Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: DW2 FAQ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2021 1:30:40 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miskatonic81
My apologies if this has already been asked, but I didn't see it on the main post. With tech being condensed into one tech tree, does this mean we will only research one tech at a time instead of three at a time like in DW1, and research is essentially 66% slower as a result? Also does this mean that the research lab component from DW1 is no longer split into military research lab, economic, etc?

A lot has changed with research. You have one big tech tree, but it has all the stuff that was in DW1 and more. In addition, it can be played in a way that the paths are not always the same and that you don't see the entire tech tree from the start. You may not even get all the projects each time, though of course what you can't research, you could always try to trade for, steal through espionage or reverse engineer through salvage or exploration.

In addition, your ability to research multiple concurrent projects still exists, but you only get access to more concurrency as you expand your research stations and capacity.

There is a single research lab component now. However, there are also research bonuses across more categories and those bonuses can also allow you to overcome threshholds that lead to higher level techs, which makes your research locations more strategically important not only for research speed but for actually accessing higher tech levels at all. Finding the right research locations and exploiting and defending them is more important.

In addition, there are initiation costs in credits and resources for each project, related to the type of tech being researched, that make it more costly to try to "beeline" up the tree (assuming you have the necessary threshhold bonuses to unlock the higher techs).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Miskatonic81)
Post #: 91
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2021 3:33:37 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

reverse engineer through salvage or exploration.

Interesting. Is this going to be the old mechanic of a scout ship discovery or advanced ship retirement where you get a research project bonus or will it yield specific results like a tech you can't normally use like a racial tech?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 92
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2021 7:29:25 AM   
Perry_Rhodan

It seems nice, original and smart. Not just fawning over here

First, having a semi-random research tree is really adding up to replayability, it is boring to have all your games start the same way otherwise. Second this threshold necessary to unlock certain tech gives a quality flavor to research site, and is far superior to the DW1 model where only the top one or so was of interest.

Follow up questions, how many racial techs exist on average per race? 1-2? More? This also gives more replayability.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 93
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2021 8:08:55 AM   
Sild

quote:

A lot has changed with research. You have one big tech tree, but it has all the stuff that was in DW1 and more.

Great to hear!

quote:

In addition, there are initiation costs in credits and resources for each project, related to the type of tech being researched, that make it more costly to try to "beeline" up the tree (assuming you have the necessary threshhold bonuses to unlock the higher techs).

I see. Though i wasn't particularly successful at it, sometimes the proverbial stars aligned (Ancient Way gov, pretty much) and beelining up the tree was pretty fun so i hope it's still possible somewhat. I mean, that reads like it is but just wanted to mention it.

< Message edited by Sild -- 2/2/2021 8:10:47 AM >

Post #: 94
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2021 9:50:55 AM   
Hyperion1

Random technologies trees but also random prerequisites can be funny !

Imaging if when you just unlocked the thruster technology you see in the following research another path for increase missiles speed and precision, this path shared with the missile path.

Or the next game you see in the following of the thruster technology a path with ground scuds launcher for make new ground vehicles.

Also technologies trees could be random for every empires, in the same game not only every new games.

(in reply to Sild)
Post #: 95
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2021 10:18:00 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miskatonic81

My apologies if this has already been asked, but I didn't see it on the main post. With tech being condensed into one tech tree, does this mean we will only research one tech at a time instead of three at a time like in DW1, and research is essentially 66% slower as a result? Also does this mean that the research lab component from DW1 is no longer split into military research lab, economic, etc?

I absolutely cannot wait for DW2 it looks amazing, I'm still partially in disbelief that it's actually coming out. :D

As I understand it:
- There are still categories
- Research bonuses now apply to a specific category
- to unlock higher techs in any group, you need a certain "minimum bonus"

I would not asume research is 1/3 the speed. Not if you cut the costs by 1/3, increase the production by 1/3 or just focus all 3 areas production into 1.

Edit: Sorry, did not see the page of replies since that post.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 2/2/2021 11:19:56 AM >

(in reply to Miskatonic81)
Post #: 96
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2021 8:22:20 PM   
kratt81

Hi Erik, I am a huge and long term fan of your game and I am so exicted for DW2, here are some things I really like about the game and a list of recommendations or things that I think can be improved on for DW2

Things I like
- I especially like the deep ship builder system where each component does different things and you have to make tactical tradeoffs when constructing ships, i wish to see more of this in DW2

- I really like the population system where planet and colony populations are represented by actual large numbers like 500 million, 2.61 billion, 3.34 billion, etc, this aspect really adds to the games immersion as it feels like you are overseeing an actual planet with tangible, concrete numbers compared to other games like stellaris where populations are represented by abstract numbers like 6 or 7 pops. This is a major reason why I still prefer and love this game over other newer 4x games.

- I REALLY like the whole private and public sector aspect of the game, especially seeing civilian ships flying to planet to planet, doing their own thing, it REALLY adds to the games immersion as you honestly feel like your playing in and experiencing a living breathing universe as your empire, this is such a huge reason why I think your game attracts so much fans

- The colonization tab is extremely well made and thought out and really makes colonization a straightforward and easy process,

Things to improve or recommendation

1. Will DW2 have military/army only drag? or an option to toggle that? Often times, I have to drag select my ships to send them off somewhere or to battle but when I do that, my non-military ships like construction ships also get selected. This makes it a tedious pain to individually select them and send them away, a lot of rts and 4x games have a army only drag so I would recommend that

2. In DWU, ships operate on fuel and they have to refuel which I really like and feels immersive and realistic and adds another tactical level, however, when a fleet is heading somewhere and one of the ships runs out of gas, the entire fleet will slow to a crawl and move at the same speed as the out of fuel ship, this is very frustrating, especially when you are trying to send ships to battle or to another planet, the only thing I can do is individually select those ships and send them back or just out of annoyance and its easier than selecting and sending them back, I just delete the ships from my fleet, now if its just one ship in a large fleet, then that's tolerable, but when its like 25 ships I have to manually select and send back, it becomes a annoying tedious chore and really ruins the gaming experience, if in DW2, there is a efficient and effective method to redirect or select those out of fuel ships to go refuel without making it a manually intensive chore, that would be awesome

3. Similar to point 3, loading troops into transport ships is a pain and tedious and manually intensive, while unloading is pretty straightforward, (although I think a option to decide how many of those troops we want to unload would be nice), after the invasion, loading those troops back onto the transports is a pain and not efficient and requires tedious micro as it just says "Load troops at this planet" rather than give more efficient options to load large numbers of troops effectively onto many transports

4. DWU Research/Tech tree is very meh and bland and uninspired, it leaves much to be desired, I would recommend making research a much more immersive experience with better tech tree design in DW2

5. I would highly recommend creating a map that has our solar system when playing as humans, while I do like the setting and story of the DWU, I also really like to rp as humanity from earth slowly expanding and conquering through the stars, it makes the experience much more personable and easier to rp when we are exploring and expanding from our own solar system rather than one we are not really familiar or connected to

6. Deeper govt features and more govt types, more interesting rebellion and unrest mechanics, rival parties, etc

7. I think troop ground invasions could be made more immersive and interesting, whether that be more tactical options, varied ground troop types, orbital bombardments, as well as more immersive ground invasion battlefield visuals,

8. pirates often feel more annoying than challenging and could use some improvement

9. Economy could be made more interesting and engaging as often times, the numbers I see in revenue I can't correlate or connect with anything, I just accept it and only care that it goes up but I dont know what is driving it and how I can tweak and improve it, I think this can be improved by making detailed economy sheets that show exactly what your revenue is coming from and what the expenses are and how the markets/trade is affecting it

10. While this game obviously isn't the prettiest game (which I have no issue with as I always believe gameplay > graphics), I think maybe for DW2, when clicking on a planet, we can see a more aesthetically pleasing picture, either of the cityscape or environment of the planet or the planet itself,

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 97
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2021 9:11:42 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

I have a probably easy question to answer about hyper drives. The new system makes it so that each drive only are able to jump a specific distance. Now... my question is what differs a ship from jumping the entire way to a destination rather than making multiple short jumps? I assume that we can basically end and start a jump at any point and we are not limited to systems.

In a hypothetical example...

What are the differences between jumping the full distance to a specific point in one go from doing it in three jumps if we assume that both ships have the same speed and fuel effciency?

Are there anything in particular except perhaps forcing to stop in some bad terrain that will impact the total trip in time? Obviously jumping three times rather then one will take more time as you have to slow down and then jump again two times extra.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 2/2/2021 9:13:08 PM >

(in reply to kratt81)
Post #: 98
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2021 10:17:48 PM   
hvger

Will there be a relation between war weariness and the actual amount of losses? I tend to think this could influence strategies and tactics in interesting ways, both to avoid war fatigue and to induce it in opponents.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 99
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/2/2021 11:59:37 PM   
Galaxy227

quote:

ORIGINAL: hvger

Will there be a relation between war weariness and the actual amount of losses? I tend to think this could influence strategies and tactics in interesting ways, both to avoid war fatigue and to induce it in opponents.

Dropping in to +1

Stellaris accumulates war weariness based on not only the amount of time spent in war, but also losses in battles, loss of planets, and even the accomplishment of various war goals. I believe DW1 only factors in time for war weariness (though I could be wrong, it isn't always clear what exactly effects game mechanics in DW1). I strongly oppose time as the sole factor in measuring war weariness, and would greatly appreciate if somehow losses were also accounted for.

I imagine what would work best is an equation that calculates the value of war weariness based on the quantity of ship, base, army, colony, and even certain character losses—all proportional to the total size of an empire. Proportional calculations would, for instance, measure a capital ship loss as far more devastating to an economically-weak empire's war weariness than a stronger one.

Perhaps this is all too much work, though one can dream...

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 2/3/2021 12:07:39 AM >

(in reply to hvger)
Post #: 100
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 12:04:33 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

DWU has that so I assume it will continue in DW2. In the Bacon Mod I added the feature that war weariness would not magically disappear after you declare peace. Instead it would erode gradually over time while you were at peace. People remember their dead in the Bacon mod. I'd like to see that feature in DW2.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to hvger)
Post #: 101
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 1:20:01 AM   
Drumline2

Ooo interesting research items I didnt realize were changed. I really like there being a money sink into research now so you really need a strong economy to support your research projects.

If you need research stations to have certain bonuses to get access to researching later techs, is it possible to lose techs if those stations/bonuses are destroyed?

Post #: 102
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 2:20:38 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

reverse engineer through salvage or exploration.

Interesting. Is this going to be the old mechanic of a scout ship discovery or advanced ship retirement where you get a research project bonus or will it yield specific results like a tech you can't normally use like a racial tech?

Can be both, or since destroyed ships leave behind salvage now, that can also help, or capturing an enemy ship with a tech you don't have and disassembling it. Yes, you can even get otherwise faction-exclusive techs this way.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 103
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 2:21:35 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perry_Rhodan
Follow up questions, how many racial techs exist on average per race? 1-2? More? This also gives more replayability.

In DW1, it was never really more than 1 per faction. In DW2, each faction has one primary exclusive tech with the biggest bonus compared to the base techs and two secondary exclusive techs.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Perry_Rhodan)
Post #: 104
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 2:22:01 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sild
I see. Though i wasn't particularly successful at it, sometimes the proverbial stars aligned (Ancient Way gov, pretty much) and beelining up the tree was pretty fun so i hope it's still possible somewhat. I mean, that reads like it is but just wanted to mention it.

Still quite possible, but requires more investment and research focus.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Sild)
Post #: 105
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 2:30:58 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: kratt81
Hi Erik, I am a huge and long term fan of your game and I am so exicted for DW2, here are some things I really like about the game and a list of recommendations or things that I think can be improved on for DW2

Thank you.

quote:

1. Will DW2 have military/army only drag? or an option to toggle that? Often times, I have to drag select my ships to send them off somewhere or to battle but when I do that, my non-military ships like construction ships also get selected. This makes it a tedious pain to individually select them and send them away, a lot of rts and 4x games have a army only drag so I would recommend that

Since the armies are not on the "map" you don't drag to select them. However, there is no longer just the concept of a particular troop unit. You now have army templates and you can assign an entire army to a fleet or planet, for example, instead of having to move individual troops there.

quote:

2. In DWU, ships operate on fuel and they have to refuel which I really like and feels immersive and realistic and adds another tactical level, however, when a fleet is heading somewhere and one of the ships runs out of gas, the entire fleet will slow to a crawl and move at the same speed as the out of fuel ship, this is very frustrating, especially when you are trying to send ships to battle or to another planet, the only thing I can do is individually select those ships and send them back or just out of annoyance and its easier than selecting and sending them back, I just delete the ships from my fleet, now if its just one ship in a large fleet, then that's tolerable, but when its like 25 ships I have to manually select and send back, it becomes a annoying tedious chore and really ruins the gaming experience, if in DW2, there is a efficient and effective method to redirect or select those out of fuel ships to go refuel without making it a manually intensive chore, that would be awesome

I have not seen this in DW2. We're still working on the AI in many areas, but I certainly hope the management of fleets and how they handle repair/refuel/retrofit will be improved from DW1.

quote:

3. Similar to point 3, loading troops into transport ships is a pain and tedious and manually intensive, while unloading is pretty straightforward, (although I think a option to decide how many of those troops we want to unload would be nice), after the invasion, loading those troops back onto the transports is a pain and not efficient and requires tedious micro as it just says "Load troops at this planet" rather than give more efficient options to load large numbers of troops effectively onto many transports

Armies. :-)

quote:

4. DWU Research/Tech tree is very meh and bland and uninspired, it leaves much to be desired, I would recommend making research a much more immersive experience with better tech tree design in DW2

Well, I think the research tree in DW2 is better than in DW1, but it's also similar in concept, so if you didn't like the DW1 research tree at all I'm not sure how much you'll like the DW2 one. Have a look above for some more information on how research has changed as there are many other changes to consider in this area.

quote:

5. I would highly recommend creating a map that has our solar system when playing as humans, while I do like the setting and story of the DWU, I also really like to rp as humanity from earth slowly expanding and conquering through the stars, it makes the experience much more personable and easier to rp when we are exploring and expanding from our own solar system rather than one we are not really familiar or connected to

Not going to be the default initial release, but I've seen the request and I'm sure we'll add in something like this eventually. You can use the in-game editor in the editor to customize your starting solar system.

quote:

6. Deeper govt features and more govt types, more interesting rebellion and unrest mechanics, rival parties, etc

The governments are a bit more interesting and balanced IMHO. Rebellion and unrest happens a bit more realistically. There are no rival internal political parties, you are assumed to be playing whoever is in charge at the moment at any given time.

quote:

7. I think troop ground invasions could be made more immersive and interesting, whether that be more tactical options, varied ground troop types, orbital bombardments, as well as more immersive ground invasion battlefield visuals,

They could and while we've improved the ground combat mechanics compared to DW1, a sub-system that improves combat visuals and/or adds a layer of additional control over ground combat is not something that will be in the initial release.

quote:

8. pirates often feel more annoying than challenging and could use some improvement

Well, they don't like you either. Pirates will be an improved version of the original DW1 pirates at release, rather than the fully expanded Shadows pirates. They are mainly an early game threat to overcome at this stage of development as they were originally. I'm sure we'll build on that over time.

quote:

9. Economy could be made more interesting and engaging as often times, the numbers I see in revenue I can't correlate or connect with anything, I just accept it and only care that it goes up but I dont know what is driving it and how I can tweak and improve it, I think this can be improved by making detailed economy sheets that show exactly what your revenue is coming from and what the expenses are and how the markets/trade is affecting it

The entire state and private economy is IMHO much more transparent in DW2 and that goes hand in hand with many of the interface improvements.

quote:

10. While this game obviously isn't the prettiest game (which I have no issue with as I always believe gameplay > graphics), I think maybe for DW2, when clicking on a planet, we can see a more aesthetically pleasing picture, either of the cityscape or environment of the planet or the planet itself,

Have you already looked at the videos? Hopefully you like the new graphics.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to kratt81)
Post #: 106
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 2:33:40 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB
I have a probably easy question to answer about hyper drives. The new system makes it so that each drive only are able to jump a specific distance. Now... my question is what differs a ship from jumping the entire way to a destination rather than making multiple short jumps? I assume that we can basically end and start a jump at any point and we are not limited to systems.

In a hypothetical example...

What are the differences between jumping the full distance to a specific point in one go from doing it in three jumps if we assume that both ships have the same speed and fuel effciency?

Are there anything in particular except perhaps forcing to stop in some bad terrain that will impact the total trip in time? Obviously jumping three times rather then one will take more time as you have to slow down and then jump again two times extra.

When you reach the maximum distance for a jump, you have to stop and wait for your hyperdrives to cool down and recharge. You then go through a new hyperjump initiation and continue your journey. In effect, it both delays you and makes you briefly vulnerable in "realspace" for an interception or have to deal with any threats in the system if you stopped there vs. in deep space. On the plus side, you could also refuel between jumps if you have a fuel source nearby, but typically you will not need to do so on the way to a destination within 50% of your maximum travel distance. If your only stopping point is in a bad nebula, for example, you could also possibly take some damage while recharging.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 107
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 2:35:42 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

We haven't spoken much about this because this system is still in development, but there is a new system under the hood for keeping track of how a war is going and there are come effects now between your losses and your war weariness. Time is still a factor with war weariness as well, perhaps the only one that might bring a war to an end if you are on the losing side. However, certain faction/government combinations, such as say a Mortalen Military Dictatorship, have some remarkable bonuses towards reducing war weariness and can fight on much longer without penalties than say a Teekan Mercantile Guild.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to hvger)
Post #: 108
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 3:23:05 AM   
Cauldyth

Sorry if this has been answered already, but it's been a firehose of information lately, and it can be hard to keep up!

In DW1, "war" was just a different state of relations between two empires. It could lead to strange behaviours like an ally of yours agreeing to go to war to defend you against an aggressor, but then quickly negotiating a separate peace with the enemy and dropping out of the war, without any consequences.

One thing Paradox games have done really well, IMO, is to have wars be actual "things", rather than be just relationships. This avoided the situation above, and also allowed for more complex war resolutions, etc.

How will DW2 handle war?

Post #: 109
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 4:56:10 AM   
Galaxy227

quote:

When you reach the maximum distance for a jump, you have to stop and wait for your hyperdrives to cool down and recharge. You then go through a new hyperjump initiation and continue your journey. In effect, it both delays you and makes you briefly vulnerable in "realspace" for an interception or have to deal with any threats in the system if you stopped there vs. in deep space. On the plus side, you could also refuel between jumps if you have a fuel source nearby, but typically you will not need to do so on the way to a destination within 50% of your maximum travel distance. If your only stopping point is in a bad nebula, for example, you could also possibly take some damage while recharging.

Absolutely love this change, seriously fantastic. Well done.

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 2/3/2021 5:00:44 AM >

Post #: 110
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 6:56:27 AM   
Perry_Rhodan

So I guess there is some kind of UI feedback when you plan a long distance move, like seeing the legs of your trip in different colors? Or having a graphic symbol in between each leg?

This seems very cool in any case.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 111
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 7:00:52 AM   
Perry_Rhodan

Seems a post of mine was not (posted!)

I'm wondering if Colonization in DW2 is akin to a wild 'grab the land' run or is more sedate? I would not like to expand like crazy just to prevent the AI from colonizing nearby me. This plagued Civilization in its early days, this was called 'Infinite City Sprawl' and now the game is smarter about that, with quality over quantity (also you can look at Endless Legend / Humankind 'regions', and Age of Wonders Planetfall approach to this issue).

Bottom line, the trend is about having mechanisms more about judicious placements and less about spamming colonies.

How DW2 is positioned on that?

Also, on the realism side of thing (but who cares? ), a new colony should not be profitable and produce a cruiser within 2 years of its colonization!

< Message edited by Perry_Rhodan -- 2/3/2021 7:01:56 AM >

Post #: 112
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 8:08:56 AM   
Whiskiz

Your post did go through and Eric answered, check page 3 the one before this.

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 2/3/2021 8:09:26 AM >

Post #: 113
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 10:44:12 AM   
Dagfinn

Hi
Iv tried to search and not found the answer, so Ill try a very basic question:

Is the Galaxy Map 2D or 3D?

db

In our darkest hours all the shades are gray

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 114
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 7:09:43 PM   
zgrssd

I remembered a few questsions I wanted to ask:
1. With the Skip Drive being a much earlier technology, do you plan to expand on the content/descisions to do when all you got is the skip drive? Splitting the game into Pre-FTL, Skip Drive, Proper Interstellar FTL?
2. In DW1 we had to find the idea for Warpdrive theory in Ruins. Before that, we could not even start research. And given the limitation to STL travel, it could take consider able time for the Exploration ships to actually get to the ruins, wich could break a empires ability to go for the Stars. Will that still be the case? Will we only need this unlock to progress past skip drive?
3. As I understand it, prior to the spaceport being built the Colony can act as ship producer - albeit slower and only 1 Project at a time.
Will they become fully interchangeable once the Spaceport is there, meaning that the space port can do stuff like creation and Upgrades of Colony/Construction ships? Having the one Yard Bottleneck - in particular with a Colonyship needing years to build - was always a big issue with DW1.
4.Will a planet without Spaceport be able to build, repair and retrotfit combat ships (albeit slowly)? Or will it be limited to the Stations+Civil ships?
5.Will planets ever get additional Yards, say with high population?
6. What about a slighly "accelerated" Pre-interstellar start? Something where we start with the initial spaceport, initial Ships and Skip Drive unlocked/installed, so we can skip the pretty boring phase of waiting for the spaceport? Or is that phase less boring now?

(in reply to Dagfinn)
Post #: 115
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/3/2021 9:26:34 PM   
hvger

quote:

quote:

We haven't spoken much about this because this system is still in development, but there is a new system under the hood for keeping track of how a war is going and there are come effects now between your losses and your war weariness. Time is still a factor with war weariness as well, perhaps the only one that might bring a war to an end if you are on the losing side. However, certain faction/government combinations, such as say a Mortalen Military Dictatorship, have some remarkable bonuses towards reducing war weariness and can fight on much longer without penalties than say a Teekan Mercantile Guild.

Regards,

- Erik

Very cool. This is even more than I hoped for!
I also like RogerBacons idea.

Post #: 116
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/4/2021 12:48:51 AM   
Katarkus87

Thanks for your effort Miletkir and Erik Rutkins for answering. Here i have some Questions out of my Head.

- While in Combat, will it be possible to ram enemy Ships? (f.E Player orders outgunned Frigate, to ram the enemy Battleship or Station of some sort.)

from Major Improvements and changes from Distant Worlds: Universe
quote:

More fine-grained exploration, including sensors that in the early game can’t fully cover the width of a system. Ships may be visible but not identifiable.
-Is it possible to hide Ships from enemy Radars behind large Celestial Objects?(f.E Gas Giant - like in the upcoming 4X Game Falling Frontier)

- Will Ships take damage when they are to close to a Star? (They didnt in DWU)

- Can we build Stations on larger Asteroids instead of just mining them with Ships? (f.E In the TV-Series The Expanse, Ceres has a permanent Population who mines the Ressources. Maybe higher Mining Rate that way?)

- Are you considering adding Ground Troops Techs in future Expansions? (f.E Better Stormrifles for Infantry or better Armor for Tank Divisions)

- In the Bacon Mod, Shipcrews can gain Experience. Are there any Plans to integrate this Mechanic?

- Is there a possibility that some Colonies can revolt against Player/AI because of Government Type? (f.E Colony X wants to brake off from Mortalen Dictatorship because they want Democracy.)

- Can heavy battered Ships be recovered by Construction Ships after a battle like in DWU? If yes, are they getting any malus from that? (f.E defective Radars: -20% on Weapons accuracy)

- Can we rob Cargo from Freighters that belongs to Empires we are at War with, rather then just destroying them? (like the German Navy did in World War I and a reason to add Cargo Bays to Warships )

- Can we order Spies to abduct Scientists from other Empires to hinder their Research progress? (abducting enemy characters was possible in Star Wars Rebellion)

- in DWU there was a limit in the Editor for Celestial Objects we could place in a Solar System. Is it still the same?

< Message edited by Katarkus87 -- 2/4/2021 12:49:31 AM >

(in reply to hvger)
Post #: 117
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/4/2021 1:53:45 AM   
kratt81

Hi, thanks for the reply Erik, your presence on the forum and your enthusiasm for your game is a great sign that the game will be wonderful, just a couple of clarifications regarding your responses

1. For the first point, when I said army/military only drag, i was referring to the military ships, not the ground armies which I know are assigned to a planet. In DWU which I am playing right now, when I drag-select my military ships like frigates and destroyers, if non-military ships like construction ships and exploration ships are in that drag-select, they will also be included and sent to where I am sending my military ships, usually to battle. In a lot of other RTS and 4X games, the drag-select is usually default or at the very least, is toggleable in the options menu. Including this will help reduce micro-bloat as currently, I have to constantly individually remove them from my drag-select which is often hard to do as I sometimes, I cant tell their non-military ships by the pictures.

2. In regards to the fuel issue, what I meant was that (after testing as well) lets say in a fleet of 20 ships, 5 of them run out of fuel while the other 15 still have half fuel, what happens is that the other 15 ships move at their full speed while the other 5 ships in the fleet that have no fuel move at a reduced speed which makes sense and is realistic, my issue is that lets say I want to continue sending those 15 ships to where they are going and those 5 ships to the nearest refueling station, I don't have that option and I have to manually select all those fuel empty ships and send them to a refueling station, when it comes to micro, this feels extremely inefficient and I feel that a option like "refuel all EMPTY fuel ships" would make gameplay a lot better and reduce micro-bloat rather than the current only option of "refuel ALL ships" which will send all the ships to a refueling station when I only wanted to send the completely fuel empty ships to refuel.

3. Continuing from that, another quality of life improvement I think would be to allow ctrl alt selecting, as currently in DWU, if I want to select certain ships from a group of 20 ships, i.e. the 5 fuel empty ships so I can specifically select those to send to refuel, I cannot do that. That is because after i drag select or select the fleet, if I try to click one of the ships, it will send me directly to that ship and exit out of the multiple ship fleet view on the bottom left of the screen, I think that including the option to ctrl select so when you do that, the screen doesnt change to that specific ship and you can continue selecting ships so that you select the ones you want (ex. empty fuel ships) will make this game much better and reduce micro-bloat, a lot of RTS games and other 4X games have that function of ctrl selecting so that fleet management is a lot easier, thank you.

Post #: 118
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/4/2021 8:47:28 AM   
EmperorKirk

Hey Eric, thank you so much for answering all our questions, but I have a few questions about troop numbers and war.
One thing I loved in DW1 was that troop numbers where believable like you needed between 150k-500k to take small to medium planets, if you wanted to take high population colonies or a homeworld you need between 1m-5m troops. These numbers are a hell of a lot better than other 4x, where example in Galciv2 you took billions of your people from a planet forced them on a troop transport and attacked an enemy world which is very silly, or like Stellaris where it does not tell you numbers at all. So, my questions are will troop numbers be as believable as in DW1 and will be able to see casualties after a battle?

Also, will war be as free as in DW1, I hate the restrictive and timed wars in Stellaris?( one of the reasons I don't play it much, even compared to other paradox games it's a bad war system) Don't misunderstand me I still want warexhaustion, angry populations and possibly rebellions if I push my people to far, but I hate when wars just end due to random ticking down time that I have no control over, wars should end when either I choose to start peace talks or when the enemy does( which means you could also have very limited wars which was very cool). The one thing hope is not the same is how much you could abuse war and diplomacy when talking to other races, like you could keep sending and breaking treaties( getting loads of techs or get out of wars), there should be some cooldowns on some diplomatic actions.

(in reply to kratt81)
Post #: 119
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/4/2021 10:03:10 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

- Can we build Stations on larger Asteroids instead of just mining them with Ships? (f.E In the TV-Series The Expanse, Ceres has a permanent Population who mines the Ressources. Maybe higher Mining Rate that way?)

You could already do that in DWU.

Most of the asteroids were "duds" as far as resources are concerned, but the other ones were automatically build on. Never tried manual targetting, as there are too many and they are to small.

quote:

- Can heavy battered Ships be recovered by Construction Ships after a battle like in DWU? If yes, are they getting any malus from that? (f.E defective Radars: -20% on Weapons accuracy)

I guess you mean something like Star Sectors "Lasting Damage"?
Or more like Star Trek Onlines "Wounds" you get from death in high difficulty, but wich can be removed?

It did not make sense for DWU.
And it only makes sense in Star Sector, because the Industrial base in said sector is to bad to actually build or repair those ships in a proper shipyard.

quote:

- Can we rob Cargo from Freighters that belongs to Empires we are at War with, rather then just destroying them? (like the German Navy did in World War I and a reason to add Cargo Bays to Warships )

Just board them. You got the Cargo and a free Freighter (Germany could not do it, as they were under Blockade basically the entire war so no new ships matered).

quote:

- in DWU there was a limit in the Editor for Celestial Objects we could place in a Solar System. Is it still the same?

Given that it is a completely new 64 bit, multithreaded engine and planets no longer move?
I would guess the limit is now closer to one of hte Integer Max values.

quote:

1. For the first point, when I said army/military only drag, i was referring to the military ships, not the ground armies which I know are assigned to a planet. In DWU which I am playing right now, when I drag-select my military ships like frigates and destroyers, if non-military ships like construction ships and exploration ships are in that drag-select, they will also be included and sent to where I am sending my military ships, usually to battle. In a lot of other RTS and 4X games, the drag-select is usually default or at the very least, is toggleable in the options menu. Including this will help reduce micro-bloat as currently, I have to constantly individually remove them from my drag-select which is often hard to do as I sometimes, I cant tell their non-military ships by the pictures.

I think what you mean is "automatic exclusion of Civilians" in drag select, if at least one Military unit is in the box.

FYI, if you just organized those ships into a fleet you can add to the Fleet. And the use the good old "Save Grouping under Number" thing, we had since early C&C days

(in reply to Katarkus87)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI