Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 5:55:25 PM   
Edmon

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing
That does make me wonder if you'd have retained this equanimity in the face of a consistent and prolonged campaign of dissent from elements of the BT community, dismissing your time spent on researching and developing your guides, and publicly seeking to diminish your work.

That's what happened to Alfred. The threads are all there.

Trust me when I say, there was a whole community of detractors led by a single individual. She was very angry that I was more popular than her in the community at times and was willing to say anything (and I mean, anything, totally invented stuff) all the time. I didn't help that I made her "hardest possible" mod look very, very easy (and it is).

Frankly, the more I ignored her the worse it got and the more people she recruited into her gas-lighting campaign. She is the type of person that required enemies to exist and would immolate a new player on a weekly basis for whatever perceived slight she happened to have that day against people in general. She also made a very, very popular mod, which is why she was so tolerated.

And that's what it came down to, some people were and are willing to tolerate anything she does and did because she makes their favourite mod and they want her to keep making it.

But anyway...

I did indeed eventually move on from that community... but I pop in from time to time (and the person in question never posts on the main reddit, being as she mostly gets down-voted to oblivion if her post is about anything other than her mod).

Anyway, I have no horse in this thing about a guy I don't know and never knew. But the posts Erik linked were pretty bad in my opinion. I would have taken action too, had it been reported to me.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 61
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 6:52:52 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing
Out of interest, what's the criteria for a thread/post to be "old" and beyond action?

Ideally, 24 hours, but we've gone back as far as 48-72 in some cases. We should act as soon as we either see a problem or have it reported to us. Given weekends and holidays and occasional all hands on deck release launches, that's where longer than 24 hours can come in.

quote:

Happy to concede that there's much unseen, but there's no denying there's been a problem here for a while, and the criteria on what is going to be actioned and what isn't currently feels appears quite arbitrary.

The rules themselves are publicly available. Hopefully over time consistency in moderation actions will establish the bounds more clearly.

quote:

The absence of politeness does not equate to the presence of rudeness. The best term I've heard for Alfred's explanations is that they were clinical. That's still not rudeness.

Sorry, I'm sure that was true in some threads and discussions, but being "clinical" was not what got him banned and I think that's clear from the threads we've discussed here.

quote:

I'd repeat the same point with regard to sharp language. Being critical does not equate to rudeness.
This, I feel, is a key point that has been exceptionally overlooked.

Certainly, being critical is not the same as rudeness. Attacking people personally however is rudeness for sure. While I suppose in some sense you could put personal attacks in the very broad category of "being critical", that's akin to sophistry. We're not defining constructive criticism as rudeness here, nor did Alfred violate the forum rules simply by being critical. Personal attacks are simply against the rules.

quote:

The key issue behind Alfred's perceived rudeness is the inability to separate being critical of the idea and being critical of the person.

quote:

That's what happened to Alfred. The threads are all there.

As I said in the first post, I don't know where exactly all this starts, nor unfortunately do I have time to do a forensic investigation thread by thread and post by post. It should never have gotten to the point it did. What I can offer is that the rules will be fairly and actively enforced going forward.

quote:

From memory, your public statement was to the effect that Alfred's ban was for a week, and that he'd be welcomed back, a fresh start etc. From reading between the lines, this was either:
- inaccurate, or
- additional conditions were imposed.

It was incomplete. I did not mention that it's standard practice for us to contact the poster at the end of the one week or one month and just confirm that they will follow the rules before we reactivate their account. It's extremely rare that someone is unwilling to confirm that. This was not a special additional request for Alfred.

quote:

This, fundamentally, has been the issue driving my above comments regarding equity in implanting the moderation policy.

Good to know. I disagree strongly with much of what you say about Alfred when it comes to holding him blameless or only a victim as it contradicts the clear evidence I have seen otherwise. However, as I said in my first post, he clearly could also be helpful. In that spirit, I'm mulling over whether it would be reasonable to give him a second chance.

On principle and precedent, returning someone to the forum who hasn't agreed to follow the rules they broke does not sit well with me. However, we've let some other things slide here (temporarily) in the interest of not blindsiding people who weren't used to the rules being enforced or didn't even know what they were. I do believe in fair warning and an informed community. In that spirit, I'm considering this.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 62
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 7:20:31 PM   
RangerJoe

It does not help when a moderator has not logged in for a couple of months nor his pm box is full. But as you stated, a part time moderator. It does not help to report things when this has happened. Then an individual would have to look to someone else to step in . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 63
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 8:24:19 PM   
Yaab

What if Alfred never really existed, and was simply a chatbot created by a cabal of Matrix Games devs to make fun of naive gamers and give the devs a licence to bash newbies with impunity.

As CastorTroy noticed, Alfred never convincingly showed that he played a single turn in WITP:AE. Why didn't he? Because he was

AIfred

We were all taken for a ride! I guess I have played AIfred a thousand times in my campaigns against the AI! Wake up, Neo...

< Message edited by Yaab -- 1/19/2022 8:25:13 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 64
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 9:03:13 PM   
Trugrit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

What if Alfred never really existed, and was simply a chatbot created by a cabal of Matrix Games devs to make fun of naive gamers and give the devs a licence to bash newbies with impunity.

As CastorTroy noticed, Alfred never convincingly showed that he played a single turn in WITP:AE. Why didn't he? Because he was

AIfred

We were all taken for a ride! I guess I have played AIfred a thousand times in my campaigns against the AI! Wake up, Neo...

I’ve often wondered if Alfred was pure AI living deep in the heart of the internet.
Actually he is human.

But…….Now he is the legendary outlaw of the forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S88IXTFbCrQ

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 65
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 9:59:21 PM   
Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

But…….Now he is the legendary outlaw of the forum.

Only because he chooses to be. All he has to do is accept to play by all the rules the rest of us have to abide by.

It’s all perfectly clear and we all just need to use common sense and be civil to each other.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 66
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 10:01:28 PM   
Nomad

I am surprised that Alfred will not agree to abide by the rules that everyone has to agree to in order to register for these forums.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 67
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/19/2022 10:29:00 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

I am surprised that Alfred will not agree to abide by the rules that everyone has to agree to in order to register for these forums.

He did but then so did the others . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 68
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/20/2022 2:12:10 AM   
Rob322

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

AIfred

You might be onto something Yaab.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 69
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/20/2022 2:23:02 AM   
dr.hal

Or would that be simply "on something"??????

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 70
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/20/2022 2:25:37 AM   
Rob322

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I won't speak for Yaab but sometimes the "on something" can make these threads even more interesting.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 71
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/20/2022 2:27:18 AM   
dr.hal

I would say "I'll drink to that" but as a recovering alcoholic, I think I'll simply simile.

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 72
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/20/2022 2:31:23 AM   
Rob322

Good for you! That's a damned hard thing to get over but it's worth it.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 73
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/20/2022 2:31:46 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob322

quote:

I won't speak for Yaab but sometimes the "on something" can make these threads even more interesting.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 1/20/2022 2:33:55 AM >

― Julia Child

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 74
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/20/2022 3:32:27 AM   
Ian R

quote:

I'm Alfred!

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 75
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/20/2022 12:43:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

quote:

I'm Alfred!

You're Batman's butler! Who'd a guessed!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 76
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/20/2022 12:45:46 PM   
Yaab

The guy on the right is,err,...ballsy?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 77
RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred - 1/20/2022 1:24:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

I'm closing this thread now too, as it seems clear the discussion has run its course.

I've slept on it and despite my misgivings as noted above, I've decided that as with the general "waiver" I gave in the other thread to allow folks to get fair warning regarding our forum rules and the return of more active moderation, I'm going to extend the same opportunity to Alfred. Whether he takes it or not is up to him at this point.

If he returns and starts the personal attacks again, or if others attack him in an unprovoked fashion, the rules will be enforced. If we see people baiting or trolling others to try to get enforcement to happen, that will also result in moderation against those trying to stir up trouble. I want to be very clear that we will be fair and neutral, but while this is a second chance to effectively give Alfred the same fair warning everyone else has had, this closes the door on further waivers or third chances. We will pick up where we left off now that these discussions have been had and everyone who cares to be informed has been informed.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 78
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A discussion about the Banning of Alfred Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI