Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A Personal Observation:Playing as the Germans

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: A Personal Observation:Playing as the Germans Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Personal Observation:Playing as the Germans - 3/24/2004 5:17:06 PM   
Wuotan

Wow! I hate political correctness, so i play just as germans or japanese.

SPWAW is a film in my head. I smell the snow or the dust and hear the battle raging
even with "sound off". There is no place to think about "good" and "bad". Of course
my imagination uses cliches to bring live into the pixels (the typical majestic, laconic
japanese officer, the gum-chewing GI, the Landser a la "Steiner"...). They are shapes,
nothing more or less. Like actors in a film. And that is FUN and the explanation that
a pacifist can play wargames.

My two pence.

Wenn Du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in Dich hinein.

F. Nietzsche

(in reply to Renaud)
Post #: 31
RE: A Personal Observation:Playing as the Germans - 3/25/2004 4:19:33 AM   
rich12545

Renaud
This being said, a last word about the Wehrmacht implication in the holocaust and the war atrocities: it's indeed completely false to think that only the SS were guilty. It would imply that it is possible to make war focusing on the 'how' without asking questions about the 'why'. A typical dictatorial statement, abundantly used during the Nuremberg trials by criminals. Von Manstein, for example, was a die-hard Nazi and he was perfectly aware of what was happening behind the lines. Many other German high-rank officers had heard about the 'final solution', but only thought about killing Hitler when it became obvious that the war was lost and that it was the only hope to save Germany from foreign occupation... Think about it !

What you say is true. But it has NOTHING to do with the game. You don't glorify anyone playing the germans. All you do is play a game. It has nothing to do with nazi politics, the holocaust or anything else.

(in reply to Renaud)
Post #: 32
RE: A Personal Observation:Playing as the Germans - 3/25/2004 4:58:33 AM   
Tombstone

The events of ww2 influenced our world in so many ways. It's not strange that people have strong feelings about it, the more you study it the more you realise how collossal a struggle it all was. It was SO MUCH in SO MANY ways. I totally sympathise with Ammo's stance on Germany and Japan, but in my case it doesn't stop me from playing those nations in SPWAW. Like I said, I've done extensive scenario building with the SS as the focus. I do feel a little nervous about appearing a little like a nazi glorifier to some or worse, attract the types that love the SS like they we're heroes come from heaven.

This stuff doesn't have much to do with the game, but as regulars at these forums it does have something to do with the people that play them.

I personally started playing wargames because I loved the force and magnitude of warfare. To me tanks were attractive in so many ways... I liked war, and I got into it. I've had a million misconceptions over the last 10 years or so (my period of focused amateur war history study) and I'm still synthesizing data and learning new things. I have a really different opinion of war now... hmm I don't know where I'm going with this, but it felt vaguely relevant to the discussion.

Tomo

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: A Personal Observation:Playing as the Germans Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI