting from favoring the CP/Axis to favoring the Entente/Allies but the shift is much more subtle in WW1:

In WW2 the war is pretty much decided by 1942 but only really ends in late 1944. (Though I guess it could be a bit less clear cut in SC:WaW if Soviets surrender but Allies hold Britain, Africa and the Atlantic, and haven't lost in China/Pacific).

In WW1 even if Russia surrenders in late 1917 and US enters the war, it might still not be certain who will win. The bigger impact of national morale compared to the geographic front lines further complicates the situation and makes the various "side-shows" more important.

---

I'm pretty sure it's the trenches that reduce the importance of prepared attack compared to WW2 together with infantry being pretty much the only unit type.

I find it's generally much harder to avoid losses in SC:WW1 as the attacker than it is in WaW/WiE (as it should be). In WW2 you can use the right unit for the right opponent with the right support and cause a lot of damage with few losses. In WW1 even a successful attack will usually cost you: A bad attack is one where you take a lot of losses and cause few; a decent attack is one where you take (and hold) an important objective but lose more men; a great attack is one where you take the objective and cause the enemy more losses than you take yourself (and this is generally only possible very early without trenches or near the end of the war with fully realized artillery).

(in reply to Ktonos)
Post #: 8
RE: The biggest difference between the WW1 game vs WIE ... - 12/14/2020 11:37:49 PM   
Bavre

Yes, the game simulates slow and grinding warfare pretty well (at least on land). Unlike in the WW2 games, here the aspects of speed and power are completely separate as it actually was the case in WW1.
Since there are no fast, hardhitting spearhead units like in WW2 and the airforce is also no real damage dealer, it is difficult to bring much destructive power to bear beyond the immediate frontline.

(in reply to MVP7)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> The biggest difference between the WW1 game vs WIE and WAW. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI