Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? - 6/25/2004 4:00:16 PM   
Yamashita

Have a delay mission coming up with visibility of only 2 hexes, now this is something I've never done before & poses some problems it would seem-as well as some advantages. Any advice or thoughts ??

Also do fires create aditional light ? or just reduced vis due to smoke ?
Post #: 1
RE: Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? - 6/25/2004 5:01:06 PM   
FlashfyreSP

Any mission that has a viz of 5 or less, forget buying long-range AT stuff...get lots of MGs for anti-infantry, and buy lots of infantry/engineeres...anything with organic AT weapons. If you are facing a nation like Japan with weak armor and lots of infantry, buy foot units that have extra weapons, especially LMGs.

Fires do not affect visibility; all they do is add smoke to the field.

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 2
RE: Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? - 6/25/2004 5:04:31 PM   
Voriax

Get infantry units armed with submachine guns, if possible. They can mow down full squads with one shot. Flashfyres advice is quite okay, imho

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 3
RE: Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? - 6/25/2004 6:34:41 PM   
Poopyhead

Of course, you can extend the visibilible area with a good recon screen. I once outflanked a Polish force in a night action by finding out where they weren't.

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 4
RE: Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? - 6/25/2004 8:26:24 PM   
Yamashita

Thanks guys!

Will try to get plenty of infantry, with some SMG equipped units & recon boys. Going to an interesting fight that's for sure!

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 5
RE: Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? - 6/25/2004 8:56:49 PM   
rbrunsman

You'll want a fast reaction force too. If you have HT and CS tanks you can really crush any resistance where it is found.

If you spread all the Inf and MGs evenly across the map to cover the whole field, you'll be screwed once the attacker punches through your lines.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 6
RE: Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? - 6/25/2004 10:00:16 PM   
Goblin

Where you can, double up your units, such as a tank and infantry squad in the same hex. You will smash attackers who cannot bring enough fire-power to bear due to the low visibility.

Goblin

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 7
RE: Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? - 6/26/2004 12:32:56 AM   
Yamashita

Lots of good stuff thanks again.

Brun , yeah the fast reaction force is a bit of a problem as I'm playing Japanese & have no 1/2 tracks & the tanks are too small to carry much. Also makes it hard to rapidly shift the point of attack like you can do with German units.
In the low vis the infantry can double time it some, but basically I have to use the tanks alone as my reaction force if the different objectives i'm protecting are very far apart. Luckily the Russki's infantry suffers from very low morale, so they haven't been able to take out any tanks yet. Thanks for pointing that out I will have to think about where I position units pretty carefully.

Can't wait to get started! Banzai!

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 8
RE: Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? - 6/26/2004 12:37:46 AM   
Mangudai

Plenty of knee mortars will help. This should supress the enemy enough to stall any breakthroughs. Since you'll be dropping mortars close to your own lines, make sure they're small caliber.

You could also use alot of mines and barbwire.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 9
RE: Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? - 6/26/2004 12:49:35 AM   
Yamashita

oh, another good point small mortars would be better if i'm liable to hit my own guys, hadn't thought of that.
You guys are a gold mine.

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 10
RE: Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? - 6/26/2004 12:56:48 AM   
KG Erwin

Playing in poor visibility means lots of close combat, which is a great challenge in my USMC vs Japan jungle battles. I've learned to make extensive use of mortars, and I even deploy engineer units, supported by MGs, as frontline defenders. Goblin is correct in favoring stacking armor with frontline infantry. In these situations, you really learn to appreciate the killing power of Thompsons and other SMGs at 1-hex range.

The worst part is having an advance mission in jungle rain or storms, when your infantry is limited to advancing one hex per turn.

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 11
RE: Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? - 6/27/2004 11:57:43 PM   
Yamashita

Well it was a pretty ferocious battle. But not as good as I'd expected because the AI (USSR 39) sent all it's tanks in first.

By using recon up front I was able to pound their advanceing troops with 150 mm mortars & 75 mm battery. This further delayed the infantry & helped keep the tanks buttoned up i think.

The AI did sneek one BT7a around the map edge out of range of my scouts & about 7 turns into the game I was surprised to see the rear 2 Victory areas were in enemy hands! I managed to pull a reaction force out of the line ( I had already committed them) & pounded the victory hexes with arty until they could be assaulted. Fortunately the arty was very effective.

Accidently blasted one of my own eng squads who were pinned in a hex with a Ruski tank. There was so much smoke , flames & wrecks I couldn't see them & let a tank & another engineer squad op fire at the enemy tank. Confusion of battle eh?

loving those 150 mm mortars! Thanks for the advice!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
RE: Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? - 6/28/2004 12:50:15 AM   
KG Erwin

Yeah, those dreaded 150mm Mortars--these are what the Marines who faced them called "Pistol Pete". Heckuva pistol, huh?

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Defending with Visibility=2 hexes ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI