Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kudos and fatigue model question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Kudos and fatigue model question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kudos and fatigue model question - 8/28/2003 11:02:37 PM   
benpark

First off, let me commend the makers of Korsun Pocket (and WamR). The game is getting better and better each time I play it. The scale is perfect-East Front on the same scale would be my dream game...ten years of wargaming enjoyment.

The AI is freaking me out as well, the best I have yet seen in a game. Soviets, US and Germans all attack according to historical doctrine, try to avoid pocketing, and try to encircle my troops. Right on!
Looking forward to Normandy-and ya better do Stalingrad-all of it from German advance to the bitter end. Thank you for a game VERY well done.

Awright, enough sap-

How is unit fatigue modelled in the game? I can't find it in the manual. If the turns are 12 hours, and a unit is in constant movement and combat for most of the game time in a large scenario (20+ turns)-shouldn't these troops have a penalty after 2-3 days of movement/combat that can be eradicated with a turns rest?

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
Post #: 1
- 8/29/2003 5:58:20 AM   
Adam Parker

My take is that as with all things morale, there is a lot of abstraction built into the engine on the subject of fatigue too - not a real problem as a balance of abstraction and detail is what makes a game playable and enjoyable imo.

My take on fatigue is that it is built into the replacement system. ie: as for say Panzer Campaigns where fatigue is considered "operational fatigue" - not the "tiredess" of troops, the frequency with which we are able to allocate replacements in KP and in which timed replacements occur, simulates the operational fatigue recovery process.

A unit down to 1 step can be a great liability if not pulled out of the line and is usually useless on the attack too - particularly if its entire division is reduced to a single step per unit. And this is precisely the strategy needing to be employed with highly fatigued units in Panzer Campaigns.

I recently learned the hard way how weak even a division comprising "2 step" units can be. One of the Russian cavalry divisions comprising the 2nd Front, which as we know has three of its regiments at full strength with 2 steps, took positions before the SS Wiking and forgot to dig in. The Wiking and elements of 2 other German divisions immediately swarmed and attacked from three sides for a D2! I've since restarted that game :rolleyes:

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 2
- 8/29/2003 11:38:05 AM   
Gregor_SSG

[QUOTE=benpark]
How is unit fatigue modelled in the game? I can't find it in the manual. If the turns are 12 hours, and a unit is in constant movement and combat for most of the game time in a large scenario (20+ turns)-shouldn't these troops have a penalty after 2-3 days of movement/combat that can be eradicated with a turns rest?[/QUOTE]

We didn't think that fatigue needed to be modelled in KP. The combination of the supply and combat systems, along with the fact that you can't attack and take a replacement in the same turn mean that it's usually impossible for a unit to string too many attacks together.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Kudos and fatigue model question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI