Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions about Empire In Arms

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Questions about Empire In Arms Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions about Empire In Arms - 9/8/2003 9:19:09 PM   
Bart Koehler

Good day to everyone. I am sure my name is new to most of you. I am in charge of the Beta testing of Empire In Arms, among others. While I have been reading these forums, I have been absent in commenting. As my role is expanding a bit, I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread to house many of your questions regarding Empire In Arms.

As Marshall indicated in his update, we are busily working on the AI/PbeM component of the game. This is quite an intensive process and is taking up just about all of Marshall's time. So, I want to take the monkey off of his back and put it squarely on mine. He can join the simian zoo that I have been hauling around. ;-) I will be your liason to the inner workings of EiA, at least as far as I can divulge. Matrix has prided itself in the past at having close ties with the gamers that enjoy their products and you have been able to shape the course of some of the games. If not for you, we wouldn't be here.

So, as we are now getting closer to a release, let me know what is on your mind. What can I answer for you? What are your thoughts?

Keep in mind a few things:

1) I am first and foremost trying to get the game to completion, so, I will answer though it will not be instantaneous responses.
2) While we will listen and try to address your concerns and hopes and dreams, things may not make it into the game. Many times, what sounds good on paper does not translate well to computer. Plus, we have to keep things on schedule so timing is critical. If we like something and think it would add value to the game, we will try to incorporate it, though likely in a patch.
3) Let's be nice. No need to get up in arms about a feature or function that is not to your liking. We can't please everyone, though we like to try, that is why our games get delayed. We listen to you, like your ideas, and try to incorporate them. But, I want to make sure we stay focused on our schedule and only slip when it is important to the game. I will try to communicate when this happens.
4) Our testers are doing a fantastic job. Their knowledge of EiA has proven itself time and again. Have no fears that we are going at this blind.
5) Some things I simply cannot divulge at this time. When that happens I will let you know. If you get upset, be upset at me as I am putting myself in the hot seat.
6) Finally, have fun. If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't be here and I doubt you would be to. We are doing our best and if history serves, we do a good job and bringing your favorite games to life.

With that, I have to go feed the monkey that is weighing me down. Let your voices be heard.

Bart
Post #: 1
- 9/9/2003 7:27:21 AM   
Le Tondu

Wow! Real cool Bart. Thanks a zillion.

1. We've heard that the units will be moddable, but what about the map -and menu & splash screens?

2. Is simultaneous movement gone for good or is there still a chance that it might make it?

3. Can we play the game alone against the computer or will we need 6 more players to play the game?

4. We've heard much about PBEM, but what about TCP/IP or internet play?

5. I know that the board EiA covered certain years, but will there be a chance for an extended campaign that starts before 1800 (like with the French Revolutionary Wars) that goes a little past 1815?

6. Is there any Fog of War? Will we have a satellite's view of all nations and know exactly where their forces are?

7. What is it about the game that you like and don't like? (You don't have to answer the second half of that question.)

Many thanks to you.
:)

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Bart Koehler)
Post #: 2
- 9/9/2003 7:34:57 AM   
Black Hat

I take it some changes to combat have been made due to limited interaction of the PBEM thing. How will field combats work, are chit pulls and guard commitment gone in all versions?

On sieges, when a breach is achieved how will Honors of War, Surrender or fight be determined?

Post #: 3
- 9/9/2003 10:20:08 PM   
Nordiska

Anxiously awaiting answer to # 10 and 11.

Post #: 4
Maps - 9/10/2003 11:07:12 PM   
Yorlum

I have seen some intriguing maps for The Americas and the Middle East in other places. Have you considered 'expansion' sets for EiA [possibly as a patch or follow-up product] that would incorporate these?

Post #: 5
winter movement - 10/1/2003 3:43:29 PM   
pfnognoff

All this FOW couded my vision and I forgot to comment on one another important issue raised before in this thread. :)
That is the reduced move in winter. I know it sounds logical to reduce movement in winter but I think the other side of this coin from the original idea must be adddresed, and that would be increased cost for supply. If you can't move your full allowance than you will have lower cost to pay for supply, therefore more money to spend on reinforcements.
In majority of my games the increased cost reduced the movement, but if somebody wants to go for broke, why don't let him, and then kick his but in spring?

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Questions about Empire In Arms Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI