Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The State of Digital Wargames Nov. 2021

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The State of Digital Wargames Nov. 2021 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The State of Digital Wargames Nov. 2021 - 12/5/2021 12:13:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69
BTW, I'm about to play your "Cobra" scenario CfnA gave me months of fun back in the day.

How are you liking it so far?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 211
RE: The State of Digital Wargames Nov. 2021 - 12/9/2021 4:47:46 AM   
beyondwudge

The rules of games are driven by the technology they are played with.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 212
RE: The State of Digital Wargames Nov. 2021 - 12/9/2021 6:54:22 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69
BTW, I'm about to play your "Cobra" scenario CfnA gave me months of fun back in the day.

How are you liking it so far?

I'm really liking it even if I'm still at turn 4. I'm breaking out (I didn't start with the D-Day version because a ballet was the last thing I needed right now) but my guess is that I'm slightly behind the timetable. Anyway, it is clear that it was designed so to take advantage of what TOAW does best.

The big problem I'm having is technical. Until mid-January I'm only able to play on my Macbook Pro using VMWare Fusion to run Windows 10 - and TOAW IV's engine is VERY heavy. I tried some off the solutions suggested in the game's tech forum but no-joy. This is strange, because on the same setup I run, among other things, GG WitE/W and I play those games just fine. I think that part of the problem is that at its core TOAW is a very old program.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 213
RE: The State of Digital Wargames Nov. 2021 - 12/9/2021 10:02:42 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

It doesn't matter what method you use. It doesn't matter, there's nothing to counter the discrepencies introduced with turn based games. The Command Ops system comes about as close as I know to a war game being a model of the real world when large numbers of troops are involved. That system could even be used for a larger scale game using operational level units.

And I completely disagree with your opinion on Movement as part of combat.

Does anyone have information/screenshots of this early 2000s Barbarossa/Road to Moscow real time game? I have heard quite a few rumours about this.

In WiTE2 combat is a function of movement and thus costs MPs. There are two types of combat: Hasty and Deliberate (23.4). Hasty Attacks cost less MPs but you can only attack from a single stack with reduced commitment and support fire. Deliberate Attacks cost more MPs but allow you to select multiple stacks to participate in the attack.

22.2.7. Combat Delay Movement Costs
Whenever ground combat takes place in a hex, a combat delay cost will usually be generated for the hex which will slow down future movement from this hex during the current movement phase.

This combat delay usually accumulates with every battle in the hex up to a maximum of nine points. This combat delay is listed at the bottom of the hex pop up and can be displayed in the hex inside a small movement compass the same colour as the non-phasing player.

As always it must have enough MPs to successfully complete the move or it is not allowed. All combat delays are removed out at the start of the next logistics phase.

Combat delay points are added to a hex as follows:
* 3 Points – Deliberate attack with final odds < 5 to 1.
* 2 Points – Deliberate attack with final odds >= 5 to 1 and < 10 to 1.
* 1 Point – Deliberate attack with final odds >= 10 to 1.
* 1 Point – Hasty attack with final odds < 10 to 1.
* 0 Point – Hasty attack with final odds > 10 to 1 unless there is an enemy unit (including the original defender) still adjacent to the hex. In this case a delay of 1 is still imposed.
* 0 Point if the attack failed but was changed to a scouting battle (23.4.2).

True, but you can still
1) Clear the units that exert ZOC over a certain movement path, then move the next units around the combat delay.
2) Sneak a unit around into the rear using all its MPs (time) to manipulate the retreat paths of the defenders. This is a very important tactic for herding and to create breakthroughs efficiently, but it is completely unrealistic.
3) You can first launch the northern part of a pincer movement, see how well it goes, and then launch the Southern pincer knowing how the other one plays out. IRL you would have to launch both at the same time, not knowing if the other one can reach its required depth.

Regarding the early 2000s Road to Moscow, here is a thread: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3833761

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 12/9/2021 10:09:31 PM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 214
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The State of Digital Wargames Nov. 2021 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI