Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PC Game Console!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: PC Game Console!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/19/2004 1:30:05 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I might have been mistaken, but I think I heard the game's patches etc are what is stored on the console's hard drive.

Still, I have not seen anything yet to make that price tag look appealing yet.

You may be right about that Les. From what I have gathered there will be three versions of this console.

Also, one thought just occurred to me: If the console can play PC games; and if people already have PC games; then wouldn't it follow that they would also have a PC too? And if so, why would they need this console?

And that $500.00 is probably in US funds. So in Canada you'd be looking at around $600.00 for the darn thing.

Perhaps I'm missing something here. . .

Cheers!

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 31
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/19/2004 1:38:27 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marines

Thanks for the updated info Rom the rumor mill surrounding this thing is huge.

Semper Fi

Thank you for letting us know about the console.

I'm still groping in the dark like everyone else :D

Who knows how things will change. . .

Cheers!

(in reply to Marines)
Post #: 32
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/19/2004 3:09:02 AM   
Golf33

I don't think that people like us, who already have a PC and use it extensively for games, are the target market for this device.

This looks to be competing pretty directly in the PS2/XBOX market to me, which is a good thing for us PC gamers, since potentially it's a bigger crowd buying PC games and therefore funding their development. If it takes off it also has the potential to bring PC games back into the retail stores which would be a great stimulus for development.

Regards

Steve Golf33 Long

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 33
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/19/2004 6:23:50 AM   
Canuck_jp

I'm sorry but this thing is going to be a huge failure. PC gamers won't buy it because it isn't a PC and console gamers won't buy it because it isn't a console.

(in reply to Marines)
Post #: 34
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/19/2004 6:51:04 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

In a recent reply to my ongoing thread there, it appears the console is being marketed not as a definitive replacement, but as a definitive option or alternative.

I guess time will be the most significant judge now.

If for instance, I found this unit could continue to keep pace with new game design demands ie new video cards always being the norm for most new PC games, then it would have merit.

But I don't see how that would be possible.

It does appear to have one option going for it, that I have commented elsewhere about, and that being the fractured non unified approach that is the norm for console games.
Having a PS2 is often of no use if the game is made for Xbox for instance.
Whereas this machine could care less who made it, if it was made for PC. And PC has a great many titles sitting out there.

But it will have to surpass the same hurdle PC games currently deal with now. I have seen several games I "might" play, if they were playable on "this" computer. But I won't be buying those games, because "this" computer won't run them. And they are not enough game to warrant me going into significant personal debt from upgrading the system, just for a game.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Canuck_jp)
Post #: 35
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/19/2004 7:54:16 AM   
Von Rom

So this console is being marketed as an alternative.

That wouldn't be so bad if it was priced lower.

If it played PC games and DvD movies, and sold for about $200.00, then it could have merit.

However, at $500.00 (in the USA) and $600.00 (in Canada) it will be about 3x the cost of a PS2 or X-Box, and I think because of this, more than anything else, it will have a rough ride. . .

Cheers!

Post #: 36
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/19/2004 8:37:28 AM   
Soljr

I'm sorry to say, but you guys got a lot of things wrong. DISC and Apex have been working on the ApeXtreme for a long time and have addressed the most obvious issues. DISC and Apex expect to make money off of the hardware they are creating so they know that have to take patches and other issues into account.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Von Rom

From the above article it seems that this console wants to be the "Swiss Army Knife" of Home Electronics.

It's price has jumped from $399.00 to $499.00; it's using a 40 GiG harddrive instead of an 80 GiG; and it will have run-of-the-mill graphics (256 MB RAM and MX video card).

Hmmmm, $500.00.

So you're buying:

1) A DvD player - but X-Box and PS2 will allow that (they cost < $200.00); plus many already have a DvD player.

2) Video Recorder - most people already have video recorders (cost < $150.00).

3) Ability to play vanilla PC games on TV - computers already allow you to do that. However, the basic console will not support patches/mods/modifications to the games themselves. Plus, PCs can be upgraded; the basic console cannot be upgraded. The console is limited to 40 gig HD, while PCs can have 160 GiG HDs, etc, etc. . .

You could buy quite an upgrade for a PC for that amount of cash.

Cheers!

Wrong. If number 3 was correct DISC and Apex would be out of their minds to invest in the ApeXtreme.

Firstly the ApeXtreme will support patches. This is accomplished through the use of the built in modem or broadband connection as well as the hard drive. Game Spy is going to help DISC with the patching process. The hard drive is used to store installed games, TV recordings, and patches.

The ApeXtreme will be compatible with monitors as well as TVs. Even though it is being marketed as an easy way to play PC games on your TV, you don't have to use a TV.

Mods will not be officially supported, however this is offset by the fact that the ApeXtreme will not have any sort of tight security features like a normal console has. This means the ApeXtreme has a lot of potential to get mods to run. In fact all you have to do is program your own script to tell the ApeXtreme to run a specific mod.

Upgrading is still a tough issue with the ApeXtreme. It is always theoretically possible to upgrade the ApeXtreme, but it is not yet certain how this will be done.

To answer a good question: What is the advantage of the ApeXtreme? The advantage is that you are buying a console that can run PC games (compatible with patches, monitors, TVs, keyboards, and mouses), play DVDs, function as a personal video recorder, will never malfunction under any circumstances, and will always operate under maximum efficiency.

Many of us have not yet bought much needed new PCs required to run today's PC games. Also the difficulties presented by computers is what prevents PC games from selling as well as they possibly could. The ApeXtreme will be a kick ass console once released.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 37
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/19/2004 8:54:44 AM   
Lars Remmen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soljr
To answer a good question: What is the advantage of the ApeXtreme? The advantage is that you are buying a console that can run PC games (compatible with patches, monitors, TVs, keyboards, and mouses), play DVDs, function as a personal video recorder, will never malfunction under any circumstances, and will always operate under maximum efficiency.

Many of us have not yet bought much needed new PCs required to run today's PC games. Also the difficulties presented by computers is what prevents PC games from selling as well as they possibly could. The ApeXtreme will be a kick ass console once released.

The problem with this console as I see it is that the rest of the PC gameing harware will continue to improve and with that, the requirements for the games will continue to grow. And on top of that, the hardware in the console is already quite dated. I'm not sure I'd want to play new games on that box.

Other consoles doesn't suffer from this as the programmers know that there is only one type of hardware combination out there and can optimize (limit?) their programming for this.

The VCR features are nice but are already out there and with a much falling price tag - 200gb HD recorders won't be uncommon in a short time. If only they would make them able to play .ape files...

Regards,

Lars

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Soljr)
Post #: 38
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/19/2004 6:57:43 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soljr
Firstly the ApeXtreme will support patches. This is accomplished through the use of the built in modem or broadband connection as well as the hard drive. Game Spy is going to help DISC with the patching process. The hard drive is used to store installed games, TV recordings, and patches.

The ApeXtreme will be compatible with monitors as well as TVs. Even though it is being marketed as an easy way to play PC games on your TV, you don't have to use a TV.

If there is some confusion about this console it's because the makers of this console have been sending out contradictory information about it.

This also begs the question:

If people have a computer monitor, then they already have a computer. So why have another "box" cluttering up their desk?

quote:

Mods will not be officially supported, however this is offset by the fact that the ApeXtreme will not have any sort of tight security features like a normal console has. This means the ApeXtreme has a lot of potential to get mods to run. In fact all you have to do is program your own script to tell the ApeXtreme to run a specific mod.

Here is a BIG problem in your marketing of this console. Thus more contradictory information.

It has been stated that this console is aimed at the novice/beginner PC game user. That PC veterans will probably not buy this console because of the inability to have mods, etc, and because they will already have great PC systems.

If so, then how are beginners expected to program their own scripts?!

quote:

Upgrading is still a tough issue with the ApeXtreme. It is always theoretically possible to upgrade the ApeXtreme, but it is not yet certain how this will be done.

The price is what will hold this console back. At about $500 in the US and $600 in Canada, and with the inability to upgrade the console, I think it will have a rough time.

It will NEVER malfunction under ANY circumstances? LOL

It will ALWAYS function under MAXIMUM efficiency? LOL

Perhaps you have discovered some secret technology that has eluded the best minds in industry. LOL

If I were you, I would tone down the claims of this machine. This will cost you a lot of credibility.

quote:

I question that assumption. Where is your marketing data?

You mention computers present some difficulties. Yet you have stated that you aren't sure if this console can be upgraded and that you expect people to program their own scripts if they want to use mods. This sounds easier?!

You can buy a lot of computer upgrades for $500-600 dollars (a 19" monitor sells for < $300.00). And prices for PCs are dropping all the time.

Maybe it will be good. But it is VERY expensive for what it claims to do.

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 4/19/2004 7:35:16 PM >

(in reply to Soljr)
Post #: 39
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/20/2004 2:16:22 AM   
Fred98

The one advantage I see, is that all players would have the same hardware. It would eliminate the incompatability issue. Eg: 72 players can run a game fine, but player 73 cannot, due to some software/hardware conflict.

Player 73 spits the dummy, screams at Matrix and runs away. This issue would be eliminated.

But from time to time we would need to upgrade graphics cards and RAM. It would need to be simple. We would all need to buy the same hardware - like buying Apple parts it would be expensive.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 40
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/20/2004 3:11:35 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I think this console's main strength might just be that Joe, or at least that is what I see as their best selling point.

Three game consoles out there PS, XBox, and Gamecube, all they are doing is dividing up their own market (consoles) and hurting each other.

If this controller can produce a machine that in one gulp can play any and all PC games, it will not maybe be critically important to a die hard PC user, but it sure might make someone think twice about getting a PS, Xbox or Gamecube with their very limited amount of titles that won't run in the other guy's machine.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 41
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/20/2004 4:46:35 AM   
Peever

The main selling point of any console system is not the hardware but the software. Since the hardware is out of date before it even comes off the assembly line the system needs some big name games to attract people. Since this system is a pc is doesn't have any real exclusive titles. I suppose you could say that upcomming games such as Doom3, Half Life 2, and Rome Total War could be exclusive but I wouldn't be surprised to see those ported over to the X-Box (or even X-Box 2 or PS3).

I'm not too tech savy so maybe I'm reading this wrong but how well will this ApeXtreme be able to run games such as Doom3 with only a 1.6GHz processor and 256MB memory? Take a current high performance game such as Far Cry that has min. specs of 1.4Ghz with 256MB RAM. The ApeX barly meets the minimum.

"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.

Post #: 42
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/20/2004 4:47:52 AM   
Von Rom

If this console could play PC games and DvDs and was priced at $200.00 than it might give the other consoles a run for their money.

However, its high price ($600.00 in Canada) and unfocused marketing, will hurt it.

Who is going to spend $600.00 to play PC games on their TV?

Computer OSs and hardware are becoming more standardized.

Further, how are they going to deal with the game patch issue? Most novice PC users don't have a clue about the internet, download utilities, patches, websites, etc, etc. . .

Again, maybe I am missing something here. . .

Cheers!

Post #: 43
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/20/2004 5:33:12 AM   
EricGuitarJames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peever

The main selling point of any console system is not the hardware but the software. Since the hardware is out of date before it even comes off the assembly line the system needs some big name games to attract people. Since this system is a pc is doesn't have any real exclusive titles. I suppose you could say that upcomming games such as Doom3, Half Life 2, and Rome Total War could be exclusive but I wouldn't be surprised to see those ported over to the X-Box (or even X-Box 2 or PS3).

I'm not too tech savy so maybe I'm reading this wrong but how well will this ApeXtreme be able to run games such as Doom3 with only a 1.6GHz processor and 256MB memory? Take a current high performance game such as Far Cry that has min. specs of 1.4Ghz with 256MB RAM. The ApeX barly meets the minimum.

I doubt that 'Rome: Total War' will make it into console-land - AFAIK there's only one strategy game on any console and that's 'Goblin Commander'. The largest number of units under control is 8. R:TW will have many thousand units to control so... Doom3 and Half-Life2 will be on XBox and I'm debating with myself whether I should get them for the PC or XBox. I'll wait until I've read reviews and maybe played demoes.

The ApeXtreme might do okay with its suggested specs (it's 2-3 times more powerful than the XBox) if it doesn't run a full OS.

It's Just a Ride!

(in reply to Peever)
Post #: 44
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/20/2004 6:40:53 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I am thinking I am just to darned niche hehe.

Doom what?, Halflife what?

Ok I can admit lots play those, but I could myself care less what machine they are run on.

Now if you can get Steel Panthers, Steel Panthers 2 and Steel Panthers 3 as well as SPMBT and SPWW2 to run on a machine like this thingy, you will have a lot of mature wargamers wanting to hear about it.

Then move on and make it worth while to run TOAW and Campaign series.

Then add Squad Assault and Battlefied 42 and you are starting to interest me.

Currently I am waiting to get Combat Leader and I am playing games like Strategic Command and Highway to the Reich.

My computer doesn't really need anything special to run the latest kid games, but it does give me trouble combining both Steel Panthers 3 with Campaign series and Squad Aassult.

Want me to care about this machine, eliminate my needing a lot of special fiddling to play all of them on one machine with no hassle.

(in reply to EricGuitarJames)
Post #: 45
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/20/2004 12:38:35 PM   
EricGuitarJames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I am thinking I am just to darned niche hehe.

Yes!

If the ApeXtreme runs without much (if any) OS you might have a chance of playing those old games. If the machine can't play the latest FPS games then it won't sell in sufficient quantities, DVD player, TiVo facilities notwithstanding.

It's Just a Ride!

Post #: 46
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/20/2004 3:49:34 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Latest note I have observed, is the hardware is already yesterdays news in hardware tech to anyone that will count in sales.

It won't bother me, but I have seen gamer's rigs, and they are NOT willing to step backwards.

(in reply to EricGuitarJames)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: PC Game Console!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI