Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: This Forum

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: This Forum Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: This Forum - 9/25/2021 9:27:46 PM   
RangerJoe

Remember, they are working on upgrading the forum software. But if nothing else, posting a link to another site can help other gamers and that is allowed.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 61
RE: This Forum - 9/25/2021 9:35:29 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Remember, they are working on upgrading the forum software. But if nothing else, posting a link to another site can help other gamers and that is allowed.

It's not quite the same though. I believe there is an expression about how 90% of the taste of something comes from the eyes.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 62
RE: This Forum - 9/25/2021 10:17:32 PM   
Perturabo

I think another problem is that lots of people who got Matrix games on Steam uses Steam forums.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 63
RE: This Forum - 9/25/2021 10:25:39 PM   
Karri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

I think another problem is that lots of people who got Matrix games on Steam uses Steam forums.

The major problem is that people don't much use these sorts of forums anymore. I've probably mentioned it somewhere else here before as well, but it's more social media/instant messaging platforms today, as well as platforms that are interlinked (like Steam forums you mentioned). Including things like Tiktok that allow short videos and easy to enjoy content. Outdated is the word. Or rather, outdated for now, as this is not the first time this cycle plays out. The forum software itself definitely needs an update, which we are told is in the works.

That said, Matrix Games has a pretty strong community, especially for core games. If you'd talk about stuff like engagement, War in the East 2 definitely has a bigger percentage of total players also active in forums, than say for games like the Call of Duty -series. On that regard, it's the lack of content overall that plays a bigger role. But what are you gonna do, a niche is a niche.

< Message edited by Karri -- 9/25/2021 10:26:42 PM >

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 64
RE: This Forum - 9/25/2021 10:57:48 PM   
gamer78

But some games in Steam has lenghty paragraphs about game guides about any RPG, strategy games discussions and such. Should it be only related instant messaging ? From my understanding Matrix Games do the pricing for Dollar&Euro community only. Practically saying to "no" if you are not in same league. Again I've said previously you never know who will enjoy and and improve your games by community or with new designers.

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 65
RE: This Forum - 9/25/2021 11:29:01 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

quote:

The major problem is that people don't much use these sorts of forums anymore. I've probably mentioned it somewhere else here before as well, but it's more social media/instant messaging platforms today, as well as platforms that are interlinked (like Steam forums you mentioned). Including things like Tiktok that allow short videos and easy to enjoy content. Outdated is the word. Or rather, outdated for now, as this is not the first time this cycle plays out. The forum software itself definitely needs an update, which we are told is in the works.

But it is so damn sterile.

The difference here (and other gaming sites) is not just the interaction which I view as very important, but you also become familiar with people's personalities and such.

Far more interesting. At least to me.

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 66
RE: This Forum - 9/26/2021 1:08:25 AM   
operating

quote:

Armored Brigade forums seems to be dead, sigh. I guess it's because support for the game sort of ended and they are working on the sequel.

quote:

ORIGINAL: lecrop

I have 30 years of experience in forums, many of them as a moderator. I've been seeing a significant drop in forum engagement for a long time, not to mention quality content. Of course, there are always exceptions, but the trend is what it is.

I think it's mostly about everything being in one place and integrated image upload. Like when for example browsing Tumblr, I follow, like 100 active blogs, ranging from personal, through military history, hobby blogs, artist blogs, blogs dedicated to artists of the past, political blogs, etc.
To be honest, the amount of quality posting is similar or greater than on forums. Too bad that lots of hobbyists prefer Instagram despite that it's inferior in almost every aspect.

Forums are usually limited by amount of active users. Like if one has one place for many interests, there are always active people quality-posting and there's a greater user retention.

Can you leave a link here to a blog that has the same core value as this forum, one that is organized like this forum, or close to it? I'm curious as to what you are talking about. Thanks

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 67
RE: This Forum - 9/26/2021 3:02:27 AM   
bayonetbrant

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating

that has the same core value as this forum

curious what everyone would say if they had to list them

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 68
RE: This Forum - 9/26/2021 9:33:54 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

Are we really taking attendance here?

Grump

Snow White and the 6 dwarfs are looking for another character. Have a nice day Orm, can't hide all that talent, it would be missed if it were not there.

Thank you. Always nice to be appreciated.

However, if I were to join an ensemble it would need to hugely beneficial to me. I suppose that makes me a sell-out. But I am not cheap. At least in my humble opinion.

You're not cheap. But are you easy?

Well. I suppose that depends on what it is in regard. And on my mood and so on. I would hope that I am easy, but experience seems to indicate otherwise.

Grump.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 69
RE: This Forum - 9/26/2021 10:04:57 AM   
jbmoore68

I come to Matrix forums for information on wargaming and Matrix Games in particular and these forums do a very good job at providing that information. I very seldom visit any other forums. I don't come here looking for confrontations or arguments, I am sure there are forums that probably welcome that stuff.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 70
RE: This Forum - 9/26/2021 10:47:33 AM   
Piteas

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbmoore68

I come to Matrix forums for information on wargaming and Matrix Games in particular and these forums do a very good job at providing that information. I very seldom visit any other forums. I don't come here looking for confrontations or arguments, I am sure there are forums that probably welcome that stuff.

+1 (with applauses)

(in reply to jbmoore68)
Post #: 71
RE: This Forum - 9/26/2021 11:31:15 AM   
Simulacra53

As a game forum I generally try to limit my posts to the games I am interested in with the occasional side jump.
Sometimes I am drawn to the General Discussion, but imo this is not the right place to discuss the way of the world and where I stand.

I can understand if some people see it differently and as long as Slitherine / Matrix has a laissez faire approach anything goes I guess.

In the end I am here for the war games.

< Message edited by Simulacra53 -- 9/26/2021 11:32:15 AM >

(in reply to -pag-)
Post #: 72
RE: This Forum - 9/26/2021 12:05:23 PM   
Zovs

Steam has a forum?

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 73
RE: This Forum - 9/26/2021 12:21:17 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are we really taking attendance here?

Grump

Snow White and the 6 dwarfs are looking for another character. Have a nice day Orm, can't hide all that talent, it would be missed if it were not there.

Thank you. Always nice to be appreciated.

However, if I were to join an ensemble it would need to hugely beneficial to me. I suppose that makes me a sell-out. But I am not cheap. At least in my humble opinion.

You're not cheap. But are you easy?

Well. I suppose that depends on what it is in regard. And on my mood and so on. I would hope that I am easy, but experience seems to indicate otherwise.

Grump.

Orm, you're not cheap; you're inexpensive relative to the value you provide. Maybe you should maximize your monetization by finding a higher price point (in marketing speak)?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 74
RE: This Forum - 9/26/2021 12:44:43 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Steam has a forum?

Have to confess: I post fairly frequently at Total War's Empire Steam forum (aka ETW) since somewhere in the mid 2000's (Steam's birth), the subject matter is 99% about the game, if I want to get a broader perspective of what is happening in the gaming world I will come right here to this Discussion Forum, although at times get caught up in other threads here like: Nazi Gold Train, personal exploits, pun of the day and other rabbit holes of threads, but on the whole it's about gaming.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 75
RE: This Forum - 9/26/2021 4:52:36 PM   
lecrop

quote:

ORIGINAL: *Lava*
The difference here (and other gaming sites) is not just the interaction which I view as very important, but you also become familiar with people's personalities and such.

Far more interesting. At least to me.

Great point, I fully agree.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 76
RE: This Forum - 9/26/2021 9:54:19 PM   
ncc1701e

+1

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 77
RE: This Forum - 9/26/2021 10:00:54 PM   
gamer78

Steam has a forum yes..

Not only for boomers and or about kids something really international conflicts about wargaming what Matrix forum needs. It is not about present but for about the past. I've lost much interest about wargaming after Ageod stop making games about ignored conflicts. Focus on WW'2 good and well but..

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 78
RE: This Forum - 9/26/2021 10:35:02 PM   
pzgndr

Didn't the Go-Go's have a song for this?

"This forum is our forum
It is so glamorous
Bet you'd post here if you could
And be one of us..."

I'll see myself out...

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 79
RE: This Forum - 9/28/2021 1:06:14 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: gamer78

Steam has a forum yes..

Not only for boomers and or about kids something really international conflicts about wargaming what Matrix forum needs. It is not about present but for about the past. I've lost much interest about wargaming after Ageod stop making games about ignored conflicts. Focus on WW'2 good and well but..

I liked the scope and scale of many of the AGEOD games and as you say ignored conflicts, but had a problem with hands off ai battles, it's different, just not for me, like managing the ebb and flow of a battle. Do have some idea of how much a dev is willing to invest (actual money) into a game, those who have the purse strings call the shots, programmers will program, idea guys will do their idea thing, it's the cost that seems to dictate the final product. A case in Point: I really liked CTGW, it was really on the path of being a gem, but it got fudged up in the patch process, they tried to make it right, but decided to cut their losses and bailed out, it was not from the lack of interest, in the end it was the lack of investment. The money coming in was not justifying future programming, a business decision on Lordz part.

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 80
RE: This Forum - 9/28/2021 10:50:04 PM   
gamer78

Yes CTGW was a good game maybe not developed as much as SC WW1 did. Still Strategic Command World at War maybe more popular with Pacific theatre against SC WW'2 Europe. I think WW'1 is less popular among world wars.

Ageod's problem was both trying to design forgotten conflicts and at the same time battle mechanics (casualties and such)suitable to that time frame. So that unit models ATT&DEF stats did change between ACW (ACW defensive entrenchment levels were overpowered) and Wars in Succession or 30 years Wars. It needed big testing. And naval battles about Wars in Napoleon was problematic.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 81
RE: This Forum - 9/29/2021 4:08:25 AM   
operating

The only AGEOD game I got was TEAW, but as said before, lost interest in it. Strangely enough had got WBTS (War Between The States) by GG and 2 by 3 many years ago when it was first released and found it to be just like today's AGEOD games, WEGO with just ai controlled battles, again where the player was nothing more than a standby watching flashcards. Funny you should mention SCWWI: I bought it recently, played a few turns in Hot-Seat, then went MP, currently getting my arse kicked..

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 82
RE: This Forum - 9/29/2021 7:39:07 AM   
wodin

I thought forum was for chatting and a blog was for reading?

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 83
RE: This Forum - 9/29/2021 12:23:08 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Kinda makes sense what you are saying, never thought of it that way. The only blog I go to is this one by Total War: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/ in the hope they signal development of a game I'd like, it's easier than trying to enter the TW forum (rarely go there). The last time buying a TW game was in 2009 Napoleon Total War (NTW) and before that Empire (ETW) surprisingly I hope that TW does a CW, WWI, or some other forgotten conflict instead of the ___ ___ __ they do now. Other than that no other blogs. Asked for blog suggestions, so far none have come forth. Besides that, like coming here to chat and read others' material and comments, news of the day and try to figure out what makes someone tick, or have commonality with.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 84
RE: This Forum - 9/29/2021 3:33:29 PM   
Simulacra53

quote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 85
RE: This Forum - 9/29/2021 3:34:07 PM   
wodin

quote:

quote:

Kinda makes sense what you are saying, never thought of it that way. The only blog I go to is this one by Total War: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/ in the hope they signal development of a game I'd like, it's easier than trying to enter the TW forum (rarely go there). The last time buying a TW game was in 2009 Napoleon Total War (NTW) and before that Empire (ETW) surprisingly I hope that TW does a CW, WWI, or some other forgotten conflict instead of the ___ ___ __ they do now. Other than that no other blogs. Asked for blog suggestions, so far none have come forth. Besides that, like coming here to chat and read others' material and comments, news of the day and try to figure out what makes someone tick, or have commonality with.

Well there is my review blog https://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.uk/

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 86
RE: This Forum - 9/29/2021 10:57:43 PM   
operating

Thanks, added your site to my favorites..

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 87
RE: This Forum - 9/29/2021 11:17:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

While a lot of discussions have moved to social media, personally I still prefer forums both in terms of the format being better suited to long-form writing and also the easy archiving and searching of information for future reading, not to mention the fact that you see everything, not just what your "feed" thinks you should. Hence, we're in the midst of a huge forum upgrade to make sure it's around for many years to come.

The various issues with time-outs, lag and logins have mainly been due to the growing distance in age between the forum and the rest of our site. The forum upgrade should resolve all of that.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 88
RE: This Forum - 9/29/2021 11:24:48 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

While a lot of discussions have moved to social media, personally I still prefer forums both in terms of the format being better suited to long-form writing and also the easy archiving and searching of information for future reading, not to mention the fact that you see everything, not just what your "feed" thinks you should. Hence, we're in the midst of a huge forum upgrade to make sure it's around for many years to come.

The various issues with time-outs, lag and logins have mainly been due to the growing distance in age between the forum and the rest of our site. The forum upgrade should resolve all of that.

Regards,

- Erik

Good to hear! (or should I write "read"?)
Thanks Erik!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 89
RE: This Forum - 9/30/2021 9:42:27 AM   
lecrop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
The forum upgrade should resolve all of that.

I'm a bit scared about the upgrade, I really like the format of the forum as it currently is. I have no doubt that his old age may be problematic on a practical level, but still... I hope there are not very drastic changes.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: This Forum Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI