Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Battle of the CD units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Battle of the CD units Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/21/2004 3:13:41 PM   
Luskan

My plan is even simpler. Burma, well I'm confident that those little (yes, they are quite small when compared to your average jap division) british divisions aren't going to cut it. I've got a LOT of firepower buliding up on the 3 major routes into Burma, and only 1 of those spearheads needs to break through.

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 361
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/21/2004 8:36:41 PM   
brisd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

Yeah Luskan is looking for a decisive victory in China, but so far I have been able to trade territory for time, and have largely been able to keep all of my Chinese units intact.......this in turn forces Luskan to keep a LOT of troops in China, as I know that he would dearly love to ship them out else where.

Sir, I think that due to PP cost, those troops attached to the CEF are not available for use elsewhere. Might as well use them where they can be used. Your hit and run tactics into the China Sea with your carrier(s) is bold and a good warning to Japanese players that you need to protect what you've captured .

"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 362
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/22/2004 8:28:56 AM   
ColFrost

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

My plan is simple...hit him everywhere and look for the weakness then have the units ready to exploit the whole.

I thought the Soviets weren't in play yet? Sure sounds like the Russian battle plan for as long as I can remember.

...the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out and meet it.

-Thucydides

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 363
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/22/2004 11:45:36 AM   
Raverdave

Oh I wish !

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to ColFrost)
Post #: 364
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/22/2004 4:15:18 PM   
Raverdave

The air combat over Akyab grows intense with Luskan launching two raids.....my pilots claimed 24 nip planes shotdown, when infact 11 would be a more truthful number.and I lost about the same number. It is by no means clear as to who owns the skies over Akyab, but Luskan is able to break through my fighters to bomb the ships in the harbour, so in a way he is winning.

A Bombardment TF has been spotted heading for PM, I hope that he has some minesweepers with him
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 03/04/42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 21,47

Japanese Ships
DD Mutsuki
DD Yugiri
DD Sagiri
DD Ariake
DD Yugure
DD Nenohi
DD Shigure
DD Natsushio
DD Amatsukaze
DD Hayashio
CL Natori

Allied Ships
SS Permit, hits 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Akyab at 30,29

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 22
G4M1 Betty x 9

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 9
P-40B Tomahawk x 31

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 11 destroyed, 1 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 8 destroyed, 1 damaged
P-40B Tomahawk: 17 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Empire Tarpon, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Akyab at 30,29

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 17
G4M1 Betty x 9

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 8
P-40B Tomahawk x 26

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 destroyed, 1 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 7 destroyed, 4 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged
P-40B Tomahawk: 11 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Empire Cameron, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 365
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/22/2004 5:31:18 PM   
Grotius

Hmm, just what do you do when you want to bombard a mined harbor? Suck it up and take your lumps? Send in MSWs just ahead of the Bombardment TF and reckon that it's better that they get hit with air attacks than the combat ships?

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 366
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/22/2004 6:50:31 PM   
SunDevil_MatrixForum

Set bombers up for a port attack?

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 367
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/22/2004 8:17:11 PM   
Oznoyng

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Hmm, just what do you do when you want to bombard a mined harbor? Suck it up and take your lumps? Send in MSWs just ahead of the Bombardment TF and reckon that it's better that they get hit with air attacks than the combat ships?

I was under the impression that Bombardment task forces were largely immune to mines since they usually stayed so far offshore. I definately recall reading something like that from one of the Betas.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 368
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/22/2004 9:37:40 PM   
Nikademus

nope. I hit a couple while bomarding Akyab

(in reply to Oznoyng)
Post #: 369
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/23/2004 7:43:28 AM   
SunDevil_MatrixForum

So anything new? Are you guys going to continue after the patch comes out, or start over? I really wanted you guys to finish this game.

Just remember to watch out for the banana in the tailpipe trick.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 370
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/23/2004 8:20:18 AM   
Raverdave

Yeah I would think that we can continue. I want too as I have done nothing but play the allies in the early stage of the war, and so have always been on the receiving end of the bananananana. And to top it all off I already have most of my offensive plans for '43 in place, so from my POV it would be dissapointing to end the game early.
That said, you never know your luck in the big city............Luskan might surrender !

Speaking of plans for the future, I am currently working up some operations in the Northern Pacific, as this is one area that I have found Luskan to be very very weak, as most of his forces are in the SRA and also earmarked for the south pacific. Already I have had two successful raids on the home Islands with little or no response from Luskan. Also by forcing Luskan's attention in this area, I hope to pull some of his major fleet units north to relieve pressure in the west.

(in reply to SunDevil_MatrixForum)
Post #: 371
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/24/2004 2:08:03 AM   
Raverdave

Heye Banananananana boy.....my email server is down and should be fixed by about 1pm today (Sat).

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 372
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/24/2004 3:13:25 PM   
Luskan

Raver's email server is holding up our game.

not like I'm anxious for the next turn (gotta get my fix!) or anything!

Raver is right about the north pacific, I've basically stolen wake, left a big garrison with some eng for fort bulding and that is it. Will rectify the problem later (no resources up there to bother about lets be honest) - but have diverted some force to see if Raver is willing to make a serious play for it.

Much more interested to see if his Cv's are still in the kendari/DEI area as I've predicted they will be - hopefully to try to interdict my invasion tfs.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 373
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/24/2004 3:18:47 PM   
Raverdave

My ISP's mail server is up..........I am now just waiting on your turn.

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 374
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/25/2004 8:27:02 AM   
Luskan

You email server has a backup of about 5 turns I've sent it that haven't bounced. Talk to your isp and swear at them.

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 375
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/25/2004 10:36:54 AM   
Raverdave

Ok I have "talked" to them again............and I have also sent you another email on my primary Email address which should now be ok to use.
This is so bloody frustrating !

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 376
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/25/2004 5:17:06 PM   
Luskan

Still no love on the turns front. Going through withdrawals.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 377
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/26/2004 1:09:56 AM   
Raverdave

The turn was sitting in my inbox when I got up this morning.............but I didn't have time to run the turn before going to work (leave at 6am yuck), so I'll do it when I get home. I got to tell ya I have been getting the shakes from withdrawal.

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 378
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/26/2004 2:40:50 PM   
52nd Lowland

Yep im finding that as well before i realise that everyone else has a life and i dont Im avoiding the temptation to go into the opponents forum and ask if any one wants a full campaign PBEM....as if 2 UV PBEM and 3 WitP arent enough.Which they arent....

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 379
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/27/2004 12:45:25 AM   
Raverdave

So action at last !

Luskan's little run into PM cost him a Dog Dog.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 03/05/42

Naval bombardment of Port Moresby, at 53,91 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway: 5 destroyed, 1 damaged

5 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
DD Tomozuru
DD Hatsukari, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Manazuru
DD Chidori
DD Yunagi
DD Asanagi
DD Matsukaze
DD Asakaze
DD Inazuma
DD Ikazuchi
DD Yamagumo
CL Kuma
CA Ashigara
CA Maya

Allied ground losses:
22 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 42

Day Air attack on Lanchow , at 45,25

Allied aircraft
I-16c x 17
SB-2c x 15

Allied aircraft losses
SB-2c: 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x SB-2c bombing at 6000 feet
3 x SB-2c bombing at 6000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 55,95

Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 5

Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway: 2 destroyed, 4 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Manazuru
CA Maya

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x Wirraway bombing at 2000 feet
3 x Wirraway bombing at 2000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 55,95

Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 2

Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Ashigara

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Wirraway bombing at 2000 feet

(in reply to 52nd Lowland)
Post #: 380
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/27/2004 6:17:40 AM   
Knavey

Just want to say...

Thanks for an interesting read so far. Glad you guys are still going at it.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 381
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/27/2004 6:54:15 AM   
Raverdave

Thanks mate

Now that my Email problems are fixed, we are all just waiting for Luskan to get back (I think he is away with work) so that we can get stuck into it again.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 382
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/27/2004 7:08:52 AM   
Luskan

waiting for a turn!

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 383
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/27/2004 12:46:06 PM   
Raverdave

Sent 7:45..................let me know if you don't get it by say 9 pm tonight.

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 384
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/27/2004 3:12:18 PM   
Luskan

Thank God and his Holy Banana that finally our turns are getting through the tangled knot that is the cyberspace-superinformation-highway between sydney and melbourne (most of the knottiness is at the melb end I'm sure).

Finally some turns and some action.

Kongo and two other Bbs swept through akyab harbour this turn expecting to find yet more of Raver's transports there waiting to be sunk. To everyone's surprise, there weren't any, so Kongo and her group didn't even bombard, they just went home - refuelling on the way home got them bombed (although Raver's pilots still suck). Raver has massive numbers of troops in Akyab (massive for burma at least) and i'm expecting a very large army to come marching up that trail at Rangoon from one direction, and possibly a smaller one (maybe even a chinese one) coming up the road towards rangoon from inland.

My initial estimate of the jungle trails was, to put it mildly, optimistic. My mixed brigades that were moving in as wide attack prongs are moving very very slowly, while my armoured spearhead (I gathered about 5 arm regiments in the one place and sent them to Burma) were going to be unleashed up the railroad to meet their pincer, but it looks futile. By the time my mixed regiments actually get across the river and up into Mandalay and that sort of area Raver will have made the atomic bomb.

The reason for gathering an armoured spearhead was actually defensive - I have a couple of 100% divisions on the coast, with lots of arty and support units, building for a strike either up the coast or inland - but the armoured spearhead was formed to counter Raver's rather large british armoured division that will have arrived about a fortnight ago game time I think. We are on very variable reinforcement here so who knows. That is a palty UK armoured division by american/russian/german standards, but out here in the jungle it is a fast moving hard hitting force of about 80 light tanks and 120 medium tanks (IIRC - RAver can post the stats).

I had hoped, really truly hoped that Raver had stuck thme on a ship and sent them to akyab where I could sink them. more likely they're sailing down the railroad towards burma as we speak. I wanted my 5 regiments worth of tanks on hand to counter them if necessary. Of course, having 5 ARM units would be very useful in the event that I break through Raver's line (which I'm sure he's fortifying on the other side of the nearest River).

However the real threat is if I move inland, Raver flanks me from akyab.

In other theatres things are fairly quiet. Lots of R and R going on around the place. My new ops will begin in the next few turns.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 385
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/27/2004 3:37:41 PM   
Luskan

Here is the situation in Burma as my troops reported it after much recon a few days ago (can't post anything too high security). Have censored a little bit. Red arrows represent Raver's possible avenues of attack (although after his kick ass strategy of avoiding a fight in China I wouldn't be surprised if he just sat behind the irrawaddy until 44 and then let rip when I wasn't expecting. depends how patient he is). Note the large number of tanks at Akyab - But 1024 tanks . . . there are 3 indian arm units that could be in there as well. I'm hoping this means that this turn my babses have found the enemy armoured spearhead (and now I can watch it like a hawk. Soon as Raver moves forward down the trail, I'm gonna hve my own troops out of Rangoon and onto that vital intersection to meet him. only wish I could fortify it. A big battle on open ground - hence all my tank units.

Purple lines show you my possible advances, and you'll note Kongo, Haruna and Nagato doing some fishing at Akyab bay.

Speaking of akyab, I just remembered. Was so annoyed at kongo and her sisters just sailing past last night without firing a shot, I sent them back in. I actually wanted to detonate the AVG on the ground (they were there a few turns ago) but Raver moved them when he realised how close I was to hitting them. The results weren't too bad though ;)

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 03/07/42

TF 38 encounters mine field at Bataan (42,51)

Japanese Ships
MSW W.3
MSW W.4
MSW W.5
MSW W.6
AK Hokko Maru, Mine hits 1

Sub attack at 32,55

Japanese Ships
TK Juko Maru
PC Sonan Maru #6
MSW Asahi Maru

Allied Ships
SS Snapper

Naval bombardment of Akyab, at 30,29

Japanese Ships
DD Mutsuki
DD Yugiri
DD Sagiri
DD Ariake
DD Yugure
DD Nenohi
DD Shigure
DD Natsushio
DD Amatsukaze
DD Hayashio
CL Yubari
CL Tatsuta
CL Tenryu
CL Oi
CL Kiso
CL Tama
CL Natori
CA Kumano
CA Suzuya
CA Chokai
CA Atago
CA Takao
BB Nagato
BB Haruna
BB Kongo

Allied ground losses:
1187 casualties reported
Guns lost 29
Vehicles lost 12

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 18
Port hits 9
Port supply hits 8

Sub attack at 47,103

Japanese Ships
SS I-160

Allied Ships
AK Antares, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Day Air attack on Lanchow , at 45,25

Allied aircraft
I-16c x 2
SB-2c x 7

Allied aircraft losses
SB-2c: 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x SB-2c bombing at 6000 feet
Day Time Surface Combat, near Namlea at 38,73

Japanese Ships
CA Myoko
CA Haguro
CL Nagara
DD Yukikaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Michishio
DD Shiratsuyu
DD Harusame
DD Yamakaze
DD Umikaze
DD Fubuki
DD Hato

Allied Ships
PT PT-32, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PT PT-44, Shell hits 6, and is sunk
PT PT-46, Shell hits 4, and is sunk

Ground combat at 32,62

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 2667 troops, 16 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 1167 troops, 7 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 45 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
12 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
13 casualties reported

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 386
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/27/2004 3:58:47 PM   
Raverdave

Burma is the one area where I can hope to hold back the tied of Japanese conquests. I currently have three lines of defence, the first one consisting of Akyab-Pagan-Mandalay-Lashio. Manning this first line is 7 Regiments of Arty, 2 Tank Bdes, 9 inf Divisions and 8 Inf Bdes. If Luskan gets past the first line (and remember he has to take all four otherwise he leaves his LOC exposed)

The second line that he then hits is the Imphal-Kohima-Jorhat-Ledo line which has 3 Arty Regiments, 3 Inf Bdes and 2 class "A" British Inf Divisions (the 2nd and the 18th). As well as that I have the 5th Indian Divison due in the next 30 days as well as 3 Chindit Bdes and another Brit Inf Bde all due with in the next 90 days (Some earlier but loose lips sinks ships).

The third line that Luskan then hits is the Dacca-Dimapur line, and I dare say that his troops would be so buggered by then that they would not even have the strength left to fart !

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 387
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/27/2004 4:26:43 PM   
Raverdave

Interesting ! Code breakers have just reported that the is a buildup happening in the Marshall Islands centered around Kwajalein. It is suspected that there is at least one BB and one CV. Seems unlikely that there would only be one CV and BB so I and guessing that there is a CV battle group of no less than 4 CVs. It has also been noticed that there is a marked increase in air movements to Kwajalein also, but the I have nothing within range of any JAP bombers flying from the Marshalls so I am tipping that this is a defensive move. Note the word.....DEFENSIVE.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 388
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/27/2004 4:30:08 PM   
Raverdave

I am keeping mum about my movements in Burma.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 389
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/28/2004 10:26:21 AM   
Luskan

Raver's intel wasn't bad. Recent turns have seena large increase in supply and troops and planes in places like Truk, Palau, Rabaul and Kwajalein, as well as a few other choice places (hopefully Raver will try something in an area he's not expecting my strength - lets hope his sigint keeps him in the dark for a while) as a reactionary measure to his little CV raid. I've got three cv divisions, one just arrived at kwajalein but has moved on since. I've spread out my coverage properly to ensure the next time this happens I'll be on hand with my elite pilots vs his crappy pilots (even if he outnumbers me).

My sigint was very helpful this turn. Confirmed that indeed american troops ARE using the radio at pearl harbour. sheesh.

Happy to report lots of repaired ships rejoining the battle lines, and the sinking of an enemy sub in the bay of bengal. Next few moves should be good.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Battle of the CD units Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI