Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Victory point calculations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Victory point calculations? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Victory point calculations? - 1/6/2002 7:58:00 PM   
Scorpion_sk

I´m wondering about the victory points received after a battle...For example, I hold a hex that gives me 50 pts a turn for the whole game, capture all the VLs and keep most of my force intact. My opponent does little.
Still, I very often get weird results, with me being only a thousand or so points ahead and the result being a "draw".
This happens to me all the time (in v. 7.0) What´s there to know about victory point calculations?

Post #: 1
- 1/7/2002 12:04:00 AM   
Scorpion_sk

Specifically, I mean that I do not get enough victory points for the victory hexes I´ve captured, never mind about scoring points for wiping out enemy units. The AI enemy, on the other hand, seems to be gaining some mysterious bonus points. This is true MC F, but also in other battles....

(in reply to Scorpion_sk)
Post #: 2
- 1/7/2002 1:44:00 AM   
Janusz

I agree Looks like a bug in ver 7.0 Is 5000:1000 Minor Victory or higher ? ( For me point calculations in 7.0 is wrong

Post #: 3
- 1/7/2002 1:51:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Janusz:
I agree Looks like a bug in ver 7.0 Is 5000:1000 Minor Victory or higher ? ( For me point calculations in 7.0 is wrong
5:1 is a minor victory, you have to get to 6:1 against the ai to get a decisive. Wasn't it a 10:1 for a decisive in SP1? I get a lot more decisives in SPWAW than I ever did in SP1. If you had lost a few less units and kept the ai down to 833 points you would have had a decisive. Your best bet for getting a decisive is keep your troops alive. Give the ai as few points as possible, it will have to work to take them instead.
thanks, John.

Post #: 4
- 1/7/2002 2:24:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Scorpion_sk:
I´m wondering about the victory points received after a battle...For example, I hold a hex that gives me 50 pts a turn for the whole game, capture all the VLs and keep most of my force intact. My opponent does little.
Still, I very often get weird results, with me being only a thousand or so points ahead and the result being a "draw".
This happens to me all the time (in v. 7.0) What´s there to know about victory point calculations?

Was this in the battle generator, scenarios, or in one of the campaigns? Were there any exit hexes for your side, since they add a percentage of your forces as victory points to your opponent? Did you call for any reinforcements, they count points for your opponent as well? Were there any hidden victory hexes? It could be any or all of the above that were giving your opponent their points. When you say you were 1000 points ahead was that like 1200 to 200 or 13000 to 12000, it is a big difference in one and a small differance in the other. What size battles do you play? If you regularly play with 12000 points per side, the victory hexes will have little effect on the total score since far more units will be there to kill. If you play with 1000 points per side, the victory hexes outshadow the points for kills.
thanks, John.

Post #: 5
- 1/10/2002 6:25:00 AM   
Scorpion_sk

Ok, let´s see. I vas a bit vague. Ok, this happens in MCDF, like I mentioned in the second post (I really haven´t played the other, normal campaigns). What I´m talking about are the battles for Tobruk, for instance. In the first battle, I win c. 3200 v. 5700. It´s a draw. (Ok I got blasted in that one) In the third battle of Tobruk (the breakthrough)
I break through with at least 80-85% of my troops, killing a lot of the enemy troops (rolled around the flanks) and took all the victory hexes (should be 500-1000 a pop) and killed a couple of command bunkers (1000 p each). This is the reason I got confused at first: why is it a "draw"?
There´re no units left for the enemy except a handful of bunkers and one broken down MAtilda II. Still, the AI ends up just a couple of thousand VPs behind me again (in the 3000-5000 pt range again, I should have easily gotten more).
Is the AI getting oodles of points for every kill it makes? Seems so. Also, it´s getting a lot of bonus points for some missions (maybe it´s rigged in the MC). Finally, it looks like I´m being denied a lot of the VPs that should have been mine.
Especially the "xpoints per turn"-hexes seem not to be working. I´m doubting the normal VLs, too. Oh...and it happened again when I was holding the line against the brits in the battle after Brevity... I wiped ´em out, lost a platoon or so of tanks and a couple of inf squads plus halftracks and acs, got the VLs....hmmm it´s a draw, says the screen after the british prematurely end the battle by breaking. Something is definitely not right here.

Post #: 6
- 1/10/2002 8:46:00 AM   
Anthony_MatrixForum

Agreed, Something is definitely wonky in the VP calculations, see http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=008044 I suspect this is a V7.0 problem ? Anthony

Post #: 7
- 1/10/2002 3:03:00 PM   
Scorpion_sk

Looks like we have another, this time a bit more severe bug in our hands. It has cost me 4 victories (turned them into draws) in the MC already, at least two of which are definitely in error. I won´t be playing MCDF or the other two MCs until the problem is fixed.... This is NOT the way to help out the AI...
and besides it´d make playing H2H a moot point.

Post #: 8
- 1/10/2002 8:50:00 PM   
Alexandra

I don't think there's a VP bug in Desert Fox. After all, after 4 scens, I have 3 DVs and a MV, so, if there's a bug, I'm a much better player than I thought Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 9
- 1/11/2002 1:24:00 AM   
Scorpion_sk

That´s only 4 battles into the campaign. I got DVs all the way up until the mission where you attack the town (Where the brits are in ambush and there´re lots of hidden vhexes) The draw there was deserved (although I came out ahead and thought I should have been more in the lead....oh well)

Post #: 10
- 1/16/2002 6:34:00 AM   
Anthony_MatrixForum

I am beginning to suspect the VP problem is only
for win2000 machines Does anyone else have any evidence one way or the other ??? I will conduct some tests later today... Anthony

Post #: 11
- 1/16/2002 7:01:00 AM   
Bing

I've got v7.0 "official" installed and am running the first battle of Bill's U2R campaign. I have my notes from previous plays and will report back at the end of the battle. I think the points ratio used to be different, lower for a DV; does anyone have notes for v6.1 and prior??? BIng

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

Post #: 12
- 1/16/2002 8:09:00 AM   
Anthony_MatrixForum

Test #1, win 2000, v7.1 beta "Catch that train"
All train units destroyed, all fuel dunps destroyed, many british inf and tanks destroyed,
british force morale broken by turn 8 Only one live unit on map, all other units exitted
by exit hexes before turn 9. The points for eixting displayed in on-screen turn log(F5) Game saved in turn 9, backup made for testing Captured objectives to the value of 250 Final score, as reported by the MC
German 250
Britian 1350 German unit losses approx 503
Britan ?? It looks like only the objectives are being scored here, not getting any points for brit units or units that have exited the game.

Post #: 13
- 1/16/2002 8:32:00 AM   
Tombstone

Man, that sucks. I have a win2k machine... I remember something like that happening, but it wasn't so clear. I took a fair number of losses, but I did clear that map and escape with the majority of my units, and still lost. Tomo

Post #: 14
- 1/16/2002 9:02:00 AM   
Anthony_MatrixForum

It seems to a save game problem, (Win 2000, spwaw 7.1 beta) I redid the scenario, __without saving__ and the final score came out at Germany 17688
Britain 1982 I lost a few units in the rush of a tetsing game, but that now seems reasonable !!!
Anthony

Post #: 15
- 1/16/2002 10:49:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Thnask for the info on this. We will take a look at it. DOes anyone with WIN XP have teh same problem? THe little "Gotchas" in the different versions of windows is enough to make you cry in your beer sometimes...

Post #: 16
- 1/17/2002 6:02:00 AM   
Anthony_MatrixForum

Test #3 I took the save game from above and loaded it
onto a win98SE machine - this also has the same incorrect VPs. Conclusion => It must be when the game is saving, not loading. ? Anthony

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Victory point calculations? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI