Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AAR Before turn 3 Allies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> AAR Before turn 3 Allies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AAR Before turn 3 Allies - 1/22/2021 3:23:41 AM   
kentkroeckel

AAR for Allies before turn 3

Hello to all gamers who enjoy the challenge of War in the West (WitW). I have been invited to do an After Action Report, (AAR) on a 1943-945 long turn campaign game that has just started. All boxes were checked so this includes East Front (EF) active. This is my first AAR so I am not familiar with format. Therefore, please be patient while I learn what organizational style is best. I would like to propose a topic on each major turn and get insight by WitW community. All I ask from everyone is to be respectful to each other. There are not many absolutes in game play so what might be a successful strategy in one could be a dismal failure against another opponent. Please keep that in mind, even if you disagree with a comment. My name is Kent (Allies) and my opponent’s name is Mr. Gerry (Germany). Remember, we are here to have fun, gain insight, and maybe share a nugget of wisdom on game mechanics.

I decided to only use three amphibious HQ's for initial invasion and this is the first point of discussion. This is not my first game of WitW so that leaves me without excuse as to what I did. I had not been challenged by Germany on an initial invasion for so long that I thought Allies’ three amphibious HQ's would be enough. Let me clarify a few details to this. Two of my three hexes were port invasion hexes. This left me with just one true beach head; the kind that allows Allies to pour in vast amounts of reinforcements. And yes, all units were supplied with one or two support elements. Of course if an Allied unit is given three, then it will not be able to launch in first turn. Additionally, the port hex of Gela always retains its reinforcement level.

Below are screen shots before start of Allies turn 3.This means before reduction of German naval intervention.

[image][/image]

My objective was to make sure I had one good reinforcement hex in initial invasion since I was invading in and around Sicily with the three remaining amphibious HQ's. For sake of argument let us assume that Germany can take two landing points in initial invasion. Though I feel British beachheads are tougher than the American ones. And in fact Germany did take the American port / city of Gela, which was a functional port. As we all know, any port that is taken uncontested usually keeps its reinforcement level. The other port, Siracusa is not worth much, as it relates to reinforcements for a few turns. In retrospect, I wish I had invaded on three dedicated beaches.

Topic: I conclude that three regular beaches will prevent Germany with the opportunity to impede Allied reinforcement flow. I now ask the community; facing best case for Germany, how would you play initial Allied invasion? Specifically, how many invasion hexes would you dedicate to Allied invasion? 0-6. Please specify what type. Two are cities and four are beach. Please explain the reasoning and to what goal you wish to achieve? Finally, if you still feel like writing, please give worst case scenario and what you would do in altering your invasion to salvage from your worst case scenario.

“A victory or defeat can usually be obtained in the same battle.” I am sure through time someone has uttered this.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kentkroeckel -- 1/22/2021 3:38:25 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: AAR after turn 3 Allies - 1/22/2021 3:43:07 AM   
kentkroeckel

[image][/image]ARR for Allies after turn 3

Learning play style of an opponent is a challenging process. One issue that Allies needed to address immediately was Mr. Gerry (Germany) move committing major air assets in apposing Allied Sicilian invasion. Aggravating this situation was Kent (Allies) move / repositioning of patrol aircraft.

Original Allied goal was to land substantial units at beachhead on Mainland Italian boot to secure Reggio port city. With this capture, reinforcements along with supply are limited for Sicily. Compounding this, the main supply city of Palermo has been taken by Allies. Of course most war plans have to change. There are a few other choice words that are often referred to “change” which are more colorful but they are suited to conflict rather than use in our forum. Ha.

Allies decided to unload majority of units on new Sicilian beachheads. Goal now is to destroy / rout as many Italians units as possible. This includes support units stationed in Sicilian cities. Mass losses should help hasten Italian surrender. Second goal, and quite frankly parallels first, is to secure Sicily.

Strategic Goal: Since Germany invested in German units mounting initial beachhead resistance, then harassment of retreat needs to be maintained while a possibility of envelopment may be created. At the time of this writing Germany has the Sicilian port of Messina, no surprise. Additionally, the port of Catania also remains under German control and I believe both defended with German units. The final port, Sciacca is only defended by Italians so will assuredly fall in turn 4. I believe that both previously mentioned Sicilian ports will be taken by Allies by turn 5 or sooner. Of course Messina can sometimes present a challenge if defended by a German division or two.

Topic: What should be the primary goal Allies have when invading Sicily? To secure island itself seems logical. Paralleling this goal; destroying Italian units and maybe slow-moving German units. Is getting across to Mainland Italy the next goal or should effort be in securing Sardinia and Corsica, if they are contested? Getting across to Italian mainland is important but should any objective be placed before that? It would seem ferry / amphibious attacks are a risky venture if even a moderate German defense is placed on both ferry hexes. A lot to unpack here in this topic. Feel free to explain different landing objective, such as the other islands or maybe initial invasion only on mainland Italy. Love to hear the whole gamut of options and reasoning behind them.

Screen shot is before turn 4 for Allies.
[image]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kentkroeckel -- 1/22/2021 3:52:58 AM >

(in reply to kentkroeckel)
Post #: 2
RE: AAR after turn 3 Allies - 1/22/2021 8:10:27 AM   
loki100

I'd suggest that the answers lie in part in technical issues and mainly in what are you trying to do. Due to the distinct phases - Sicily/Italy (& how far here)/France - each with very clear planning issues, WiTW is fundamentally a game for the Allies about strategic planning .. coming up with a framework and then working out the mechanics to deliver.

Your T1 landings are fine.

Your T4 landings are a bit of a waste of capacity. See my AAR vs Glorious Ruse (where he is the allies) for how devastating a 2 hex invasion can be either side of Reggio Calabria to the Axis player.

Absolutely no gain to the landings on the north side of Sicily - one of those should have been on the mainland, the other held back for Corsica or Sardinia. Make sure you have units ready to ship because Sardinia will open up soon, Corsica needs a naval invasion (or a very incautious opponent).

The operational challenge in Italy is that each landing must be within your air cover. You can push this a bit but again assuming a competent opponent the losses may well remove the gain for the location. Again look at both my games with GR as there is a lot about the cost-benefits on these decisions. A good German player will hammer your invasion and you need to bring in a lot of short range fighters to protect it.

Italy will surrender with your mainland landings in August/September, so every loss they inflict on you is a free gain to the Axis player.

edit - more generally, you'll find a lot of the discussions you are looking for in the other AARs, Xhoel's is excellent from a German perspective (& you can work out a number of flaws in the approach of those Allied players). You'll get more from reading what exists than expecting people to offer you deep advice on your game

< Message edited by loki100 -- 1/22/2021 9:28:31 AM >

(in reply to kentkroeckel)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> AAR Before turn 3 Allies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI