Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Whats exactly "new" in 8.2?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 7/22/2004 3:35:50 AM   
Kristo Vaher

Am currently downloading 8.2, the game I really love. But dont know whats exactly new then in 8.2? Heard some things about some OOB's (and what are they exactly?). Well as I can understand, there are unit parameter updates and scenario fixes. But havent found any "whats new" readme or something yet? Any gameplay tweaks, additions?

Or just flame me if IM missing something (or some topic, text document, or a button).

(Just got tired of browsing the forums trying to separate wishlists from maybe's from actual facts, all in that same technical OOB mumbo jumbo and stuff.)

:)

Oh, also, before the release, the hotshots mentioned some great new extra feature or something (one of the reasons for delaying the 8.2 in the first place), that they didnt want to talk about before the release, keeping it as a surprise. What was it exactly? Hope that not the 8.2 + Mega Campaigns thing, for thats just all in one thing and nothing new really.

< Message edited by Kristo Vaher -- 7/22/2004 1:37:40 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 7/22/2004 4:22:04 AM   
KG Erwin

Kristo, you will find three document files which detail the changes for 8.2 in the main SPWaW folder. The 8.2 OOB change doc is not a detailed unit by unit listing--there were literally hundreds of changes--I was a contributor for the USMC and a frew other OOBs, and after the first few dozen changes in that I frankly lost track. The tweaks are still going on, so there will be an eventual patch to 8.2 to correct some minor issues. Another ongoing work is in converting older scenarios to 8.2 standards--this is a long-term project. There are new ENC entries for the Italians--other nations' ENC entries are being worked on. This is an exciting change--the game is becoming as much an informational source as it is an immersive gaming experience.

The main point is this--even though Matrix released this as a freebie, the support for it will continue, through the company site and through fan-released scenarios and alternative OOB sets. SPWaW's potential is far from being exhausted, and it will provide you with new challenges on new battlefields for years to come.

(in reply to Kristo Vaher)
Post #: 2
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 7/22/2004 4:51:28 AM   
Goblin

Lol, in other words, your guess is as good as anyones, Kristo.

Goblin

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 7/26/2004 7:21:52 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Goblin, you of all people should know better! Take a closer look , there is a difference.

KED

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 4
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 7/26/2004 6:10:08 PM   
BryanMelvin

There were many changes. Some were to the Mech.exe to stop memory leaks and improve AI mechanics.

As for OObs, much was done according to the suggestions of you in the gaming community.

I hope to release an Excel Spread Sheet with all the info on what was done in the near future. Its size is well over 3 megs.

OThere have been only a few minor things we missed in the oobs and they are fixed and I'll release these to Matrix July 27, 2004.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 7/27/2004 3:44:34 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Adn better is yet to come!!!

KED

(in reply to BryanMelvin)
Post #: 6
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 7/27/2004 10:05:59 AM   
BryanMelvin

Here a few more things. We updated the Rifle Grenades and added a few for scenario designers to use. A few new Japanese Infantry units were made that carry the new japanese RG's.

Off map Artillery Cost has been standardized. Several heavy SPA units, like the Hummel cost more as requested.

And yes, the RL's cost was reduced so can use these for pbem games.

I'll send these in to matrixgames late Tuesday.

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 7
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 7/27/2004 3:39:09 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: BryanMelvin

And yes, the RL's cost was reduced so can use these for pbem games.

I'll send these in to matrixgames late Tuesday.

RLs ??

(in reply to BryanMelvin)
Post #: 8
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 7/27/2004 6:51:31 PM   
KG Erwin

Recoiless Rifles (RCLs), Alby. The German ones were too expensive, so they got a price cut. They are still not a Wal-Mart special, but they are now cheaper than 88s.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 9
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 7/28/2004 2:57:23 AM   
KG Erwin

While off-board arty prices will remain as is, we will see a reduction in some on-board mortar prices. Also, the Hummels are now more expensive and the German RCLs have been reduced in price, as the players requested.

Also, the Rifle Grenade is back, and it has been revamped for some nations. The US Army and Marines will have the M1 RGL, which has a limited armor-pen capability.
(Note: I left these out of the USMC for lack of weapons slots)

Personal observation: I see a general tendency for infantry to be accented more, which is proper. The mortar is also becoming more a weapon of choice-- it was cheap to produce and serves as the battalion or company commander's "personal artillery". This is true for all theaters of war, so I think we're getting closer to SPWaW becoming a reasonable facsimile of "The World at War" and combined arms warfare, rather than a simplistic and stylized clash of armored beasts.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/27/2004 8:29:44 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 10
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 7/28/2004 5:59:34 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Erwin,
Good post!

KED

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 7/28/2004 5:50:00 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Recoiless Rifles (RCLs), Alby. The German ones were too expensive, so they got a price cut. They are still not a Wal-Mart special, but they are now cheaper than 88s.

Thanks, thought thats what he meant by RL but wasnt sure

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 7/30/2004 4:28:31 PM   
BEER

If will not complicate tell more in detail about changes in Russian ООВ! In the document it is told about manual pomegranates and rifles, also it is told that there were changes in the reservation of Russian tanks. But I am interested more with those changes that disappear under a phrase - many other changes!
And still such question - what for have added lorry AMO-15 and why have not removed SU-37??? AMO-15 the first Soviet lorry and since 1935 his manufacture has stopped. Self-propelled installation SU-37 have let out only one piece!She did not participate in operations!!!!

Whether it was better to add lorry ZIS-42 and transport tractor STZ-5. On base STZ-5 installations of jet mortars were issued. Russian ООB it is possible to update very strongly, having added some kinds of technics and arms which now are absent in game!

За Родину , за Сталина !

(in reply to Kristo Vaher)
Post #: 13
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 8/23/2004 4:17:10 PM   
BEER

!!

За Родину , за Сталина !

(in reply to BEER)
Post #: 14
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 8/28/2004 9:06:46 PM   
Frank W.

so no update file from 7.1 to 8.2 to try this version out ?

(in reply to BEER)
Post #: 15
RE: Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? - 8/30/2004 3:20:39 PM   
frank1970

I think there won´t be any, so download the monster.

If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Whats exactly "new" in 8.2? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI