Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 102 Runway Hits.... shouldn't it stop planes from taking off ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: 102 Runway Hits.... shouldn't it stop planes from taking off ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 102 Runway Hits.... shouldn't it stop planes from t... - 4/12/2021 3:06:30 AM   
rustysi

quote:

The US fleet in Hawaii, if not sufficiently damaged, could quite seriously cause problems to the Japanese expansion plans in Asia....

Wrong. The only vessels that could and did hinder Japan were not even at home (Pearl) when the Japanese came a knockin'. The CV's were not there, the old BB's that were there were not going to have much influence.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 31
RE: 102 Runway Hits.... shouldn't it stop planes from t... - 4/12/2021 3:08:06 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moltrey

Pavel01:
From one (relatively) new player to another - You really need to:
1). Check your expectations baggage at the WITP:AE "door". Tactical thinking and logic breakdowns in a Grand Strategic game rarely pan out like you think they should.
2). Remind yourself every time you sit down and start up the game that you are Admiral Nimitz (more or less). You have VERY little control over outcomes once the hounds of war are released. Which, I should add, is the way it SHOULD BE.
3). Learn to accept that even with AE being the "2nd Edition", the Devs still had to make many decisions as to how detailed and accurate the game could be. Compromises were made. Some things were never finished and never will be.
4). Yes, it stinks, but realize that with all the warts it has, WITP:AE is still by far the best simulation of the Pacific War available.
5). While there are a lot of things in AE I would like to see added or completed, there is no other competition at this level of detail and immersion.

I find it a very rewarding game that requires a hefty sacrifice in time and mindset in order to appreciate fully. You can get there too, just don't let your preconceived notions ruin it for you.

+1!!!!

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 32
RE: 102 Runway Hits.... shouldn't it stop planes from t... - 4/12/2021 9:59:56 AM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

The US fleet in Hawaii, if not sufficiently damaged, could quite seriously cause problems to the Japanese expansion plans in Asia....

Wrong. The only vessels that could and did hinder Japan were not even at home (Pearl) when the Japanese came a knockin'. The CV's were not there, the old BB's that were there were not going to have much influence.

Rustysi is right.

For that reason, some people even switch PH attack to hit Manila and it's considerable submarine fleet. Those old BBs in PH would not cause any harm to IJN as long as Kido Butai is intact.

Sinking those BBs is good points-wise, but strategically they become important only after USN has air superiority and is starting to do amphibious assaults. Then those old slow BBs become great both in Bombardment TFs and in Amphibious TF soaking up Japanese coastal defence fire.

Main disadvantage of those old BBs is the speed. They just cannot keep up with CVs, which need at least 28 knot capable BB. Thus I like to save Prince of Wales and use it as "flak ship", best in that role before No/SoDak fast BBs arrive.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 33
RE: 102 Runway Hits.... shouldn't it stop planes from t... - 4/12/2021 7:52:37 PM   
kbfchicago

Coming to the party late after lots of good advice and reference points. In a quick scroll I did not see anyone mention LCAP. I know I use it frequently and have done so on 8 Dec to help cover a potential 2nd strike. Jump a Sqdn or two (more likely remnants there of after the 1st strike) to one of the undamaged fields on nearby islands and run them as LCAP over Pearl... no airfield limitations. Note if you do this with a "long" haul to a new field later in the game the transfer time delay will keep your LCAP from being in place until the 2nd strike phase of the next day (or in extreme cases the next day) and miss the first strike phase of the day.

If you split your sqdn to do this be sure to check and update the leader of the newly formed remnant so you don't get a low ability/initiative leader who will cower in the bunkers vs. taking to the air when needed.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 34
RE: 102 Runway Hits.... shouldn't it stop planes from t... - 4/12/2021 11:47:24 PM   
fcooke

Going after PH for a second day is going to be costly. AA is more effective and as mentioned before the available US fighters can come up for a fight, the US subs will come hunting, and perhaps the PT boats as well. Not worth it IMO.

(in reply to kbfchicago)
Post #: 35
RE: 102 Runway Hits.... shouldn't it stop planes from t... - 4/13/2021 11:36:46 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

Going after PH for a second day is going to be costly. AA is more effective and as mentioned before the available US fighters can come up for a fight, the US subs will come hunting, and perhaps the PT boats as well. Not worth it IMO.

Not just PTs.

I sortie every last fighting ship that can still fight on day 2.

I also put every last ship not too heavily damaged into TFs on turn 2 so a port strike will mostly whiff.

Hans

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 36
RE: 102 Runway Hits.... shouldn't it stop planes from t... - 4/13/2021 6:16:44 PM   
Lobster

Historically some fighters were dispersed to outlying airfields. Not everything was at Pearl.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: 102 Runway Hits.... shouldn't it stop planes from taking off ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI