Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 1:51:11 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

What is an "Elsa?" Are people using that term as an insult or to insinuate an insulting behavior? Or is it a suggestion that they become a fierce predator and prey on their enemies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0NQh3pPv7o

Elsa in "Frozen" is a Princess who has had to keep the secret of her power hidden all her life. Events lead to her accidentally using that power and she flees the palace to live on her own. She decides not to treat her powers as a handicap, but an asset. At that point she breaks into the song "Let It Go" as she can freely unleash the power for the first time.

So pulling an Elsa - would be letting go of the negative view and letting things be as they are.

OT, but +1 internet points to you for unintentionally hilarious post of the day.

The funny part is having to explain a relatively ubiquitous pop culture reference. I don't even have kids and have never seen the movie (or... hardly any movies these past 10 years) and even I knew it .

On topic, and as to why I find this to be an extremely good thing - I'm looking forward to actually being able to report problem posters as things come up in the future. I'm not interested in necro-moderation. People who cause problems will either continue to do so and can now be reported with an expectation that action will be taken (win), or they'll stop their problematic behavior and play by the rules again (better win).

I knew that there was a Disney movie "Frozen" but I never saw it nor researched anything on what it is/was about. I don't have cable TV here since for the cost of that and internet would be beer and pizza money for a month - even just the plain cable could keep me in beer and pizza for a month. I know where I am better able to spend my money, especially with free Wifi (no, no spell checking so it does not come out WIFE!)

But if you get a chance to see Born Free and have not done so, I suggest that you watch it.

But at least I got someone to laugh so the day is/was not wasted . . .

Attachment (1)

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 31
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 2:47:25 AM   
dr.hal

Sadly I have to admit, I had NO idea what an Elsa was or is. I guess I really am old. Sigh.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 32
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 3:33:39 AM   
Wirraway_Ace

Thanks, Erik.

I follow your logic and support the approach.

Alfred, in all my interactions, was both precise and polite, though there were plenty of instances where he wasn't to others--polite that is--he was always precise. I have little doubt as to why this occurs. There are certain people that you don't challenge. My father was that type: a surgeon who had to be supremely confident and competent every day of his adult life. My first company commander was a similar personality: wicked smart with a sharp tongue. If you want to get along with this type of person, and they are absolutely worth the effort, you don't challenge them. Instead, you talk less (or write less), ask good questions and listen (or read). We have a lot of this type on this forum. I could name ten without thinking very hard. My philosophy is to argue less and read more. I don't always agree with them, but that doesn't matter. The breadth and depth of their knowledge is astounding. As for Alfred, I hope he will rejoin the forums. If not, I understand. I have all the guides he sent me over the past ten years and I prefer to remember him that way.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 33
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 3:36:16 AM   
mattj78

Well done Erik you have my 100% support with the actions you took with Alfred who was out of control for a long time as i previously posted all he needs to do is follow the rules its that simple

Post #: 34
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 3:42:59 AM   
Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wirraway_Ace
I have all the guides he sent me over the past ten years and I prefer to remember him that way.

Could you throw all those into Word and post it here?

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 35
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 3:50:51 AM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

quote:

I have all the guides he sent me over the past ten years and I prefer to remember him that way.

With a little editing, yes. There are some Alfredisms amongst the narrative.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 36
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 3:55:49 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

quote:

Those things are called features . . .

― Julia Child

Post #: 37
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 4:13:36 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

There are certain people that you don't challenge. My father was that type: a surgeon who had to be supremely confident and competent every day of his adult life. My first company commander was a similar personality: wicked smart with a sharp tongue. If you want to get along with this type of person, and they are absolutely worth the effort, you don't challenge them. Instead, you talk less (or write less), ask good questions and listen (or read). We have a lot of this type on this forum. I could name ten without thinking very hard. My philosophy is to argue less and read more. I don't always agree with them, but that doesn't matter. The breadth and depth of their knowledge is astounding. As for Alfred, I hope he will rejoin the forums. If not, I understand. I have all the guides he sent me over the past ten years and I prefer to remember him that way.

Well said, Wirraway Ace. I was going to write something along these lines and I'm glad I waited as I wouldn't have said it as well as you have.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Post #: 38
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 4:51:37 AM   
Zovs

quote:

Thank you kindly.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

Post #: 39
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 6:28:55 AM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

A double post thanks to an ASP 500 . . .

Matrix are stat-padding posts for their ASAP 1,000,000 POSTS campaign,

< Message edited by Yaab -- 1/19/2022 8:57:52 AM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 40
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 6:46:05 AM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

The question remains who owns Alfred posts, especially his long detailed guides?

I bet you're fun at funerals.

You and Erik Rutins seem to be the most articulate posters here, but you are strangely evasive about this issue. I don't know how it works under USA or English law, but some of Alfred's posts, especially his guides, could be argued to be copyrighted material under the Polish law. Matrix Games have been strict about posting copyrighted material ( Chemkid). I just want to know who legally owns our posts here once we are deplatformed.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 1/19/2022 6:48:04 AM >

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 41
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 7:35:14 AM   
Sardaukar

Disclaimer/rules does not say it. Just that persons are responsible of their posts. And shall not post copyrighted material.

That could be interpreted as forum posts being "free to use" since copyrighted material (even by yourself owned) is not allowed...

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 1/19/2022 8:24:31 AM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 42
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 8:26:12 AM   
the1henson

I have read these forums and played this game for many, many years.

I’ve only recently started joining the conversation. A big part of the reason I chose now to do so has been evidence that the forum is no longer being faced with a benign neglect, the owners of this space ending its long period of self regulation - or lack thereof.

I’ve been a forum moderator, for a raucous military forum back when these venues were still popular. I’m no snowflake (very few submariners are) but this place can be every bit as unfriendly to newcomers as is the game itself. Being insulted by some self appointed know it all shouldn’t be a necessary step to understanding this game’s intricacies, even if that person is usually correct. Alfred isn’t alone in this behavior by the way. There’s no telling how many more players there would be if the so-called stupid questions weren’t met with such overbearing disdain.

Being a forum moderator sucks. It’s one of those roles where you’re guaranteed to piss off the loudest folks, so the best you can do is try to be consistent and fair. You’ll fail at both of those, but most people see the effort and respect it.

Count me among them.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 43
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 8:57:32 AM   
Edmon

quote:

ORIGINAL: the1henson

I’ve only recently started joining the conversation. A big part of the reason I chose now to do so has been evidence that the forum is no longer being faced with a benign neglect, the owners of this space ending its long period of self regulation - or lack thereof.

I’ve been a forum moderator, for a raucous military forum back when these venues were still popular. I’m no snowflake (very few submariners are) but this place can be every bit as unfriendly to newcomers as is the game itself. Being insulted by some self appointed know it all shouldn’t be a necessary step to understanding this game’s intricacies, even if that person is usually correct. Alfred isn’t alone in this behavior by the way. There’s no telling how many more players there would be if the so-called stupid questions weren’t met with such overbearing disdain.

Being a forum moderator sucks. It’s one of those roles where you’re guaranteed to piss off the loudest folks, so the best you can do is try to be consistent and fair. You’ll fail at both of those, but most people see the effort and respect it.

Count me among them.

Thanks for coming out from lurking and taking the time to write this :).

(in reply to the1henson)
Post #: 44
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 11:54:10 AM   
actrade

quote:

Thanks, Erik.

Alfred, in all my interactions, was both precise and polite, though there were plenty of instances where he wasn't to others--polite that is--he was always precise. I have little doubt as to why this occurs. There are certain people that you don't challenge. My father was that type: a surgeon who had to be supremely confident and competent every day of his adult life. My first company commander was a similar personality: wicked smart with a sharp tongue. If you want to get along with this type of person, and they are absolutely worth the effort, you don't challenge them. Instead, you talk less (or write less), ask good questions and listen (or read). We have a lot of this type on this forum. I could name ten without thinking very hard. My philosophy is to argue less and read more. I don't always agree with them, but that doesn't matter. The breadth and depth of their knowledge is astounding. As for Alfred, I hope he will rejoin the forums. If not, I understand. I have all the guides he sent me over the past ten years and I prefer to remember him that way.

Much of what you say also applies to sociopathic despots. They also were not challenged and the world paid the price. I will ALWAYS challenge authority.

Post #: 45
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 2:21:38 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: actrade

Much of what you say also applies to sociopathic despots. They also were not challenged and the world paid the price. I will ALWAYS challenge authority.

On a knowledge-based forum, you don't lose anything be simply reading what others post and choosing not to be upset if you don't like the content or the word choice. Arguing can sometimes lead to useful insights, but often is just a waste of your time and risks further offense. On a forum, thousands of kilometers from the other person, you are in control and "words are wind." <from George R.R. Martin's works of fiction, but a useful aphorism>

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 46
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 2:35:37 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

On a knowledge-based forum, you don't lose anything be simply reading what others post and choosing not to be upset if you don't like the content or the word choice. Arguing can sometimes lead to useful insights, but often is just a waste of your time and risks further offense. On a forum, thousands of kilometers from the other person, you are in control and "words are wind." <from George R.R. Martin's works of fiction, but a useful aphorism>

Remember also that even if the language used here is English, that there are differences in the usage and meanings of some terms. What may be a polite notice in one version may imply an especially egregious assault in another version.

― Julia Child

Post #: 47
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 2:51:31 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: the1henson

Count me among them.

Nicely put. I was at Kings Bay amongst a bunch of submariners last Thursday. Hats off to the crews on those boats.

To me, the key challenge a moderator faces on a knowledge-based forum is how to manage the extremes. In all the walks of life, those who are exceptional tend not to suffer fools, and because they are exceptional, most of the rest of us appear as fools, particularly the beginner. You can throttle the exceptional experts, but then the quality of the knowledge exchange is lowered. So how does a moderator keep the expert's ire at bay and build-up the beginner? How does the forum help beginners navigate conflicting expert opinions? Be polite and have a thick skin, the yin and yang of human interactions, and don't argue content, judge it on its merits.

(in reply to the1henson)
Post #: 48
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 2:57:43 PM   
Kull

I've stayed out of the Alfred discussion, but it is dispiriting. Whichever side one chooses to back, there's plenty of ammunition to support your case. I won't waste your time repeating any of it, because when you weave it all together, what you have is a Gordion Knot of wrong and right.

The Gordion Knot

Maybe the solution is that simple. Rather than demand that Alfred "sign zee confession", just send him an email with the forum rules, tell him that they apply to everyone, and lift his ban. Honestly, even if he did agree to abide by them first, what would be the reaction if he did not? Why he'd be subject to the same rules as everybody else. And that would be true whether he agreed ahead of time - or did not. It's not like there's some sort of secret double probation which is meted out to those who "sign" and then break the rules, right? Maybe there's one step less in the pre-punishment process, but that's it.

And why would Matrix do it in this case? Look at this thread. It exists because Erik has acknowledged two failures - this forum was largely unmoderated for years, leading to the growth of many of the bad behaviours seen on both sides of the Alfred Divide. And Erik's handling of Alfred's case was not in strict accordance with the rules. I'm not pointing any fingers here, but there are certainly grounds for moderation - in the best sense of that word.

Please cut the knot Erik, and then close the thread and we all move on.

Post #: 49
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 3:19:27 PM   
Edmon

quote:

In all the walks of life, those who are exceptional tend not to suffer fools, and because they are exceptional, most of the rest of us appear as fools, particularly the beginner.

I honestly disagree with this statement, in that I have worked with some very exceptional people and frankly, sometimes poor behaviour is tolerated because of some feeling that the "trade off is worth it". But it never is, because drags down the whole team, it puts people off joining the team and such behaviour only ever seems to get worse over time. It's also not right to look down on people just because they seemingly don't know something that is obvious to you.

When I was a Senior Engineer, the staff used to joke that I was "a Wizard" that somehow knew magic. But I used to say, everything is easy when you know how to do it. We had plenty of talented staff who couldn't open a picture file, use winZIP, or write an email (back when these things were new to many). But if you wanted to know what the exact planning laws were that'd allow you to put a radio tower in a field, what the height needed to be and the complex math that allows you to link sites with Microwave dishes over huge distances and align them perfectly... they knew exactly how it could be done and they made it look easy.

I was at one point considered by many people to be one of the worlds best, if not the best BattleTech player. Many of my discoveries totally changed the meta of the game, forever. I spent most of my time writing tutorials, explaining my testing methods, practice methods, etc. Guides that are still on the BT reddit even now. Being the best and "not suffering fools" are two entirely separately things and the latter is absolutely a choice, if you ask me.

Everyone is new to something.

< Message edited by Edmon -- 1/19/2022 3:21:17 PM >

Post #: 50
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 3:32:17 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull
Maybe the solution is that simple. Rather than demand that Alfred "sign zee confession", just send him an email with the forum rules, tell him that they apply to everyone, and lift his ban. Honestly, even if he did agree to abide by them first, what would be the reaction if he did not? Why he'd be subject to the same rules as everybody else. And that would be true whether he agreed ahead of time - or did not. It's not like there's some sort of secret double probation which is meted out to those who "sign" and then break the rules, right? Maybe there's one step less in the pre-punishment process, but that's it.

Just to be clear, I don't think he accepts any responsibility, but there was no requirement of that for the ban to end. The only requirement was to agree to follow the forum rules going forward. Skipping that would be making an exception in this case.

With that said, you may be right about cutting the Gordian knot in this case. We've given a lot of other folks a second chance in this turning of the page, why not Alfred? If he did come back and continued as before, he'd shortly earn another ban, but at least he'd have a chance to benefit from the extra information about the return of moderation to the forum, as others have.

quote:

And why would Matrix do it in this case? Look at this thread. It exists because Erik has acknowledged two failures - this forum was largely unmoderated for years, leading to the growth of many of the bad behaviours seen on both sides of the Alfred Divide. And Erik's handling of Alfred's case was not in strict accordance with the rules. I'm not pointing any fingers here, but there are certainly grounds for moderation - in the best sense of that word.
Please cut the knot Erik, and then close the thread and we all move on.

I'm going to think over this today, but thank you for the suggestion.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 51
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 3:38:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edmon

quote:

In all the walks of life, those who are exceptional tend not to suffer fools, and because they are exceptional, most of the rest of us appear as fools, particularly the beginner.

I honestly disagree with this statement, in that I have worked with some very exceptional people and frankly, sometimes poor behaviour is tolerated because of some feeling that the "trade off is worth it". But it never is, because drags down the whole team, it puts people off joining the team and such behaviour only ever seems to get worse over time. It's also not right to look down on people just because they seemingly don't know something that is obvious to you.

I'll just add my personal experience here. I've worked with a lot of folks over the years, some very easy to work with and generous with their knowledge and experience. Some others were very difficult, very closed-minded to input and very sure in their own superiority and then there is a whole range in between.

None of us are perfect and we all have flaws and we all make mistakes.

I agree that those who seek to give of their knowledge and experience and help others generally lift up a team more and also often achieve more success over time. However, even for those who often fall short of that, or to whom it comes less naturally, the effort in trying to be helpful to others is worth the rewards. In my experience, the more generous you are in your dealings with others, the more you will receive in return both in terms of benefits for your own character and the kind reciprocal actions of others who appreciate your help.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 52
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 3:50:29 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

quote:

I'll just add my personal experience here. I've worked with a lot of folks over the years, some very easy to work with and generous with their knowledge and experience. Some others were very difficult, very closed-minded to input and very sure in their own superiority and then there is a whole range in between.

None of us are perfect and we all have flaws and we all make mistakes.

I agree that those who seek to give of their knowledge and experience and help others generally lift up a team more and also often achieve more success over time. However, even for those who often fall short of that, or to whom it comes less naturally, the effort in trying to be helpful to others is worth the rewards. In my experience, the more generous you are in your dealings with others, the more you will receive in return both in terms of benefits for your own character and the kind reciprocal actions of others who appreciate your help.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik,

completely agree.

Mike

Post #: 53
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 3:52:21 PM   
actrade

quote:

Nicely put. I was at Kings Bay amongst a bunch of submariners last Thursday. Hats off to the crews on those boats.

To me, the key challenge a moderator faces on a knowledge-based forum is how to manage the extremes. In all the walks of life, those who are exceptional tend not to suffer fools, and because they are exceptional, most of the rest of us appear as fools, particularly the beginner. You can throttle the exceptional experts, but then the quality of the knowledge exchange is lowered. So how does a moderator keep the expert's ire at bay and build-up the beginner? How does the forum help beginners navigate conflicting expert opinions? Be polite and have a thick skin, the yin and yang of human interactions, and don't argue content, judge it on its merits.

I could not disagree more with this sentiment and I'll offer you proof. I have a son in law who is simply brilliant. He scored perfect on his SAT test and graduated from Purdue University with a 4.0 GPA in biomedical engineering. I'm sure we all know of someone like that, but here's the point. This young man (34 now) is a director and fourth in line at at a Fortune 500 company based in Orange Co. CA. He is far and away the youngest executive at this company to the point where he really needs to age before he can move much higher. He has been told he's being groomed as a potential CEO and it doesn't hurt that he's a good looking, 6'2" blond haired, blue-eyed dude either.

However, you would never, ever know any of this by talking to him. I have never heard him talk about his accomplishments (I got all of the data from my daughter). I live in a rural part of Indiana and this young man goes on my annual walleye fishing excursion to northern MN every year. Some of the people on the trip are for lack of a better description "good ol' boys" and they absolutely love him. He is a great listener and shows interest in other people's stories and never, ever interjects as a know-it-all type even though he certainly could. His outward demeanor is that of a "regular guy," however he is by any definition exceptional, yet it's his ability to relate to everyday people that is proving to be the key to his success. There are plenty of educated idiots with delusions of grandeur in the world, those that "tend not to suffer fools," but most of them aren't wildly successful in life as their lack of people skills lead to roadblocks they simply cannot overcome.

Post #: 54
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 3:57:17 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

Being the best and "not suffering fools" are two entirely separately things and the latter is absolutely a choice, if you ask me.

Sure, Edmon,

you describe the best case. I just don't find it all that prevalent. "Nobody gets all God's gifts," is how I have heard it put.

(in reply to Edmon)
Post #: 55
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 4:03:33 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

...those that "tend not to suffer fools,"...aren't wildly successful in life as their lack of people skills lead to roadblocks they simply cannot overcome.

I agree with you. But that does not make their expertise less valuable. Sometimes the guy or gal you really need to help solve the problem is a difficult personality.

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 56
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 4:12:52 PM   
RangerJoe

I have taught some things over the years but I did not belittle anyone because of their lack of knowledge. As my stepmother once put it, she thought that a woman did not know much but she was the one who taught her the easiest way to fold fitted sheets.

That said, you have to know the audience that you are trying to help learn. A person could list the 5 different steps needed to do something but if they are confused because they don't know those steps very well, then you may have to break it down into 21 different substeps, as an example of what I did one time. My classmates told me that they learned more in that two hours from me than they did the instructor who was gone. The only reason why I was there and already knew how to do it was that I was a student worker and learned it from my boss.

As far as RTFM goes, that is Read The Field Manual. That is a very useful thing to do and do so more than once - especially when still learning the game.

As far as Alfred goes, I also agree with cutting the knot and inviting him to return - if he wants to do so.

― Julia Child

Post #: 57
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 5:37:15 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

Necro-moderation, going back through old threads and posts and then taking action, is a bad idea for many reasons and through many examples in other forums as well as back in the distant past here has only caused more problems than it has solved.

Out of interest, what's the criteria for a thread/post to be "old" and beyond action?

quote:

There's a lot more in terms of moderation actions than what you've seen. Many PMs, e-mails, warnings on other forums, etc. In terms of this forum, requests for moderation are the best way to make sure we see something. The last two such resulted in two moderation actions. Both of those ended up causing a lot of community shock, which is why we're here discussing.

Happy to concede that there's much unseen, but there's no denying there's been a problem here for a while, and the criteria on what is going to be actioned and what isn't currently feels appears quite arbitrary.

quote:

There has been some moderation, but it has been light and it was mainly on the shoulders of one volunteer community moderator who shouldn't have had all that as his responsibility. I take your point and take personal responsibility for that. However, that's changing and I've been trying to explain that.

Your candour is appreciated.

quote:

Thanks, Erik.

This is an interest comment, and certainly offers a different perspective than what we've previously seen.

A few comments on this.

The absence of politeness does not equate to the presence of rudeness. The best term I've heard for Alfred's explanations is that they were clinical. That's still not rudeness.

Consider, for example, certain perspectives towards the American habit of asking "How are you?" in an everyday setting (e.g a member of staff at shop to a customer at the checkout). For the majority of the Anglosphere, this is a polite conversational tool to facilitate small talk.

An interpretation from another perspective may be that this is actually an intrusive (or, perhaps, rude) question, coming from a stranger with no genuine interest in what your current emotions are.

I'd repeat the same point with regard to sharp language. Being critical does not equate to rudeness.

This, I feel, is a key point that has been exceptionally overlooked.

quote:

quote:

quote:

The question remains who owns Alfred posts, especially his long detailed guides?

I bet you're fun at funerals.

You and Erik Rutins seem to be the most articulate posters here, but you are strangely evasive about this issue. I don't know how it works under USA or English law, but some of Alfred's posts, especially his guides, could be argued to be copyrighted material under the Polish law. Matrix Games have been strict about posting copyrighted material ( Chemkid). I just want to know who legally owns our posts here once we are deplatformed.

To be candid, I'm not evasive, I'm downright ignorant as to the legal aspects involved. Nor am I going to pretend to any knowledge of the topic. All I will say is you should seek professional legal advice than trying to crowdsource it online.

I made the above comment as a sarcastic remark as the possessory tone is discordant with the wider discussion.

quote:

quote:

The key issue behind Alfred's perceived rudeness is the inability to separate being critical of the idea and being critical of the person.

quote:

When I was a Senior Engineer, the staff used to joke that I was "a Wizard" that somehow knew magic. But I used to say, everything is easy when you know how to do it. We had plenty of talented staff who couldn't open a picture file, use winZIP, or write an email (back when these things were new to many). But if you wanted to know what the exact planning laws were that'd allow you to put a radio tower in a field, what the height needed to be and the complex math that allows you to link sites with Microwave dishes over huge distances and align them perfectly... they knew exactly how it could be done and they made it look easy.

I'll warrant that within that role, when you made a proposal or a suggestion that had flaws or issues inherent in it, those were pointed out, and critique provided where they were felt deserved.

I'll also raise this and suggest that this was never taken as a personal slight, nor the comments or critiques reflected on you in a personal capacity.

quote:

I was at one point considered by many people to be one of the worlds best, if not the best BattleTech player. Many of my discoveries totally changed the meta of the game, forever. I spent most of my time writing tutorials, explaining my testing methods, practice methods, etc. Guides that are still on the BT reddit even now. Being the best and "not suffering fools" are two entirely separately things and the latter is absolutely a choice, if you ask me.

That does make me wonder if you'd have retained this equanimity in the face of a consistent and prolonged campaign of dissent from elements of the BT community, dismissing your time spent on researching and developing your guides, and publicly seeking to diminish your work.

That's what happened to Alfred. The threads are all there.

quote:

Just to be clear, I don't think he accepts any responsibility, but there was no requirement of that for the ban to end. The only requirement was to agree to follow the forum rules going forward. Skipping that would be making an exception in this case.

From memory, your public statement was to the effect that Alfred's ban was for a week, and that he'd be welcomed back, a fresh start etc. From reading between the lines, this was either:
- inaccurate, or
- additional conditions were imposed.

I ask as I had that sense from your original post, which certainly gave me that impression.

quote:

With that said, you may be right about cutting the Gordian knot in this case. We've given a lot of other folks a second chance in this turning of the page, why not Alfred? If he did come back and continued as before, he'd shortly earn another ban, but at least he'd have a chance to benefit from the extra information about the return of moderation to the forum, as others have.

This, fundamentally, has been the issue driving my above comments regarding equity in implanting the moderation policy.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Regards,

- Erik

I'd refer you to my above comments directed at Edmon more generally, but the bolded in particular.

I don't have access to your PM's, so this information is coming from my time spent on the forum and what's been said publicly.

Alfred's responses were always reciprocal. For an illustration, contrast Tanaka and DesertWolf101 and their respective approaches, mindsets and feedback.

I'll hazard out a few hypothesis:
1) Posters with a high sense of reciprocity (in terms of having a considered, thoughtful and open-minded interaction) will have a positive recollection of directly interacting with Alfred.
2) Posters with a low sense of reciprocity (in terms of not possessing the above) will have a negative recollection of directly interacting with Alfred.
3) There will be an relationship between 1) and 2) and the feedback you have received via PM.

The final point is that Alfred's generosity is evident all over the forum. I think there's certainly a case to be made that the forum, as a whole, has been far from reciprocal in return.

< Message edited by mind_messing -- 1/19/2022 5:52:29 PM >

Post #: 58
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 5:40:33 PM   
actrade

quote:

quote:

...those that "tend not to suffer fools,"...aren't wildly successful in life as their lack of people skills lead to roadblocks they simply cannot overcome.

I agree with you. But that does not make their expertise less valuable. Sometimes the guy or gal you really need to help solve the problem is a difficult personality.

Agreed, but it sure would nice if the difficult personality wasn't. We are all dealt cards from the deck of life, some with better cards than others. However, it's how you play them that counts. I don't believe in just saying, "that's the way I am" without trying to improve on my weaknesses. I had a daughter whom when she was very young had what some call "RBF or resting bitch face." She didn't know her neutral expression looked ominous and my wife, God lover her, is 180 degrees opposite and is one of the most photogenic people I know, always with a beautiful smile. She simply would not accept that my daughter couldn't work to change and I so vividly remember my wife constantly telling my daughter to smile. Lo and behold, my 32 year old daughter still doesn't naturally smile, but she learned to "fake it till you make it" and has a beautiful smile, even if it is more force of habit than natural. Just because being "nice" doesn't come naturally to you doesn't mean you can't at least act the part. I simply don't accept the excuse that it isn't in your nature. Changing your nature is what separates us from the animals.

Post #: 59
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 5:50:23 PM   
actrade

quote:

From memory, your public statement was to the effect that Alfred's ban was for a week, and that he'd be welcomed back, a fresh start etc. From reading between the lines, this was either:
- inaccurate, or
- additional conditions were imposed.

I ask as I had the sense that your original post certainly gave me that impression.

I think Erik was quite clear that he asked for no pint of blood, no signed confession, merely he play by the rules. FWIW, that's implicit in the TOS so asking him to play by the rules that EVERYONE must play by certainly does not constitute any inaccuracies or additional conditions.

Erik,

It's your call obviously, but we've obviously reached the point where arguments are getting circular and people are entrenched in their positions. I'm done here and ready to move on. Back to WiTP:AE.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI