Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie here...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Newbie here... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie here... - 8/31/2021 1:19:02 AM   
Statboy

Bought this game several years ago, but it was too overwhelming and so I put it aside. If the COVID era has taught me anything, it's patience, so I've decided to give it a shot.

I've downloaded the game, the latest official patch, the unofficial patch, a tool to set up the game for a modern computer, my preferred map mod, and some updated scenarios from Andy Mac. And obviously the to-do list by Kull. And then I watched a fantastic series of tutorials and some Let's Plays from Strategy Gaming Dojo on YouTube, which I would recommend to any newbie.

I loaded up the December 8 scenario and messed around and everything is working properly.

But before I really dive deep into it, I was wondering if I'm missing anything. Should I play the December 8 scenario, or would you recommend something different?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Newbie here... - 8/31/2021 3:37:19 AM   
Kull

It's a good place to start. The comment on patience was dead-on. Like a great woman, this game rewards those who take the time to figure her out.

(in reply to Statboy)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbie here... - 8/31/2021 7:58:54 AM   
Orm

Welcome, Statboy, to the forum. And to the amazing world of War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 3
RE: Newbie here... - 8/31/2021 8:22:40 AM   
GetAssista

A good pace to start is Allies in Coral Sea -> Guadalcanal -> Some other larger but limited scenario. Then same as Japan, then Grand Campaign.

This will introduce major game concepts relatively gradually. Although the learning curve is still a cliff

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4
RE: Newbie here... - 8/31/2021 10:24:33 AM   
btd64

If you have any history background on the Pacific War, that will help. The big thing is, be prepared to restart the scenario a few times as you're going to make mistakes. But that's OK. Just don't give up and you will soon learn to love this game. Welcome aboard....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 5
RE: Newbie here... - 8/31/2021 2:20:07 PM   
Kull

There are two schools of thought on whether to start with small scenarios or go right into the grand campaign. If you typically learn new games from small scenarios, then by all means follow that path. It never works for me however, since I don't understand the interface or how things are supposed to link together. Day 1 of Guadalcanal was every bit as confusing as Day 2 of the Grand Campaign. One benefit of the spreadsheet is that it FORCES you to master the interface, as well as the 100's of mundane tasks that are explained in the manual, yet can take forever to learn, one by one. There isn't a single correct method, as it really depends on how you learn best - follow a hand holding step-by-step guide or just launch into the maelstrom and figure it out?

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 6
RE: Newbie here... - 8/31/2021 2:32:53 PM   
Xargun

I would recommend the first time you play the Grand Campaign is to play as Allies against the Japanese AI... The Allies side is a lot more forgiving if you screw up and lose an entire invasion fleet or battle group. If you do that as the Japanese that could be game over - depending when and where.

Xargun

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 7
RE: Newbie here... - 8/31/2021 9:46:25 PM   
Statboy

Thanks all. I've decided to dive right in with a full campaign. I've made it up through parts of Australia on the spreadsheet, so at this rate I look forward to pressing the "end turn" button at some point this weekend

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 8
RE: Newbie here... - 9/1/2021 3:48:03 PM   
RangerJoe

You can press the "end turn" button anytime, the computer will not care. Just remember to save it so you can go back to do what your forgot or otherwise did not do.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Statboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Newbie here... - 9/1/2021 7:10:12 PM   
Andy Mac

Welcome and good luck

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10
RE: Newbie here... - 9/3/2021 7:19:16 AM   
Sardaukar

Good luck!

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 11
RE: Newbie here... - 9/3/2021 8:32:48 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Statboy

Bought this game several years ago, but it was too overwhelming and so I put it aside. If the COVID era has taught me anything, it's patience, so I've decided to give it a shot.

I've downloaded the game, the latest official patch, the unofficial patch, a tool to set up the game for a modern computer, my preferred map mod, and some updated scenarios from Andy Mac. And obviously the to-do list by Kull. And then I watched a fantastic series of tutorials and some Let's Plays from Strategy Gaming Dojo on YouTube, which I would recommend to any newbie.

I loaded up the December 8 scenario and messed around and everything is working properly.

But before I really dive deep into it, I was wondering if I'm missing anything. Should I play the December 8 scenario, or would you recommend something different?

Thanks.

After UV and WITP many years ago finally diving in myself. After AI play about to start my first PBEM game. Patience and persistence for sure as you never stop learning something new with this one. It's a fun journey! And the forum is great!

(in reply to Statboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Newbie here... - 9/5/2021 10:23:44 PM   
ScottyG

Welcome aboard bud!!!

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 13
RE: Newbie here... - 9/8/2021 12:50:37 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

If you have any history background on the Pacific War, that will help. The big thing is, be prepared to restart the scenario a few times as you're going to make mistakes. But that's OK. Just don't give up and you will soon learn to love this game. Welcome aboard....GP

That is definitely the truth. I recall learning the old WitP back in 2004 by start (as the Japanese) over and over and over, adding a few new things each time. The process too awhile, but is definitely worth it in the long run.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Newbie here... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI