Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: DW2 FAQ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 9/13/2021 9:42:01 AM   
RgZera

Hi, Erik

I have yet another question about modding. Does the game have a culture/religion mechanic?

I would like to create a custom race mostly focused on spreading their religion/culture (Ori from Stargate) that in return would boost their economy or even better, provide a unique resource that they can later use for "magic". In stellaris the closest thing to this is megacorporations with gospel of masses which basically makes it a megachurch. Sadly it does not have enough depth for my taste.

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 301
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 9/13/2021 11:34:51 AM   
muncuss

quote:

ORIGINAL: RgZera

Hi, Erik

I have yet another question about modding. Does the game have a culture/religion mechanic?

I would like to create a custom race mostly focused on spreading their religion/culture (Ori from Stargate) that in return would boost their economy or even better, provide a unique resource that they can later use for "magic". In stellaris the closest thing to this is megacorporations with gospel of masses which basically makes it a megachurch. Sadly it does not have enough depth for my taste.

like papal state in total war game, they can or cannot build fleet, but can direct order any faction within their influence. this would be good but i don't think this is in the game

(in reply to RgZera)
Post #: 302
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 9/14/2021 1:33:08 AM   
Galaxy227

AFAIK, DW2 will not be releasing with any cultural mechanics.

(in reply to RgZera)
Post #: 303
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 9/14/2021 3:24:13 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Yeah DW has always been more about military expansion and trade than complex diplomatic and cultural solutions. Plenty of other games which heavily feature diplomacy and other cultural mechanics to provide a complex realpolitik experience. Sadly most of them seem to be based in ancient times when the city state was the biggest political entity. One rts like scifi space game that does feature a somewhat complex diplomatic and cultural mechanic is sins of a solar empire. Still regularly patched and there are some incredible mods for it for star trek and star wars.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 304
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 10/3/2021 1:20:24 AM   
rmse17

Will there be an easy way to search for a named object in the UI? (IE search for a star name, or fleet name, or for a rare resource, which would search in the discovered area and center/bring the object into focus).

Apologies if this was already asked, I searched for "Search" and it showed 0 results.

< Message edited by rmse17 -- 10/3/2021 1:23:00 AM >

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 305
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 12/1/2021 5:09:06 PM   
fruitgnome

DW2 will make me so happy.

This would be a must have:
A system respawner
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=868694800

Then also an anomaly, event, race, pirate, crisis respawner and we can play one match forever.

I think off start on a middle map and then if performance is good add some new systems etc.

< Message edited by fruitgnome -- 12/1/2021 6:13:53 PM >

(in reply to RgZera)
Post #: 306
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 12/10/2021 12:43:25 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

For normal players this could also be useful to start up a small galaxy and play around with ship designs they can then save and use for a 'real' game.

In addition, I'm just a huge nerd when it comes to designing ships in Distant Worlds. One of my favorite parts about the game is perfecting different designs for different roles & situations. I remember I had one war with another empire, and after the war was over, pretended to be a "historian" in the galaxy and talk about the effectiveness of each ship type on either side in the war (for example, "X ship was great for Y scenario, but when put up against Z, didn't do well"). I knew so much about each design in that war, of both my own ships and my enemy's, and to this day could tell you precisely the weaknesses and strengths of each navy...

Point being, I love playing around with fleets. I think a "sandbox mode" for ships could add so much to Distant Worlds. I could test out all sorts of different scenarios after wars in-game, and could also use it to learn more about ships in general. Also, as previously mentioned, it would be an extremely powerful tool for modders to have.

Rant over.

I agree. I think we'd like to add something like this in the future (I guess it's like a ship design combat simulator mode), but it won't be in the initial release, though you'll have a lot of ship design and evaluation tools within the design screen.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 307
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 12/10/2021 12:47:35 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: RgZera

Not exactly, at least at this time. This type of thing is handled differently in Distant Worlds 2. First, each playable race has certain preferred government types and some that are also not allowed to be chosen. There is then a matrix of starting biases for relations based on which faction and government type you have chosen.

We do have the concepts of language, history, traditions and culture within the new diplomatic techs that can be researched to offset or remove those starting biases.

We also have the concept that your faction, through being succesful, happy and populous with plenty of space infrastructure, spreads its influence and puts pressure on the border systems around it, which may lead to them effectively switching to your control without a war (or you losing them to someone else without a fight).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to RgZera)
Post #: 308
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/19/2022 3:59:38 PM   
Mightymaster

Hi
I am eagerly awaiting this great game. I am wondering are there any information on the sountrack of the game? Will it be like in DW1 or different? Or like the trailer music (which is really nice btw). Thanks

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 309
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/20/2022 6:00:54 PM   
historysteve

Hey, I'm excited for this game and have been following the previews closely. One holdover from DW1 seems to be planet naming conventions, which is a small thing to be sure but nonetheless a bit of a bummer for me. Sorta takes me out of the game when an empire's homeworld is something like "Adare 3" rather than whatever they've been calling their homeworld since time immemorial. Are there empire planetary namelists, or are planet names customizable at all?

(in reply to Mightymaster)
Post #: 310
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/20/2022 6:08:35 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mightymaster
I am eagerly awaiting this great game. I am wondering are there any information on the sountrack of the game? Will it be like in DW1 or different? Or like the trailer music (which is really nice btw). Thanks

We worked with a composer on DW2 to create a completely original soundtrack.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 311
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/20/2022 6:09:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: historysteve
Hey, I'm excited for this game and have been following the previews closely. One holdover from DW1 seems to be planet naming conventions, which is a small thing to be sure but nonetheless a bit of a bummer for me. Sorta takes me out of the game when an empire's homeworld is something like "Adare 3" rather than whatever they've been calling their homeworld since time immemorial. Are there empire planetary namelists, or are planet names customizable at all?

Thank you for the interest in DW2. As in DW1, worlds can be re-named as the player chooses, so you can have a home planet named whatever you want it to be named. Just click on the name and type in a new one and the game will use it. DW2 also comes with an in-game Editor like DW1.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to historysteve)
Post #: 312
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/20/2022 6:12:47 PM   
historysteve

Great! Thanks - been a while since I played DW1 so I must be misremembering. Was excited before, even more excited now, can't wait to play!

Post #: 313
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/21/2022 12:50:29 PM   
Tank Commander_MatrixForum

When will pricing be announced?

With Release inside 7 weeks it seems strange no pricing has been confirmed for the various options

3 write-offs but still a Tank Commander

(in reply to historysteve)
Post #: 314
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/21/2022 9:15:45 PM   
Galaxy227

Don't pressure the team to reveal prices when they clearly aren't ready to. I promise, Tank Commander, you will know exactly how much our beloved DW2 costs in the coming weeks. For now, I'd argue it's safe to say a digital key for DW2 will put you back $60 USD. Physical copies & collector's will obviously cost more, and my intuition screams no less than $80.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 1/21/2022 9:16:25 PM >
Post #: 315
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/29/2022 3:14:51 PM   
Tank Commander_MatrixForum

This is the place to ask questions of the Developers.
I'm not applying any pressure, they either answer or they dont, not like I have them in an headlock lock

Most companies selling a product which releases in 6 weeks would confirm the price. They havent so Im asking the question

Your guesses at pricing at not helpful in any way

3 write-offs but still a Tank Commander

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 316
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/29/2022 7:13:54 PM   
Mtxhat

This would be much appreciated and leads to an immediate purchase.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: DWS360
Is DW2 going to be hard to be localized by modders? Is it XML-based?
I saw statements like "if it's not translated to my language, it's of no interest". Translations could be worth doing, I suppose. At least the most important ones, like Spanish, French and German.

We're trying to make sure that it's very moddable and localizable. Some of the beta testers have been localizing the game text during beta.

Post #: 317
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/29/2022 7:14:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tank Commander_MatrixForum
When will pricing be announced?

We'll be making pre-orders available in February, at which point pricing will be announced.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 318
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/29/2022 9:05:30 PM   
VoidLord

I wonder if its possible to abandon any world that is no longer desired, for example a useless conquered world or a lost colony if they still exist as such? whatever by evacuating the population or just leaving it independent?

< Message edited by VoidLord -- 1/29/2022 9:06:06 PM >

Post #: 319
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/30/2022 4:59:23 AM   
James80

Hey,

quote:

We'll be making pre-orders available in February, at which point pricing will be announced.

Regards,

- Erik

are there any pre order bonus? Like early access, e. g.?

Regards

James

Post #: 320
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/30/2022 10:10:00 PM   
Darkmater

quote:

ORIGINAL: James80

Hey,

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

are there any pre order bonus? Like early access, e. g.?

Regards

James

An art and concept art digital book would be awesome. I would imagine there is significant concept art as races and ships were evolved and ideated against especially with the move to 3d.

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 321
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 1/31/2022 2:36:16 PM   
Clux

It would be really cool if as a pre-order bonus we would get the OST, some wallpapers or an art digital book.

Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics!

(in reply to Darkmater)
Post #: 322
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2022 1:17:29 PM   
Mightymaster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Clux

It would be really cool if as a pre-order bonus we would get the OST, some wallpapers or an art digital book.

Normally I never preoder games but indeed the OST would be a great addition. However, during the streams it is hard to hear the music. Some streamers stated it is repetive after a while but someone also mentioned that not all tracks are added. Not sure.

(in reply to Clux)
Post #: 323
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2022 4:56:16 PM   
Allenthalben

Hello all, good day,
I am a German fan of DW and I just watched the German preview stream linked here in the forum.
The youtuber mentioned that there will be translation of the game in different languages...
Is this true?
Is this part of the official game or will it be a chance of modding?
Thanks!

Post #: 324
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/1/2022 11:53:08 PM   
zgrssd

You know despite having the word "Range" like 20+ times, there is no a single definition of how "Range" works that FAQ.

Eric was asked this in a recent DasTactic Screen and answered:
"It is measured in "game units", that are not based on any realworld figure."
"One quick quote on distances in the game: The average solar system is about 2.5 M in diameter. The distance between average solar systems is about 100M. The width of the average default galaxy is about 2,000 M"

With that you can already tell how meaningfull a "1 M" Range is. It is a significant part of a solar sytem.
While 1-5k is basically "Knive-Sword Range".

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/2/2022 12:20:17 AM >

(in reply to Allenthalben)
Post #: 325
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2022 5:01:10 AM   
James80

Hey,

I've looked several streams and I have a question. Next to the resources in the menu there is a price given. What purpose does it have? Do I have to pay for them? I thought that I payed the mining stations and the minded resources don't cost me anything then.

Regards

James

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 326
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2022 4:52:10 PM   
Arthanis

Haven't see any streamer mention it, but are there any types of station that can be built in deep space away from planets?

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 327
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2022 5:25:45 PM   
Webbco

In the Dev Diary #1, Erik talked about there being a "bridge view" camera angle on individual ships. I haven't seen this on the previee streams (yet!) but is this definitely a feature?

(in reply to Arthanis)
Post #: 328
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2022 5:44:32 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

In the Dev Diary #1, Erik talked about there being a "bridge view" camera angle on individual ships. I haven't seen this on the previee streams (yet!) but is this definitely a feature?

DasTactic showed it off a few times. It is basically a view from the ships exact position. No actually Birdge Interior or controls and the UI is the same as on the strategic map.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 329
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2022 8:57:31 AM   
Sheridan1969

Hello,

Can scout ships and other ships use multiple waypoints on their way?

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI