Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Making the last Beta Official

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Making the last Beta Official Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 4:09:46 PM   
Maallon

Wow, is it Christmas already?
What great news! Thanks a bunch!

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 121
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 4:10:18 PM   
12doze12

Christmas really came early for us

Can't express how happy I am to know this game is getting some extra love to the masterpiece it already is.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 122
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 4:14:36 PM   
12doze12

Christmas really came early for us

Can't express how happy I am to know this game is getting some extra love to the masterpiece it already is.

Edit: Oops I think my excitement also produced two replies but it's deserved

< Message edited by 12doze12 -- 12/8/2021 4:15:33 PM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 123
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 5:01:04 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Greetings !

To clarify the scope of the proposed new release for AE. This is what we're looking at:

1 - New/updated scenarios

2 - New/updated map

3 - Updated manual

4 - A few bug fixes (no enhancements)

That said, we welcome all input and will consider all suggestions. But this is NOT planned as a major redo of AE. This effort is primarily to update the game as sold, because that hasn't really happened in many years.

Joe, and whoever else helps, thank you. A few bug fixes will be fantastic. The new/updated map and scenario files will be great, nice to get them all in one place and available to all.

An updated manual will certainly help the new players and probably some of the not so new players.

Again, thanks for the work you and the members of your team will be doing

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 124
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 5:17:44 PM   
Panjack

Fantastic. Thank you all.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 125
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 5:20:17 PM   
821Bobo

(in reply to Panjack)
Post #: 126
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 5:57:22 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Joe, welcome news.

Some questions from me on this:

- Would you be able to share who from the original team is returning for this effort?

- In terms of "new/updated scenarios", what exactly is envisioned for this? User-made scenarios getting "official" badging, reworking of existing scenario set, totally new scenarios (or all three?)

- In terms of changes to the map, what exactly can we expect here? Is this tweaks, a la Andy Mac's recent work adding dot bases, or a comprehensive overhaul? Will the underlying art assets change?

- With regard to bug fixes, is there any consideration for elements of the code that were not implemented? Thinking here of aircraft rockets and the like that are evident in the game data yet not implemented.

Also excited to see "New Game Project Lead", looking forward to when you can tell us more.

I am doing the scenarios so as you would expect I will be polishing the 24 that are more or less done above based on my previous work posted to the forum - its unlikely the abandoned ones will make the cut as its too much work for me to do and get the rest ready

So the list above is the list I am working on for now if anyone has a scenario they have finished especially more small map scenarios happy to look at them I have 24 more or less done just needing polishing and testing

Andy

Thanks Andy, good to see this - gives a sense of the scale of work!

One comment from me - disappointed that the May '42 Start scenario is abandoned.

I wonder if this decision can be revisited. A significant challenge for newer players is managing the initial phase of Japanese conquest and the leg-work that comes with it.

A official scenario starting in May, prior to the Coral Sea, would be a much friendlier opening for newer players (regardless of faction) to adjust to wider campaign dynamics without the pressure of the DEI conquest, but will realistic opportunities for IJ expansion and Allied response (a la Coral Sea and Midway in the following 60 days).

Given the reduced price of AE on the store and influx of newer players, to my mind this would merit some reconsideration as it would synergize well to provide a campaign where the initial setup is significantly less daunting.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 127
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 6:03:11 PM   
Andy Mac

No sorry I simply wont have time if someone esle wants to do it I will happily amend the AI but I dont have time for the primary research

This is about updating the scenarios I have already written not about new ones especially full campaign ones !!!

< Message edited by Andy Mac -- 12/8/2021 6:04:24 PM >

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 128
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 6:09:32 PM   
Andy Mac

It was about 70% done when I abandoned it so if someone wants to pick it up and finish it feel free

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 129
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 6:13:43 PM   
DesertWolf101

Wow - great news!

Thank you all so much!

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 130
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 6:43:10 PM   
Trugrit

Wow.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DesertWolf101)
Post #: 131
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 6:45:01 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I think the updated WITP:AE should ship with the altFont as the default font.

Absolutely agree it is 200x better!

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 132
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 6:45:59 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

No, they were all showing "due 1". I didn't take a screen shot, unfortunately.

Edit - what your comment does suggest is that there are factors at play which might include where the pilots come from, how long they have been on vacation in reserve, possibly even where they are going to. Meaning that the sweeping assertion that you can "secure" no delay merely by using a group button is incorrect. So sometimes you get delays. Sounds WAD to me.

Great discussion guys! You both make good points. Maybe only the Devs can let us know!

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 133
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 6:49:47 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

I have some very positive news for you all today. Some of the original WITP-AE team members have volunteered to work on this final update for WITP-AE and I think you will all end up being very happy with the result. Please let these folks know that their continued work on AE is appreciated!

Joe Wilkerson, who was the project lead for the AE team, will be posting here soon to define the scope of what they plan to do and most of the future communications on this detail-wise will come from him.

Regards,

- Erik

Wow fantastic news!! Thank you Erik and team! A Phoenix rises from the ashes!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 12/8/2021 6:53:51 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 134
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 7:12:26 PM   
Andy Mac

I posted a challenge to the forum in the sub forum

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 135
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 8:00:30 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

Joe, welcome news.

- Would you be able to share who from the original team is returning for this effort?

- In terms of "new/updated scenarios", what exactly is envisioned for this? User-made scenarios getting "official" badging, reworking of existing scenario set, totally new scenarios (or all three?)

- In terms of changes to the map, what exactly can we expect here? Is this tweaks, a la Andy Mac's recent work adding dot bases, or a comprehensive overhaul? Will the underlying art assets change?

- With regard to bug fixes, is there any consideration for elements of the code that were not implemented? Thinking here of aircraft rockets and the like that are evident in the game data yet not implemented.

Also excited to see "New Game Project Lead", looking forward to when you can tell us more.

Obviously it will be Andy Mac's updated scenarios and Andrew Brown's updated maps as they are two of the original Devs still updating the game and I could not agree more with this decision.

I just have one suggestion to throw in a wrench. Could Andrew Brown and MakeeLearn team up on the map? If it was Andrew Brown's map data and MakeeLearns map art that would be heaven. As much as I love and appreciate Andrew Brown's work and contributions his maps are more difficult to read in my opinion. Lots of yellows that blend in together. MakeeLearns map is what helped me get back into the game as far as being able to see things better and I think it would do the same for others. It reduces complication and clutter greatly and the terrain and units are easy to see and distinguish.

MakeeLearn's beautiful Bellum Pacifica map art is the gold standard in my opinion. It is so beautiful and easy to read. You see most YouTubers using his map: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4151200

To compare the readability I am posting two China pics side by side. Anyway just a suggestion. Either way I am happy and grateful and if not hopefully MakeeLearn will come back and update his maps to Andrew Brown's again! Cheers to all of you contributors and creators!

BELLUM PACIFICA:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 12/8/2021 8:26:56 PM >

Post #: 136
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 8:01:15 PM   
Tanaka

ANDREW BROWN:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 12/8/2021 8:28:07 PM >

Post #: 137
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 8:02:07 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

Joe, welcome news.

Obviously it will be Andy Mac's updated scenarios and Andrew Brown's updated maps as they are two of the original Devs still updating the game and I could not agree more with this decision.

I just have one suggestion to throw in a wrench. Could Andrew Brown and MakeeLearn team up on the map? If it was Andrew Brown's map data and MakeeLearns map art that would be heaven. As much as I love and appreciate Andrew Brown's work and contributions his maps are more difficult to read in my opinion. Lots of yellows that blend in together. MakeeLearns map is what helped me get back into the game as far as being able to see things better and I think it would do the same for others. It reduces complication and clutter greatly and the terrain and units are easy to see and distinguish.

While MakeeLearn's beautiful Bellum Pacifica map art is the gold standard in my opinion. It is so beautiful and easy to read. You see most YouTubers using his map: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4151200

To compare the readability I am posting two China pics side by side. Anyway just a suggestion. Either way I am happy and grateful and if not hopefully MakeeLearn will come back and update his maps to Andrew Brown's again! Cheers to all of you contributors and creators!

I will vote no, I like the original artwork and I am used to it. Artwork can be updated with no problems by the user.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 138
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 8:02:27 PM   
Tanaka

Double Post Delete.

Erik can we get the Matrix Forums updated and fixed too!? The laggggggggg and crashes

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 12/8/2021 8:24:52 PM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 139
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 8:02:46 PM   
Nomad

sorry, double post

< Message edited by Nomad -- 12/8/2021 8:04:16 PM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 140
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 8:32:13 PM   
actrade

As a long time WitE, WiTW and WiTE2, I just bought this game and am nearing the end of Dojo's tutorial. This great news as I was getting ready to do Andy's AI updates...now I think I just wait :)

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 141
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 8:37:25 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: actrade

As a long time WitE, WiTW and WiTE2, I just bought this game and am nearing the end of Dojo's tutorial. This great news as I was getting ready to do Andy's AI updates...now I think I just wait :)

If you have not played against the original AIs, then you should try them.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 142
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 8:47:43 PM   
actrade

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Lol, Oh I will when I finally start a game. Can I ask why you recommend the original? I would think that Andy's updates would be superior?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 143
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 8:49:28 PM   
Maallon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

quote:

quote:

Joe, welcome news.

While MakeeLearn's beautiful Bellum Pacifica map art is the gold standard in my opinion. It is so beautiful and easy to read. You see most YouTubers using his map: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4151200

I will vote no, I like the original artwork and I am used to it. Artwork can be updated with no problems by the user.

+1

Also I think the original map art is easier to read than the Bellum Pacifica, which map to use should ultimately be the player's decision and can be changed easily.

< Message edited by Maallon -- 12/8/2021 8:50:24 PM >

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 144
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 9:17:18 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

Joe, welcome news.

The use of "re-master" and the connotations associated with it suggested otherwise.

quote:

just have one suggestion to throw in a wrench. Could Andrew Brown and MakeeLearn team up on the map? If it was Andrew Brown's map data and MakeeLearns map art that would be heaven. As much as I love and appreciate Andrew Brown's work and contributions his maps are more difficult to read in my opinion. Lots of yellows that blend in together. MakeeLearns map is what helped me get back into the game as far as being able to see things better and I think it would do the same for others. It reduces complication and clutter greatly and the terrain and units are easy to see and distinguish.

MakeeLearn's beautiful Bellum Pacifica map art is the gold standard in my opinion. It is so beautiful and easy to read. You see most YouTubers using his map: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4151200

I'm inclined to agree with the status quo here. The original map works well and is familiar, and maps are easy enough to swap out.

There's also a large subjective element to map choice. Bellum Pacifica makes it, in my eyes, difficult to distinguish between different terrain types. The distinctions between terrain types (especially between clear and cultivated) is much clearer in the original map to my eyes.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 145
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 9:48:56 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Lol, Oh I will when I finally start a game. Can I ask why you recommend the original? I would think that Andy's updates would be superior?

The original actually has more than one AI script the new ones only have the one. There is a way to remove all but one script from the original so you can play each one. But you have to start a new game each time.

― Julia Child

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 146
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/8/2021 10:13:27 PM   
Moltrey

Well, what a Christmas gift for us! Thanks Erik and all the guys volunteering. You are about to make a bunch of guys very happy.
Looking forward to doing some beta testing towards the effort.

RangerJoe: I thought AndyMac said his newer AI still has multiple choices (don't recall how many) but it picks one at random? Maybe I am not remembering it correctly.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 147
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/9/2021 12:28:04 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moltrey

Well, what a Christmas gift for us! Thanks Erik and all the guys volunteering. You are about to make a bunch of guys very happy.
Looking forward to doing some beta testing towards the effort.

RangerJoe: I thought AndyMac said his newer AI still has multiple choices (don't recall how many) but it picks one at random? Maybe I am not remembering it correctly.

No, the new ones only have one but the older scenarios have more than one. That is if I recall correctly.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 148
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/9/2021 2:24:18 AM   
HansBolter

I vote against making any map the default one that does not have artwork that provides visual reference for the hex data terrain type of the hexes.

It isn't that I am in love with the original map artwork. I have been staring at it long enough now to be tired of it.

However, I am not aware of any of the lovely after market maps that provide hex data terrain type artwork for the hexes.

If any of you map mod savvy players can point me toward one I will certainly give it a try.

Hans

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 149
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/9/2021 2:43:21 AM   
RangerJoe

The problem with changing the map art is that all of the pictures would have to be redone. Leave the map art the way that it is but point to where people can make changes if they so desire.

― Julia Child

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Making the last Beta Official Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI