Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 5/26/2000 3:18:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

A couple other quickies: Getting shot at slows you down "friction" so shoot SOMETHING at everything. Getting shot at costs you a shot (friciton again) so again the advantage will tend to be with he who gets teh first shots off, even if they "don't do anything" they have slowed teh enemy down and made him contemplate his mortality at least for a bit:-) A lot of comments about things being effective or not are often biased by your point of view - try "playing yourself" and you may get some different insight into what is going on. Tanks and bunkers for instance do get suppressed, but if the tank has an exceptional leader with 90% rally , it will seem "unaffected" becasue it keeps rallying back, unti the tme it doesn't an it becomes a sitting duck...

(in reply to Big Joe)
Post #: 31
- 5/26/2000 4:14:00 AM   
Voriax

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Tanks and bunkers for instance do get suppressed, but if the tank has an exceptional leader with 90% rally , it will seem "unaffected" becasue it keeps rallying back, unti the tme it doesn't an it becomes a sitting duck...
Hmm...does this mean that during computers turn, when it fires at my bunker it causes some disruption but there is an automatic and unseen rally immediately? If this is the case then I raise my hat to that Japanese bunker commander that shrug off 100+ shots from small arms Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Big Joe)
Post #: 32
- 5/26/2000 4:23:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Don't raise it too high, VOriax, or he'll part your hair! Banzai! The kunel ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Big Joe)
Post #: 33
- 5/26/2000 10:17:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

There is no secret rally, but the AI does rally in its turn. IF you get a hit on a fort, it will take a couple suppression points, but would rifle fire on teh outsde of heavy concrete walls, distrub you that much? It took 100's of turns and whole gun lines of battleships to root out many of those caves and bunkers, that it can't easily be done in 10 or 15 minutes by infantry doesn't seem too outlandish to me :-) The cure for bunkers is smoke in front of then and skirt around to the flanks and either ignore them from that point on or blow them up with demo charges. Often it takes couple trys! Blind and bypass then let teh engineers follow up and take then out...that my tactic for forts!

(in reply to Big Joe)
Post #: 34
- 5/26/2000 11:14:00 PM   
Voriax

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: There is no secret rally, but the AI does rally in its turn. IF you get a hit on a fort, it will take a couple suppression points, but would rifle fire on teh outsde of heavy concrete walls, distrub you that much?
Not at all, remember I was playing the Japanese With the rally i meant besides the normal rally phase where you see who rallies and whether he succeedes or not.
quote:

It took 100's of turns and whole gun lines of battleships to root out many of those caves and bunkers, that it can't easily be done in 10 or 15 minutes by infantry doesn't seem too outlandish to me :-)
I think I posted some strength ratings of finnish bunkers to some other thread...if you ever visit Finland I'll show you them in rl. We actually have one bunker as clubhouse. Good soundproofing, don't disturb neighbours
quote:

The cure for bunkers is smoke in front of then and skirt around to the flanks and either ignore them from that point on or blow them up with demo charges. Often it takes couple trys! Blind and bypass then let teh engineers follow up and take then out...that my tactic for forts!
Yes, same here. I was just hoping that you could teach AI doing same instead of firing every available rifle shot at the bunker. Sometimes even from behind where the chances are that the bunker crew doesn't even notice it. Btw, in winter war many Finnish bunkers were destroyed by driving a tank in front of the mg's and then using flamethrowers. Lack of AT-weapons made this possible. Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Big Joe)
Post #: 35
- 5/27/2000 12:46:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Your basic point that the AI is sort of dimwitted attacking is very fair! Most times the AI is best on defense against a human attacker where a crafty scenario designer can in part way make up for the AI's limitations in that regard! It has surprised me a couple times and made me scramble:-)

(in reply to Big Joe)
Post #: 36
- 5/27/2000 1:33:00 AM   
Colonel Klink

you can't please everyone all the time. You guys at matrix are a dream come true for true steel panthers fans. Great job and THANKS for all of your efforts. You are appreciated!

(in reply to Big Joe)
Post #: 37
- 5/27/2000 1:54:00 AM   
Charles22

Hey CK, you forgot to say, "Diiiiiismissed".

(in reply to Big Joe)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI