Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Something has to be done about Allied ASW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Something has to be done about Allied ASW Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 6:48:51 PM   
Fallschirmjager

I was up most of the night running my test and its finally complete.
I ignored alot of areas of the game and simmed it out to June 1st.
I played a head to head game and left the Japanese subs on Computer control to sim what they would do under normal AI conditions.
As for myself I tried to play in a normal manner since I knew where the Japanese subs are. 95% of my kills were the AI subs attacking my convoys or warships. The only time I sent out ASW TF's was when my search planes detected them.
I did not get a single kill from ASW planes (that should probably be adjusted too).
As of June 1st 1941 I had sank a whooping 71% of the Japanese sub fleet

Perhaps the subs were used in an ahistorical way. If that is the case then the AI needs to be adjusted to avoid such circumstances.

Post #: 1
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 6:52:46 PM   
Drongo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

I played a head to head game and left the Japanese subs on Computer control to sim what they would do under normal AI conditions.
As for myself I tried to play in a normal manner since I knew where the Japanese subs are. 95% of my kills were the AI subs attacking my convoys or warships. The only time I sent out ASW TF's was when my search planes detected them.
I did not get a single kill from ASW planes (that should probably be adjusted too).

Perhaps the subs were used in an ahistorical way. If that is the case then the AI needs to be adjusted to avoid such circumstances.

Quick question. Where did most of the ASW combat occur, shallow or deep water?

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 2
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 7:29:06 PM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drongo

quote:

Quick question. Where did most of the ASW combat occur, shallow or deep water?

about 1/3 deep water and 2/3 deep water if I am reading the map correctly.

Most of the combat occured not right off the coast but one hex from the coast in deep water. Also alot of mid ocean sub combat took place.
IMO the ability to find subs is fine. If you are attacked you have a pretty good idea of where one lies. But depth charges are 21st century laser guided munitions in the game.
There accuracy needs to be toned down.
Maybe its just me...but I find them a little bit too powerful. I dont think the ship damage model can be applied. Am I right in saying that 99% of depth charge damage is down through concussive damage and not kinetic damage?

(in reply to Drongo)
Post #: 3
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 7:38:29 PM   
Caltone

Way it seems now, if any Japanese sub get subjected to ASW attack, its a goner. OTOH Japanese ASW feels about right if not a little too low.

Post #: 4
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 7:45:59 PM   
Fallschirmjager

IJN depth charges seem too accurate as well. But they seem to find subs alot less.
I havnt played the IJN near as much so other will better be able to testify to the effectivness of the IJN side.

(in reply to Caltone)
Post #: 5
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 7:49:35 PM   
The Gnome

There's seems to be too much of a hit or miss affect with the depth charges. I'm not talking the contact detonated ones like hedgehog, but for the true depth charge the damage should be more variable. Near misses should do a lot less damage and very few should be "direct hits".

Post #: 6
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 7:50:41 PM   
Brady

I agree with Fallschirmjager, it seams a bit to good to be true for the Allies, I had a PT Boat in a convoy of Just PT's and a Tender, depth charge a Japanese sub and sink it in deep water the other night, this from a convoy compleatly devoid of Sonar,also interesting is the PT's carrying depth charges and Torpedoes, somthing I thought they could not or rather did not do.

Post #: 7
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 7:51:45 PM   
ltfightr

I think the real problem is that depth charges are too leathal IIRC many subs were damaged by depth charge concussions and suffered even severe damage and made it back to port. In UV and so far in WITP a hit by a ships depth charge is fatal.

Post #: 8
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 7:53:03 PM   
John B

On turn 2 and 3 of the Campaign Game I nailed three Jap SS in shallow water around Pearl. Haven't as yet encountered any others. Jap ASW seems OK. I'm not sure whether Allied SS are sinking slightly more Jap ships than they should be at that stage of the war (early Jan '41). Though this may be because Dutch SS seem lethal.

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 9
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 8:06:54 PM   
Drongo

quote:

about 1/3 deep water and 2/3 deep water if I am reading the map correctly.

Most of the combat occured not right off the coast but one hex from the coast in deep water. Also alot of mid ocean sub combat took place.
IMO the ability to find subs is fine. If you are attacked you have a pretty good idea of where one lies. But depth charges are 21st century laser guided munitions in the game.
There accuracy needs to be toned down.
Maybe its just me...but I find them a little bit too powerful. I dont think the ship damage model can be applied. Am I right in saying that 99% of depth charge damage is down through concussive damage and not kinetic damage?

OK. A lot of factors influence ASW results.

I can't say specifically why you got those results but if you feel the ASW model should change, you're entitled to ask for it (though I'm not sure what 2x3 are planning to cover in the next patch).

Cheers

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

Post #: 10
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 8:12:09 PM   
Fallschirmjager

Running that test was a marthon

I will need help from others if we are to get accurate tests. Set up your own tests and run the game out several months. Play Head to head and use the method I outlined in my first post.
I would hate to get the game changed just by one test I made. I hope several others run it as well.

(in reply to Drongo)
Post #: 11
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 8:15:33 PM   
doktor1957

I may have missed this in the earlier posts, but was Fog of War on? I'm sure that kill claims are vastly inflated, as in real life.

Dave
San Diego

Post #: 12
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 8:15:56 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

I agree with Fallschirmjager, it seams a bit to good to be true for the Allies, I had a PT Boat in a convoy of Just PT's and a Tender, depth charge a Japanese sub and sink it in deep water the other night, this from a convoy compleatly devoid of Sonar,also interesting is the PT's carrying depth charges and Torpedoes, somthing I thought they could not or rather did not do.

from what was just on TV on PT Boats, the back two Trop tubes could be taken off and used for DC's, so it looks like they could carry both, only with less Tubes for Trops

HARD_Sarge

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 13
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 8:20:58 PM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: doktor1957

I may have missed this in the earlier posts, but was Fog of War on? I'm sure that kill claims are vastly inflated, as in real life.

Dave
San Diego

I was playing both sides.

(in reply to doktor1957)
Post #: 14
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 8:27:25 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: ltfightr

I think the real problem is that depth charges are too leathal IIRC many subs were damaged by depth charge concussions and suffered even severe damage and made it back to port. In UV and so far in WITP a hit by a ships depth charge is fatal.

I think the problem also lies in flooding damage. I have several subs in my PBEM that have like 20 sys damage and like 50 flooding. They are moving 1 hex per turn towards the nearest friendly port, and gaining 2-5 flooding per turn.. There is no way these subs will make it home... Shouldn't flooding be less if you are moving less ? A single Depth charge hit these subs and they will sink due to flooding damage.. Kinda odd, especially if the holes in the hull are on the top and she is on the surface moving slow...

There should be some way to lessen the flooding damage on subs. I understand water is destructive, but a sub is supposed to be air tight - seal the bulkhead doors and no more flooding.... There is only so much space for the water to go once the bulkheads are sealed... and if they are leaking (probably) it shouldn't be beyond what they can pump (or even bucket brigade) out of the sub - especially if they stay near the surface (on the surface or just the bulk of the sub below, conning tower above).

And since we're talking about subs, Japanese sub-fired torps have to high a dud rate if you ask me.. My subs have fired roughly 20 times and 3 have been duds... thats 15% (most have been misses).. Is this historical ? And why when they fire 4 torps if ones a dud, they all are ?

Xargun

(in reply to ltfightr)
Post #: 15
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 8:29:48 PM   
Pier5

I can't comment on the actual results with very few actual contacts with Japanese subs. But the I boats were huge submarines (required to get the range necessitated by Pacific operations, i imagine), therefore, easy to detect and not very maneuverable. Couple this with a diving depth limited to only 200 feet and it doesn't make much difference how deep the water is, that sub isn't going very deep regardless (until it's sunk, that is ). I can certainly see why they are very sinkable.

Pier5

Post #: 16
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 8:44:48 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pier5

I can't comment on the actual results with very few actual contacts with Japanese subs. But the I boats were huge submarines (required to get the range necessitated by Pacific operations, i imagine), therefore, easy to detect and not very maneuverable. Couple this with a diving depth limited to only 200 feet and it doesn't make much difference how deep the water is, that sub isn't going very deep regardless (until it's sunk, that is ). I can certainly see why they are very sinkable.

Pier5

If this is modeled then it makes sense... IF its modeled... Can someone (beta, designer) answer this... It may clear up a lot of Allied ASW complaints.

Xargun

(in reply to Pier5)
Post #: 17
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 9:14:19 PM   
JohnK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pier5

I can't comment on the actual results with very few actual contacts with Japanese subs. But the I boats were huge submarines (required to get the range necessitated by Pacific operations, i imagine), therefore, easy to detect and not very maneuverable. Couple this with a diving depth limited to only 200 feet and it doesn't make much difference how deep the water is, that sub isn't going very deep regardless (until it's sunk, that is ). I can certainly see why they are very sinkable

The rational thing to do is look at actual Japanese sub losses.

I haven't gotten the WWII Conway's yet, so I looked at a couple of websites to get losses from the beginning of the war through the end of 1942.

I show the Japanese losing 20 submarines in the first year of the war. With sub doctrine on, WITP should at LEAST be in the ballpark; if the Allies are consistently killing 40+ subs through Dec. 31 1942 with sub doctrine on in multiple games (I'd say 10 would be a valid sample), then Houston, we have a problem.

The issue with doctrine off is an interesting one. I'd submit the Japanese would have lost more subs had they been conducting an aggressive anti-commerce campaign; as actually used, Japanese subs spent a lot of time doing nothing waiting for warships, or doing recon.

< Message edited by JohnK -- 7/6/2004 7:14:59 PM >

(in reply to Pier5)
Post #: 18
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 9:19:44 PM   
Feinder

Be aware that subs don't have -that- many compartments. There are 8 on the fairly large Gato class. You fill one, and you're now carrying a LOT of water. You fill two, and you better be heading up. You fill 3, and you're probably not going up.

I'd expect that the early war S and T class subs might have had fewer compartments, altho I'd bet the IJN fleet subs probably had 8 compartments (because of their size). But like I said, 8 or 6, you're still talking about a LOT of water. And you've got seal off that bulkhead FAST, because force of the water coming in, will likely preclude you from closing the next hatch. But it's really only going to take 1 or 2 "on the mark" DCs to cripple or sink a sub.

Also understand that when you see the "Type 16 Depth Charge" with 4 ammo, that means 4 -salvos- (of probably 12 depth charges), not just rolling four depth charges off the back.

I know that there was considerable "tweaking" to the ASW combat in UV (the engine upon which WitP is based). Remember tho that, we players will compell a lot more actions, and a lot more intense than were historical. But the scope of UV was certainly smaller, and it may very well be that WitP could use some tweaking (for longevity purposes).

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 19
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 9:29:42 PM   
JohnK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Be aware that subs don't have -that- many compartments. There are 8 on the fairly large Gato class. You fill one, and you're now carrying a LOT of water. You fill two, and you better be heading up. You fill 3, and you're probably not going up.

I'd expect that the early war S and T class subs might have had fewer compartments, altho I'd bet the IJN fleet subs probably had 8 compartments (because of their size). But like I said, 8 or 6, you're still talking about a LOT of water. And you've got seal off that bulkhead FAST, because force of the water coming in, will likely preclude you from closing the next hatch. But it's really only going to take 1 or 2 "on the mark" DCs to cripple or sink a sub.

Also understand that when you see the "Type 16 Depth Charge" with 4 ammo, that means 4 -salvos- (of probably 12 depth charges), not just rolling four depth charges off the back.

I know that there was considerable "tweaking" to the ASW combat in UV (the engine upon which WitP is based). Remember tho that, we players will compell a lot more actions, and a lot more intense than were historical. But the scope of UV was certainly smaller, and it may very well be that WitP could use some tweaking (for longevity purposes).

A little worrying the first instinct people had was to discuss the microtactical modeling of the effect of depth charges on the compartments of Japanese subs than to look up what subs the Japanese actually lost in in the war :-)

One important effect, I suspect, is that submarines in WITP are likely at Sea for a MUCH greater % of time than in reality.

I don't think the cumulative SYS damage from simply being at sea really forces enough time in port to be realistic, for submarines.

It gets repaired pretty fast. The reality is, wear and tear that might not really reduce a subs speed may well require a long overhaul once the sub is in port, to prevent a catastrophic failure.....don't think WITP captures this.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 20
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 9:41:44 PM   
Point Luck

I was waiting for this to come along

Lets not the same mistake as in UV - They tweaked US ASW and when they were finished there was hardly any way to sink IJN subs

I've been running the some tests also

quote:

I did not get a single kill from ASW planes (that should probably be adjusted too)
quote:

I also haven't got any hits from ASW A/C I used varrying alt from 100 to 2000 feet.

quote:

I also had great results , but here are some additional factors to consider.

When ASW TF was made up of less than 5 DD’s or DE’s not so many sub hits.
TF’s with greater than 8-10 ASW ships Kills went up considerably.
Large ASW TF’s hits in both shallow and deep water,
Small ASW TF’s not a lot of deep water hits mostly shallow contacts.

Also greater hits when more subs are in the same hex with either Large or Small ASW TF's

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 21
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 9:42:00 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

-F-

I understand this (not as detailed as you) but simply because the torpedo room is flooded doesn't mean the next compartment will automatically flood.. If so, then subs are useless... I just think subs should either sink in a day or so (from damage / flooding) or stabilize the flooding enough to make it to a nearby port for some help.. I see no reason why 30 flooding damage will sink a sub just cuz it has to sail 30 hexes to get home.. The flooding should kill it quick - not taking days.... I have no problem with my subs taking a couple hits and sinking - especially if they returned fire and got a warship or other target... My complaint is they give you a glimpse of hope but not sinking and it will take weeks to get to a port and by then its already sunk - just kind of a let down.. know what I mean ?

"Yeah we survived the attack and got away - lets go home... "
"Uhm guys.. We survived the attack but we will never make it home as we are leaking 1 gallon an hour and in 6 days we will sink."
"Kill him !!!"

Xargun

PS Just me whining.. Sink me or let me get the wreck back home...

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 22
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 9:47:51 PM   
Nikademus

unless the DC strikes very close or on the sub, a sub (depending on class and circumstances of course) could take a fair to great amount of punishment before becoming either disabled or sunk.

A large # of subs had to be battered to the surface before they could destroyed or scuttled by the crew.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 23
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 10:00:55 PM   
von Murrin

I haven't seen this overkill everyone seems to be getting. The only IJN subs I've killed bottomed out in shallow water. That makes for a 15% chance of getting killed when attacking from shallow water, and 0% from deep water for me.

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 24
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 10:41:50 PM   
Subchaser

In one of my tests US destroyer sunk 4(!) I-boats during two turns… all in deep waters near PH. Is there any way to dismount those ASROCs? For pure historical purposes… of course

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 25
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 11:19:51 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

Running that test was a marthon

I will need help from others if we are to get accurate tests. Set up your own tests and run the game out several months. Play Head to head and use the method I outlined in my first post.
I would hate to get the game changed just by one test I made. I hope several others run it as well.

And to think the ASW techniques get better as the war progresses.

Post #: 26
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 11:27:47 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: ltfightr

I think the problem also lies in flooding damage. I have several subs in my PBEM that have like 20 sys damage and like 50 flooding. They are moving 1 hex per turn towards the nearest friendly port, and gaining 2-5 flooding per turn.. There is no way these subs will make it home... Shouldn't flooding be less if you are moving less ? A single Depth charge hit these subs and they will sink due to flooding damage.. Kinda odd, especially if the holes in the hull are on the top and she is on the surface moving slow...

There should be some way to lessen the flooding damage on subs. I understand water is destructive, but a sub is supposed to be air tight - seal the bulkhead doors and no more flooding.... There is only so much space for the water to go once the bulkheads are sealed... and if they are leaking (probably) it shouldn't be beyond what they can pump (or even bucket brigade) out of the sub - especially if they stay near the surface (on the surface or just the bulk of the sub below, conning tower above).

And since we're talking about subs, Japanese sub-fired torps have to high a dud rate if you ask me.. My subs have fired roughly 20 times and 3 have been duds... thats 15% (most have been misses).. Is this historical ? And why when they fire 4 torps if ones a dud, they all are ?

Xargun

If the Japanese are runnign with wartime sub doctrine, htere is a provision for some type of ship, that they will "never" fire more than one torp at it. I recall it also stated that they wouldn't fire more than 3 at a cruiser. They had a specific amount of torps they were allowed to fire at specific targets. I'm serious!

What you brought up certainly brings to mind that the damaged sub should have less flooding problems when they are away from surface vessels or planes, and more when they are in threatening waters. The majority of the ocean won't have TF's at least, hovering over their head, assuming, that is, that they got away in the first place. They should certainly be surfaced at night.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 27
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/6/2004 11:53:51 PM   
Damien Thorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Point Luck

I was waiting for this to come along

Lets not the same mistake as in UV - They tweaked US ASW and when they were finished there was hardly any way to sink IJN subs

I've been running the some tests also

You must be thinking of the IJN ASW in UV because the US ASW works as well in UV as it does in WitP (which is to say WAY too well). The tweeking they did in UV was to add nationality and time modifiers to the formulas. This effectively cut the IJN ASW in half but didn't do anything to the US ASW. These values (nationality and month/year modifiers should be visible in the eitor and editable.

Anti-sub weapons do a lot of damage if you can find your opponent. The problem is that the US seems to find their opponents all the time while the Japanese never seem to.

Edited for spelling

< Message edited by Damien Thorn -- 7/6/2004 4:54:21 PM >

(in reply to Point Luck)
Post #: 28
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/7/2004 12:25:27 AM   
Nikademus

If you commit enough ASW into one TF, You can be successful as Japan, but its no gurantee and shallow water does help alot. I've managed to hit 1 or 2 subs in deep water but only for damage.

(in reply to Damien Thorn)
Post #: 29
RE: Something has to be done about Allied ASW - 7/7/2004 12:52:21 AM   
Brady

" Is there any way to dismount those ASROCs? "

LOL, or at least take the Nuclear Warhead of them...

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Something has to be done about Allied ASW Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI