Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 11/17/2001 12:19:00 PM   
Tombstone

Remember, the Soviets called the M3 a grave for seven brothers... Tomo

(in reply to sebagonzalez)
Post #: 31
- 11/17/2001 12:33:00 PM   
troopie

Centurion MK1. Brews up Tigers like tea. Eats T-34s for breakfast, and ****s them out before lunch. troopie

Pamwe Chete

Post #: 32
- 11/18/2001 12:47:00 AM   
Hauptmann6

Personaly it is the M18 Hellcat. Can't take a hit but it can outrun bullets... lol

Post #: 33
- 11/18/2001 2:42:00 AM   
Red Baron

Theres a lot of good arguments for the heavie stuff for favourits, but in my mind one of the best over all AFV´s of WWII was the Stug series.
Cheap and fast to produce, low silhuete and quiet good armour. My all over stug favourit is with out any doubt the Finnish Stug40 Ausf G. 1944 extra protection was fitted. Track sections were added to front armour, concrete was cast on both sides of the gun and both sides of the vehicle were protected with three thick wooden logs. In that clothing it proved a hard nut to crack for Russian AVS´s..
Regards..Michael.

Post #: 34
- 11/18/2001 2:47:00 AM   
Frank W.

sherman´s are the best......esp. the "EASY 8" is one great example of american engineering capability...US builds 4-5 shermans/76mm for one panther on the german side. and the later war shermans could stand against a tiger or panther if used cleverly..... perhaps it´s my opinion because i play the US side mostly in these times

Post #: 35
- 11/19/2001 10:23:00 AM   
GI Seve

Countries I've played most and favourite stuff on their arsenal. Germans : Aww... can I mention all of them?
Core being Tigers,Panthers and those Hvy TD U.S.S.R : T34(variants depending on time).JS-1/2 .I actually have never tried JS-3 cuz for some reason I've never been on ruskies side when they apear... 203 mm arty even though it ain't avf USA : I just somehow get helluva lots of those Sermans(normal and flame variants),Wolverine and Hellcat, Pershing,Jumbo Finland : Sisu ,Sotka(T34/85)Stug G(L).Sadly I mostly end up being the evil Russian whenever Finland is other country... Special mention on FireFly [ November 18, 2001: Message edited by: GI Seve ] [ November 18, 2001: Message edited by: GI Seve ]

HallelujaaGobble!

Post #: 36
- 11/19/2001 11:10:00 AM   
kao16

quote:

Originally posted by troopie:
Centurion MK1. Brews up Tigers like tea. Eats T-34s for breakfast, and ****s them out before lunch. troopie
Are you using the ANZAC one or one of the others? The ANZAC 17pdr has a pen of 255 (vs the 253 it is for other nations). Personnally I like the Mk III with 20pdr (but not the ANZAC one- pen 253 instead of 255)

Post #: 37
- 11/19/2001 3:37:00 PM   
kurtbj

German Hetzger, small, low, superb slope and with a gun powerful enough to kill most other vehicles. Definately my favourite at the moment.

'Great Sage Equal of Heaven'

Post #: 38
- 11/19/2001 7:49:00 PM   
Royal Warwicks

Pz 38(t) early war can stop most things but does suffer against infantry assault.
Wolverines hit well but can't take a punch.

It only hurts if they hit you!

Post #: 39
- 11/19/2001 8:05:00 PM   
john g

I guess I'll go against the grain. My favorite is the Matilda II, lumbering slowly across the battlefield, 2pdr popgun at the ready if any armor shows up. Impervious to all but the 88 from the front. The grandson of the tanks of WWI. Doing their job the best it can.
thanks, John.

Post #: 40
- 11/19/2001 9:08:00 PM   
Salonen

The king (kong) of the battle is Maus. That gigantic mouse rubles and rambles all around with its huge armanent and armor. Well, it is too slow and looks awful but it is almost invincible. darn mines... Ok, there are too many panzers like T34/85, which is one of my fav. but so is its counterpart Panther and the Great Tiger. T-44 is also funny. And prepare yourself against Sturmtiger.

The crimes against us must be revenged. Commander Saloway to General Staff

Post #: 41
- 11/19/2001 9:15:00 PM   
SoleSurvivor

sherman´s are the best......esp. the "EASY 8" is one great example of american engineering capability...US builds 4-5 shermans/76mm for one panther on the german side.
------------------------------------------ here a copy & paste:
All-in price for a Panther was $129,000 RM, or about US$32,000. Price for a Sherm was $40-$60,000 depending on the model.
Final assembly of a Panther took 2,000 man hours. All-in including subcomponents 55,000 man hours. The 'cheap' Sherm? 48,000 man hours.
Perfect example, the Tiger weighed about 25% more than a Panther, but cost 100%+ to build - raw materials represents only a fraction of the cost. The Tiger contained almost 100% more parts than a Panther.
//
I think it would be more useful to break out the "cost" of a tank into two parts. 1) The type and quantity of raw materials used to construct the tank. Larger quantities of certain strategic materials were used in Tiger tanks for example. This makes Tiger tanks far more "expensive" than the Panther, but is are these materials reflected in the costs cited above? 2) The man-hours necessary to construct the tank. This is a more acurate reflection of the actual "cost" involved in building the tank. I've got some data on the materials used in the construction of German tanks. Does anybody have any man-hour figures?
//
Consider the following info: On 1 March 1945, a total of 9,968 workers were employed in the Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nurnberg (MAN) AG works, of which 5,448 were involved in tank construction. these were broken down as follows: - in administration: 124
- in tank machining department: 841
- in tank manufacturing: 3,985
- in tank assembly: 500 5,023 of these were men, 425 were women. 2,719 of the men were foreigners*; among the women 230 were non-German. Two shifts were run within a 24 hour period, each shift comprising 12 hours. Now lets go through the following exercise, lets say every one of the foreigners were slave labor, and all of them were employed in machining, assembly or manufacturing (no admin jobs), that would comprise almost exactly 51% of labor. My SWAG is that 25% of the cost of manufacturing a tank is labor (in line with Komatsu & Caterpillar products), that would mean that the cost of a Panther is artificially understated by about 13% - nah, lets just double it, to be safe - The cost of a Panther would come up to say US$39,000**. Still a bargain compared to the Sherm. Bear in mind that all German tanks were procured at a profit to the manufacturer by the German state, same as their US counterparts. That the US built more copies of a certain weapon type does not mean they were 'cheaper', the US procured expensive weapons, for example the Garand M1 was four times as expensive as the Kar 98, half again as expensive as an STG44. Tank prices are in line with those of the Soviet Union, the average price of a T-34/76 ('41-'44) was US$34,000 and that of a T-34/85 US$29,597 (yes, that's right, it was cheaper - a deflationary effect of munitions production in wartime Russia). On a side note, the detail on the Panther assembly man hours, they are broken down as follows: - Hull production: 55 hours
- Turret production: 38 hours
- Chassis assembly: 485 hours
- Turret assembly: 150 hours
- Final assembly: 85 hours All info Walter J. Spielberger's "Panther & its Variants" and Mark Harrison's "Accounting for War" * In this timeframe, 1.8 million Italian workers were working under contract in Germany, and were definitely NOT slave labor. Undetermined numbers of guest workers of other nationalities were also working in German factories. For purposes of this analisys, I am assuming ALL foreign laborers were slave labor because I want to maintain a conservative bias. ** Exchange rate is derived from international commodity price normalization, based on actual RM transactions. Not quite bread , but pretty indicative.
//
I am late coming to this thread.
I admit I know little of the costs and man-hours to produce various tanks - thanks for the info, by the way, very useful - but I think the reason the USA and the USSR out produced Germany is because they could. Or in the case of the USSR had to. Both countries had the man/woman power and the space to build huge tank factories, long assembly lines and so on. The USA had spare capacity in its economy, it was the only economy that grew druring the war, everyone else had to cut back. And both had the funds to burn. It matters not if the Panther is cheaper or not, or whether it takes longer to make; if you can throw money into the pot, hire people, ensure there are no hold ups in supply, have people who come to work and then go home to a safe, warm bed, if you want to, you are going to make more tanks. I think it comes down to economic power not cost per unit. The USA had, the USSR developed it, the UK never had it and did not got it. A question for the experts on tank production: were German factories working at maximum production in the period we are talking about? Could they divert production to build more/expand the factories they had? If yes and no, then that's why the USA and the USSR made more tanks. Side issues: Neither the USA or the USSR had labour problems or 'guild' problems - that is over coming established practices that were counter-efficent. The USA because they were paying good money and the economy was booming, the USSR because they shot anyone who tired to cause problems Also, how efficent were those 'guest' workers? Slaves are difficult to use for precision engineering; you have to station an engineer over nearly every on of them to be sure they are doing what they are told, so why not use the engineer to do the work? Even the ones who volenteered like the Italians were in a strange country - thier own had just surrendered if we are talking production of Panthers - how hard were they really working? There is a cliche that WWII was won in the factories. Who had the most? who was able to buid more? who was able to keep them running 24 hours a day, with no fear of bombing - and I know that allied bombing had little effect until close to the end. The Allies, hence more tanks. ///////////////////////////////////Summary//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
cost of a tank, ok, but you wont like the answer. Panther between US$32,000. US$39,000
Tiger US$64,000.
Sherman was $40-$60,000 depending on the model.
T-34/76 ('41-'44) was US$34,000 and that of a T-34/85 US$29,597 ----------------------------------------------- What does this mean? Yes, they build more, but partly because they have a larger industry.

"Wenn sie jetzt ganz unverhohlen
wieder Nazilieder johlen
über Juden Witze machen
über Menschenrechte lachen
wenn sie dann in lauten Tönen
saufend ihrer Dummheit frönen
denn am Deutschen hinterm Tresen
muss nun mal die Welt genesen
dann steh auf u

Post #: 42
- 11/19/2001 9:35:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by SoleSurvivor:
What does this mean? Yes, they build more, but partly because they have a larger industry.
You have to realize, the US before the war produced over 1/2 the worlds oil and had roughly 1/2 of the worlds total industrial output. All that in the midst of a depression. The western allies outproduced the Axis to an extent that is beyond belief. The entire Axis put together didn't produce as much as the US alone. Quoting $ costs for vehicles doesn't reflect the opportunity cost of getting them into action, the US troops were paid over twice as much as UK troops to do the same jobs I won't even go into how little Soviet troops were paid. For every battalion of tanks sent over, how many cargo ships were sent to the bottom, their cost must be figured into the effort that the US put into getting those thousands of tanks to Europe. Dollar based cost systems for weapon purchases never reflect the total cost to the government for deploying it to the battlefield.
thanks, John.

Post #: 43
- 11/20/2001 12:11:00 AM   
Jeff_Ewing

So "best" as opposed to "favorite" seems to be winning out. My favorites are actually the bizarre inter- and early-war tanks, with multiple turrets, like the T-35, Vickers "Independent" tank, Char-2C, Neubaufahrzeug Pz.VI, and the like. These AFV's of the "age of transition" from WWI tanks to the MBT have great visual appeal and make for fascinating tactical problems. Jeff

Post #: 44
- 11/20/2001 2:37:00 PM   
Shakaali

My favourite is Russian OT-34/85 flame tank. The 85mm gun destroys AFV's and carriers from the distance and the flamethrower barbecues infantry that gets too close. And the MG kills those who escape from shells and flames. Also, the heavy armour makes the tank very hard to destroy.

Post #: 45
- 11/20/2001 6:05:00 PM   
pax27

good post john g!

Post #: 46
- 11/20/2001 6:32:00 PM   
Cromort

tiger, tiger tiger...
thats the best , at least the most scary tank "veni, vidi, vici"
J.C.

Post #: 47
- 11/21/2001 1:03:00 AM   
Frank W.

quote:

Originally posted by Cromort:
tiger, tiger tiger...
thats the best , at least the most scary tank "veni, vidi, vici"
J.C.

mmhhh..the most scary?? then i would say it´s the early models T 34 and KV1, ´cause with the first appaerance of these ones the german´s GOT very scaried!! in these time of the war,the germ´s had nothing to stop them (exc. 88mm and stukas..) and they gave them a very big shock. they called their 37mm AT guns "panzer anklopf geraet" with means " knock on tank gun"...

Post #: 48
- 11/21/2001 7:14:00 PM   
pax27

The Tiger scared the you now what out of allied troops for some time. So it was indeed scary. No tank is surrounded by so many stories and myths on all fronts and by all nations involved. But measuring the scariness of a tank is hard i guess, it´s one of those "you-had-to-be-there" scenarios.

Post #: 49
- 11/22/2001 3:48:00 AM   
Belisarius

quote:

Originally posted by Frank W.:
they called their 37mm AT guns "panzer anklopf geraet" with means " knock on tank gun"...

Heheh, I thought "Panzer anklopf gerät" was the official notion? I've learned (the hard way) that you can't even open a can of sardines with a 37mm... ONE 88 is worth more than 50 PaK37's! (seriously, I can't even kill Bren carriers or soft targets with 'em... *klonk* *klonk* *klonk*)

Got StuG?

Post #: 50
- 11/22/2001 3:59:00 AM   
Tiger

quote:

Originally posted by LilJoe:
I,ve been using Pershings and am quite pleased with them. They have both speed and firepower(and with the proper tactics) can tackle anything the axis has and still come out on top. And of couse their built in the good old USA!
I have to agree. Anytime I've been gifted with the Pershing, I've been pleased with their maneuverability and firepower. Even a slightly less-than-green crew can devastate opposing armour.

I ain't no golden boy,
ain't no Grecian dancer,
and I ain't no loud mouth cowboy from the West...
I'm not the kind of man with all the answers, but I surely know the songs that suit me best.... LL

Post #: 51
- 11/22/2001 4:27:00 AM   
valdor17

Although it is not modeled in SPWAW, I would have to go with the 'Haunted Tank' variant of the Stuart. Although very few of these were ever produced (1 actually), it could handle anything on the battlefield! I've seen this Stuart destroy Tigers and Panthers--blowing their turrets 50 feet into the air--while 75mm and 88mm rounds were bouncing off its armor! It could shoot down Stukas with it's main gun. Hell, it even sunk a surfaced U-Boat while fastened to the deck of a transport! Plus, it was the only tank equipped a mentoring ghost!

A66
1st MRB

Post #: 52
- 11/22/2001 8:21:00 AM   
gn08979

I like the Lee/Grants because of the double punch. The 37 and the 75 HE will kill most stuff of their day. I really like the Stuarts though. Lots of spped and lots of machine guns. Certainly not the best tank for a slugfest, but I can usually get a few behind the lines and makes lots of trouble with the arty and HQ units.

Post #: 53
- 11/22/2001 8:53:00 AM   
Maximus

My vote would have to be for the Tiger and I will tell you why. I have always liked the actual"look" of the tank and after seeing Saving Private Ryan I am still a fan. If you remember the scene where they are in that village, talking and in the distance you hear that rolling death approaching.... I mean that was something. You could actually feel the fear those soldiers had!

"Protection from what Tommy....Ze Germans?"

Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI