Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Quick Questions Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Quick Questions Thread Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/18/2022 8:38:26 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: FriedrichII

Is it possible for the Axis to win North Africa Theater if enough forces are transferred?
Did someone try this?

N Africa by design is hard to affect, since the Axis couldn't really supply what was committed, sending more has little impact

you can delay Italy/West substantially by over-committing but in the end the Western Allies will make gains

(in reply to FriedrichII)
Post #: 1261
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/18/2022 10:06:28 AM   
Stamb

Corps HQ / Soviet Army help units within a range of 5 hexes only, and once range is 6 or more there is no help in rolls at all or just a penalty? If there is a penalty - how do I calculate it?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 1262
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/18/2022 2:39:42 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stamb

Corps HQ / Soviet Army help units within a range of 5 hexes only, and once range is 6 or more there is no help in rolls at all or just a penalty? If there is a penalty - how do I calculate it?

the rules on distance and leadership penalties are in 15.5.4 - make sure you use the Living Manual in this regard as patch 01.01.01 changed some rules

if a HQ directly commanding a given unit is >5 hexes it is out of range and has no effect, no leadership value, no SU allocation and no sharing of support squads

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 1263
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/18/2022 2:46:19 PM   
Stamb

Is there any link where Living manual is available?

Thanks for the info!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 1264
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/18/2022 6:09:30 PM   
Zovs

In your manual folder.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Stamb)
Post #: 1265
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/18/2022 7:37:06 PM   
Stamb

Thanks Zovs.

It would be also nice if this file was available on ftp.

Back to the topic:
quote:

Errata: Clarification (01.01.01): When determining the modifier, instead of subtracting 5 from the range before determining the modifier, you subtract the following:
Corps HQ –5
Army –10
Army Group/Front–15
High command -20

Then there is this example:
quote:

For example, if the leader of a GermanArmy HQ unit that was 15hexes away from a unit was conducting an initiative check, 5 (i.e. (15-5)/2) would be added to the random number value.

But according to a clarification Army should get -10, so it 15 hexes away - 10 = 5. And 5/2 would be added to the random number value.

Am I wrong?

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 1266
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/18/2022 7:54:54 PM   
ImperatorAugustus

What is the exact effect of overstacking commands.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 1267
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/19/2022 8:41:19 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: ImperatorAugustus

What is the exact effect of overstacking commands.

see 15.5.2 of the manual, then the later worked examples for what that might mean in a practical situation

(in reply to ImperatorAugustus)
Post #: 1268
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/19/2022 7:50:50 PM   
sandman2575

Question: what does it mean when combat resolves, but there's no indication of the outcome? No "enemy retreated" or something. Just the final odds. Per the screenshot:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 1269
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/21/2022 3:41:33 PM   
RedJohn

If I isolate Moscow during my turn as the Axis, Moscow should be removed as an NSS, right?

(in reply to sandman2575)
Post #: 1270
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/22/2022 10:08:46 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedJohn

If I isolate Moscow during my turn as the Axis, Moscow should be removed as an NSS, right?

I think it has to be isolated in the Soviet logistics phase, I'd interpret this: "depot will totally cease to function as a NSS if it cannot trace a rail link to another on map NSS" (25.2.3) in that way (but it could be in your logistics phase). The reduction to holding 50k of freight is automatic at the end of your turn

(in reply to RedJohn)
Post #: 1271
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/22/2022 10:10:41 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: sandman2575

Question: what does it mean when combat resolves, but there's no indication of the outcome? No "enemy retreated" or something. Just the final odds. Per the screenshot:

its an odd display issue that sometimes comes up if the defender really has 0 cv left, given what they are these would have surrendered.

A question for you is why did you expend all that CPP attacking 2 fortified zones, a single regiment should have been enough and save you a lot of combat power for later

(in reply to sandman2575)
Post #: 1272
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/22/2022 7:47:48 PM   
aMaschina

I wanted to post two screenshots but apparently i cant

i have a gazillion of tank divisions in turn 31 as the soviets, and it cuts down to 2 when handing the turn. Yes i know divisions change theater boxes, but not that many at once and usually you can see their withdrawal turn, and they dont show up in another theatre afterwards

Also while I am at it, what is the correct OOB setup for the soviets? is it army - army group - front - stavka? And which of those HQs should have the best commanders, which of the HQ commanders needs which stat (admin, infantry .. ?)

Does the command range of an army (15) lower in winter conditions?

How do I deal with not having enough fronts?

Why do I have a metric ton of support units in STAVKA? Because they dont have TOE100%? What is the optimal support level down the OOB?

Why do my tank divisions not pull reinforcements in form of tanks when set on refit, being in range of their respective HQ and sitting near a depot that is not far from moscow?

Why does the AI overstack airbases when I carefully draw the rectangle with CTRL and left click so that it switches to black font?

Thanks for your answers

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 1273
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/22/2022 8:27:29 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: aMaschina

i have a gazillion of tank divisions in turn 31 as the soviets, and it cuts down to 2 when handing the turn. Yes i know divisions change theater boxes, but not that many at once and usually you can see their withdrawal turn, and they dont show up in another theatre afterwards

Could be that they were downgraded to Tank Brigades as this happens as the war goes by. Check your Event Log.

quote:

Also while I am at it, what is the correct OOB setup for the soviets? is it army - army group - front - stavka? And which of those HQs should have the best commanders, which of the HQ commanders needs which stat (admin, infantry .. ?)

Army-Front-Stavka. The Soviets dont have Army Groups.
The first HQ should always have the best commanders, so in this case put your best commanders in your most important armies.

Mechanized and Initiative rating are good to have for Tank Armies, or armies where you have multiple armored formations.
Infantry rating is important for all the rest. Put your best commanders (Zhukov, Konev, Rokossovski etc) in your Armies that have the best/strongest infantry formations.

Dont worry too much about Admin ratings.

quote:

Does the command range of an army (15) lower in winter conditions?

Not that I know of.

quote:

How do I deal with not having enough fronts?

You overstack the quiet Fronts and keep your main ones that are doing the fighting below their CP.

quote:

Why do I have a metric ton of support units in STAVKA? Because they dont have TOE100%? What is the optimal support level down the OOB?

Because you probably told them to go there by unlocking your Support levels. Lock the SUs so they stay in place in the command where you have them. The optimal support depends, best thing to do is have at least 6 SUs in your Army HQs, a mix of artillery, AT, AA and SPGuns/Engineers.

quote:

Why do my tank divisions not pull reinforcements in form of tanks when set on refit, being in range of their respective HQ and sitting near a depot that is not far from moscow?

A depot being far or close to Moscow isnt that relevant, neither is being in range of the HQ AFAIK. You need to make sure that they are sitting on a depot that has enough freight, you should make sure that you have enough equipment in the pools and also that the unit is stacked with a HQ.

In addition to that, if you put too many formations on refit they will all pull very little equipment. Sometimes its better to limit the nr of units on refit so they are actually getting what they need.

quote:

Why does the AI overstack airbases when I carefully draw the rectangle with CTRL and left click so that it switches to black font?

Dont exactly know what you mean.

< Message edited by xhoel -- 1/22/2022 8:28:44 PM >

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

(in reply to aMaschina)
Post #: 1274
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/22/2022 8:53:31 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

Re the airbase query, my impression is that the air AI routines are a little too reluctant to put airgroups into empty airbases with no supply. So if you move an AOG all together they might end up overstacked on the one airbase that was already active rather than being spread around on other 'empty' airbases.In my experience at least (from an axis perspective) it helps to use the small 'Stab' airgroups and the short range recon groups to 'open up' airfields so that they are a bit more ready to accept larger groups the following turn.

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 1275
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/22/2022 9:53:03 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: xhoel

Dont worry too much about Admin ratings.

well its important if you want to ensure your units do well in the logistics tests?

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 1276
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/22/2022 10:56:56 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

well its important if you want to ensure your units do well in the logistics tests?

Did I say they have no relevance or did I tell a new player to not worry too much about it since there are more important things for them to learn?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 1277
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/22/2022 11:02:38 PM   
MemoryLeak

This is so frustrating. I'm on page 83 of the manual. Trying to follow the tutorial scenario. I can't even get past the VP display. I would think that the tutorial would explain everything, hence the name...Tutorial.

What does ET and EG mean? I wonder if the person who labels these things went to a Cryptic school to make sure nothing was obvious? Sorry, I forgot, criticism and honest feelings are discouraged. But from a "just opened the box" point of view, the labels throughout the game are terrible. Sorry I apologize. Honest opinion slipped out again.

Thanks

Forget it , it doesn't matter. I give up. Thanks for the past help.

< Message edited by MemoryLeak -- 1/22/2022 11:04:14 PM >

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 1278
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/22/2022 11:10:31 PM   
xhoel

If you need help you can always just ask.

ET= End Turn, this the amount of VPs you get at the end of the turn if you control the location.
EG= End Game, this is the amount of VPs you get at the end of the game if you control the location.

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 1279
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/23/2022 6:02:16 AM   
malyhin1517

quote:

All replenishment goes to new units, which every turn appear in large numbers in other theaters and in the reserve! Very few replenishments come to the card. Therefore, if you want to quickly replenish your unit with guns or tanks, then it must be sent to the reserve!

Sorry, i use an online translator :(

(in reply to aMaschina)
Post #: 1280
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/23/2022 10:24:22 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: MemoryLeak

This is so frustrating. I'm on page 83 of the manual. Trying to follow the tutorial scenario. I can't even get past the VP display. I would think that the tutorial would explain everything, hence the name...Tutorial.

What does ET and EG mean? I wonder if the person who labels these things went to a Cryptic school to make sure nothing was obvious? Sorry, I forgot, criticism and honest feelings are discouraged. But from a "just opened the box" point of view, the labels throughout the game are terrible. Sorry I apologize. Honest opinion slipped out again.

Thanks

2 parts to an answer - first every question you have asked (as far as I know) has been answered, some of us have suggested you may be frustrating yourself with how you are approaching the game but that is not to discourage "criticism and honest feelings", simply to hopefully put you in the right direction. For what little its worth, this is, in my personal opinion, distinctly unfair to all who have given you advice

Second, I've just gone over the tutorial section about this. There is a discussion about the difference in per turn/end game VP when discussing map modes, this is cross referenced in the discussion of how to read the VP table, that discussion includes how to read the combat loss element (as the city element was discussed earlier). At a later stage at the start of the T2 discussion there is another section on the difference between per turn and end game VP and how that influences an interpretation of how well you are doing. Of course, outside the tutorial, in the annex the VP screen is discussed and all the abbreviations explained.

Could all of this have been done better - maybe. Could the game have tooltips for every display - possibly but I suspect the game would have been released sometime in 2030 that way.

There really is no call for "Sorry I apologize. Honest opinion slipped out again", when no-one has suggested you should stop asking questions.

If this really is you giving up on the game, thats your choice. I think its a pity as you seem to be very demanding of what you personally have to know before starting to play (and its in game usage that things slot together).

Roger

< Message edited by loki100 -- 1/23/2022 10:25:34 AM >

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 1281
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/23/2022 5:12:56 PM   
aMaschina

quote:

Could be that they were downgraded to Tank Brigades as this happens as the war goes by. Check your Event Log.

Thanks, that seemed to have been the case. I find this mildly annoying, I dont have tank divisions left now, and I cant build any. All I have are tons of tank brigades and even smaller units that I dont have direct control of. How do I get tank divisions back?

quote:

Because you probably told them to go there by unlocking your Support levels. Lock the SUs so they stay in place in the command where you have them. The optimal support depends, best thing to do is have at least 6 SUs in your Army HQs, a mix of artillery, AT, AA and SPGuns/Engineers.

I think it has also to do with this (21.5.6) Support units in an unready status will be
transferred to the applicable High Command headquarters
unit during the first cycle

which might be the case for a lot of soviet support brigades in 1941

quote:

Dont exactly know what you mean.

I do manually rebasing of my AOG's, and this is done via CTRL + drawing a rectangle. When the rectangle becomes large enough you have selected enough airbases. but then i regularly see overcrowded Airbases.

quote:

ORIGINAL: malyhin1517
All replenishment goes to new units, which every turn appear in large numbers in other theaters and in the reserve! Very few replenishments come to the card. Therefore, if you want to quickly replenish your unit with guns or tanks, then it must be sent to the reserve!

Thank you. Although I am refering to 26.3 in the manual, stating:
Using the refit mode will help the chosen units to regain
losses more quickly.
Units in refit mode on any depot will try to fill up to their
MAX TOE percent in every supply sub-segment, drawing
from other depots as well as the one in which they are
located. Units in refit mode located in the same hex as a
national supply source depot (type 4) will have access to
virtually unlimited freight.

Hence I thought being near moscow as the NSS and being in refit mode, plus being one of the only two tank divisions left the TOE should skyrocket?

< Message edited by aMaschina -- 1/23/2022 5:25:00 PM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 1282
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/23/2022 5:17:27 PM   
malyhin1517

quote:

quote:

Thanks, that seemed to have been the case. I find this mildly annoying, I dont have tank divisions left now, and I cant build any. All I have are tons of tank brigades and even smaller units that I dont have direct control of. How do I get tank divisions back?

Instead of divisions, you will be able to create tank corps. This is much better!

(in reply to aMaschina)
Post #: 1283
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/23/2022 5:20:49 PM   
malyhin1517

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: malyhin1517

Thank you. Although I am refering to 26.3 in the manual, stating:
Using the refit mode will help the chosen units to regain
losses more quickly.
Units in refit mode on any depot will try to fill up to their
MAX TOE percent in every supply sub-segment, drawing
from other depots as well as the one in which they are
located. Units in refit mode located in the same hex as a
national supply source depot (type 4) will have access to
virtually unlimited freight.

Hence I thought being near moscow as the NSS and being in refit mode, plus being one of the only two tank divisions left the TOE should skyrocket?

The problem is that at first the weapons are delivered to the troops who are in reserve and in other theaters! And only the rest will go to the map of your units on refit. Therefore, at the beginning of the war, Russian units must be sent to the reserve for restoration. Otherwise, they get only a few soldiers, but without guns and tanks.

(in reply to aMaschina)
Post #: 1284
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/23/2022 5:29:50 PM   
aMaschina

Right now I can only build tank brigades, and regiments, which are afaik off map units.

Is there a way to tell when a specific division becomes buildable, and when a specific piece of equipment starts being produced?

(in reply to malyhin1517)
Post #: 1285
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/23/2022 6:00:24 PM   
malyhin1517

quote:

Right now I can only build tank brigades, and regiments, which are afaik off map units.

Is there a way to tell when a specific division becomes buildable, and when a specific piece of equipment starts being produced?

You can see it in the editor. Perhaps this information is in the manual. The manual for the first part of the game had such information. In principle, there are no special differences here.

(in reply to aMaschina)
Post #: 1286
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/23/2022 6:03:03 PM   
malyhin1517

Tank corps will be available for creation from April 1942.

Post #: 1287
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/23/2022 6:35:48 PM   
FriedrichII

Thanks for the answer Loki!

I have a new question: I am curious about how I can improve CAS missions in 1941 as Axis. I see nearly always little destroyed elements from air support. Is there any possibility to improve this?
I tried changing the ammunition for the airplanes, but I am still not sure which ammo is best for each task. Do I have to change the altitude? What are the recommendations?

Post #: 1288
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/23/2022 8:15:19 PM   
Stamb

quote:

You can click on equipment, in commander's report, and see when is starts and ends production cycle.

For the units themselves I would also like to see such a list. Would be very helpful.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Stamb -- 1/23/2022 8:21:45 PM >

(in reply to aMaschina)
Post #: 1289
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 1/23/2022 8:30:36 PM   
sandman2575

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: sandman2575

its an odd display issue that sometimes comes up if the defender really has 0 cv left, given what they are these would have surrendered.

A question for you is why did you expend all that CPP attacking 2 fortified zones, a single regiment should have been enough and save you a lot of combat power for later

Thank you -- and yes, excellent question! Chalk up my wasteful overuse of firepower to "still learning the game."

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 1290
Page:   <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Quick Questions Thread Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI