Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
[Poll]

Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW

Western Europe 1936-45
  33% (26)
Eastern Europe 1939-45
  42% (33)
Pacific 1937-45
  12% (10)
North Africa/Italy 1931-45
  10% (8)

Total Votes : 77

(last vote on : 6/28/2004 7:24:59 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 2/20/2004 1:25:50 AM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
-I've gained much respect for not only the US Marines, but the US Army units, the ANZACs, the Brits, the Filipinos, the Chinese and the Russians who fought & died in widely-varying terrain and conditions during a war which actually began in 1931 and lasted for months more after Germany was defeated in Europe.

So no respect for the Japanese?

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 31
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 2/20/2004 1:32:13 AM   
harlekwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
-I've gained much respect for not only the US Marines, but the US Army units, the ANZACs, the Brits, the Filipinos, the Chinese and the Russians who fought & died in widely-varying terrain and conditions during a war which actually began in 1931 and lasted for months more after Germany was defeated in Europe.

So no respect for the Japanese?

Well, there is only such much time and space.

I respect the IJA as much as I do the SS......*

and for a lot of the same reasons.

(*which is to say not at all)

< Message edited by harlekwin -- 2/19/2004 6:34:11 PM >

$ociali$m-from those who will to those who won't.....

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 32
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 2/20/2004 1:37:15 AM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: harlekwin

Politics aside and just from the military point of view...AFAIK there are no atrocities in SPWAW.

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 33
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 2/20/2004 1:39:39 AM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

quote:

Politics aside and just from the military point of view...AFAIK there are no atrocities in SPWAW.

Nope. The men scream and suffer in silence as they are gunned down. Only a vehicle warrants a loud bang

< Message edited by Rune Iversen -- 2/19/2004 11:40:53 PM >

Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 34
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 2/20/2004 1:41:12 AM   
harlekwin

quote:

quote:

I think both bodies were full of very zealous over-indoctrinated amatuers compared to the majority of western armies. The SS had a lot of guts but not a lot of sense, and the IJA showed how stellar they were against the soviets. Political platitudes make a poor substitute for good initial training and a decent sense of self-preservation.

The political bent while influencing my judgement does not dominate it. The Wehrmacht would have done more with the gear the SS got and The japanese were toast with less than 25% of our might directed at them. Fanatics just make more noise when they fall.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 35
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 2/20/2004 2:23:38 AM   
KG Erwin

As for the Japanese, no doubt they gained respect if not admiration for their fighting abilities. I believe the USMC-Jap war was fought with as much, if not more, mutual hatred than was exhibited between the Germans & Russians during the Eastern Front campaigns.

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 36
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 2/20/2004 2:42:20 AM   
JJKettunen

quote:

I think both bodies were full of very zealous over-indoctrinated amatuers compared to the majority of western armies.

I think western armies had as much zealous over-indoctrinated amateurs...what made the difference was much better resource management.

quote:

The SS had a lot of guts but not a lot of sense, and the IJA showed how stellar they were against the soviets. Political platitudes make a poor substitute for good initial training and a decent sense of self-preservation.

Late war SS was a mixed bag, and IJA showed its prowess at Iwo Jima and Okinawa. Soviets, while serving political platitudes like none other, would have kicked western butt by 1945 with their operational art.

quote:

The political bent while influencing my judgement does not dominate it. The Wehrmacht would have done more with the gear the SS got and The japanese were toast with less than 25% of our might directed at them. Fanatics just make more noise when they fall.

It's all about resource management...and how much one has them in the first place...

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 37
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 2/20/2004 2:48:02 AM   
harlekwin

Well we could debate what MAY have happened in WW3 1946, but the fact is that a) I agree with your assertion on logistics and resources, b) the IJA was in the unique position of being on total defense against amphib assaults, and c) and we largely agree on the prowess of the "SS" I bet.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 38
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 2/21/2004 4:34:51 AM   
KG Erwin

Speaking of the Invasion of Japan, there's a campaign being circulated that is mentioned in the Scenarios/Campaigns forum. In its documentation, it evens mentions the idea of using atomic bombs on the beachheads prior to the landings. This was actually considered by American planners. Couple this with the massed kamikazes, and the Japanese government urging the entire population to sacrifice itself to defend the homeland--this is an Armageddon-type of war that is nearly impossible to imagine. It isn't politically correct to say so, but we have much to be thankful for in Fat Man and Little Boy, which were the nicknames for the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 39
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 2/24/2004 3:41:42 AM   
Tombstone

I choose east front because it was the biggest show of our last century. Second would have to be pacific because of the impact on strategy that the insanity of logistics across an ocean as big as the pacific.

Tomo

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 40
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 3/2/2004 2:16:30 PM   
Frank W.

i voted africa, because i think this was one of the few battlefields
in WW2 where even some kind of "fairness" or "respect for the other side"
existed. also there were much fewer war crimes than in each other
theatres.

for italy: i have not much knowledge of this theatre and
would love to see more of this ( perhaps a good campaign ? ).
also i like the italian landscape and women

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 41
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 3/2/2004 9:38:16 PM   
VikingNo2

Well Frank can't give you any Italian women but I can give you a game where I play the italians

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 42
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 3/3/2004 12:27:44 AM   
Frank W.

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

Well Frank can't give you any Italian women but I can give you a game where I play the italians

i forgot to mention the food.....miammm

you will play italy ?

i play only H2H 7.1 !
no 8.0 !

which year and battlefield ?

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 43
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 3/3/2004 12:40:47 AM   
Major_Mess

I wouldn't bet on that Frank W.

My dear departed dad - British 8th Army, Royal Engineers - Egypt 1939 - told some stories after a couple of beers with his buddies once , and I don't think he knew I was present.

He said, that whenever they would advance or retreat, the same story. All through the desert, off the beaten path in hollows and wadi's (sp?) you would find groups of un-armed soldiers gunned down, laying in a pile. Either Allied or Axis.

He explained...........your side captures some POW's, you and a couple others are tasked with bringing them to the MP's behind the front. Well, with the lines constantly moving, you and your prisoner detail could find themselves away from your platoon/company for quite a while - a week at times. Your company provides all your needs, so if you want to be fed, and be around your own squad-mates...................You go over the first hill, and hose down your prisoners............you then make your way back to your mates. And all is well, nobody questions anything.

Evidently, the Germans believed in this practice to the same degree.

When I saw this in Band of Brothers, I wasn't surprised or shocked in the least.

For what its worth

Major Mess

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 44
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 3/3/2004 4:03:09 AM   
Tombstone

It is true that the commanders felt less animosity toward their prospective counterparts in North Africa though. There are a lot neat stories about it. But nothing mitigates the horror of war. Certainly there were less war crimes and atrocities.... but less doesn't mean none.

Tomo

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 45
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 3/3/2004 10:41:15 AM   
Maliki

Pacific Theater all the way.Nothing like close in jungle fighting and assaulting heavily defended beaches.Ain't nothing quite like fighting your way through low visibility jungles with no roads.

"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 46
RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW - 3/4/2004 9:15:51 PM   
mattenhoff

The eastern front. The slaughter for it, the bitterness, the toughness of playing the Soviets. The Northern Africa feels most exotic, but it somehow doesn't give the kicks that the Eastern front meat grinder.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Your Favorite Theater of War for SPWaW Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI