Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: English Text Corrections

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> RE: English Text Corrections Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: English Text Corrections - 2/8/2021 12:18:44 AM   
Trifler

@Luckspeare
I agree with the above, except I would capitalize "High Leader" since it's a title of office.

(in reply to Luckspeare)
Post #: 31
RE: English Text Corrections - 2/8/2021 11:32:36 AM   
BlueTemplar

quote:

Also, there is no actual roll. It says there is, but I reloaded and redid this event multiple times, and it's always 97.

Games use pseudo-random number generators, which are functions with "unpredictable" results. The "rolls" are based on a "seed" number. A P-RNG will always give the same result from the same seed. (Then usually the result becomes the next seed, and so on...)

Computer clock time in (milli)seconds is often used as a varying seed to make the P-RNG result vary.

(Many "rolls" in SE indeed seem to have varying seeds, as can be seen from getting different results by running turn processing again from the same end turn autosave. I guess that you found an exception ?)

Many games allow you to control this behaviour with a "fixed seed" (or not) option (which tends to apply to everything).

(in reply to Luckspeare)
Post #: 32
RE: English Text Corrections - 2/8/2021 2:30:08 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

"Our relation turned Hostile."
not strictly required, but is a little bit off -- suggested replacement -> "Our relations have turned Hostile."

Also, I noticed that Mind +3 doesn't happen like the previous screen said it would.
Also, there is no actual roll. It says there is, but I reloaded and redid this event multiple times, and it's always 97.

The game only uses a pseudorandom number generator.
Those will always give the same result, given the same inputs.

Saving the pRNGs State (or already having made he rolles before showing it to the player) prevents savescumming.

(in reply to Luckspeare)
Post #: 33
RE: English Text Corrections - 2/8/2021 4:01:31 PM   
Luckspeare

I've never seen a roll which is 100% the same every reload. Well, I should say, difficulty numbers are pre-rolled and will not change. But the actual roll the player's commander makes always has some random element to it. This is the first time since I started playing SE that the roll is always literally the same number. On that first screen, it doesn't appear that the roll is based on any skill, either -- normally it will show you the skill and chances.

To test further, since this should normally be a diplomacy roll, modified by Charisma, I used the medal leader strat that gives +10 to charisma rolls then did it again -- still 97. So even if this is a case of predetermined roll, if it was a diplomacy-based roll, it should still be 107 now, I would think.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 34
RE: English Text Corrections - 2/9/2021 8:23:40 AM   
BlueTemplar

Yeah, *that* sounds like a bug.

(in reply to Luckspeare)
Post #: 35
RE: English Text Corrections - 2/12/2021 6:14:52 PM   
Luckspeare

I'll report that aspect of this as a bug in the appropriate subforum then.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 36
RE: English Text Corrections - 2/13/2021 10:22:34 AM   
OrnluWolfjarl

High leader seems to be the official title for their leader. I think it should say "The High Leader"

(in reply to Luckspeare)
Post #: 37
RE: English Text Corrections - 2/13/2021 6:52:05 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: OrnluWolfjarl

High leader seems to be the official title for their leader. I think it should say "The High Leader"

My instinct tells me to not subsume the gramatical Article into the Name.

There can be cases where you do not want the article as part of the title. And any text that needs it, can add it to the text: "The [insert ruler title] [insert ruler name], does/says something"

(in reply to OrnluWolfjarl)
Post #: 38
RE: English Text Corrections - 2/13/2021 8:34:04 PM   
OrnluWolfjarl

Oh yeah, I think I added that The due to the text of the particular message.

Also, unrelated to the above, but there was another comment about the militia plaque. The event clearly states the plaque is meant to be placed on a memorial already, and the militia are just asking you to fund it, so that message makes sense and needs no corrections, besides any typos that might be there.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 39
RE: English Text Corrections - 2/28/2021 10:30:20 AM   
zgrssd

The highest Respiratory Hazard Level is poorly named with "Insidious".
The word indicates stuff like Stealthy, Methodical and Ambush - the exact opposite of "Instant death without Envirosuit", what it stands for.

If there is any level that is Insidious, it is 1 or 2 - because it might fool you into thinking it is sufficient to use no protection/only filters.

A proper Term to use instead? "Instant Death". A BHL of "Instant Death" makes clear that it is the worst level.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/28/2021 10:31:22 AM >

(in reply to Luckspeare)
Post #: 40
RE: English Text Corrections - 2/28/2021 11:18:36 AM   
zgrssd

Planet creation, colonization screen:
While both variants appear correct, I think that "Colonisation" (with a S) is the more common spelling in games then "Colonization" (with a Z).

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 41
RE: English Text Corrections - 2/28/2021 5:11:56 PM   
rastacam

When appointing a new director: We need to appoint some-one in charge...
I guess, it should be "someone".

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 42
RE: English Text Corrections - 3/1/2021 1:21:55 PM   
Vic

Thanks for these. I'll try to implement the majority of these corrections in one of the upcoming open beta patches.

best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to rastacam)
Post #: 43
RE: English Text Corrections - 3/16/2021 3:34:14 AM   
Daza99

Typo source: Incident Decision "Incident with a hard sentence"

Typo .."I judged them to be summarily excuted." Spelling should be executed

(in reply to Trifler)
Post #: 44
RE: English Text Corrections - 3/17/2021 1:48:45 AM   
Daza99

Stratagem Card: Banker Ally

Typo: Le instead of Let "...Impose no repayments. Le me help you.."

(in reply to Daza99)
Post #: 45
RE: English Text Corrections - 3/17/2021 5:04:24 AM   
Arcalane

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

The word indicates stuff like Stealthy, Methodical and Ambush - the exact opposite of "Instant death without Envirosuit", what it stands for.

If there is any level that is Insidious, it is 1 or 2 - because it might fool you into thinking it is sufficient to use no protection/only filters.

A proper Term to use instead? "Instant Death". A BHL of "Instant Death" makes clear that it is the worst level.

The uses of Insidious and Battle Dress make me wonder if Vic is a fan of the Traveller RPG 'verse for two reasons;
1) The former is an atmospheric type on certain worlds; an insidious-class atmosphere is one that methodically eats away at even the best personal protection available, requiring regular checkups and maintenance. Compare the hard vacuum of open space to the surface of Venus; both are (near-)instantly deadly to an unprotected human, but somewhere like Venus is considered Insidious by Traveller's (and presumably, SE's) standards.
2) The latter term is also used there for high-end fully powered exoskeletal armour.

There may be some other shared heritage that I'm not aware of, or it could be pure coincidence.

It's a little idiosyncratic, but if the game gets/has any mechanics for atmospheric conditions increasing unit fatigue and maintenance requirements, then it's worth the distinction between simply "immediately deadly without protection" and "inevitably deadly even with protection", the latter of which isn't adequately articulated by just "Instant Death".

< Message edited by Arcalane -- 3/17/2021 5:09:48 AM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 46
RE: English Text Corrections - 3/17/2021 7:00:09 AM   
Arcalane

Also, to offset waffling about idiosyncrasies, here's an actual text correction; Polymer Armour should probably be Composite Armour.

Polymers are a very 'wide' and 'vague' concept, because they exist in many, many natural and synthetic forms, and the most common synthetic polymers are plastics; PET and PVC, for instance. It also covers (para-)aramids like kevlar which, whilst good as a personal protective measure, isn't something I'd use by itself for a tank.

On the other hand, the role it seems intended to fulfil is that of modern Composites; layering steel, plastics, ceramics, and other materials to provide higher strength for less weight than straight rolled steel armour. Mechanically it should probably cost metal+oil (given what we need to make plastics) and maybe a small amount of rare metals.

ed- come to think of it, where's active defense measures like Arena/Iron Fist/Trophy?

< Message edited by Arcalane -- 3/17/2021 7:11:26 AM >

(in reply to Arcalane)
Post #: 47
RE: English Text Corrections - 3/17/2021 9:48:52 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arcalane

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

The uses of Insidious and Battle Dress make me wonder if Vic is a fan of the Traveller RPG 'verse for two reasons;
1) The former is an atmospheric type on certain worlds; an insidious-class atmosphere is one that methodically eats away at even the best personal protection available, requiring regular checkups and maintenance. Compare the hard vacuum of open space to the surface of Venus; both are (near-)instantly deadly to an unprotected human, but somewhere like Venus is considered Insidious by Traveller's (and presumably, SE's) standards.
2) The latter term is also used there for high-end fully powered exoskeletal armour.

There may be some other shared heritage that I'm not aware of, or it could be pure coincidence.

It's a little idiosyncratic, but if the game gets/has any mechanics for atmospheric conditions increasing unit fatigue and maintenance requirements, then it's worth the distinction between simply "immediately deadly without protection" and "inevitably deadly even with protection", the latter of which isn't adequately articulated by just "Instant Death".

If I remember my Traveller Maps correctly, they were randomly generated. One a hex base.
Including a hex base for a planet. I wonder if hte hex sizes were ~200km in Traveller too?
I should have some PDF's of the original rules laying around.

(in reply to Arcalane)
Post #: 48
RE: English Text Corrections - 3/17/2021 11:56:14 AM   
BlueTemplar

quote:

an insidious-class atmosphere is one that methodically eats away at even the best personal protection available, requiring regular checkups and maintenance. Compare the hard vacuum of open space to the surface of Venus; both are (near-)instantly deadly to an unprotected human, but somewhere like Venus is considered Insidious by Traveller's (and presumably, SE's) standards.

Well, the vacuum of space fits that definition too then, between the large temperature differences between being irradiated by the star or not, radiation, high-energy particles and micrometeoroids...

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 49
RE: English Text Corrections - 3/17/2021 12:42:09 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlueTemplar

quote:

an insidious-class atmosphere is one that methodically eats away at even the best personal protection available, requiring regular checkups and maintenance. Compare the hard vacuum of open space to the surface of Venus; both are (near-)instantly deadly to an unprotected human, but somewhere like Venus is considered Insidious by Traveller's (and presumably, SE's) standards.

Well, the vacuum of space fits that definition too then, between the large temperature differences between being irradiated by the star or not, radiation, high-energy particles and micrometeoroids...

Deep Space and Venus do not compare. Space is way to save!

We have so much stuff in space, we might already be in a Keppler Cascade.
At 464°C surface temperature and 92000 mbar (about as strong as 1km under the Ocean), we never managed to make a probe that survives a day down there.
96.5% Carbon Dioxide - if added to being much closer to the sun - makes the planet Greenhouse effect central.
The atmosphere is more like a gas giants, then a moons.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 3/17/2021 12:44:03 PM >

Post #: 50
RE: English Text Corrections - 3/17/2021 12:51:16 PM   
BlueTemplar

bar use is pretty much deprecated, you should be using Pa (or atm ~= 1.013 bar ~= 101.3 kPa) instead

AFAIK we aren't talking about *literally* Venus, but one of the SE (and Traveller's ?) planets ?

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 51
RE: English Text Corrections - 3/17/2021 1:15:10 PM   
Arcalane

quote:

bar use is pretty much deprecated, you should be using Pa (or atm ~= 1.013 bar ~= 101.3 kPa) instead

AFAIK we aren't talking about *literally* Venus, but one of the SE (and Traveller's ?) planets ?

I looked up Venus on the (un)official Traveller wiki (as it takes place in our galaxy and thus the Sol system is fully statted out) and Venus is classed as Insidious.

Obviously mileage may vary; I don't think SE can generate anywhere quite as hostile as Venus, but maybe I'm wrong. I know it can generate all kinds of !!Fun!! atmospheric contents, like nitric oxide/nitrogen dioxide and cyanogen - the latter of which is essentially gaseous cyanide.

Post #: 52
RE: English Text Corrections - 3/17/2021 2:56:37 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

The main thing is that vacuum is far from the worst a Environmental Suit might have to protect you from!
Places with 2 digit bar figures and several hundred degrees make Vacuum look like a "Walk in the Park".

I admit SE is not likely to happen on any of those (the worst I saw were 2 Bar and ~70°C), but the realm is there.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 3/17/2021 4:59:22 PM >

Post #: 53
RE: English Text Corrections - 3/17/2021 10:45:06 PM   
Arcalane

Another minor gripe; "Cluster Bombs". This tech applies to regular howitzers (both direct-fire and artillery) and rocket/missile launchers as well as aircraft bomb bays. I'd suggest "Enhanced Fragmentation" or "Cluster Munitions" as alternative terms that serve as better catch-alls for the multiple use cases.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 54
RE: English Text Corrections - 3/18/2021 9:30:25 AM   
Daza99

Stratagem Typo: "Call to Succes" instead of Success
It seems it is all of the Call to Success stratagem cards 1, 2

(in reply to Arcalane)
Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> RE: English Text Corrections Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI