Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 7/21/2004 6:40:54 PM   
Resisti

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamashita

Try using the Quick Start from your programs menu. The regular start didn't work for me with version 8.0d
All the best to you !

Hi Fossiili and welcome here!

Yamashita is right in his statement, but maybe it could have been explained a bit better

Try to launch the game by double clicking on the “mech.exe” file which you’ll find in the main Spwaw folder, this should make the game runs smoothly.
By doing this you’ll skip the intro movie, which seems to be the cause of headaches for a lot of people around

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 31
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 7/21/2004 7:36:28 PM   
Voriax

Weell...the 'quick start' *is* a shortcut to mech.exe

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 32
Hi all..again - 7/23/2004 11:08:25 PM   
Wiking_

Hi all, this is my second post in SPWaW forums, started up some days ago in Training Center subforum suggesting some changes in graphics to improve the game "realistic touch" ( humble of me )

I am from Barcelona, Spain, Europe. I have a little experience in SP playing against AI ( most in old versions SP1 and SP2). I have also played other computer games like first good-old Panzer General and have always been very interested in military history, specially in WW2 period.

I have no experience at all in PBEM or hot-seat games in Steel Panthers. To tell the truth, I haven't played "seriously" SPWaW yet ( not even against the AI) because I'd like to have an intensive look at the Manual before getting into battle.

Wiking_

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 33
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 7/24/2004 9:01:00 AM   
Fossiili

Quick Start did not help. Probably version 8 do not work in WinXP? Shall I try to install ver. 7, and if that, which version number 7.1, 7.2, etc.

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 34
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 7/24/2004 9:09:15 AM   
Fossiili

quote:

Try to launch the game by double clicking on the ?mech.exe? file which you?ll find in the main Spwaw folder, this should make the game runs smoothly.
By doing this you?ll skip the intro movie, which seems to be the cause of headaches for a lot of people around

Before beeing so proud to try to install SPWW I red a lot of discussion of the topic in Internet. I have tryed every exe in the SPWW folder including the famous mech.exe, but it did not help. My computer is IBM NetWista TYPE 2251-TAG and there may be something between freeware programs and these three famous letters (IBM). That is the most reasonable explanation, becouse with other games I have not had any problems.

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 35
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 7/24/2004 9:20:21 AM   
Voriax

Version 8 will work with WinXP, usually with no problems. Do you have the latest DirectX installed?

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Fossiili)
Post #: 36
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 7/24/2004 5:38:27 PM   
Fossiili

Now the problem to get SPWAW start is over, thanks to Frederik Orispää (in an other forum).
There is a folder SHP and under it an other folder SHP. One must transfer the files and folders in SHP\SHP to the upper folder SHP. Now the panel starts and from the panel the game itself.
Thank's to all for their interest. I hope that same kind of discussion will start when I get the real problöems in the game trying to winn my opponent!

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 37
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/30/2004 11:37:00 AM   
WarFan70

Hello. My name is Adam, and this is my first posting (introduction) here. I have been playing Steel Panthers sice SSI's first release of the game. I have plenty of military history experience and have been playing Avalon Hill's (now MMP's) ASL for a better part of 15 years. I also served in the U.S. Army, (I was a 11B - "Infantry"). I am a big fan of SP:WAW, and look forward to meeting fellow players and playing against them.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 38
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/30/2004 3:51:12 PM   
steveh11Matrix

Hi, my name is Steve, I've been a gamer for >30 years, beginning with miniatures, then boardgames, now almost exclusively computer gaming - due mainly to time and space!

I played the original version of Steel Panthers, was delighted to find Matrix had updated it, and I'm even more delighted to see that the support continues! I bought the Desert Fox Mega Campaign CD, upgraded later to 7.1, and have just further upgraded to 8.2, which when I get it to work, I expect to enjoy as much as before.

Aside from Gaming my other hobbies include reading and photography. The order of preference very much depends on the mood and circumstances!

Steve.

(in reply to WarFan70)
Post #: 39
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/31/2004 8:06:37 PM   
Riun T

ok about five million trys,links,and bullpucky hoops to jump through to finally get to talk to some of you fellow SPWAW lovers and players.
First my name, it's pronounced Reeun its a 800 year old irish name,Tayler is the last.
I'm 38 years old myself and live in Saskatoon saskatchewan, canada,and am proud to be an old military man. A very busy 10 years for the North Saskatchewan Regiment, some out of country work, while active between 85,and 89. Must say I loved it but it ain't for the weak of heart. Now I teach nachimo Ryu Ninjutsu and contract construction/renovations for another vet buddy that owns a bunch of rental propertys.
But enough about my little life, just had to finally get to say I've been playin steelpanthers since V,5.0 that I got outta a old copy of Computer gammer mag.and have tried to keep up with all the free updates so far without my input but since I can't find a point to comment unless I get in to the program so to speak we gotta talk guys who make the game please E-mail me !!! LOCKED AND LOADED till we talk. rtayler9@shaw.ca REALLY WANNA HEAR FROM YA RT.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 40
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 8/1/2004 11:16:06 PM   
KG Erwin

To all you newer members, I wish you a very hearty welcome. As you have seen and will see, your fellow gamers are more than happy to lend assistance and advice for any problems you may experience with game installation and playing techniques.

Glad to make your acquaintence.

"Gunny"

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 41
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 8/3/2004 5:26:11 PM   
MagiK

Howdy all, Long time SP player (since it was first released) and now I have purchased the mega pack and the Generals Edition of the game....My problem is..how do you register the silly thing? I use the icon to register, it takes me to a page and .....SPWAW-GE is not an option. ... Just curious. Nice to see Im not the only one who really liked this series of games :)

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 42
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/5/2004 3:42:55 AM   
KNomad

Greetings!

My name is Damon and I hail from Buffalo, New York.

I started Wargaming in the Eighties, having played most every strategy title by Avalon Hill. Then it was RPGs for awhile, then tabletop miniatures, and finally PC games.

TBSs are still my favorite genre, and I have returned to SPWAW.

I played 7.1 Stalingrad Campaign up to the Train Station.
Then H2H was released with a new Stalingrad Campaign, which I briefly tried.

After a brief haitus (while I indulged in Third Reich PBEM) I have returned to find 8.2!

Looks like another push towards Stalingrad for me!

I'll also be looking for SPWAW8.2 PBEM games soon.

------------------------------
Don't get hurt!
Incoming firepower has the right of way!

< Message edited by KNomad -- 8/4/2004 9:01:29 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 43
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/5/2004 7:02:30 PM   
PatrickC

Hi, I'm new here. Someone over at the Armchair General forum recommended SP:WaW, so I decided to download it and give it a try. I'm now working my way through the tutorials (very helpful, those!).

I started board wargaming in 1968 and have considered myself a wargamer ever since, though my playing has been sporadic. I devoted some ten years to learning SL/ASL, working my way through the scenarios solitaire. The most exciting wargame I'd ever played, but in the end I got fed up with it (too complicated, and kinda ridiculous without any command-control rules). SP:WaW reminds me of ASL, of course.

WWII is definitely not my favorite period. But I've been assured SP:WaW is a great game, so I'm testing that out and having fun.

--Patrick

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 44
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/7/2004 12:27:49 AM   
KG Erwin

Greetings, guys. PatrickC, you will get along well with Hexed Gamer, a long-time Matrix vet and fan of ASL.

(in reply to PatrickC)
Post #: 45
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/7/2004 6:02:25 AM   
malbug1

I feel like I'm introducing myself at an AA meeting! Hi, my name is Mark and I've been addicted to Steel Panthers since purchasing Steel Panthers I back in 1998.

But seriously I love this game. I grew up playing Avalon Hill board games like Battle of the Bulge, Stalingrad, Panzer Leader, Squad Leader, etc. Those games were great but you had to find someone else to play with, and they were very time consuming. Then I just lost interest and time as I got older. Now I can sit down at the computer and play a few scenarios and it's great! Anyway, I've got lots of questions for the forum so let me start a few threads.

Mark
Dallastown, PA

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 46
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/7/2004 6:56:04 AM   
KG Erwin

Welcome aboard, Mark. An AA meeting? Well, the moderator is a beer-guzzling rock n roller, as well as a military historian and SPWaW addict. Make yourself at home, and fire away with your questions. Let me buy you a drink.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 8/6/2004 11:59:02 PM >

(in reply to malbug1)
Post #: 47
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/10/2004 2:14:59 AM   
tomtroy

Hello,
My name is Tom Ledford.
I'm very new to SP:WAW, but I've played wargames for about twenty five years starting with "1776" by Avalon Hill. I was an infantry officer in the '80's until my right knee quit on me but the experience has been very beneficial to squad and company level gaming.
I am fairly experienced with wargames against AI but not against humans. I hope this site will get me started against human competition.
I am still looking for a good Napoleanic wargame to play. Any recommendations?

I look forward to many gaming adventures with SP:WAW

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 48
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/12/2004 6:51:05 AM   
delta2864

I hail from the Raliegh N.C. area.Not military, but i live close enough to FT Bragg to tell the difference from thunder and shelling :) a long time avalon hill fan ( squad leader, cross of iron,cresendo of doom,anvil of victory)it is an extremely pleasant suprise to see so many of the old squad leader scenarios again ,even some that only appeared in GENERAL magazine !I am on dial-up so if i can ever dl 8.2 I will be ready to roll.(my copy of 8.01 has started to lock up after a few seconds)the only system change was to purchase squad assault ?I would love a chance to play HTH

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 49
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/13/2004 4:04:27 AM   
KG Erwin

Hello, Tom. Welcome aboard. For Napoleonic tactical games, I recommend visiting this site: http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/NapBat/NRC/NRC.html . If you want operational-level Napoleonic games, Matrix offers a couple. Visit the Matrix main site to find out more.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 8/12/2004 9:04:50 PM >

(in reply to delta2864)
Post #: 50
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/13/2004 4:09:10 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: delta2864

I hail from the Raliegh N.C. area.Not military, but i live close enough to FT Bragg to tell the difference from thunder and shelling :) a long time avalon hill fan ( squad leader, cross of iron,cresendo of doom,anvil of victory)it is an extremely pleasant suprise to see so many of the old squad leader scenarios again ,even some that only appeared in GENERAL magazine !I am on dial-up so if i can ever dl 8.2 I will be ready to roll.(my copy of 8.01 has started to lock up after a few seconds)the only system change was to purchase squad assault ?I would love a chance to play HTH

Welcome aboard, Delta. For info on acquiring opponents, visit here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=43

(in reply to delta2864)
Post #: 51
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/13/2004 5:21:43 AM   
delta2864

oops ! a hardware prob (stoped up case fans) was causing the lock ups,spwaw was just the program that seemed to make it go the fastest for some reason.now maybe i can dl 8.2 !

(in reply to delta2864)
Post #: 52
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/16/2004 8:35:52 AM   
RareForm

Reporting In!
This is my first post, i just decided to check the forums a coupla days ago, but i've had SPWAW for a good 4 years, havent been playing it all 4 years though, but i recently started up again. As for my expeirence in wargaming, aside from the RISK board game, i've played pretty much any computer game that involved guns or planes; i used to be obsessed with becoming a fighter pilot, but then realized i cant follow orders without questioning them. I'm 18 and going to start college in a coupla weeks. I've been interested in history in general and world war 2 history for as long as i can remember, and absolutely love the game.

One question, why cant i use TrueUpdate to upgrade my 8.0 to 8.2?
Do i have to download the whole thing over again?

It is the tendency of every aggresor to say that they are acting in self-defense.

(in reply to delta2864)
Post #: 53
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/19/2004 7:51:04 AM   
Grelon

Hello, my name is Grelon. I first bought Steel Panthers when it debuted but only played it for a few days before my computer broke and I was unable to play. I then somehow managed to lose the game disc in a move and had given up on ever playing SP again until I found it as a freeware download while searching for a copy of allied general the other day on an abandonware site. I first started playing war strategy games when Allied General first came out sometime in the mid 90's and have been a big fan of the genre ever since. Besides video games I enjoy playing poker and hockey.

(in reply to RareForm)
Post #: 54
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/19/2004 3:41:26 PM   
robot

Rare form this is a complete new load. It is not a true patch. You must do a new download and install.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to Grelon)
Post #: 55
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/24/2004 8:28:51 PM   
patho

hi@all!
im 30 years old and live in St.Pölten/ Austria. im playing the steel panthers series since its beginning ages. surely with some non-playing years between, but... anyway, im not a very skillfull gamer, im only enjoying it
ive got steel panthers I (currently lost in PC-room), steel panthers II, III and the newer version 8.00. i always loved the steelpanthers games since they came out firsttime, its a real joy for me to mess with my AI-opponent, but for multiplayer gaming i think im to weak.
...and as you all can read, my english is as bad, as a mountainpath, so please show mercy to me
thanks for anything in advance,
patho

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 56
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/27/2004 1:25:34 PM   
Wuotan

quote:

,...and as you all can read, my english is as bad, as a mountainpath, so please show mercy to me

Welcome to the club (i am from germany/lower saxony).

Greetings!

Wenn Du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in Dich hinein.

F. Nietzsche

(in reply to patho)
Post #: 57
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/27/2004 1:37:29 PM   
patho

Danke Dir, Wuotan!
mfG, patho

(in reply to Wuotan)
Post #: 58
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/31/2004 12:45:34 PM   
Wuotan

Jawoll-ja.

Wenn Du Fragen hast: keine Scheu. Alte Hasen wie Voriax oder Belisarius schauen sich
immer wieder die "Anfänger"-Fragen durch und beantworten sie sehr kompetent. Sind
halt Idealisten (im besten Sinn).

Gruß,

Wuotan.

Wenn Du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in Dich hinein.

F. Nietzsche

(in reply to patho)
Post #: 59
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 8/31/2004 3:43:52 PM   
robot

Fossiili welcome to you grandfather from another one. My birthday is today i am 73 and glad to see another old timer here. I am from Kentucky the horse racing capital of America.

Try the mech exec from the panther folder. You can make a desk shortcut from it. Seems to work better for a lot of people here.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI