Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? - 6/21/2021 10:12:41 AM   
LordMM

Raw, processed and Manufactured resources is the winner. If this does become an expansion, then this will be absolutely brilliant.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LordMM -- 6/21/2021 10:13:21 AM >

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 151
RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? - 6/21/2021 10:39:14 AM   
Miletkir

You mean "Orbiting planets" is the winner.

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 152
RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? - 6/21/2021 1:46:48 PM   
LordMM

Yes and no as Orbiting planets is really not gonna happen due to how much of a resource hog it will be.

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 153
RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? - 6/23/2021 6:29:45 AM   
martok

quote:

ORIGINAL: LordMM

Raw, processed and Manufactured resources is the winner. If this does become an expansion, then this will be absolutely brilliant.

Completely disagree. That is way, way more detail than I want in my 4x games, even in Distant Worlds. Implementing something like that would be as much a waste of time & resources as the orbiting planets.

Out of all those features, there's really only three that I'm interested in:

1.) More playable races/factions
2.) Playable pirates
3.) Multiplayer.

Jump-gates and a more robust ground combat system would be cool, but I'm not chomping at the bit for them.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 154
RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? - 6/23/2021 2:13:18 PM   
Hanekem

I mean, as an optional feature "use on your own risk" or maybe in limted size playmaps? could be neat to have. Just planets, though, not moons or asteroids (and maybe only inner planets, nothing with orbital speeds measured in decades/centuries per rotation) if we start adding which ones orbit and which wont, it might not end up being so much a resource hog

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 155
RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? - 6/29/2021 3:07:06 AM   
wetpig

I agree with your (martok) post in its entirety.

< Message edited by wetpig -- 6/29/2021 3:08:03 AM >

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 156
RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? - 6/29/2021 8:05:09 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanekem

I mean, as an optional feature "use on your own risk" or maybe in limted size playmaps? could be neat to have. Just planets, though, not moons or asteroids (and maybe only inner planets, nothing with orbital speeds measured in decades/centuries per rotation) if we start adding which ones orbit and which wont, it might not end up being so much a resource hog

I would say no way... you only add something that has substantial worth to the entire game not parts of it or if you only play it in a certain way.

I say their time and effort are way better spent elsewhere.

I think the same goes for raw and processed resources... I wonder exactly what this would add to the game in terms of actual choice instead of just adding more resources instead which is way simpler and mean almost zero time to implement into the game.

There is no real point in adding complexity for the sake of adding complexity if it does not significantly add to the game experience or value.

I would rather see more cultural, political and diplomatic stuff added to the game so we can interact with the game in more complex ways rather than just declare war on opponents or deeper interaction with allies. Multi lateral diplomacy and forming federations of different kinds for instance.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 6/29/2021 8:09:26 AM >

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 157
RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? - 6/29/2021 11:14:07 AM   
Miletkir

I would say that just adding more resources... doesn't add anything, neither in terms of gameplay (at best, you just redistribute tensions, at worst, you remove some tensions for resource control) nor immersion (the more you have resources, the less significance each of them has).

What would a tiered economy bring? Layers of strategic complexity, an expansion of the research tree and definitely more immersion. Not only you need to protect your sources and transit lanes, but you have to make sure your distribution between raw and manufactured is efficient, and, conversely, targeting different stages of resource production when waging war can have very different effects on how it cripples the enemy. You also expand the whole aspect of quantity vs. quality, much more than with just raw resources of different values.

Some strategy games have tried that with more or less success (Anno, Stellaris to an extent) for these reasons.

All that being said, I'm leaning more and more towards an expansion of the ground combat mechanics + colony building and management... Of course, it should be balanced, not create micromanagement sinkholes.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 158
RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? - 7/4/2021 6:22:21 PM   
Bleek

Unless it's just one planet, I don't really find colony management compelling. It turns in to a min-max, micro management hell.

I don't particularly enjoy the systems in Stellaris.

I much prefer the in-space stuff; exploration, resource strategy, economy and politics/diplomacy.

I voted for more factions. The flavour of 20-30+ races in DW:U (modded) is great.

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 159
RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? - 7/4/2021 10:50:43 PM   
Hanekem

Stellaris implementation is particularly bad and micro heavy and has issues stacked on issues
Which was why originally sectors were AI controlled things to keep the kludge of a planetary system from overwhelming even the most die hard player

I think a more in depth system can be had, not in the moo vein because it runs the same issue as Stellaris, if differently
Perhaps something closer to Dawn of Andromeda, which had a neat planetary interface, much more minimalistic and only showcasing the important bits

Admittedly it isn't some must have, but...

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 160
RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? - 7/11/2021 1:33:32 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

Planet management as you have in Stellaris would be a huge mistake, it already is a mistake in that game... both on performance and on the player for micromanagement... it simply don't work unless you only have a couple of planets to deal with. It quickly gets old and the more planets you have the more you need to micro for less return... it is just bad gameplay design in my opinion.

More factions, more diplomacy and internal political mechanics that is what I would like to see in the Distant Worlds franchise as that is what most 4x games lack and Distant Worlds already have everything such as a deep and dynamic economy, logistics and combat systems.

Ground combat in that you have to interact with it in any way shape and form should be a big NO in my opinion, not part of the the epic nature of this game. Setting up a rule system or some similar for ground combat and make the results a bit less obvious would be great. But no ground combat that we need to interact with, that would be too much.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 7/11/2021 1:41:14 PM >

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 161
RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? - 7/17/2021 6:57:28 PM   
MTGian

My suggestion when it comes to planetary management is to mimic the role that European home countries played when colonizing the New World in the 1500 to 1800 time period. The governments of home countries organized expeditions to explore and colonize regions (as the player would do with exploration ships, then colony ships). Once a colony was established, governments continued to support the colony with support ships (food/supplies) to get the colony on its feet. It would seem logical that the player should do the same in Distant Worlds 2. However, eventually the colony grew large enough that it no longer needed support. After that, the main way that governments continued to interact with a colony was through governance and infrastructure. It would seem reasonable that the player in Distant Worlds 2 should have to invest in the "in space" version of infrastructure and governance (larger and more elaborate space stations). This should be quite expensive. While I am not a grizzled veteran of Distant Worlds Universe, I have played a few games and I typically would build a space station around a planet, then forget about it. That would seem an area for more involvement/money sink for players.

Anyway, as far as the economy of colonies, I don't think that European governments were terribly involved in that. Places that were good for farming naturally developed farming because that is what made money. The same is true for mining or fishing. Some places became population centers. Those places naturally developed diverse economies with insurance, banking, and shipping industries. I don't think European governments mandated or even particularly influenced any of that.

As such, I think it would make sense if the economic simulation system of Distant Worlds 2 handled that. Planets should make money by doing something (selling food or minerals or through tourism). In each case, the profits that the planet generates would be invested to expand that industry exactly as would have happened during European colonial expansion. Planets that are well suited to populations should build diverse economies. All of that could occur under the hood and be something that the player can observe and perhaps influence, but does not need to directly manage like in Stelleris. The way that the player would interact with all of that is as planets expand, they should need more government/infrastructure investment to continue to grow, which the player would need to provide.

That would be my recommendation.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 162
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: Poll: First DW2 expansion? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI