Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Slitherine poll

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Slitherine poll Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 1:56:54 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus
So let's see. Adam Tooze (a scholar) tweets something about an article he found in some *specialized* magazine, which he is sharing... you're saying that's fake?

no, it's not fake, I just don't care about it, and certainly would not wade through the reams of crap on twitter to seek it out.

quote:

As far as I know (I don't buy conspiracies) only by the mid or end of january the Chinese realized this might be a once-in-a-century pandemic Before that moment (early january, december), this was some sort of pneumonia...

If this is what you learned on twitter, it's wrong. That was the official Chinese government position, but alarm bells were going off within China and most major news organizations around the world were reporting a potentially serious issue well before the end of January. Did they report that it would become a global pandemic? No, of course not, because no one knew that at that point, but they certainly reported a serious and highly infectious disease outbreak in China.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 61
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 3:30:59 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Twitter is censuring, along with other big tech. That's a big no, no. I don't have a twitter account , never had one. Surely, under the present circumstances I will not start an account to support them or a Slitherine Poll that chooses twitter.

They're allowed too. Just like any private company.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 62
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 4:11:49 AM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Polls.
Inasmuch as we are talking about a wargaming poll... Twitter is about as far away from a relevant source as I can imagine.

We wargamers are a long-winded variety. Twitter is the opposite.
Why not pick a more logical location BGG.
Why not something like Reddit.

WHY NOT HERE?
If I was a game developer, the LAST place I'm picking is Twitter.
I might pick Steam, even if Steam is rife with bias. I might pick GoG, at least they are a massive gamer draw.
I'm picking gaming sites.

Not Twitter.

In fact, you're making yourself irrelevant. Instead of creating an account and voicing your opinion, the folks here demand that the Slitherine staff grovel in front of them and beseech them for their opinion. What really happens is that your voice won't be heard, and perhaps Matrix Games/Slitherine will finally realise that there are big markets outside the grognard circles...or nothing at all happens as it just one poll amongst many.

What I believe it tells Matrix/slitherine is that many here will not be opening an account on twitter/reddit. which is, information they did not have before. Why can't they set up polls in the different locations? And as well here at Matrix. Pretty simple to gather that information. As it is now they miss out in the input from many here. I mean, Edmon stressed how they rely on input but they are missing our input.

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 63
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 4:16:17 AM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

Twitter is censuring, along with other big tech. That's a big no, no. I don't have a twitter account , never had one. Surely, under the present circumstances I will not start an account to support them or a Slitherine Poll that chooses twitter.

Yes I know but we are allowed to avoid it as well. Which is what many here are stating. As relates to the poll. Keep the poll in other location ut add it to here. Is that so difficult?

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 64
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 6:49:37 AM   
Neilster

quote:

...and certainly would not wade through the reams of crap on twitter to seek it out

You don't have to. That's not how Twitter works. Apart from some ads that you can quickly scroll past, you only see the stuff you subscribe to.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 65
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 8:27:39 AM   
bazjak

I like others on here wont entertain Twitter or other platforms so why not backdown on you hardened outlook and admit your wrong (you wont be ridiculed by me or others as in my mind those that do a u-turn prove that they ARE LISENING to the masses ) and put the poll on here and combine the the results with the twitter poll
Like all polls none are reliable as have proven in polls about what the results would be in elections-referendums etc and polls about almost anything
Not many give the correct answer

< Message edited by bazjak -- 1/16/2021 8:28:28 AM >

(in reply to springel)
Post #: 66
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 11:57:17 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm
no, it's not fake, I just don't care about it, and certainly would not wade through the reams of crap on twitter to seek it out.

As per my example, do you believe the likes of Tooze post crap? It's been said freakshows *must* be avoided so where's the problem exactly?

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 67
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 12:04:09 PM   
springel

Old farts on this forum don't know how Twitter works, they only know that they don't want anything to do with it. But that is the essence of an old fart, isn't it?

Post #: 68
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 12:17:49 PM   
RangerJoe

If Matrix had asked me to join either place or any other place by using a thread, explaining the reasons why they might prefer that route and why they can't/won't do it here, then I would consider doing so. Otherwise . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to springel)
Post #: 69
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 12:24:43 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

If Matrix had asked me to join either place or any other place by using a thread, explaining the reasons why they might prefer that route and why they can't/won't do it here, then I would consider doing so. Otherwise . . .

They said it on message #43:

"But as far as I know, this forum is too old to support secure polls"

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 70
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 12:32:25 PM   
DD696

We know for a fact that anything put on twitter, spybook and the like is definitely secure. Those pillars of society would never use information posted by you for their own benefit.

Of course, my statement above is totally false.

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

Post #: 71
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 12:53:27 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

They said it on message #43:

"But as far as I know, this forum is too old to support secure polls"

Yes, but did a staff member mention the polling place, explain why it was not being done here, then asked us to go there for our input? I don't think so. I think that it was just a forum member.

― Julia Child

Post #: 72
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 2:27:05 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: springel

Old farts on this forum don't know how Twitter works, they only know that they don't want anything to do with it. But that is the essence of an old fart, isn't it?

So now we go on to stereotypes. Old people are stupid and know nothing about social (or anti social) platforms and are ignorant of anything electronic beyond the electric light bulb. Good job.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to springel)
Post #: 73
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 2:57:56 PM   
springel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

So now we go on to stereotypes. Old people are stupid and know nothing about social (or anti social) platforms and are ignorant of anything electronic beyond the electric light bulb. Good job.

I am old and retired myself. I am allowed to do this.

EDIT: (and I replaced 'reactionary' by 'old fart' before I posted it, see how nice I am?)

< Message edited by springel -- 1/16/2021 2:59:43 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 74
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 3:30:09 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes I know but we are allowed to avoid it as well. Which is what many here are stating. As relates to the poll. Keep the poll in other location ut add it to here. Is that so difficult?

You missed the irony. If you're going to avoid twitter because of censorship, which you say is a big no no.... well this place does it too :)

I avoid Twitter. But not because of censorship. It just doesn't strike me as worthwhile.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 75
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 3:32:22 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

quote:

EDIT: (and I replaced 'reactionary' by 'old fart' before I posted it, see how nice I am?)

I'm an old fart. The Empress is an older fart. WE know how it works, we just don't use it.

(in reply to springel)
Post #: 76
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 4:32:42 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm an old fart. The Empress is an older fart. WE know how it works, we just don't use it.

Old farts have lost their stink. Now a nice, young, fresh fart . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 77
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 4:39:49 PM   
rico21

quote:

What you don't understand or don't want to understand is that for many of us Twitter is complicit in what happened at the Capitol and we don't want to be associated with it in any way.

(in reply to springel)
Post #: 78
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 4:46:52 PM   
springel

quote:

ORIGINAL: rico21

quote:

What you don't understand or don't want to understand is that for many of us Twitter is complicit in what happened at the Capitol and we don't want to be associated with it in any way.

I thought that was Trump.

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 79
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 5:14:55 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

...and the party's in full swing...

Please read my initial post with a little comprehension: "Why not log in..." I never said "sign in."

And please don't turn this into some sort of political debate garbage... It was supposed to help Matrix get some extra opinions rather than creating an outlet for your subconscious phobias...

Could the moderator please close this thread?

< Message edited by Freyr Oakenshield -- 1/16/2021 5:19:51 PM >

(in reply to springel)
Post #: 80
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 5:27:12 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

Please read my initial post with a little comprehension: "Why not log in..." I never said "sign in."

And please don't turn this into some sort of political debate garbage... It was supposed to help Matrix get some extra opinions rather than creating an outlet for your subconscious phobias...

In order to log in, one needs an account. And log in and sign in mean the same thing.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 81
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 5:39:35 PM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

In order to log in, one needs an account. And log in and sign in mean the same thing.

This^^^^

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 82
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 5:46:17 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

This^^^^

Do you have a problem comprehending my post?

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 83
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 6:03:55 PM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This^^^^

OMG...you have a problem with people agreeing with you.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 84
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 6:06:04 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This^^^^

I did not know what you meant by this "This^^^^" as I usually see a "+1" for an agreement.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 85
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 7:39:43 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

quote:

...And log in and sign in mean the same thing.

That's right, I meant "sign up." Still, the rest of my argument stands. You seem to be nit-picking here. The point is it was just a heads-up for people to help Matrix know their opinions, but you guys have turned it into some kind of political-ideological debate...

edit:
But why do I care? At least, I've clocked up a couple of extra posts...

< Message edited by Freyr Oakenshield -- 1/16/2021 7:52:24 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 86
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 7:46:21 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

...And log in and sign in mean the same thing.

That's right, I meant "sign up." Still, the rest of my argument stands. You seem to be nit-picking here. The point is it was just a heads-up for people to help Matrix know their opinions, and you've turned it into some kind of political-ideological debate...

Nit picking? Are you stating that I have
LICE!?

I never turned it into any kind of political-ideological debate either!

State what you mean or you are a liar.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 87
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 8:02:09 PM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This^^^^

I did not know what you meant by this "This^^^^" as I usually see a "+1" for an agreement.

I'm sorry. I thought since only Americans were ignorant this fairly universal sign of agreement would be understood by you. My sincerest apologies.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 88
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 8:06:33 PM   
MrsWargamer

Notice complete lack of quoting in my post.

Young old, it must be a wargamer thing, that you men can argue over ANYTHING :)

If anything at all, this thread should be embarrassing to you guys. Should be, not sure it will be.

Good grief, I'm not sure I'd want to poll wargamers, here there or just about anywhere :)

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 89
RE: Slitherine poll - 1/16/2021 8:10:59 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Notice complete lack of quoting in my post.

Young old, it must be a wargamer thing, that you men can argue over ANYTHING :)

If anything at all, this thread should be embarrassing to you guys. Should be, not sure it will be.

Good grief, I'm not sure I'd want to poll wargamers, here there or just about anywhere :)

Poll bulls, it makes them safer.

― Julia Child

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Slitherine poll Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI