Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/31/2005 6:18:47 AM   
KG Erwin

Welcome aboard, spmlawyer. What aspect of law do you specialize in? In real life, I'm a tax auditor, and I work for the West Virginia State Tax Dept.

(in reply to spmlawyer)
Post #: 121
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/31/2005 6:59:59 AM   
chief

Mien Gott....Der Gunny ist der revenour....Ach !!!!

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 122
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/31/2005 9:12:26 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: chief

Mien Gott....Der Gunny ist der revenour....Ach !!!!

LOL--don't worry, Chief--I'm not a tax collector--my job is to correct screw-ups on people's tax returns. It's simply amazing how many people can't remember their own social security numbers-- this causes a series of headaches, but that's only a small part of the thousands of returns I have to correct each and every year.

Don't trust a paid preparer--they are just as prone to make mistakes--I know this for a fact. You're better off to do it yourself-- if you have questions on your federal or state returns, just call the support lines. In West Virginia, we have dedicated phone lines for Taxpayer Service.

Now, dammit, Chief, you got me talking about work.

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 123
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/31/2005 12:38:13 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

LOL--don't worry, Chief--I'm not a tax collector

Yeah, that's what we'd expect you to say! Quick, Ma, get the shotgun!

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 124
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/31/2005 6:34:35 PM   
spmlawyer

I practice entertainment law and intellectual property - like copyright, trademark and WARGAMES!! I always wanted a game company client but, alas, none yet.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 125
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/8/2005 6:34:41 AM   
i p a lot

my name is alex. complete noob to the game. I play war games like Hearts of Iron 2, Americas Army and such. and i'm having some problems with the game. i hav installed v8.2, but i cannot get v8.3 . i go to: http://www.steelpanthersworldatwar.com/main.asp, then i click on downloads, i scroll down to: UpdatesYou can download the v8.30 update from here. i click on here. then i scroll down to the pic with sp:WaW and click on it. then i click on SteelPanthersWorldAtWarUpdate-v830.zip and it does nothing:(
and don't i need that to get v8.4?

well other than that i hope i hav fun playing with you guys once this prob is sorted out.

(in reply to spmlawyer)
Post #: 126
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/15/2005 8:07:49 AM   
KandaJE

Greetings...

Yah!! I finally got v8.4 up and running! Wheee!!! Looks good! A bit more "brown" but still...

<pant pant>

I've been suffering for years with 6.x never being able to get any greater version to actual work. Last time I tried anything above, either it would crash instantly or give me no sound.

<shuffling around looking for a list of changes...>

Anyway - I'm not really new - I've been playing SP in one form or another since it first came out- I think I have just about every version by anyone who ever made a version... WaW being the single best version I've seen.

So I guess I'll have to figure out how to update my Spring Awaking campaign to this version.

I like playing Germans ...

(in reply to i p a lot)
Post #: 127
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/24/2005 12:54:54 AM   
MemoryLeak

Hi,

I'm a first time poster in this forum. I spend all of my time at WiTP forum. I have played versions of this game way back to the original commercial product, many years ago.

I was just wondering how to do an online game with someone. What site would I start at to connect to other gamers?

Larry

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to KandaJE)
Post #: 128
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/24/2005 1:18:44 AM   
KNomad

quote:

I was just wondering how to do an online game with someone. What site would I start at to connect to other gamers?

Welcome Larry!

First off - open port 7002 on your router and make sure your firewall allows Mech.exe as an exemption.

As I don't think there is a dedicated site anymore - go to the "Opponents Wanted" section of the forum to post a challenge/find opponents.

The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 129
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/24/2005 6:59:22 PM   
MemoryLeak

Thank you KNomad. I appreciate the welcome and the information. I'll give it a try.

L

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to KNomad)
Post #: 130
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/31/2005 11:34:19 PM   
Swamprat

Hi, I'm new here, just introducing myself. Or if you're Goblin; reporting for duty.

I live in Shropshire in the UK, with my wife and three children.
Been playing Steel Panthers (from II to WAW) for seven years now I think, perhaps less. Maybe it just feels that long. It was the first PC game I bought when I finally got myself into how to use a computer, and it's the game that still gets played most often.
I used to wargame with miniatures; I still have a large box of 1:300 scale WWII tanks and troops in the attic. Haven't the heart to get rid of them, but SPWAW just does it all now, and I don't need to paint anything either!

Got version 8.4 now. Just recently been playing online and PBEM for the first time - should have got into it much sooner. Seems to be a lot of experience here on this forum. I hope to tap into it, and maybe get to play more online games.

Rob.

Excuse the flag. I'm not sticking my nationality up anyone's nose, just playing with this 'avatars' business - it's taken me ages to find out what avatars even are.

< Message edited by Swamprat -- 8/31/2005 11:36:17 PM >

[IMG]http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k436/Swamprat98/need_help_3_126.jpg[/IMG]

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 131
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/31/2005 11:57:20 PM   
Terminus

Don't worry about the flag; there's too many different nationalities represented here for people to worry about that sort of thing. Welcome aboard!

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 132
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 9/1/2005 1:45:32 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Don't worry about the flag; there's too many different nationalities represented here for people to worry about that sort of thing. Welcome aboard!

Well said Terminus.

Hi Swampy!

Goblin

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 133
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 9/1/2005 1:49:17 AM   
VikingNo2

Welcome aboard swamprat ! I love PBEM once you get into that it will open up a whole nuw aspect of the game

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 134
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 9/1/2005 12:06:09 PM   
Puukkoo

quote:

Excuse the flag. I'm not sticking my nationality up anyone's nose, just playing with this 'avatars' business - it's taken me ages to find out what avatars even are.

Heaven forbid!

Why not sticking your nationality up anyone's nose? I do it all the time. And that British humour just rocks!

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 135
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 9/1/2005 5:36:07 PM   
h00b22

Hi everybody.
My name is Félix del Pino (41), and I'm from Madrid - Spain.

I started to play wargames 22 years ago, when I discovered (and save enough money to buy it ) the old Avalon Hill board games. In that time I buyed some of them: Panzerleader, The Isaeli-Arab Wars ... but the problem was that I never found somebody with the same hobby as me ...

Thanks God, a few years later ( mid of 80') the PCs landed on our homes (In Spain too) and a new world of possibilities came: new PCs games for a single player.
I ever played tanks and planes simulators (do you remember "Team Yankee", "Steel Thunder", "F16 Fighting Falcon", "F-117" ... ?) until a couple years ago when I started to play "The Operational Art of War".
And after a whole year playing every night the TOAW ... I discovered the SPWaW !!!

And that's the reason because I'm right now joining this Forum.

Regards from Madrid.

Félix del Pino

(in reply to Irsmert)
Post #: 136
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 9/1/2005 6:36:07 PM   
Puukkoo

quote:

I started to play wargames 22 years ago, when I discovered (and save enough money to buy it ) the old Avalon Hill board games. In that time I buyed some of them: Panzerleader, The Isaeli-Arab Wars ... but the problem was that I never found somebody with the same hobby as me ...

I know the feeling. Boardgames were my hobby too, and I know how difficult it was to find good opponents. Well, thanks to my cousin - she was very patient with me.

Welcome to the forum! We are all just human beings.

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to h00b22)
Post #: 137
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 9/1/2005 11:53:44 PM   
IBTyrone

quote:

ORIGINAL: h00b22

Hi everybody.
My name is Félix del Pino (41), and I'm from Madrid - Spain.

Thanks God, a few years later ( mid of 80') the PCs landed on our homes (In Spain too) and a new world of possibilities came: new PCs games for a single player.
I ever played tanks and planes simulators (do you remember "Team Yankee", "Steel Thunder", "F16 Fighting Falcon", "F-117" ... ?) until a couple years ago when I started to play "The Operational Art of War".
And after a whole year playing every night the TOAW ... I discovered the SPWaW !!!

And that's the reason because I'm right now joining this Forum.

Regards from Madrid.

Félix del Pino

Welcome to the forums, Felix!

I picked up SP about two years ago and have yet to set it down. No game on the market, free or commercial, gives you more bang for the buck than SPWAW. I've started playing around with TOAW recently as an alternative to larger, strategic or theatre-related battles to support some other games I am participating in online. Steel Panthers handles the tactical side of things better than any program I've used, but has limitations when larger numbers of forces are involved. Do you still play TOAW?

Again--welcome!

(in reply to h00b22)
Post #: 138
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 9/2/2005 12:18:43 AM   
Goblin

Welcome Felix! Stop by The Depot and say hi too!

Goblin

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 139
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 9/16/2005 3:12:37 AM   
anderson3250

Hello all, I may or may not stay as I am having installation issues.
My name is Josh Anderson and I am a chess player and this is the first strategic wargame I have downloaded. I will be on from time to time and I hope to develop some stuff for this with the editor (if I get it working).

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 140
introducing myself - 9/18/2005 1:31:33 PM   
figolin

Hello folks,

I am a french player of 42, playing this game since the first release (i mean Steel Panthers SSI original edition). I have been addicted to this game but forced to leave it for years due to computer then OS problems.
Then this summer i give a try to make SP2 working on my XP box looking at web to find tips on how to fix sound problems, this is how i discover Matrix Games and the free download version and better of all the large community behind it.

Thank you to all that have made all this real.

as soon as my credit card permit it, i will buy a full boxed version with MegaCampaign in it (hope for christmas gift).

< Message edited by figolin -- 9/18/2005 1:34:59 PM >

(in reply to anderson3250)
Post #: 141
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 9/25/2005 3:43:10 PM   
Deputy

Been wargaming a long time. Started out with Avalon Hill boardgames and moved to Steel Panthers 1,2 and 3. Then Talonsoft's East Front and West Front. Still wish those were useable on XP :(

Just discovered SPWAW while trying to make the original Steel Panthers work on XP. Ordered the CD and am playing the downloaded game now. Really great design!!!

Dep

< Message edited by Deputy -- 9/25/2005 3:44:22 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 142
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/15/2005 5:01:16 AM   
Alby

You will never be the same again...

(in reply to Deputy)
Post #: 143
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/15/2005 5:50:37 PM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deputy

Been wargaming a long time. Started out with Avalon Hill boardgames and moved to Steel Panthers 1,2 and 3. Then Talonsoft's East Front and West Front. Still wish those were useable on XP :(

Just discovered SPWAW while trying to make the original Steel Panthers work on XP. Ordered the CD and am playing the downloaded game now. Really great design!!!

Dep

Deputy,

Check this out, it might make your day, as it did mine.!

http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2664

Goblin

(in reply to Deputy)
Post #: 144
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/15/2005 6:24:25 PM   
Deputy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deputy

Dep

Deputy,

Check this out, it might make your day, as it did mine.!

http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=2664

Goblin

Whooo hoooo!!!! I hope they come out with a patch for the stuff already released to make it XP compatible!!!! Thanks for the heads-up Goblin!!!!!

Dep

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 145
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/15/2005 7:20:57 PM   
hank

I think I read on some thread that the TOAW would be update to run on Win XP and 2000. That's the only reason I quit playing TOAW because I had to upgrade my puter and op system to 2000 for work reasons ... that nixed TOAW several years ago and I never tried those emulator programs and anything ... I'm too finicky about my puter to try too many experiments ... I gotta make a living.

SO all this news about Toaw is great for me

hank

(in reply to Deputy)
Post #: 146
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/16/2005 4:07:30 PM   
Goblin

No problem Dep! I love the Battleground series, and can't wait!

Goblin

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 147
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/20/2005 10:23:18 AM   
steve#

Hello.

So, I just got SP through 8.4 and (obviously) like it. Played a lot of the same Avalon Hill boardgames I’ve seen mentioned in the thread -- Squad Leader and Third Reich and Fortress Europa (does anyone remember Squad Leader the card game?).

Three questions I’m hoping someone can help me with:

1. In the campaign feature, selecting your force: If I select a unit by accident, or say, change my mind and want the PzIII’s instead of the PzIV’s -- I find I can remove the selection from my current roster, but that it disappears from the pool of available units. That is, I can click on the unit on the right-hand side of the screen and get the points returned, but I cannot recover the requisition for that type of unit. So, if I get a total of 4 PzIII groups, when I select one, I never see that one again whether I pay for it or return it.

I tried to remove units with shift-click, alt-click, ctl-click, right-click. What am I doing wrong?

2. Is there a way to get a description or tell what time period/location the scenarios/campaigns are without entering them?

3. On-board, indirect fire: I have a 105 mortar behind a building, out of LOS of some target. Adjacent to the mortar is a squad without radio and out of contact with HQ, but with clear LOS to the target. The squad cannot spot for the mortar, correct? and even though the mortar is on-board/adjacent. If the squad had radio contact, then it could act as a spotting unit. Is that correct?

Well, thanks in advance and hello.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 148
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/20/2005 6:01:42 PM   
KNomad

Hiya Steve# - welcome to the forums. So you've just discovered SP:WaW? Well, you won't have to wonder how to spend any free time you have.

quote:

(does anyone remember Squad Leader the card game?).

You mean "Up Front!"? Great game, loved it. Kick myself for not picking up the expansions when they were available.

quote:

I find I can remove the selection from my current roster, but that it disappears from the pool of available units. That is, I can click on the unit on the right-hand side of the screen and get the points returned, but I cannot recover the requisition for that type of unit.

Turning Rarity OFF in the preferences should fix that.
Most of us play with True Troop ON/Rarity OFF.

quote:

Is there a way to get a description or tell what time period/location the scenarios/campaigns are without entering them?

IIRC, just clicking on the scenario title gives a decription on the right side of the screen, along with authors percieved difficulty and playing time. Doesn't work with campaigns however.

quote:

If the squad had radio contact, then it could act as a spotting unit. Is that correct?

I believe that is correct, although I'm not 100% sure. In any case, whether the spotter having direct LOS to target has any effect is still up for debate.

< Message edited by KNomad -- 10/21/2005 2:23:32 AM >

The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

(in reply to steve#)
Post #: 149
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/22/2005 2:45:51 AM   
steve#

Thanks for your reply.

It’s interesting the compromise you (I mean, “you” in general) have to make between modeling historical accuracy and achieving good game-play. I was reminded of that fiddling around with SPWAW. It’s a good game -- some niggles for me (800x600 screen with large maps, et cetera), but an impressive beast.

Thanks again.

(in reply to KNomad)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI