Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CTD since DirectX9C is installed!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> CTD since DirectX9C is installed! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CTD since DirectX9C is installed! - 8/4/2004 5:25:54 PM   
Harpoon_GER

I installed and played WitP since V1.0 and never had a problem with crashes to Desktop. I did all the soundfixes that were suggested before (renaming sounddir, renaming some of the corrupted sound-files etc) and everything worked fine until....

...I installed the new DirectX9 version C yesterday!!

Now the game crashes (CTDs) when I end a turn. After the computer made it´s decisions and after some Sub-action, the game begins with the air-operations and BAM!...CTD.

I believe it is sound related because it doesn´t happen with all air-attacks. It happens when bombers start the action, right when their engine sound should play.

Never happened to me before (around 40 turns in Mission 15 without a problem with almost working sound)

< Message edited by Harpoon_GER -- 8/4/2004 3:27:39 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: CTD since DirectX9C is installed! - 8/5/2004 12:34:30 AM   
Harpoon_GER

Tehe..managed to fix the problem!

Someone on this forum suggested to replace all the sounds with the sound-dir of Uncommon Valor ....et voilà....doesn´t CTD anymore and plays full sounds without those squealing (damaged) sounds.

Now I have to replace only the bad WitP-sounds with the UV sounds. Hope I find them all. The music in WitP is much better arranged btw! ;)

(in reply to Harpoon_GER)
Post #: 2
RE: CTD since DirectX9C is installed! - 8/5/2004 12:46:00 AM   
DrewMatrix

My theory (see my post somewhere on which sfx/wav files are "bad") is that only a few of the sound files cause trouble, and those only for a few people.

You may well have been playing without getting the unfortunate sound/sfx file cmbination that causes the crash. And now (unrelated to 9c) you happened to get it.

If, as suggested, you copy *.sfx to *.wav, test the sounds one at a time, remove any file that crashes the Windows Media Player (replacing them with UV files of the same name if UV has that sound) ("remove" means, if 1065.wav crashes the Win Media Player then remove 1065.,sfx from the /SOUND folder), then you will likely a) have sound and b) not have any crashes.

It has worked nicely for me.

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

Post #: 3
RE: CTD since DirectX9C is installed! - 8/5/2004 1:58:21 AM   
Harpoon_GER

Thanks for the suggestion! Will definetely try this out when I have some more time, since there are a lot of sound-files to check

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 4
RE: CTD since DirectX9C is installed! - 8/5/2004 2:23:38 AM   
DrewMatrix

quote:

a lot of sound-files to check

It took me less than 5 minutes.

1) use a DOS Batch file to copy the files. (Ask if you don't remember DOS Batch files)
2) Open the /SOUND folder in a long, vertical window. Make the Win Media Exlporer a small window to the side of the long window in the Windows Explorer.
3) Double click on each *.wav file. They will instantly play in the Media Player (or crash the media player, closing it)

Having the windows like that means you can just run down the entire list of files without having anything overlap the Windows Explorer window. Having a shortcut to the Media Player (so you can start it again when it crashes and closes) visible at the same time helps too.

If you have your third mouse button set to double click it goes even faster.

[third mouse key]-listen
[third mouse key]-listen
[third mouse key]-listen

Five minutes, tops.

(Oh yeah, have a subfolder "BADSOUND" in the /SOUND folder. Immediately drag the sfx file for any wav that crashes the media player to that BADSOUND folder. Then you don't have to remember file names nor write anything down)

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> CTD since DirectX9C is installed! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI