Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Similar systems....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Similar systems.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Similar systems.... - 5/11/2021 11:40:36 PM   
WriterJWA

Hi! I'm a (relatively) new player to Command: Modern Ops and I love it. It's been a hugely rewarding experience and I've learned a lot.

One question I have: Is there a game out there that simulates the ground combat element side of the battlefield with the same fidelity and detail as CMO? I remember years ago there were games like Armored Task Force and its predecessor BCT Commander, that offered topographic maps and used formation boundaries and tactical control measures (phase lines, LOAs, LODs, etc...), but those are really dated (and clunky by today's standards). Is there something out there that manages what CMO does for ground operations?

Thanks in advance!

(FYI, I'm very familiar with Command Ops 2 and play it, but I'm hoping for something a little more modern...)

Jay
USMC '98-'06
0311-4341

"Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics."
- Gen. Omar Bradley

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. "
- Gen. George S. Patton
Post #: 1
RE: Similar systems.... - 5/11/2021 11:51:27 PM   
ultradave

Maybe Armored Brigade. For a bit higher level (units represent platoons usually), Flashpoint:Red Storm. Both are Cold War era based.

Dave

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to WriterJWA)
Post #: 2
RE: Similar systems.... - 5/11/2021 11:52:31 PM   
thewood1

The operational art of war might be the closest you'll get. You can do the same time period, global map, and the large units are made up of more granular components. But it has its downside in relation to CMO. Its turn-based, hex-based, and very supply oriented. Its the closest I can think of right now.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to WriterJWA)
Post #: 3
RE: Similar systems.... - 5/12/2021 10:34:45 AM   
Gunner98

Another option for the tactical end would be Combat Mission Shock Force II, the version for Cold War has just been released but I haven't picked it up yet.

Quite realistic for ballistics, armour effects, weapons ground etc. Single vehicle and squad sized units you can play up to about Battlegroup but that is getting unmanageable. 3D with WEGO (60 sec) or Real Time.

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 4
RE: Similar systems.... - 5/12/2021 10:25:20 PM   
WriterJWA

Yeah, I've played hours-on-hours off all these. They all have great attributes. That said, I was hoping for something on the operational side and a bit more "realistic" in terms of planning. Something like Command Ops 2, but modern and with CMO-like bells-and-whistles.

Jay
USMC '98-'06
0311-4341

"Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics."
- Gen. Omar Bradley

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. "
- Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to WriterJWA)
Post #: 5
RE: Similar systems.... - 5/13/2021 10:43:25 AM   
ultradave

Flashpoint then is probably as close as you can come right now. With the use of some of the option boxes about resupply and limited orders, it's pretty detailed and requires some good planning. Not real time obviously but if you've played it a lot you know all this. I can't think of anything out there right now that is better at that level.

Dave

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to WriterJWA)
Post #: 6
RE: Similar systems.... - 5/13/2021 12:15:09 PM   
thewood1

I think the issue with Flashpoint and other games is the very limited timeframe. Again, to match up against CMO, you need somewhat global coverage and a very long timeframe. You also would want something that can scale up and down a little. That's why OAW4 came to mind.

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 7
RE: Similar systems.... - 5/13/2021 6:38:16 PM   
ultradave

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

I think the issue with Flashpoint and other games is the very limited timeframe. Again, to match up against CMO, you need somewhat global coverage and a very long timeframe. You also would want something that can scale up and down a little. That's why OAW4 came to mind.

True. Flashpoint and Armored Brigade are strictly Cold War gone hot games.

Dave

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 8
RE: Similar systems.... - 5/13/2021 7:22:27 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Yeah it's really Flashpoint and Armored Brigade that are the closest, but they are still very limited compared to Command.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Similar systems.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI