Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: DW2 FAQ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/10/2021 12:17:23 PM   
Cauldyth

Yeah, there'd have to be a counter. Maybe use your spy network to find out who's behind the attacks!

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 271
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/10/2021 3:53:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth
Hmm, will it be possible to spec out a ship that completely masks its empire of origin, even if it attacks? One of the coolest aspects of DW is that combat doesn't automatically trigger war. It would be an interesting form of subterfuge to anonymously raid your opponents shipping lines.

As it stands right now, if you had enough of a divergence between your stealth tech and their sensor tech, you could hope to hide pretty much everything up until you attacked. When you're in the same location attacking their stuff, we assume that it reveals enough in the way of your energy signature that they can identify everything (except they still won't get all of #5 without a powerful enough trace scanner).

The huge advantage stealth gives is that normally enemy ships and fleets can't be everywhere, so long range detection allows time for defense fleets to adjust to intercept an incoming attack. If they don't even know the attack is happening until the incoming fleet is almost there or already on top of the target, often the attack has a far greater chance of success.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 272
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/10/2021 7:53:47 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

The huge advantage stealth gives is that normally enemy ships and fleets can't be everywhere, so long range detection allows time for defense fleets to adjust to intercept an incoming attack. If they don't even know the attack is happening until the incoming fleet is almost there or already on top of the target, often the attack has a far greater chance of success.

Regards,

- Erik

This begs the question of will the dw2 AI be significantly upgraded from dw1? If there was a real weakness to the first game then the AI would probably be the most pointed out past some of the UI shenanigans.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 273
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/18/2021 9:35:57 AM   
muncuss

hi Erik, i just thought, can u add sub fleet mechanic in future update? to make easier organizing something like commanding several task force or system defense fleets in X sector with one click

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 274
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/25/2021 4:55:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness
This begs the question of will the dw2 AI be significantly upgraded from dw1? If there was a real weakness to the first game then the AI would probably be the most pointed out past some of the UI shenanigans.

We're certainly going to give it our best shot. I know of a lot of specific things the DW2 AI does much better than DW1, but the real question of whether it will give you a more competitive game remains to be seen.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 275
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/25/2021 4:56:22 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: muncuss
hi Erik, i just thought, can u add sub fleet mechanic in future update? to make easier organizing something like commanding several task force or system defense fleets in X sector with one click

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, could you elaborate?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to muncuss)
Post #: 276
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/25/2021 6:08:28 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: muncuss

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, could you elaborate?

I would think and probably also like a sub-fleet type organization if possible. Anyone who played Aurora 4x would know exactly what I talk about.

The general idea would be that a fleet could be built of several blocks of sub-fleet and you then can move them as one fleet or peel of a fleet with ease and later merge them again. Each sub-fleet could even be assigned different orders and stances within a fleet perhaps etc... probably many interesting mechanics that could come from it.

It also would be easier if fleets are then organized in sub-fleet section in the menu so they are listed in like a tree structure. At the top you see the fleet and then you can drill down and see the sub fleets. When you click the fleet you get to see all the ships assigned to the fleet but you also see each sub-fleet... if you select a specific sub-fleet you then see the ships in that sub-fleet.

In Aurora 4x you can actually build a more or less infinite number of sub fleets... but that game have both admin, fleet and sub-fleet elements and then admirals assigned to them individually. The Admin command then give military and/or logistical bonuses to its fleet elements based on range.

Post #: 277
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/26/2021 2:09:39 AM   
ElanaAhova_slith

Are you going to have a 'season pass' purchase option? Subscribing to get all the DLC and expansions pre paid and a discount?

Do as you would be done by.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 278
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/26/2021 2:22:39 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB
In Aurora 4x you can actually build a more or less infinite number of sub fleets... but that game have both admin, fleet and sub-fleet elements and then admirals assigned to them individually. The Admin command then give military and/or logistical bonuses to its fleet elements based on range.

Sorry, understood now but I haven't played Aurora and we do not plan to have sub-fleets, which does not mean you can't have smaller fleets, larger ones, fleets with various roles and admirals assigned where you want, it's just not the exact same system you described.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 279
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/26/2021 2:23:49 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElanaAhova_slith
Are you going to have a 'season pass' purchase option? Subscribing to get all the DLC and expansions pre paid and a discount?

Not sure, but I think it's unlikely, though we often have "collections" of sorts later on.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ElanaAhova_slith)
Post #: 280
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/26/2021 8:44:24 AM   
muncuss

quote:

Sorry, understood now but I haven't played Aurora and we do not plan to have sub-fleets, which does not mean you can't have smaller fleets, larger ones, fleets with various roles and admirals assigned where you want, it's just not the exact same system you described.

i'm reffering to Hearts of Iron series which there exist different command level, but that Aurora still good example. well if no sub-fleet guess i'll just wait to see if there is more variation of fleet role or more fleet setting

Post #: 281
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/26/2021 9:29:01 AM   
StormingKiwi

An Order of Battle feature would be amazing in Distant Worlds (with respect to the sub-fleet idea)

(in reply to muncuss)
Post #: 282
RE: DW2 FAQ? season pass purchase option? - 8/26/2021 2:24:49 PM   
ElanaAhova_slith

sorry - repeat -- answered above. Sorry.

< Message edited by ElanaAhova_slith -- 8/29/2021 11:26:11 PM >

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 283
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/27/2021 9:18:12 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

quote:

I understand that this late i development this would be allot to ask... but can we at least sort fleets by name so we can use a clever naming system to sort fleets by location, area of operation or similar things?

One of my major gripe with the way things worked in DW1 was that it was a horrible way to organise your fleets, task-force and squadrons and forced you to put them in just large fleets when you often wanted a bit more control but manage them in the interface was difficult and time consuming.

At a later date I would very much at least like to have some way to organise fleets and task-forces so they are easy to identify and manage that way. It does not need to have a mechanical impact on the game, just for ordering and structuring fleets and squadrons for the player.

Post #: 284
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/27/2021 8:58:55 PM   
ElanaAhova_slith

Question: My experience playing DW to DWU is that most of the time my home system doesn't even have the basic resources to to do much of anything. Hopefully, DW2 will have a better balanced distribution of resources in home systems. Is better balanced distribution implemented, or in the planning stages?

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 285
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/27/2021 11:57:04 PM   
elliotg

quote:

quote:

quote:

I understand that this late i development this would be allot to ask... but can we at least sort fleets by name so we can use a clever naming system to sort fleets by location, area of operation or similar things?

One of my major gripe with the way things worked in DW1 was that it was a horrible way to organise your fleets, task-force and squadrons and forced you to put them in just large fleets when you often wanted a bit more control but manage them in the interface was difficult and time consuming.

At a later date I would very much at least like to have some way to organise fleets and task-forces so they are easy to identify and manage that way. It does not need to have a mechanical impact on the game, just for ordering and structuring fleets and squadrons for the player.

Sorting options on the Fleet list currently includes:
- Strength, highest first
- Strength, lowest first
- Size, highest first
- Size, lowest first
- Troop Attack Strength
- Name

...and we can add more as needed :)

There are also defined fleet types: Main Attack fleets, Raiding fleets, Invasion fleets, Defense fleets.

There's also a number of other tactical options that control how fleets work. So in summary, there's a lot more control over fleets in DW2 that didn't exist in DW1.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 286
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/28/2021 12:00:10 AM   
elliotg

quote:

Question: My experience playing DW to DWU is that most of the time my home system doesn't even have the basic resources to to do much of anything. Hopefully, DW2 will have a better balanced distribution of resources in home systems. Is better balanced distribution implemented, or in the planning stages?

Yes, especially on the PreWarp start your home system has a guaranteed supply of the basic resources you need at the start of the game. There's been a lot of testing and balancing on resource prevalence and abundance. Resources are definitely more meaningful in DW2 - you need to ensure a good supply of them, especially for some of the high-demand resources.

(in reply to ElanaAhova_slith)
Post #: 287
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/28/2021 2:20:52 AM   
ElanaAhova_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

quote:

Yes, especially on the PreWarp start your home system has a guaranteed supply of the basic resources you need at the start of the game. There's been a lot of testing and balancing on resource prevalence and abundance. Resources are definitely more meaningful in DW2 - you need to ensure a good supply of them, especially for some of the high-demand resources.

Very glad to hear this. I hated using the editor to make the home system viable. YEA!

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 288
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/28/2021 3:11:40 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

quote:

We're certainly going to give it our best shot. I know of a lot of specific things the DW2 AI does much better than DW1, but the real question of whether it will give you a more competitive game remains to be seen.

I think a lot of it had to do with simply too much going on for a single thread to keep up with late game. Small maps with few empires typically ran fine but on the big maps with lots of empires you noticed the AI fleets would become confused and wander around or endlessly shift between a series of targets. This is also when you own AI seemed to start to pack it in too. I think much of it will be solved by allowing the game to leverage the power of modern multi core cpu.

Another question. How many cores will the game use if they are available and will it use logical cores in addition to the physical cores?

Post #: 289
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/28/2021 3:36:18 AM   
elliotg

quote:

Another question. How many cores will the game use if they are available and will it use logical cores in addition to the physical cores?

The simple answer is that DW2 will use all the CPU cores, including logical cores (e.g. hyper-threading).

The more complex answer is that it depends on what is happening in the game at the time. There is a natural ebb and flow with the game logic where the load is sometimes higher and sometimes lower. So DW2 will use additional threads/tasks as needed. The game is built to support multi-threading and key parts can be offloaded to other cores.

Post #: 290
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/28/2021 4:14:35 AM   
Galaxy227

Quick question! DLC-related.

Erik recently revealed there are new camera angles specifically catered to following individual ships around (similar to the lock function in DW:U). In addition, DW:U was often advertised as a simulation in which the player can control everything from an entire empire to single ships. To me, it's clear the idea of "role-playing" as an admiral, scout, or trader is at least feasible, if not encouraged.

Do you ever plan on expanding the controls of single ships? Perhaps implement a proper "ship mode?"

I'm thinking along the lines of an expanded UI, catered towards refining pre-existing mechanics for this supposed "ship mode." Say being able to pick up a mission as a merchant, running spice across the galaxy. Or be a ship captain within a fleet, perhaps with an interface that displays the current fleet order. Nothing too crazy, just a few QOL enhancements for the already-established mechanics in DW2. It'd be cool to be able to start a war as a leader, then play as a merchant within your empire and see how hectic things get for your average civilian trader.

...Or perhaps I'm reaching way too far, and DW will always remain focused on empire-wide gameplay. Just curious.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 8/29/2021 12:39:58 AM >

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 291
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/28/2021 7:12:29 PM   
arvcran2

quote:

Do you ever plan on expanding the controls of single ships? Perhaps implement a proper "ship mode?" (I'm thinking along the lines of expanded UI... maybe a few mechanics, say being able to pick up missions as a merchant, nothing too crazy). Or am I reaching too far, and DW will always remain focused on empire-wide control?

I like the concept, that would be interesting; also probably a massive multiplayer game mode could be built upon this concept as well! A fleet mode would also be quite interesting. These of course would only work for established games where wars and diplomatic affairs are already taken place. These could be derived from a pool of pre-saved games where scenarios are documented and folks choose a setting, empire, and ship or fleet to command, for a 40 minute session - that would probably be a 1 v 1 experience for a given participant except for the diplomacy and event notifications. (just a thought)

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 292
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/28/2021 9:46:16 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

quote:

The simple answer is that DW2 will use all the CPU cores, including logical cores (e.g. hyper-threading).

The more complex answer is that it depends on what is happening in the game at the time. There is a natural ebb and flow with the game logic where the load is sometimes higher and sometimes lower. So DW2 will use additional threads/tasks as needed. The game is built to support multi-threading and key parts can be offloaded to other cores.

That's cool.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 293
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/29/2021 1:09:17 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227
Quick question! DLC-related.

Erik recently revealed there are new camera angles specifically catered to following individual ships around (similar to the lock function in DW:U). In addition, DW:U was often advertised as a simulation in which the player can control everything from an entire empire to single ships. To me, it's clear the idea of "role-playing" as an admiral, scout, or trader is at least feasible, if not encouraged.

Do you ever plan on expanding the controls of single ships? Perhaps implement a proper "ship mode?"

I'm thinking along the lines of an expanded UI, catered towards refining pre-existing mechanics for this supposed "ship mode." Say being able to pick up a mission as a merchant, running spice across the galaxy. Or be a ship captain within a fleet, perhaps with an interface that displays the current fleet order. Nothing too crazy, just a few QOL enhancements for the already-established mechanics in DW2. It'd be cool to be able to start a war as a leader, then play as a merchant within your empire and see how hectic things get for your average civilian trader.

...Or perhaps I'm reaching way too far, and DW will always remain focused on empire-wide gameplay. Just curious.

Yes, some of the camera modes are from the view of a single ship or base. Those views can be very pretty and allow you to experience the game in a different way. We could certainly go further with this in the future - who knows... :)

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 294
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 9/6/2021 11:27:39 PM   
Galaxy227

Another question... I promise, no more!

When showing off the ship designer, there was a button called "Generate Scene Fleet vs Fleet." I'm sure this button was a development tool, and I assume it was for testing ship combat. Would you be willing to implement this feature into the base game, allowing players to test their designs against other ships? And if not (I understand how that could feel like cheating), would you ever consider releasing it as a tool for modders? Being able to quickly test ship builds could go a long way with helping modders balance their modded ship components.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 295
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 9/6/2021 11:51:56 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227
Another question... I promise, no more!

When showing off the ship designer, there was a button called "Generate Scene Fleet vs Fleet." I'm sure this button was a development tool, and I assume it was for testing ship combat. Would you be willing to implement this feature into the base game, allowing players to test their designs against other ships? And if not (I understand how that could feel like cheating), would you ever consider releasing it as a tool for modders? Being able to quickly test ship builds could go a long way with helping modders balance their modded ship components.

You're right, this is a development tool for us to test balance of various components and ship hulls in battle.

We had intended to remove this for release. But Erik and I have discussed this, noting that players might also find it useful.

The thing with this tool is that it generates the scene inside the game itself - there's no separate 'arena' for this test battle. This can actually be very handy if you also want to include lots of other elements in your test, because you can then also use the Game Editor to add other stuff.

So if we left it in, the player would have to understand that they are effectively 'polluting' their current game with this extra scene. I guess the process would be for the player to save their current game, generate the scene, do their testing, then reload their previous savegame to get back to their starting state.

Anyway, we'll see where we end up on this. I understand the desire to use it. The battles look pretty sweet too ;)

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 296
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 9/7/2021 12:38:08 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

So if we left it in, the player would have to understand that they are effectively 'polluting' their current game with this extra scene. I guess the process would be for the player to save their current game, generate the scene, do their testing, then reload their previous savegame to get back to their starting state.

Anyway, we'll see where we end up on this. I understand the desire to use it. The battles look pretty sweet too ;)

I would assume modders are already 'polluting' their game in their efforts to develop their mod. But for normal players this could also be useful to start up a small galaxy and play around with ship designs they can then save and use for a 'real' game.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 297
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 9/7/2021 2:26:18 AM   
Galaxy227

quote:

For normal players this could also be useful to start up a small galaxy and play around with ship designs they can then save and use for a 'real' game.

In addition, I'm just a huge nerd when it comes to designing ships in Distant Worlds. One of my favorite parts about the game is perfecting different designs for different roles & situations. I remember I had one war with another empire, and after the war was over, pretended to be a "historian" in the galaxy and talk about the effectiveness of each ship type on either side in the war (for example, "X ship was great for Y scenario, but when put up against Z, didn't do well"). I knew so much about each design in that war, of both my own ships and my enemy's, and to this day could tell you precisely the weaknesses and strengths of each navy...

Point being, I love playing around with fleets. I think a "sandbox mode" for ships could add so much to Distant Worlds. I could test out all sorts of different scenarios after wars in-game, and could also use it to learn more about ships in general. Also, as previously mentioned, it would be an extremely powerful tool for modders to have.

Rant over.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 9/7/2021 2:41:25 AM >

Post #: 298
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 9/7/2021 7:49:24 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

Sorting options on the Fleet list currently includes:
- Strength, highest first
- Strength, lowest first
- Size, highest first
- Size, lowest first
- Troop Attack Strength
- Name

...and we can add more as needed :)

There are also defined fleet types: Main Attack fleets, Raiding fleets, Invasion fleets, Defense fleets.

There's also a number of other tactical options that control how fleets work. So in summary, there's a lot more control over fleets in DW2 that didn't exist in DW1.

Great to hear... thanks!!

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 9/7/2021 7:55:23 AM >

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 299
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 9/7/2021 3:05:43 PM   
Hanekem

You know, it is a shame this is happening in game, because having a separate simulated battle could be useful, as a test for the design.
If you can create a virtual scenario to have that happen "elsewhere" it would be kinda awesome.

Think the old Space Empires series had something like that and I used it a lot

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI