Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operation Vantage, 1961

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Operation Vantage, 1961 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operation Vantage, 1961 - 11/17/2021 2:51:51 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

Yesterday I finally got around to playing this official scenario. I really enjoyed it, but I think it could a little bit of modernization.

Firstly, since Cargo ops are now integral to Command, implementing them as part of the British objectives would be a nice addition, with needing to land reinforcements in Kuwait from HMS Bulwark and the 3 LSTs.

Second, Perhaps some Iraqi MiG 15s/17s could be added into the fight to increase the challenge a little bit.

Third, the Iraqi Patrol boats seem to just kind of sit in the gulf, I don't know if this is intentional or not, but having them attempt to make an attack on the existing Kuwait anchorage would be nice.

Finally, the Soviets. Their presence is most welcome (especially since they have the only SAMs that could threaten the player), but aside from the two submarines, they also sit tight. I also found it a little odd that their presence isn't addressed in the briefing.

I had the two subs trail one of my Carrier groups on the surface, but no clear path for them to intervene. I thoroughly thrashed the Iraqis, while taking only some losses (Mostly carelessly to AAA on my part).

Briefing only mentions defending Kuwait, perhaps the orders should include strikes on facilities in Southern Iraq in response to Iraqi forces crossing the border.

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 11/17/2021 2:57:25 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Operation Vantage, 1961 - 11/17/2021 4:35:00 AM   
CommandPB

Hi

Thanks for the comments, this was one of my first scenarios for Command, I'll give it a look over and see what I can do

The Stig

No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder
German Field Marshal (1800-1891)

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 2
RE: Operation Vantage, 1961 - 11/17/2021 6:45:41 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Thank you for considering my thoughts on this!

I've found myself really enjoying using early-mid Cold War UK Strike Carrier forces, they're underrepresented in the existing scenarios (official and community) in my opinion. A fun alternative to US Flattops.

In this scenario I particularly enjoyed scrambling strike aircraft for Interdiction and Close Air Support against the Iraqi armored formations bearing down on my defense line.

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 11/17/2021 7:02:16 PM >

(in reply to CommandPB)
Post #: 3
RE: Operation Vantage, 1961 - 11/22/2021 8:36:53 PM   
Jorm

I still play this scenario and as you say enjoy using the Cold War UK CV's and a/c
Be great if this one is updated
Im just getting back into the game after years away and this scenario is always a go to for me.

I did some work on a Aden, Yemen civil war scenario if its still in the community scenario pack, it had a couple of RN CV's in Aden in 1965.

cheers

< Message edited by Jorm -- 11/22/2021 8:40:42 PM >

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 4
RE: Operation Vantage, 1961 - 11/23/2021 8:14:45 AM   
CommandPB

Hi guys
This scenario is being given a complete refit, ie LCVP cargo drops, LST Docking, Para drops etc

The Stig

No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder
German Field Marshal (1800-1891)

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 5
RE: Operation Vantage, 1961 - 11/23/2021 10:24:08 AM   
Para87

Looking forward to it. Always prefer earlier cold war scenarios.

(in reply to CommandPB)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Operation Vantage, 1961 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI