Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Week 55

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Week 55 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Week 55 - 8/28/2021 7:52:00 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: RoadWarrior
2. The logistic system 2.0 is worse far worse than 1.0. Again if your open minded and read the AARs 1.0, you can see that with evenly matched players the game goes to 45.
The Russians generally go on the offensive in mid to late 43 ( OMG historical ) not spring of 42. 1.0 43-45 the Germans can put up some kind of a defense.
If your not grinding an axe 2.0 1942 Germany can't put up a defense, because SHC does not have a supply issue. The Russian logistic system was horrible, it took them months to build up enough supplies for offences.
The current system gives all sides the same system, that's not historical.
4. Its clear to everyone ( hello ) its not working. Russia going on the offensive in 1942 after players putting in 100's only to find 2.0 yields unhistorical results, while 1.0 yields historical results.
No player I know is going to love dumping 100's of hours into a game only to find out it is flawed.

The core issue is the logistics system, if not why are there special rules for Germany in 1941. If the logistics system was not the core issue, there would be NO as in NO special rules.

there are no special rules so really not sure what you are referring to.

and believe me, once the Soviets go on the offensive they hit huge logistics problems. As with so much in #2, its more useful to play both sides than just one - gives you a far better handle on how the game really plays.

(in reply to RoadWarrior)
Post #: 331
RE: Week 55 - 8/28/2021 9:22:04 AM   
Isokron

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

See manual section 8.6.1
(always wanted to say that to loki )

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 332
RE: Week 55 - 8/28/2021 10:42:57 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlbertN

There must be a reason for the Soviets to stay and fight, in '41. And fight in kind of desperate way, not going toe to toe with Germany and shanking Axis formations. That reason to me has to be that they -must- protect their factories. If the Soviets run too quick they'll lose production. Forever. Save your gear now or have more gear in the future - call your shots.

If I have to play the Soviets the way Axis players want, then there's no point in playing. Unless the Axis play the way the Soviets want.

As for factories..... https://www.mhistory.net/comrades-we-are-transporting-the-whole-factory-evacuation-of-the-ussr-industry-in-1941/

As early as June 30, 1941, the Soviets established the State Defense Committee, i.e. the organization managing and coordinating the transport of industrial centres to the east, far from the approaching rapid pace of the Germans. The Committee, which had virtually unlimited authority to evacuate people and equipment, used everything that could have helped in any way – mainly the Soviet railway fleet. Even outdated locomotives and wagons in poor technical condition were used in acts of desperation..........

Despite all these difficulties, as well as the organizational chaos and warfare that spread across more and more of the USSR territory, it is estimated that by the end of 1941 more than 1500 large factories were deported, together with millions of workers, engineers and their family members. Nearly 500 factories were moved to the Urals, more than 200 to Western Siberia and 250 to Central Asia. The others were evacuated further east, even off the Pacific coast. Locations rich in raw materials and far from the front were chosen so that they would not be exposed to Luftwaffe air raids.

In the long term, the USSR industry benefited from the evacuation action despite the great chaos that accompanied the whole operation. Powerful industrial centres were created and many factories were built or expanded, such as the factory in Chelyabinsk, where tanks were produced. This factory was so large that the whole city was called “Tank City”. In addition, a more efficient system of work was developed in many factories by tightening ever lower time limits for the production of equipment.

Factory losses were not, and should not be, permanent. If you can expand them, you can also build them.

Sadly, I keep reading about how the Soviets are supposed to adhere to history, but never, unless I bring it up, do I see the same about the Axis. (Like how the Axis can't take Leningrad and Moscow because that isn't historical.)

It's a game. A historically based game. You get the chance to make your own mistakes instead of being forced to repeat the mistakes of history.

As an aside, I've never seen Japanese players in WiTP or WiTP AE write how the Allies don't play 1941 the way they actually did. The Japanese are far harder to play, but that's the side most people play.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 333
RE: Week 55 - 8/28/2021 11:08:00 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Isokron

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

See manual section 8.6.1
(always wanted to say that to loki )

well I'd quibble that they are a significant issue to the discussion - the issue is not axis losses in the winter (which can be readily managed) but the expansion of the Red Army at a time when it was surviving hand to mouth?

(in reply to Isokron)
Post #: 334
RE: Week 55 - 8/28/2021 12:01:39 PM   
Jango32

I think factory evacuations could be improved by starting the moving process only in the next Soviet logistics phase and use rail capacity. Everything caught by the Axis will be lost. How much should be evacuated every turn once the process has started (if bit by bit or all of it at once) and even if it's possible to implement such a system in the game, I don't know.

I also think that units moving from the map into a theatre box should be delayed until the next logistics phase, to prevent instant teleportation and give the opposing side a chance to prevent the unit's evacuation into a TB. In that next logistics phase there could be a check to verify that the unit earmarked for TB transport is on a rail line still connected to the network and there are no enemy units nearby.

< Message edited by Jango32 -- 8/28/2021 1:35:18 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 335
RE: Week 55 - 8/28/2021 1:50:02 PM   
AlbertN

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

To me it's a game - yes - and gameplay >> total historical accuracy.
Otherwise it's a written book.

The risk issue is about survival of the an active gaming community past the initial hype has been there.

I've read an amount actually on War in the Pacific and there are loads of commentaries on how to play - but ultimately the effect is way, way different and cannot be truly compared.

The one that can tinker with their 'economics' to some extents are the economically weak side (Japan).
The 'Land Units' and 'Naval Assets' coming in play are written on both ends, give or take some 'planned' Japanese ships. I am sure the US side will play very differently if suddenly with Admin Points they could build and shape Marines, Infantry and other ground assets like the Soviets can do here or the like.
Japan decline is written nowhere on their end (No Auto-Loss of National Morale due to time passing) - but it factually requires a perpetual attrition of their trained assets and force a replacement with untrained ones.

There are far too many differences between the games to even make a parallel to them, Aurelian - plus one had years of testing, PvP trial and fine tuning.

WITE2 is pratically a baby.
And this AAR here has shown - besides difference of player skill / practice - that the Soviets by early '42 can reach operational capabilities of '44 pretty much.

If one wants a totally adhering 'game' that is historical - then no point in playing Axis.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 336
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Week 55 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI