Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: DW2 FAQ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/4/2021 10:17:24 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

I remembered a few questsions I wanted to ask:
1. With the Skip Drive being a much earlier technology, do you plan to expand on the content/descisions to do when all you got is the skip drive? Splitting the game into Pre-FTL, Skip Drive, Proper Interstellar FTL?
2. In DW1 we had to find the idea for Warpdrive theory in Ruins. Before that, we could not even start research. And given the limitation to STL travel, it could take consider able time for the Exploration ships to actually get to the ruins, wich could break a empires ability to go for the Stars. Will that still be the case? Will we only need this unlock to progress past skip drive?
3. As I understand it, prior to the spaceport being built the Colony can act as ship producer - albeit slower and only 1 Project at a time.
Will they become fully interchangeable once the Spaceport is there, meaning that the space port can do stuff like creation and Upgrades of Colony/Construction ships? Having the one Yard Bottleneck - in particular with a Colonyship needing years to build - was always a big issue with DW1.
4.Will a planet without Spaceport be able to build, repair and retrotfit combat ships (albeit slowly)? Or will it be limited to the Stations+Civil ships?
5.Will planets ever get additional Yards, say with high population?
6. What about a slighly "accelerated" Pre-interstellar start? Something where we start with the initial spaceport, initial Ships and Skip Drive unlocked/installed, so we can skip the pretty boring phase of waiting for the spaceport? Or is that phase less boring now?

Continuiation:
7. Will there be fuel tankers or towing ships?
The Fuel Ship could fix the question/issue 2 from kratt81.
While a towing ship would be additionally usefull to grab derelicts or ships with disabeled hyperdrives, to move them to a port.
8. Will the civil economy be smart enough to scrap/mothball unprofitable operations, like idle freighters?
9. Will the Civil economy be able to use their own funds/construction ships to add to the space mining infrastructure?
10. Can I build or charter a freighter for specific deliveries (I do not care what brings more profit, that base needs caslon. And it needs Caslon there now!). Of course the old "Smuggler Bounty" system works as well.
11. What about drafting transporters to turn into military ships? While they historically made terrible combat vessels, they can still carry military cargo. And the carrier role is the one transports can be good in.
12. What about a Convoy System? Q-Ships(Armed transports)?
13. Will we get a Indicator for "enemy ships in that system"? What about a "last I had sensor contact, there were enemies there"?
14. Given that stops will actually mater in DW2, is there a way to declare specific Systems "off limits" for automatic pathfinding?

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 121
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/4/2021 3:01:20 PM   
Miletkir

Man, slow down, I'll be spending nights on this FAQ

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 122
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/4/2021 5:10:41 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miletkir

Man, slow down, I'll be spending nights on this FAQ

Well, if I am the only one to ever ask, that does remove the Frequently out of FAQ, doesn't it?

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 123
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/4/2021 8:13:44 PM   
Miletkir

Point taken, though so far it's been more of an All Asked Questions.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 124
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/4/2021 9:41:20 PM   
zgrssd

And a few more. Sorry, I just can not help myself.

quote:

quote:

I remembered a few questsions I wanted to ask:
1. With the Skip Drive being a much earlier technology, do you plan to expand on the content/descisions to do when all you got is the skip drive? Splitting the game into Pre-FTL, Skip Drive, Proper Interstellar FTL?
2. In DW1 we had to find the idea for Warpdrive theory in Ruins. Before that, we could not even start research. And given the limitation to STL travel, it could take consider able time for the Exploration ships to actually get to the ruins, wich could break a empires ability to go for the Stars. Will that still be the case? Will we only need this unlock to progress past skip drive?
3. As I understand it, prior to the spaceport being built the Colony can act as ship producer - albeit slower and only 1 Project at a time.
Will they become fully interchangeable once the Spaceport is there, meaning that the space port can do stuff like creation and Upgrades of Colony/Construction ships? Having the one Yard Bottleneck - in particular with a Colonyship needing years to build - was always a big issue with DW1.
4.Will a planet without Spaceport be able to build, repair and retrotfit combat ships (albeit slowly)? Or will it be limited to the Stations+Civil ships?
6. What about a slighly "accelerated" Pre-interstellar start? Something where we start with the initial spaceport, initial Ships and Skip Drive unlocked/installed, so we can skip the pretty boring phase of waiting for the spaceport? Or is that phase less boring now?

Continuiation:
The Fuel Ship could fix the question/issue 2 from kratt81.
While a towing ship would be additionally usefull to grab derelicts or ships with disabeled hyperdrives, to move them to a port.
8. Will the civil economy be smart enough to scrap/mothball unprofitable operations, like idle freighters?
9. Will the Civil economy be able to use their own funds/construction ships to add to the space mining infrastructure?
10. Can I build or charter a freighter for specific deliveries (I do not care what brings more profit, that base needs caslon. And it needs Caslon there now!). Of course the old "Smuggler Bounty" system works as well.
11. What about drafting transporters to turn into military ships? While they historically made terrible combat vessels, they can still carry military cargo. And the carrier role is the one transports can be good in.
13. Will we get a Indicator for "enemy ships in that system"? What about a "last I had sensor contact, there were enemies there"?
14. Given that stops will actually mater in DW2, is there a way to declare specific Systems "off limits" for automatic pathfinding?

15. Will there be a warning for Spaceport congestion/automatic use of the planet if the docks are full? I just had a odd situation in DWU where one small spaceport had 30-40 ships in queue for docking, but I only saw it by accident to upgrade it.
I do not even know how much of my Private Freighter fleet was stopped there due to that congestion.
16. Any way to give the autodesigner some hints what to do?
For example, after some play I would love for my spaceport to include a FTL Inhibitor. And maybe add a lot of commerce boosting modules (unless there is a station for that now). Meanwhile at least the with the DW1 Research system, I could propably cut the research Modules out of anything but the largest Spaceports later.
Meanwhile only my biggest ships may have any use for Cago Bays or FTL inhibitors, if that.
With stuff like Fleet Modules even being limited to a special Fleet Flagship design.
A way to tell it not to put the latest techs in the Patrol ship classes? That that is both rather expensive and very vulnerable to being boarded and reverse-engineered.
17. The Advisor System that advises you to build ships: Is it is still there? And is there now a way to tell it "Stop suggesting Frigates" because they would die on a Patrol?
What about "please stop suggesting 20 Exporation ships, there is not a single unexplored system and I do not need that many spies"? Or does it auto-adjust to the number of unexplored Systems in travel range?
What about Construction ships?
A way to tell it wich ship sizes are for automated patroling duty? As tech develops anything smaler then a destroyer might become infeasible as a Automated Patrol.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 125
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/4/2021 9:41:39 PM   
Katarkus87

quote:

- Can we build Stations on larger Asteroids instead of just mining them with Ships? (f.E In the TV-Series The Expanse, Ceres has a permanent Population who mines the Ressources. Maybe higher Mining Rate that way?)

You could already do that in DWU.

Most of the asteroids were "duds" as far as resources are concerned, but the other ones were automatically build on. Never tried manual targetting, as there are too many and they are to small.

I meant it more like a very small Colony (compared to Planets), where you still can handle Population Politics etc. but with a increased Mining Output but much less Tax income.

quote:

I guess you mean something like Star Sectors "Lasting Damage"?
Or more like Star Trek Onlines "Wounds" you get from death in high difficulty, but wich can be removed?

It did not make sense for DWU.
And it only makes sense in Star Sector, because the Industrial base in said sector is to bad to actually build or repair those ships in a proper shipyard.

Yes exactly like in Starsector. Would be nice for Immersion, especially when the Spaceports are busy with the Private Sector, so that we would have a handful of flawed Ships in our Fleet who we must take to consideration when the said Fleet was drawn in to a Combat.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 126
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 12:29:33 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Katarkus87

I meant it more like a very small Colony (compared to Planets), where you still can handle Population Politics etc. but with a increased Mining Output but much less Tax income.

I added asteroid colonies in my mod since someone requested them. They were a neat little feature but kinda useless really. They could extend the range of colonization if you were playing with colonization range limits but that was really their only appealing factor.

Maybe I should give them increased mining capability like you suggested.

< Message edited by RogerBacon -- 2/5/2021 12:30:02 AM >

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to Katarkus87)
Post #: 127
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 1:07:39 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Seems to me a mining colony should give a bonus to all extractors in the system its in since it acts like a mini planet and would have docking bays like a space station. The bonus could be explained by having such a large local population to rotate the crew of the other stations to increase morale and productivity unlike some remote mining station out in the boonies. Would make uninhabitable systems more lucrative to develop and defend.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 128
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 2:08:36 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth
In DW1, "war" was just a different state of relations between two empires. It could lead to strange behaviours like an ally of yours agreeing to go to war to defend you against an aggressor, but then quickly negotiating a separate peace with the enemy and dropping out of the war, without any consequences

War is more of a "thing" in DW2, but not to the degree of something like in EUIV. We track a lot more about a lot of things under the hood and war is one of them. That is used to inform both the player and the AI of how a war is going and war weariness. Wars are still in effect 1:1, meaning that your ally may still decide to pursue a separate peace, but it's unlikely unless they either start losing badly (which you can help to prevent) or their war weariness gets very high (which can have lots of bad effects).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 129
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 2:09:13 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perry_Rhodan
So I guess there is some kind of UI feedback when you plan a long distance move, like seeing the legs of your trip in different colors? Or having a graphic symbol in between each leg?

Yes, you can see the jump path, but not in different colors but each leg is clear.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Perry_Rhodan)
Post #: 130
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 2:10:34 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perry_Rhodan
I'm wondering if Colonization in DW2 is akin to a wild 'grab the land' run or is more sedate? I would not like to expand like crazy just to prevent the AI from colonizing nearby me. This plagued Civilization in its early days, this was called 'Infinite City Sprawl' and now the game is smarter about that, with quality over quantity (also you can look at Endless Legend / Humankind 'regions', and Age of Wonders Planetfall approach to this issue).

Bottom line, the trend is about having mechanisms more about judicious placements and less about spamming colonies.

How DW2 is positioned on that?

Also, on the realism side of thing (but who cares? ), a new colony should not be profitable and produce a cruiser within 2 years of its colonization!

Pretty sure I already answered this one at length, but in short there is much less of a colony rush in DW2 and new colonies are more expensive, take longer to develop and require support. A quality colony location makes developing a good colony significantly easier.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 131
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 2:11:19 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dagfinn
Is the Galaxy Map 2D or 3D?

It's 3D in terms of the graphics, but effectively on a 2D plane in that you're not traveling up and down between star systems.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Dagfinn)
Post #: 132
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 2:17:41 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

The current evolution by default is a very brief sub-light period (you find enough info to build the skip drive quickly in your ancestral ruins on your homeworld, once you can understand the tech), then a longer skip drive period exploring just your own system, then a warp bubble drive period where you can go to the nearest systems, perhaps 4-5 more, then the full on hyperdrive era with the Gerax Hyperdrive, at which point much of the galaxy opens up, especially as you colonize and expand refueling points. The Gerax Hyperdrive era usually brings the "early game" to an end as it leads to encounters with other major empires, beginning what I'd call the mid-game where you're focusing less on establishing your interstellar civilization and more on competing with other interstellar civilizations.

[quote2. In DW1 we had to find the idea for Warpdrive theory in Ruins. Before that, we could not even start research. And given the limitation to STL travel, it could take consider able time for the Exploration ships to actually get to the ruins, wich could break a empires ability to go for the Stars. Will that still be the case? Will we only need this unlock to progress past skip drive?

By default, you now get a boost towards Skip Drive on your homeworld ruins, speeding up that initial process.

quote:

Colonies can build pretty much everything, but slower and with more cost. Once you build a spaceport, the AI is much better in DW2 at balancing the production load so that your overall production delays at all potential sites should be about even. I'll show this a bit more in future reveals. You can still of course manually queue production wherever you like.

Colony ships are huge endeavours, but the overall production queueing/balancing system is significantly better than in DW1 and we'll continue making the AI smarter in every area we can throughout beta.

quote:

Yes, it can, just more slowly.

quote:

The amount of population does affect the build rate, but spaceports are pretty much always going to be the fastest.

quote:

Sure, just pick a Tech Level 0 start instead of Pre-warp, but otherwise "starting".

You can really setup your start pretty much however you like.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 133
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 2:23:14 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

It's 3D in terms of the graphics, but effectively on a 2D plane in that you're not traveling up and down between star systems.

I think what he means is that can the view be rotated and tilted so you can view an object from any angle or is it stuck in an isometric or top down position?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 134
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 2:37:36 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Katarkus87
- While in Combat, will it be possible to ram enemy Ships? (f.E Player orders outgunned Frigate, to ram the enemy Battleship or Station of some sort.)

Not at present. As long as you have assault pods, you can board enemy ships though, to damage or capture them, as in DW1.

quote:

-Is it possible to hide Ships from enemy Radars behind large Celestial Objects?(f.E Gas Giant - like in the upcoming 4X Game Falling Frontier)

I don't know anything about Falling Frontier. With that said, what you describe in terms of possibly not seeing a ship within the same solar system is mainly an early game thing. Once your sensors get a bit better, you will pretty much see everything within a system as in DW1 and the visibility question becomes more about how far outside your system you can see and where there are gaps in your long-range sensor coverage, or how good it is at identifying what it sees.

A lot of work went into making this less of a binary "you see it and know everything about it" vs. "you see and know nothing" to adding more levels of knowledge. You could know that something is there, or know that it's there and who it belongs to, or even its role, or even be able to see its exact design, etc. The interaction of other components such as stealth components, trace jammers, etc. play into this and the power of sensors to detect may vary from their power to unmask empire or role.

Good long range sensors can also give you some information on even previously unexplored systems within their range. Larger ships and stations are also easier to detect than smaller ones.

quote:

- Will Ships take damage when they are to close to a Star? (They didnt in DWU)

I haven't directly tried to fly a ship into a star, but I'm pretty sure the ships will not accept that order and thus not take damage.

quote:

- Can we build Stations on larger Asteroids instead of just mining them with Ships? (f.E In the TV-Series The Expanse, Ceres has a permanent Population who mines the Ressources. Maybe higher Mining Rate that way?)

Mining stations now have an asteroid mining range. You build a mining station, it will start mining all asteroids within its range. While individual asteroids usually have low resource abundance, a few well-situated mining stations can make a good asteroid field quite valuable.

quote:

- Are you considering adding Ground Troops Techs in future Expansions? (f.E Better Stormrifles for Infantry or better Armor for Tank Divisions)

I suppose it's possible, though there's already a tech tree for improving the various ground combat capabilities. We want to see how the changes we already made to ground combat shake out during beta and post-release before deciding on any future changes.

quote:

- In the Bacon Mod, Shipcrews can gain Experience. Are there any Plans to integrate this Mechanic?

Not in this release, but allowing ships to gain experience like troops makes sense as something to do in the future. We nearly did that in DW1, but ended up going with Ship Captains instead (which did not make the cut for DW2).

quote:

- Is there a possibility that some Colonies can revolt against Player/AI because of Government Type? (f.E Colony X wants to brake off from Mortalen Dictatorship because they want Democracy.)

Don't think so at present. We added an assimilation resistance to various factions in DW2 and this has a direct role to play in how happy a conquered colony will be and how long it will take for it to be more accepting of its new owner. At the same time, there are biases between the various species which can lead to some being happier than others within a particular empire, especially if your empire is trying to exterminate or enslave them otherwise. Espionage also is a significant external catalyst for revolts and rebellions. Finally, your own policy choices and how they effect a given colony's happiness as well as the updated corruption system and its interaction with the reach of government through administration facilities have a lot to do with it as well.

quote:

- Can heavy battered Ships be recovered by Construction Ships after a battle like in DWU? If yes, are they getting any malus from that? (f.E defective Radars: -20% on Weapons accuracy)

Yes, badly damaged ships can be repaired by Construction Ships. Damaged is now a separate state for components and does cause penalties vs. being undamaged. Destroyed is of course just that component is entirely gone.

quote:

- Can we rob Cargo from Freighters that belongs to Empires we are at War with, rather then just destroying them? (like the German Navy did in World War I and a reason to add Cargo Bays to Warships )

You can board them and take them as well as their cargo. You can also raid for resources and money.

quote:

- Can we order Spies to abduct Scientists from other Empires to hinder their Research progress? (abducting enemy characters was possible in Star Wars Rebellion)

Not yet, though this area is still a bit in development. You can assassinate them though. :-)

quote:

- in DWU there was a limit in the Editor for Celestial Objects we could place in a Solar System. Is it still the same?

Haven't tried this yet, will have to ask Elliot when he returns.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Katarkus87)
Post #: 135
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 2:41:37 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: kratt81
1. For the first point, when I said army/military only drag, i was referring to the military ships, not the ground armies which I know are assigned to a planet. In DWU which I am playing right now, when I drag-select my military ships like frigates and destroyers, if non-military ships like construction ships and exploration ships are in that drag-select, they will also be included and sent to where I am sending my military ships, usually to battle. In a lot of other RTS and 4X games, the drag-select is usually default or at the very least, is toggleable in the options menu. Including this will help reduce micro-bloat as currently, I have to constantly individually remove them from my drag-select which is often hard to do as I sometimes, I cant tell their non-military ships by the pictures.

Understood completely now, thanks. Not yet, but it makes sense to add this and we will if possible.

quote:

2. In regards to the fuel issue, what I meant was that (after testing as well) lets say in a fleet of 20 ships, 5 of them run out of fuel while the other 15 still have half fuel, what happens is that the other 15 ships move at their full speed while the other 5 ships in the fleet that have no fuel move at a reduced speed which makes sense and is realistic, my issue is that lets say I want to continue sending those 15 ships to where they are going and those 5 ships to the nearest refueling station, I don't have that option and I have to manually select all those fuel empty ships and send them to a refueling station, when it comes to micro, this feels extremely inefficient and I feel that a option like "refuel all EMPTY fuel ships" would make gameplay a lot better and reduce micro-bloat rather than the current only option of "refuel ALL ships" which will send all the ships to a refueling station when I only wanted to send the completely fuel empty ships to refuel.

Understood. I haven't seen this case happen in DW2. We are also still working on the fleet coordination AI though and it's not perfect yet so I've seen other issues that we still have to resolve. The new fuel tankers are also intended to help with fleet (and other ship) refueling, but especially for fleets.

quote:

3. Continuing from that, another quality of life improvement I think would be to allow ctrl alt selecting, as currently in DWU, if I want to select certain ships from a group of 20 ships, i.e. the 5 fuel empty ships so I can specifically select those to send to refuel, I cannot do that. That is because after i drag select or select the fleet, if I try to click one of the ships, it will send me directly to that ship and exit out of the multiple ship fleet view on the bottom left of the screen, I think that including the option to ctrl select so when you do that, the screen doesnt change to that specific ship and you can continue selecting ships so that you select the ones you want (ex. empty fuel ships) will make this game much better and reduce micro-bloat, a lot of RTS games and other 4X games have that function of ctrl selecting so that fleet management is a lot easier, thank you.

Thanks for the suggestion, will consider this as well.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to kratt81)
Post #: 136
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 2:45:01 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: EmperorKirk
One thing I loved in DW1 was that troop numbers where believable like you needed between 150k-500k to take small to medium planets, if you wanted to take high population colonies or a homeworld you need between 1m-5m troops. These numbers are a hell of a lot better than other 4x, where example in Galciv2 you took billions of your people from a planet forced them on a troop transport and attacked an enemy world which is very silly, or like Stellaris where it does not tell you numbers at all. So, my questions are will troop numbers be as believable as in DW1 and will be able to see casualties after a battle?

I think they are more believable, similar to DW1, but we'll have to see what folks think during beta.

quote:

Also, will war be as free as in DW1, I hate the restrictive and timed wars in Stellaris?( one of the reasons I don't play it much, even compared to other paradox games it's a bad war system) Don't misunderstand me I still want warexhaustion, angry populations and possibly rebellions if I push my people to far, but I hate when wars just end due to random ticking down time that I have no control over, wars should end when either I choose to start peace talks or when the enemy does( which means you could also have very limited wars which was very cool). The one thing hope is not the same is how much you could abuse war and diplomacy when talking to other races, like you could keep sending and breaking treaties( getting loads of techs or get out of wars), there should be some cooldowns on some diplomatic actions.

There's no enforced end time for a war, but if you are playing a faction that is prone to war weariness, the effects of this over time become quite serious, especially if you don't take other measures to keep your people happy to compensate for it (which can otherwise lead to rebellions and even civil war).

The improved diplomatic system does have enforced cooldowns to avoid exactly the type of issue you were referring to in DW1 and I hope that as we keep testing it during beta, we'll iron out any remaining exploits or balance issues.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to EmperorKirk)
Post #: 137
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 2:52:35 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

There are fuel tankers now. There are not towing ships, but construction ships will go to repair damaged ships so that they can move themselves again.

quote:

Hopefully so. :-)

quote:

Yes, mining stations are now build using private funds. The state effectively grants the license for a mining location, the private sector pays for the construction and maintenance.

quote:

No, but you can set your resource priorities at that location which will act to pull more Caslon there through the private sector system. As far as smuggling and such, independent freighters will also respond to demand, but a more full-featured smuggling system is something for an expansion.

quote:

True, but building Troop Transports is the intended way to do that in DW2. We decided back in DW1 to keep a pretty clear separation in this area even though what you describe would be a bit more realistic. It's possible we may blur that line a bit in the future, but nothing in this release.

quote:

If you have enough military ships, per your policy settings some will not be in fleets. Those will generally if automated be assigned to protect mining stations, patrol systems and escort important shipments. The freighters do not "convoy up" but I could see that being an interesting idea to explore in the future when there are threats or war to consider if an enemy is causing significant losses to the private sector.

quote:

You do get notifications when enemy ships are approaching or attacking. The notifications bring you to the location of that contact, whether it's still there or not (if it left your sensor range).

quote:

The automatic system for avoiding threats is much better, but this type of manual declaration of a system as off-limits is something I'd like to add, if not in this release then in the future.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 138
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 2:58:07 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

15. Will there be a warning for Spaceport congestion/automatic use of the planet if the docks are full? I just had a odd situation in DWU where one small spaceport had 30-40 ships in queue for docking, but I only saw it by accident to upgrade it.

This should not be an issue in DW2, with any luck.

quote:

16. Any way to give the autodesigner some hints what to do?
For example, after some play I would love for my spaceport to include a FTL Inhibitor. And maybe add a lot of commerce boosting modules (unless there is a station for that now). Meanwhile at least the with the DW1 Research system, I could propably cut the research Modules out of anything but the largest Spaceports later.
Meanwhile only my biggest ships may have any use for Cago Bays or FTL inhibitors, if that.
With stuff like Fleet Modules even being limited to a special Fleet Flagship design.
A way to tell it not to put the latest techs in the Patrol ship classes? That that is both rather expensive and very vulnerable to being boarded and reverse-engineered.

Changing the design templates and faction preferences (data file editing) is the most powerful way to do this, though you can influence what's build through in-game policies as well. If you're running purely on auto-design, the default design templates and preferences reflect what that faction prefers lore-wise as well as what just makes the most general sense for each role. Mainly by researching better components would you influence the auto-designer to choose those if you're not editing your own template or preferences. Exposing more of these in-game is a good wish list item.

quote:

17. The Advisor System that advises you to build ships: Is it is still there? And is there now a way to tell it "Stop suggesting Frigates" because they would die on a Patrol?
What about "please stop suggesting 20 Exporation ships, there is not a single unexplored system and I do not need that many spies"? Or does it auto-adjust to the number of unexplored Systems in travel range?
What about Construction ships?
A way to tell it wich ship sizes are for automated patroling duty? As tech develops anything smaler then a destroyer might become infeasible as a Automated Patrol.

Yes, there are still construction advisors. You can adjust your policy settings in-game to tell them what you want prioritized and can even tell them that you do not want any escorts or frigates, for example, or set the priority of more exploration ships to very low. With that said, our hope is that by release, the advisors will be more intelligent than in DW1 (they already are in many cases, still need more work in others).

Defining your fleet templates for defense, attack and invasion will also help guide construction.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 139
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 4:04:28 AM   
Katarkus87

quote:

I haven't directly tried to fly a ship into a star, but I'm pretty sure the ships will not accept that order and thus not take damage.

In DW1 my Private Sector had build many Tourist Bases very close to a Neutron Star and automated Exploration Ships were flying right past beside a Main Yellow Star, without taking Radiation or Heat Damage. I also never ordered a Ship flying directly in to one. ;)

Thanks for finding some time to answer our Questions.

Post #: 140
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 7:41:56 AM   
Perry_Rhodan

Thanks for the time you take in answering our barrage of questions Erik!

some, unrelated to each other and not answered before, probably (I read all the thread)

1. Solar systems. Can binary stars system (or tertiary, quaternary) exist? The most recent data indicate that at least half of the systems in the Milky way have 2+ suns.

2. Stealth. You spoke of various levels of intel on ships, depending of sensor coverage. It reminds me a bit of Stars!, a nerdy 4x game running in WEGO. Actual question now Do you get any feedback, as the stealth ship, to your stealth status?
In the real world you either detect objects with passive or active sensors. Active ones are much more powerful, and passive are limited to the speed of light. IRL, active too, but in a sci-fi game you usually ping a target with tachyon (FTL particles) to identify them.
Anyway, what I mean is that there is some ground on a feature where the target can know if it is detected or not... I guess DW2 provides no feedback on that, as I see it as a rather grognard feature. Yes/No?

3. What about resources reserved by other empires you go to war with? Are they still gently kept on your planets or can you impound them? This was quite infuriating (yes, to this level ) in DW1 to see 40k steel units reserved by a nation you were at war with.

4. How do you handle a ship stranded in space with destroyed (not damaged) engines? Can a construction ship tows the ship? Repair it? But you said only damaged components were repaired.

5. I'm a bit worried about the lack of 'banned to travel' systems for the civilian sectors. I fear they will be destroyed regularly by some menaces in systems where you would prefer they don't transit into. And this can also works against the AI, where the player setup ambushes in barren systems which are used as a waypoint by enemy civilian ships.

6. Privateers? Is there a way to hide your nationality to raid on civilian shipping?

< Message edited by Perry_Rhodan -- 2/5/2021 7:43:11 AM >

(in reply to Katarkus87)
Post #: 141
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 7:45:58 AM   
Cubano

How many people are working on the game and what are their roles?

Post #: 142
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 8:21:20 AM   
Raagun

Love additions you made to game. Really see how they can enrich strategies. Looking forward to my beta invite *wink* *wink*

Question:
Do you keep race groups?

I think this was one of most innovative (I think. Never saw this in other 4X) things in DW:U. It added extra diplomatic layer. And made possible to balance OP races indirectly (everyone hate bugs >:D)
I know that at start few races will be there, but modders and later expansions probably will drastically increase that. So having support for race groups is handy from start.

(in reply to Cubano)
Post #: 143
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 9:22:58 AM   
Dagfinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

I think what he means is that can the view be rotated and tilted so you can view an object from any angle or is it stuck in an isometric or top down position?

No, Erik answered my question as it was intended

In our darkest hours all the shades are gray

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 144
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 3:47:01 PM   
Oneil19

Hey, long time player of Stellaris and i just found out about DW. Feel like i ve been living under a rock !
I really love the concept and i am hyped for that second iteration i ll buy for sure.
And i don’t want to transpose some mechanics of another game here, but is there some form of galactic threat appearing in DW at some point (like crisis)?
Now it s Time for me to sink my head in DWU. Can t believe i missed it...

And btw, this place was pretty hard to find. Either lost in the many sections of the forum or i am blind.
For ease of access, might want to put a link on the steam page. To get some exposure :)

(in reply to Dagfinn)
Post #: 145
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 3:51:49 PM   
Miletkir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oneil19

Hey, long time player of Stellaris and i just found out about DW. Feel like i ve been living under a rock !

Embrace the Light, brother

(in reply to Oneil19)
Post #: 146
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 4:00:42 PM   
Dd_01

Whoa, there's a questions squall it seems; Let me add some :)

1. I'm curious about the soundtrack - would it switch tracks randomly (as in the first part) or there's some kind of built-in music player to switch tracks manually if desired?
2. Not sure if it was asked before, but would it be possible to have different ship types within the same class? I.e. Missile Frigate, Torpedo Frigate, Boarding Frigate (all available to upgrade and build) and so on?
3. Would there be random disasters (i.e. sinkholes, huge sandstorms, plagues, economic crises)?
4. Would there be a way to peacefully integrate vassalized empire?

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 147
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/5/2021 9:50:11 PM   
Ranbir

quote:

Not in this release, but allowing ships to gain experience like troops makes sense as something to do in the future. We nearly did that in DW1, but ended up going with Ship Captains instead (which did not make the cut for DW2)

I actually like you didn't put captains in since there were never enough captains for all those ships! Are Admirals still in? Characters at the higher levels of empire bureaucracy seem more fit for DW. Intelligence Agents, Governors, Ambassadors, Scientists. Any new additions?

quote:

You can board them and take them as well as their cargo. You can also raid for resources and money.

Would those freighters just switch to your empire's private sector and head to a port? Or does the state take control?

< Message edited by Ranbir -- 2/5/2021 9:54:55 PM >

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to Dd_01)
Post #: 148
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/6/2021 1:07:45 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oneil19

I really love the concept and i am hyped for that second iteration i ll buy for sure.
And i don’t want to transpose some mechanics of another game here, but is there some form of galactic threat appearing in DW at some point (like crisis)?

Long term stellaris player here as well. After finally having started to play DW seriously the similarties and very noticeable. Stellaris has the much better UI, but then the UI is DW1's biggest issue
The Stellaris dev-team was definitely inspired by DW1 and it's mods. Time for the DW2 team to be inspired in return

As for a crisis: They kinda already had thsoe in DW1:
- there was a "legendary band of pirates" reappearing. It's power however can be pretty poorly adjusted to the galaxy they spawn into
- the return of the "Shaktur". Even with their own little sort-off Fallen Empire and some ruins to warn you about them. Of course I never actually played a game for long enough for them to appear (usually win on racial conditions before that)

(in reply to Oneil19)
Post #: 149
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 2/6/2021 8:04:26 AM   
Whiskiz

quote:

War is more of a "thing" in DW2, but not to the degree of something like in EUIV. We track a lot more about a lot of things under the hood and war is one of them. That is used to inform both the player and the AI of how a war is going and war weariness. Wars are still in effect 1:1, meaning that your ally may still decide to pursue a separate peace, but it's unlikely unless they either start losing badly (which you can help to prevent) or their war weariness gets very high (which can have lots of bad effects).

One and only actual question - Is there a way to track not just how a war is going, but the impact of War Weariness on your empire? Either a general "level" or the exact effects? It'd be nice to know to help in the decision making for example in how far you want to push things, what you may or may not need to do elsewhere to cope with it currently etc. Instead of just say happening to have lower colony happiness than usual. I'm guessing so but i just wanted to double check, also because:

It'd be great if you could also track your allies War Weariness too, to know where they're at at all times: if they need help, if they recently took a big hit, if they're about to peace out etc. Adding more depth to having friends and working and coordinating with them.

-Pre-warp and starting in general sounds much more improved. Brief sublight, homesystem skipdrive, small radius warp around your system to more opened up radius, with it starting to expand the more refuelling places you have. Nicely done.

-It's great that colonisation/expansion has been made more meaningful along with everything else. The economy, combat, racial identity, exploration, the "world" terrain. Some great design coming, i can't wait to see how all this theory plays out.

quote:

What you describe in terms of possibly not seeing a ship within the same solar system is mainly an early game thing. Once your sensors get a bit better, you will pretty much see everything within a system as in DW1 and the visibility question becomes more about how far outside your system you can see and where there are gaps in your long-range sensor coverage, or how good it is at identifying what it sees.

A lot of work went into making this less of a binary "you see it and know everything about it" vs. "you see and know nothing" to adding more levels of knowledge. You could know that something is there, or know that it's there and who it belongs to, or even its role, or even be able to see its exact design, etc. The interaction of other components such as stealth components, trace jammers, etc. play into this and the power of sensors to detect may vary from their power to unmask empire or role.

Good long range sensors can also give you some information on even previously unexplored systems within their range. Larger ships and stations are also easier to detect than smaller ones.

-I like the idea of multiple levels of information outside and around systems you're in, but i'm not sure how i feel about auto being able to see everything inside a system once sensors are a bit better.

On one hand maybe it'd make exploration even more meaningful, on a per system basis if you couldn't automatically see the entire system as soon as you entered it, or if terrain like Asteroid fields, clouds, planets etc kind of disrupted sensor strength - On the other hand it might not be great flying around the corner of an asteroid field straight into an enemy empire/pirate/creature and have your ship destroyed Or more so not having info of a system in its entirety at all times which maybe causes games of unwanted hide and seek with random things at random times or something.

Maybe you could build sensor towers in systems for full sensor strength where you'd like to have that vision, especially in systems with structures so they of course can't be ambushed. The more you expand your empire the more full vision you can afford. Otherwise who knows what's lurking in a system with you, right around that planet or inside that gas cloud...

quote:

Not in this release, but allowing ships to gain experience like troops makes sense as something to do in the future. We nearly did that in DW1, but ended up going with Ship Captains instead (which did not make the cut for DW2).

-I was actually going to leave a thread saying it'd be cool if Ship Captains were also a little more rare and meaningful, to then give them skills that work temporarily - like an ability to turn sharply, one to boost engines, one to increase firepower and/or shield regen, maybe one to enter complete stealth for a few seconds, one to drop some mines etc.

Either with separate cooldowns and unlocked at different levels/ranks - or a global resource meter that depletes as each is used with the size of the meter increasing with level/rank: So it's dynamic what you use in which situation. Bring some awesome RPG to your biggest most favorite ships, in your biggest fights.

But i guess no Ship Captains at all. (Or hopefully in a later expansion)

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 2/6/2021 11:51:45 AM >

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI