Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Quick update on development progress.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Quick update on development progress. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/4/2004 9:55:04 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: GBirkn

quote:

Well, I;ve rewritten almost every Grigsby game I've gotten the source code to over the years, including PACWAR to fix a litany of bugs and AI stupidity.....

I didn't know they released the source code! What sort of a license is it under? Are there any plans to release the code to UV, so we can contribute some help that might eventually find its way into WITP?

The old Apple II games were easy. The game disks contained the AppleSoft basic code right on them, all you had to do was boot to ProDos and extract it and go from there. I got the PACWAR code from one of guys that did some work on the Matrix reissue of the game. And for those who thought Grigsby was such a great programmer, all you have to do is read the "What's Changed" list to see just how bad the original PACWAR really was!

Gary is a TREMENDOUS game designer. Pure genius. But he's NOT much of a programmer, at least, he's not anymore. The way he used the same data array in the old Apple II game for different game entities was quite clever at the time when we had 128K of memory to play with and those tiny 360K floppy disks. But in this day and age of 1GB ram and 300GB hardrives, and myraiad of toolkits, an ever maturing C++ ISO standard and tremendous compilers, using the same general techniques now is not only not warranted, but not even desirable at all, because that type of coding is a bug waiting to happen, and it doesn't scale well at all.

Gary would be the first to admit that he is a relatively lousy programmer. That's one big reason we have Keith in 2by3 and one of the reasons Matrix loans us Mike Wood. Keith is an excellent programmer that is willing to learn new programming techniques. In our new World at War game we are using a brand new engine and Keith has set up the game to run from data files, allowing non-programmers like myself to control huge chunks of the rules of the game. It's also our first truely windows friendly game. As a guy that never programmed past my knowledge of Basic and my Pursuit of the Graf Spee game in 1982 on the Apple II, I enjoy hearing Keith and Mike discuss how Gary still thinks in Basic terms and programs C+ as if it were Basic. It's that old dog thing. Of course you are also correct in saying that Gary's a tremendous game designer. He can spin a formula like no one I've ever worked with.

As for Alpha/Beta timing. It's very misleading. I've worked on many games where you couldn't really play the game until a few months before release, and the Alpha and then Beta timeframes (of a playable game) were about 2 months each. In this case War in the Pacific started with a known engine (UV). Alpha testing started 19 months ago. I'd say by 7 months ago the game was very playable with 90% of the game in. We spent a lot of time since then getting the scneario data files as correct as we could (a huge task) and adding many new features that players wanted and our testing indicated should be added. Bugs were constantly being found and fixed, but the game was very stable this whole time. Beta was so late because we kept wanting to add new features and new interface items. Risky, yes, but each one seemed worth adding and we were still working on the scenarios, art and manual so we figured why not keep adding them. We finally cut things off and called ourselves at gameplay Beta back on April 19. That means we've had over 6 weeks of Beta, very similar to old SSI days, although we rarely had so much playable Alpha time.
Are there going to be bugs, you bet. This is way too big and complex for us to get out all the bugs. Who knows what player's will find. We won't know till it gets in their hands. We are however saying that we don't know of anything major at the moment, and the minor things we know about our very minor. Testers have been happy with the way the game has been playing for along time so it should be fun out of the box unless their is some system incompatibility issue out there that we are unaware of. We will anxiously await word of problems that players find, and will try to fix them as quickly as we can identify "real" bugs and find fixes that don't break more than they fix. I hate to think of the thousands of "bug" reports we will get that are not bugs buy just people not understanding the complexity of the game and how things execute. Even if we had the perfect manual that explained everything there would be many bugs found that weren't bugs. Just yesterday a tester posted something that I thought was probably a bug until one of the other testers figured out it was just a misunderstanding of the role of AS vs. MLE ships (and I've been editing those very sections of the manaul this week). Just too much to keep in your head.

Well, back to work. We're just about there.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 61
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/4/2004 10:01:04 PM   
jhdeerslayer

Thanks for the interesting post Joel. My credit card and I would be glad to help you check this little puppy out further anytime! This truly is going to be a gem I sense...

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 62
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/4/2004 10:19:18 PM   
denisonh

Thanks Joel

quote:

Are there going to be bugs, you bet. This is way too big and complex for us to get out all the bugs. Who knows what player's will find. We won't know till it gets in their hands. We are however saying that we don't know of anything major at the moment, and the minor things we know about our very minor. Testers have been happy with the way the game has been playing for along time so it should be fun out of the box unless their is some system incompatibility issue out there that we are unaware of. We will anxiously await word of problems that players find, and will try to fix them as quickly as we can identify "real" bugs and find fixes that don't break more than they fix. I hate to think of the thousands of "bug" reports we will get that are not bugs buy just people not understanding the complexity of the game and how things execute

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

Post #: 63
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/4/2004 10:29:46 PM   
brisd

Another thanks from me. It is such lengthy, detailed posts and the support Matrix/2by3 have shown for past games (bug fixes) that make me sure WITP will be very enjoyable to me for years to come.

"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 64
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/4/2004 10:56:46 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

All I can really say, is you guys have your hearts in the right place on this thing, refusing to release it until it's pretty refined. And with just two programmers (with one of those on loan), using (based on my perception of what your guys are doing, right or wrong as that may be) what appears to be old coding styles that tend to be highly error prone anyway and long abandoned by many in the business software sector, is quite IMPRESSIVE to say the least.

And it is good to hear that someone is moving on to an entirely new approach in terms of game data management. I'm actually working on a wargaming data engine in my spare time that uses a MySql database for it's volatile data management. Static data is loaded into a series of std::map's on startup. Even some of the presentation attributes are SQL database managed. That allows for game data alteration via simple SQL statemetns and scripts.... The nice thing about turn based wargames is they don't have to be very fast or high performance on the presentation side and lend themselves quite nicely to tried and true (and very efficient) business sofware-like data management. In the enterprise business software world we define the enterprise's business rules where? The DATABASE, that's where, NEVER in the CODE!!! Makes sense in the gaming world (at least the turn based wargaming world anyway), too. Good to hear you guys are starting to head in that direction!

As far as performance goes, if I can get a PIV 2.4GHz single CPU box to churn out over 7,000,000 financial settlement transactions per hour, I think the same RDBMS could damned sure handle the data requirments for game even as big as WitP with great ease....

< Message edited by ZOOMIE1980 -- 6/4/2004 9:01:19 PM >

(in reply to brisd)
Post #: 65
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/4/2004 11:05:33 PM   
kaleun

Highly iteresting. If my Chinese is correct, "The cow crossed the river below the railroad, while his mother in law ate fish"
On the other hand, the preceding posts might be in some other language, totally unknown to regular humans

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 66
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/4/2004 11:44:01 PM   
Mr.Frag

Hey Zoomie, if you have such talents, why are we not playing War in the Zoomies?

I always wonder why people who can program well sit back and don't get off their butts and program

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 67
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/4/2004 11:47:01 PM   
mogami

Yes we need to get to work on my massive multiplayer version of WW2 where all players on a side connect via TCP and enter orders. Bn level 2 miles per hex. 8 hours per turn. Map of entire earth.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 68
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/4/2004 11:50:37 PM   
freeboy

hey mog.. read some of Z's older posts as he looked at gaming compony work... and has done editing of purchased software.....

so are we gold yet?

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 69
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/4/2004 11:58:16 PM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Yes we need to get to work on my massive multiplayer version of WW2 where all players on a side connect via TCP and enter orders. Bn level 2 miles per hex. 8 hours per turn. Map of entire earth.

All we need is rules mog...when do you want to get started :).

Rob

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 70
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/5/2004 12:19:08 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Hey Zoomie, if you have such talents, why are we not playing War in the Zoomies?

I always wonder why people who can program well sit back and don't get off their butts and program

What the hell do you think I do for a living? Sell insurance? Let's see, so far this year, I have written major components for a huge financial transaction system that, if you use an ATM, is what now is balancing your withdrawls, overhauled the FAA's weather reporting system, and written about 65% of the server side for a new web-based healthcare system. And that is just at work. At home, like I stated elsewhere, I am busy at work designing an SQL based game data engine for a "generic" wargame and working on a database driven AI system.

So I actually do program some....

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 71
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/5/2004 12:21:24 AM   
rroberson

quote:

quote:

What the hell do you think I do for a living? Sell insurance? Let's see, so far this year, I have written major components for a huge financial transaction system that, if you use an ATM, is what now is balancing your withdrawls, overhauled the FAA's weather reporting system, and written about 65% of the server side for a new web-based healthcare system. And that is just at work. At home, like I stated elsewhere, I am busy at work designing an SQL based game data engine for a "generic" wargame and working on a database driven AI system.

So I actually do program some....

Really?, I have dying to get into game designing...(signs you up as his new company game programer :P)

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 72
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/5/2004 1:03:51 AM   
GBirkn

Many thanks for the further update, Joel, as well as for all the work that you and the team have been putting into this project over the last several years. Like many others who have posted here, I've got my credit card ready and am eagerly awaiting the day when I can express my gratitude more tangibly by buying a copy.

"War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let's give them all they want." -- Gen. W. T. Sherman

Post #: 73
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/5/2004 1:18:17 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

At home, like I stated elsewhere, I am busy at work designing an SQL based game data engine for a "generic" wargame and working on a database driven AI system.

Well, hurry up!

I've always got money to spend somewhere on something ... lately with the level of crap showing up in the stores, my computer software purchases have been sadly on the low side. Normally I pick up about 3 a month, but this year has *really* been sad...

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 74
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/5/2004 1:42:05 AM   
tondern

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Dear Mogami,

I hope that this is going to be a virtual reality game with AI so good that you can only win in PBEM mode. I volunteer to command LA. 1940s starlets and that sort of thing. Also don't we need a voice interface for inputting orders? Clicking is so passe.

Respectfully Yours,

Tondern

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 75
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/5/2004 5:39:59 PM   
rroberson

quote:

quote:

At home, like I stated elsewhere, I am busy at work designing an SQL based game data engine for a "generic" wargame and working on a database driven AI system.

Well, hurry up!

I've always got money to spend somewhere on something ... lately with the level of crap showing up in the stores, my computer software purchases have been sadly on the low side. Normally I pick up about 3 a month, but this year has *really* been sad...

You sound like me Frag. I have a 1 a week habit to feed, and lately I can't come up with something close to being worthwhile..(lots of real time coasters on the shelf and I hate real time games). I finally broke down and picked up WW2 online (having a ball with it) and IL2 Aces. THose will more then occupy my hard drive till Witp shows up. And Witp will probably be a habit killer too :).

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 76
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/7/2004 8:16:05 PM   
Joel Billings

Still working on the manual. It's up to 160 pages now. We only have about 6 pages of changes left to be incorporated into the manual. David has been working on the install/registration system. The game has had a few items spiffed up over the weekend while we wait on these last items. Again, if nothing comes up out of the blue, Matrix should have the game at Origins on the 24th and should be able to start selling it via digital download shortly thereafter.

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 77
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/7/2004 8:16:25 PM   
Toro

quote:

ORIGINAL: rroberson

quote:

quote:

Well, hurry up!

You sound like me Frag. I have a 1 a week habit to feed, and lately I can't come up with something close to being worthwhile..(lots of real time coasters on the shelf and I hate real time games). I finally broke down and picked up WW2 online (having a ball with it) and IL2 Aces. THose will more then occupy my hard drive till Witp shows up. And Witp will probably be a habit killer too :).

Jeez... nice to hear there's more than me out there scratching my head, looking at the EBX shelves and wondering, "Who the heck is buying this garbage!??" Like you two, I used to be a 1-a-week gaming purchaser, but in the last year or two it's been more along the line of 1-per-quarter (or even less...).

So rrobertson, WW2 online, huh? Worth the effort? Of course, come to think of it, I expect in the next couple weeks I'll be vastly pre-occupied with a new game coming out...

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 78
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/7/2004 8:31:42 PM   
Jaypea

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

... Again, if nothing comes up out of the blue, Matrix should have the game at Origins on the 24th and should be able to start selling it via digital download shortly thereafter.

I was hoping you would have said "selling it via digital download shortly before that"

Oh well, one can only dream . . .

Post #: 79
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/7/2004 8:50:15 PM   
Wilson ESQ

When will the cd be out?

(in reply to Jaypea)
Post #: 80
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/7/2004 9:30:03 PM   
dwesolick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Matrix should have the game at Origins on the 24th and should be able to start selling it via digital download shortly thereafter.

Like, on the 25th? Or maybe the late evening of the 24th?

Thanks for the update!

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

Post #: 81
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/7/2004 10:45:07 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilson ESQ

When will the cd be out?

Small quantities of the CD will be available at Origins (enough for expected demand), but as far as available for mass mail order sale, I'm not sure. Depends on when the CD is finally mastered and the production timeline. I'm guessing a week after Origins, but don't hold me to it as this is in Matrix's court. You will be able to buy the game for digital download and then for a relatively small fee get the CD mailed to you. Again, Matrix will need to give the details.

(in reply to Wilson ESQ)
Post #: 82
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/7/2004 11:10:36 PM   
Point Luck

quote:

You will be able to buy the game for digital download and then for a relatively small fee get the CD mailed to you.

That's Good News

Post #: 83
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/8/2004 12:13:41 AM   
bilbow

Joel, hope you don't underestimate the demand. I will be there looking for it, probably more than one copy. And I will be there when the doors open if need be. This is the best reason I've had to hook work since the last kid was born. And he's now 13.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill

Post #: 84
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/8/2004 12:21:29 AM   
Pascal_slith

Well, as soon as digital download is up and running I'll bet we'll bust the server!!

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to bilbow)
Post #: 85
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/8/2004 2:55:14 AM   
Zeta16

I can't get origins until the last day and not until mid afternoon. So I hope there will be copy left for me.

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan

(in reply to Pascal_slith)
Post #: 86
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/8/2004 5:32:26 AM   
ChuckK

[
quote:

Joel, hope you don't underestimate the demand

Indeed, Columbus is about a 3-4 hour drive from me. I'd be happy to go on a roadtrip if there could be some way to reserve a copy or two.

Best, -ChuckK

< Message edited by ChuckK -- 6/8/2004 4:04:48 AM >

(in reply to bilbow)
Post #: 87
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/8/2004 12:19:01 PM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

…And for those who thought Grigsby was such a great programmer, all you have to do is read the "What's Changed" list to see just how bad the original PACWAR really was!...
Your comments got me thinking.

I never really thought one way or another about the programming abilities of Gary Grigsby, and true enough the original PacWar had a number of ‘oddities’; but even so… it never really mattered…

I am sure that I played games that were programmed better and had features that were better documented, but even so it never really mattered…

Perhaps Gary Grigsby skills as a programmer are comparable with a surgeon that uses a chainsaw instead of a scalpel, but it never really mattered…

…because his name goes on games I wanted to play.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 88
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/8/2004 1:44:56 PM   
Adnan Meshuggi

beer...

Don't tickle yourself with some moralist crap thinking we have some sort of obligation to help these people. We're there for our self-interest, and anything we do to be 'nice' should be considered a courtesy dweebespit

(in reply to Culiacan Mexico)
Post #: 89
RE: Quick update on development progress. - 6/8/2004 7:17:20 PM   
doktor1957

Any chance we can download the manual prior to release? Give us something to read by the pool?

Dave
San Diego

(in reply to Adnan Meshuggi)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Quick update on development progress. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI