Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

new to SPWaW, tips on German scen/cmpgn etc

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> new to SPWaW, tips on German scen/cmpgn etc Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
new to SPWaW, tips on German scen/cmpgn etc - 10/19/2001 6:43:00 PM   
pax27

Hi fellow wargamers! I downloaded SPWaW a month ago or so, and boy am I hooked!!! I´m mostly into playing with German forces, don´t know why, maybe I just like big felines . And now, since I havent bought any Mega Campaigns yet (I will, oh I will!!!) I´d like to put toghether a big ol´ German campaign of my own, using scenarios that came with the game and any good scens out there. So basically I´d like some tips on how to do that (with the editor and what not), wich scenarios to use etc. I´d also like to know if all (is Lost Victories the third?)Mega Campaigns are fun/good to play with a German force. Now for the etc part of my post: I tried to play around with the editor, just to get a feel for it, and I wanted to battle test the huge Maus (funny name for that tiny tank) but I couldn´t get it to be avaliable. I tried setting the date to late 40´s, but this didn´t do it. Wasn´t the Maus availiable (OK, that´s not the word ´couse I think only two were ever produced) from late 44 or early 45? And now for something intresting that happened when me and a friend sat down to play a big generated German campaign. Before we started (we played togheter, not vs eachother) I checked in on the Stalingrad campaign, just seeing what the gampaign was all about. I checked how many points I´d get for my core force, and then pressed Done to see what the support points would be for the first scenario. Then I ended that, not saving or going to the map, and we started a big generated campaign with 20000 points and the whole nine yards. We palayed the first scen (and won) and then, POFF, we were kicked into what I guess was the second scenario of the Stalingrad campaign (an assault on two bridges)
We had chosen USA, the Britts and Spain (for some reason) as opponents in our generated campaign, with 20000 point for our core force , and now we found ourselfs in the Stalingrad campaign with this force!!! And now we´ve played one scenario through and we´re off defending, against Soviet once again, some rivercrossing.
Is this the Stalingrad campaign, and why did all this happen, cool or not?
Pax (wich means Peace in latin, I´ve called my self this for 8 years or so, and now it seems so inappropriate )

Post #: 1
- 10/19/2001 9:25:00 PM   
lnp4668

The mega campaigns are excellent for historical view of the game. If you likes to pick non historical forces, it may be too constraining for your taste. For the Maus, because it is classified as 92-very heavy tanks, you either
1. changes it to 14-heavy tanks so it would appears in heavy tanks formation or
2. create a formation of heavy tanks and puts the Maus in it. As for linking scenario together, someone maybe able to answer your question.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to pax27)
Post #: 2
- 10/19/2001 10:33:00 PM   
pax27

quote:

For the Maus, because it is classified as 92-very heavy tanks, you either
1. changes it to 14-heavy tanks so it would appears in heavy tanks formation or
2. create a formation of heavy tanks and puts the Maus in it.

Does this mean that you can´t access the Maus from the editor in any usual way, and that I need to fiddle with the OOB´s? And more important, do you ever get a chanse to fight with the Maus in a generated (or any other) campaign?
Is the Maus "tagged" with 92 and appears under a Very Heavy Tank menu in game? I´m, like I wrote, new to this. I haven´t played around with the editor so much...and I haven´t tuched the OOB editor. Doh! Thanks for the info though

(in reply to pax27)
Post #: 3
- 10/19/2001 11:04:00 PM   
lnp4668

I misread your question. The Maus is not available until Jan 1946, so if you wants to put it in a scenario/campaign, you needs to change the start date after that date.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to pax27)
Post #: 4
- 10/20/2001 5:45:00 AM   
wulfir

quote:

Originally posted by pax27:

And now, since I havent bought any Mega Campaigns yet (I will, oh I will!!!) I´d like to put toghether a big ol´ German campaign of my own, using scenarios that came with the game and any good scens out there. So basically I´d like some tips on how to do that (with the editor and what not), wich scenarios to use etc

Right, this is not impossible but it takes time and in the end the campaign might not be what you expect. Basically if you wish it to be a German campaign (and your intention is to use the scenarios that come with the game) you need to: * Get familiar with the campaign editor. It won’t take you long but you will need to know how it works.
* Sort out the scenarios that have Germany as the first player. The second player will be your enemy so if you choose a scen with Germany vs Britain, the Brits will be the enemy. If you choose a scen with Britain vs Germany you will fight your own side.
* Place the scenarios you wish to include in your campaign in (roughly) chronological order. Otherwise your core force will warp in time when you play your campaign. When you are done you will have a campaign with much better maps then you would have in a generated campaign and the AI will be more unpredictable but you will probably also notice that the campaign is not very balanced because the scenarios were not designed for this kind of use. For instance, it will often be possible for you to deploy your forces right on top of the enemy. Last words; this kind of campaign will not really compare to the “ordinary” campaigns. I think you should play them first but I would not want to discourage anyone from making his own campaign. Vill man så kan man. Kör hårt!

Semper in Primis

(in reply to pax27)
Post #: 5
- 10/20/2001 8:39:00 AM   
pax27

quote:

The Maus is not available until Jan 1946

Arghh... I set the date in the editor to dec 49 but I still dont´t get no Maus. What sub-menu is it under? Am I just blind (or stupid), I´m getting frustrated here. I´ll probably stomp that lill´ Maus if I ever find it And to my fellow swede I say thank you! My plan is just to try and get a feel for the editor and the creating of a campiagn, and you´re right about the issues such an improvised campaign would have.
Tack för uppmuntran, det behöver man ju alltid!

(in reply to pax27)
Post #: 6
- 10/20/2001 8:18:00 PM   
Warhorse

To get the Maus, you need to buy some units in 1946, then in the deploy menu, select an existing unit, and use the "change unit to different type" button to change into a Maus. The Maus are not in formations, because the AI, and certain players would abuse it for sure!! Hope ythis helps.

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to pax27)
Post #: 7
- 10/22/2001 2:34:00 AM   
pax27

Ahhh! My curiosity is satisfied. I tried it your way Warhorse, and I got to check the Maus out. Now all I have to do is make the icon twice as big and I´m through with this tank, and can go back to loving the Tiger E and Panther G.
Thanks All!!!

(in reply to pax27)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> new to SPWaW, tips on German scen/cmpgn etc Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI